2007 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Odyssey:

2007 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 132014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while parking and applying the brakes, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The failure recurred one other time. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not been notified. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Pleasantville, NY, USA

Dec 012014

Odyssey

The engine was making pinging sounds like lifers were bad, but computer didn't show anything wrong and no engine lights came on, took to Honda dealer they said bearings bad and needed new engine. Why would that happen when engine oil was maintained and changed. Never over heated etc.

- Hayes, VA, USA

Oct 272014

Odyssey

The check engine light went on while I was driving on a four lane highway at 65 mph. There was no warning or previous sign of problems. The vehicle had not been driven under harsh conditions, and it was maintained appropriately. I was able to pull car into a dealership within less than 1 mile. I felt I had lost acceleration and power. It turns out that the spark plug blew through the aluminum cylinder head and I lost 2 cylinders on a V6 engine. I'm told that metal dropped into the cylinder scoring it deeply enough that it can't be repaired. There appears to be a wealth of documentation of this problem for Honda engines and Honda has denied any defect or responsibility. Fortunately, I was not in any accident or injured but this seems to be a safety problem, had I been on a major freeway, I'm not sure this would have worked out the same. The car will now have to be totaled a the repair costs cannot be justified ($6,000-7,500). Honda offered no good will in any way.

- Louisville, CO, USA

Oct 102014

Odyssey

My 2007 Honda Odyssey touring van had a problem with the engine icon appearing on my dash. I called my dealer, for this problem wasn't resolved on the last service visit. They said to bring it in. I added 3/4 qt. Of oil due to the oil level, at last check fine, now indicated the level to be at its lowest point in the approved range for runability. Services performed, and when I picked it up, I noticed the engine icon still flashing on the dash. Went in to get a service advisor to view, and on a second re-start this had disappeared. Thinking all was now well (and was this possibly tied to a software update service?), took the vehicle about 35 miles home to a grocery store. When I had finished shopping, and started my van, there it was again, the engine icon, flashing away. The next day I reported this to my dealer, and they said bring it in. As the engine was visibly hot, I said I would try and hoped to make it there. Getting of the turnpike exit, my van engine quit and luckily I coasted in to a park 'N ride parking lot. I called my dealer to find out they had no wrecker but used a service. They told me to get it there so they could look at it. I cooled the engine with hood up on a cool rainy day, and re-started my van, and made it to the dealership. I was supplied with a loaner car, and they said they would check over my van on the next day. After everything, we were notified we had blown a head gasket, leading to failure of our engine. This in spite of maintaining all fluid levels properly! we would need a new engine, and no, the extended warranty we purchased does not cover this work. Very, very angry!!

- Biddeford, ME, USA

Aug 252014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 79,438.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 272014

Odyssey

When accelerating from idle, at times, the engine is sluggish and doesn't seem to respond immediately. The engine revs slightly and then as it seems to engage, it jerks forward.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Feb 072014

Odyssey

On December 18, 2013, my check engine light came on. I took the van to an express oil change company the same day for an oil change and asked them to read the codes. The codes were random multiple cylinder missfires and they they advised me that I might need to have spark plugs changed at next oil change, but it should be fine to drive. The mileage on the van on that date was 94,482 miles. On February 7th, while driving to work, my check engine light began flashing and the van started to drive very sluggish. I called the mechanic I use for repairs and they advised me not to drive it other than to bring the van in. Upon reading the diagnostic codes, they stated that the spark plugs and coil packs needed to be changed. While attempting to remove the old spark plugs and coil packs, the coil pack and spark plug in cylinder 5 had completely melted and fused to the walls of the cylinder. My mechanic did some online research and spoke with a Honda technician and determined that the issue was due to a faulty vcm and that only replacing the head would not eliminate the problem. The Honda tech advised to replace the engine. These are the exact same symptoms as the class action law suit with 2008 Honda Odyssey engines.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Mar 012014

Odyssey

Loss of power steering & difficulty turning steering wheel. Paint on top of the roof has begun to fade. Had to replace oil pan because of lug nut damage to pan. According to the mechanic damaged was caused to the oil pan due to the quality of metal within the lug nut that is of harsher material than the oil pan. Therefore, it caused damage to the oil pan that required us to have an immediate oil pan replacement during a routine oil change.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 242014

Odyssey

On 04/18/14 I took my vehicle to tameron Honda because it was misfiring. The check engine light would come on then the engine would begin jerking and not responding. I paid $5940.01 because they said the engine needed rebuilding. This is a lot of money but I did not have a choice in that they told me I would not get anything on a trade in and I really couldn't afford another car. I picked up the car after the repairs were complete and the next day I was at a stop trying to merge across a 4 lane road. The engine started misfiring again and I couldn't get above about 10 mph. No one hit me but it could have very easily been a bad accident. I have taken my vehicle back to tameron 4 more times with the same scenario. Twice I have been on the interstate and lost power to about 10 mph. Again I managed to pull to the side without getting hit. Just a lot of horn blowing. The dealership really didn't have an explanation. The last time I talked to the service manager who assured me the problem was fixed and it was probably due to my "fuel". they continued to let me drive the vehicle even though I was telling them what was happening. A couple of weeks ago I was on the interstate with my grandson in the car. The engine completely shut off like a switch had been pulled. I hit my hazard light button and managed to coast to the side of the road. I had to call a tow truck.the explanation given was the fuel tank indicator had broken and I was out of gas. They replaced the indicator and also replaced the fuel pump which was recalled. They didn't mention the recall. I know my vehicle has 133,000 miles but this doesn't seem right. I am suppose to have a rebuilt engine and I am just waiting for the next incident. Next time there may be a crash.

- Fultondale, AL, USA

Aug 022010

Odyssey

In 2010 I had to have 3 out of the 4 motor mounts replaced on my engine and then last week I was told that I need to replace 2 of the motor mounts. I was told by the Honda service center this is not a normal wear and tear item and that I should not have had to have them replaced again 4 years later. I've also seen multiple complaints about various models of Honda Odyssey with the same problem. Your engine shakes terribly at start and while idling and has a hard kick when you start to go from braking and idling and jerks forward which I can only attribute to this problem. It caused me to brake because I thought my engine had fallen out of my vehicle or was about to and in stop and go traffic on the highway this can be quite dangerous. I believe this is a known problem by Honda as I've seen it mentioned on numerous websites and I have notified Honda myself just recently. I would hope they would look into this. I am not able to get this fixed as it costs nearly 1200$ every time this occurs.

- Sugar Land , TX, USA

Jun 182014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle suddenly hesitated and decelerated. The contact stated that the safety assist system warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- East Providence, RI, USA

Mar 172014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle began to shudder and vibrate violently accompanied by the illumination of the check engine warning light. The contact shut the engine off and when restarted, the failure recurred. The contact later noticed a reduction in power. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who stated that, the timing belt and motor mounts would need replacing. Additionally, the dealer suggested having a tune-up performed, as there were several misfire codes generated when diagnosed. The dealer continued to diagnosis the failure as the cylinder one coil having melted into the cylinder. As a result, the dealer was unable to remove the coil and spark plug from the vehicle. The dealer stated that the failure was caused by the spark plug becoming loose and fuel leaking into the cylinder head chamber. The manufacture was alerted of the failure but offered no resolution. The contact was concerned of the safety risk involved with the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Freehold , NJ, USA

Jan 012014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the vehicle decelerated while driving various speeds. The failure was experienced numerous times. The engine had to be restarted to regain acceleration power. The local mechanic performed a diagnostic and advised the contac that the engine oil pressure assembly switch was defective. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 68,500.

- Bronx , NY, USA

Jan 202014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Dealer is claiming that I need 2 new engine mounts to pass the next state inspection, quoting me 2300 dollars to replace. I have over 800K miles on several cars, never had a problem with engine mounts. I never heard of these mounts failing either.

- Royersford, PA, USA

Dec 272013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle erroneously accelerated as the vsa warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that there were cracks in the radiator that affected the engine temperature and caused the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Devon, PA, USA

Nov 262013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The large bolt that goes through the belt tensioner roller into the bracket attached to the motor has sheared off twice in the last 3 months after driving less than 5000 miles. This has happened once when driving at 50+ mph and most recently when driving 25mph. The first incident occurred after a Honda dealer replaced the timing belt, T-belt tensioner and serpentine belt. I'm unsure if they replaced the bolt in question at that time. However, within 500 miles of driving the bolt sheared off. Then a different Honda dealer replaced the broken bolt, tensioner roller and serpentine belt all of which were damaged when the bolt failed. Once again after driving less than 5000 miles the same bolt has broken. This is a potentially dangerous situation as well as being costly. The dealer is claiming no fault, yet these are parts that Honda dealers are installing in their own shops. This needs to be looked at to protect the consumer and avoid potentially dangerous driving situations.

- Coeur D'alene, ID, USA

Jun 062013

Odyssey 6-cyl

While traveling on flat, level surface streets at roughly 40mph, car would spontaneously downshift (to 1st gear?) causing the vehicle to slow very quickly/lots of drag (locking up seatbelts) as if the brakes were applied quickly. The vehicle will then reshift back into a higher gear with little to no resistance again. This may happen 1-4 times within a 60 second period. Pulling the car over, turning off and turning on again seems to fix issue. Shifting into second gear, seemed to fix issue. Shifting into neutral, power cycling car seemed to fix issue. Over the last 6 months or so, this has happened ~2X month.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Feb 052013

Odyssey 4-cyl

After stopping at a stop light driver accelerated to approximately 32 mph; the van suddenly decelerated to nearly a dead stop. Once the van returned to a normal speed the same event occurred within minutes of the first incident. Weather was rainy; driver was alone. The van was taken to the local dealer where they were unable to duplicate the incident.

- Vienna, WV, USA

Aug 082013

Odyssey 6-cyl

In a routine Virginia state safety inspection a Honda dealer failed my wife's 2007 Honda Odyssey van (50902 miles) for two broken motor mounts (front and passenger side) and a burned out brake light. I did not and do not believe that such a new, low mileage vehicle should have developed broken motor mounts, especially since my wife drove the van gently since it was new. Because the projected repair costs to replace the motor mounts, "cracked" compliance bushings and other unspecified bushings were expected to be several thousand dollars, I took the van to an independent auto repair shop for a second opinion. The independent shop did establish that the front motor mount was broken and that the other issues, however, were spurious. The independent shop agreed to repair the van for $368. I think that Honda has in this case designed and produced faulty motor mounts (I think that each Honda Odyssey engine has 5 motor mounts). I also think that Honda should issue a recall to replace the faulty motor mounts at no cost to the vehicle's owners and should reimburse owners (current and prior) for any related repair costs. Since a faulty motor mount triggered a rejection in a Virginia state safety inspection, this Honda motor mount failure issue is clearly a safety issue.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Aug 022013

Odyssey 6-cyl

While pulling out from work parking lot, vsa light came on, D letter gear was blinking, and engine vibrated abnormally. RPM could not get passed 3000. Also, checked engine oil when got home and it appeared to be low. The vehicle just got oil changed about a month ago.

- Audubon, PA, USA