2006 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Odyssey:

2006 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 252013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Honda transmission failed at 67K miles. Transmission is still with the 3yrs/ 36K warranty in term of the year but over the mileage by 31K miles. Honda transmissions are very unreliable and the company does not acknowledge this transmission problem.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jul 032013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The 2006 Honda Odyssey has 100,600 miles, we were driving approx 75 mph on the freeway, and the RPM's increased greatly but the vehicle suddenly lost speed in heavy traffic. Soon, white smoke appeared from the front as we coasted to the nearest exit approx 1 mile away. It turns out the transmission failed without warning. All regularly scheduled maintenance on the vehicle was performed. Transmission failure with just 100K miles. We were fortunate to avoid an accident in heavy traffic.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Apr 092013

Odyssey

Recently it has started lugging between 15 and 20 miles an hour and the lugging is often preceded by a whining sound. Spoke with Honda mechanic who said there could be an issue with torque converter and need to be replaced.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Jan 262013

Odyssey 6-cyl

My Odyssey lost power/wouldn't accelerate/wouldn't shift as we approached the top of a 7% grade. We pulled over, shut the car off and checked fluids etc.. everything was fine. We tried to get going again and the van wouldn't go. We sat for about an hour and tried again, and the van got going again perfectly fine. We were able to get to Honda when it broke down again. Honda diagnosed it with a bad transmission/torque converter. The atf fluid was burnt (my Odyssey has the atf fluid cooler too). The tech said the vcm (eco mode, variable cylinder management) increases the load/stress on the vehicle and is a contributing factor of the break down. My Odyssey has been meticulously maintained at Honda Y Honda specs/recommendations. I had no previous indication my trans was going out (no gear slipping anything. It drove fine up until it broke down) I called american Honda for assistance in the repair, and they failed to even offer any sort of help. From what I've googled, Honda Odyssey have common trans/torque converter issues and american Honda is well aware of the problems on the Odyssey. After this, I will not buy another Honda.

- Pismo Beach, CA, USA

Jan 242013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The transmission is gone because of an inherent design problem in the transmission. Because the transmission fluid pump stops working correctly inside the transmission, the pressure is too low and the transmission grinds itself up. The car will slip out of gear and stop moving. There is nothing I could have done about it in preventative maintenance. I have to replace the transmission at a cost of approximately $4000 or more. This should not happen under normal conditions after 7 years even if the car has 150,000 miles on it.

- Sterling, MA, USA

Apr 042010

Odyssey 6-cyl

Based on a report today that Honda is recalling 2003/2004 Honda Odyssey where the issue involves the ignition interlock, a device intended to ensure that the key can only be removed when a vehicle is firmly shifted into park. I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey and had a similar issue in 2010 where after parking and removing my keys and I got down, the van moved backwards and the my front door hit another car in the parking lot damaging both cars, and I had to file a claim with unitrin direct. The result being I have a fault accident record on my license and my insurance went up for no fault of mine. I think Honda should recall even the 2006 model and pay me back from my repairs and extra insurance payments that I have paid and work with dmv/unitrin to remove the fault accident record that I have on my license.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jun 092009

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that after parking and exiting the vehicle it began to roll back. The contact mentioned that the vehicle rolled over her left foot and had to be taken to a hospital. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000 and the current failure mileage was 87.039.

- Hernando Beach , FL, USA

Jun 062012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission hunts between 4th and 5th gear during acceleration causing surges in the RPM and the car.

- Mercer Island, WA, USA

Oct 172012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Have had intermittent vibration coming from engine compartment. Primarily occurs at any speed when the vcm or eco mode activates. Not sure what other issues this may cause but seems unsafe. Honda dealer diagnosed issue as a broken rear engine mount. Cost to repair is $866.

- Marion, IN, USA

Aug 282011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Travelling on vaction on freeway at 100km ( 60 mph ) when my transmission went on my Honda Odyssey. Smoke from under hood, engine started to rev up and tacometer reved up bascially enough function to pull over to the side of freeway. We had towed to Honda where I was informed that my vehicle that I havent even owned for 5yrs at the time and only 120000km (75000miles) that the transmission was gone and would cost me $5000 to repair. We had our van towed back to our local dealer (2hrs away and across us boarder back to Canada) where they charged us $3700 do to us keeping up with all services. After all cost to have returned home and our family of six returned home I paid $4500 out of my pocket on a vehicle im still making $600 a month payments on. Unaccceptable.

- Abbotsford, Bc Canada V2t5g5, WA, USA

Aug 172012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission continues to shudder at 50 mph. It looks like it shutters until you hit the gas or let off. If you are coasting on flat ground, steady at the same speed, it will do it until you let off the gas or hit the gas harder.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Dec 062011

Odyssey 6-cyl

The van seems to stutter at low speeds usually 30-35mph. Lately the it has issue has worse and is experiencing problems at highway speeds.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Mar 312011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Soon after purchasing our 2006 Honda Odyssey ex I noticed a shudder when I was going slowly in traffic. It had trouble shifting up. Usually when this happens I'm only going between 30-45. It seems fine when I quickly accelerate. Now it happens almost every time I drive it. I know it's a transmission issue, because it sounds like all the other complaints here. I have taken it to the dealer we bought it from and of course they couldn't find the shudder. It was probably because they only drove it for 2 miles. I'm very frustrated with Honda and won't ever purchase one again.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 242012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission failed 3 weeks after a botched timing belt work by Honda dealer. Required replacing 3 valves and reconditioning of engine head.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 262012

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the vehicle would shake excessively and would not accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The dealer informed the contact that there was an internal transmission failure and advised her to replace the transmission. The manufacturer had not been notified of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 91,155.

- Los Angelos, CA, USA

Jan 272012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Front and side motor mount failure.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Jan 232012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Vibration and noise from engine or tansmission whenever car goes into eco mode. Does it at all speeds. Dealer confirmed that the car needs new engine mounts. Seems like ex-L and tourings have the same issue!!!! faulty mounts, bad design! dealer qoted $2000 to fix. Dont have money to cover the cost as I just had a baby.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jan 092012

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Odyssey. The contact was driving 65 mph when the vehicle rapidly decelerated to 20 mph. The contact depressed the accelerator but the vehicle would not accelerate beyond 65 mph. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the transmission would have to be replaced. The dealer did not give a reason for the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The current and the failure mileage was 106,000.

- Elkgrove, CA, USA

Jul 042011

Odyssey

Ever since about 90,000 the transmission shutters and makes a rumbling sound between 30-45 mph. A transmission oil "exchange" seemed to lessen the issue. But it has returned.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 152010

Odyssey 6-cyl

The car shakes really bad at about 30-35 miles per hour and also hesitates at times. You can feel the van shift very hard also.

- Apo, AE, USA