CarComplaints.com Notes: Aside from peeling paint, the 2008 Honda Odyssey is a pretty reliable, generally trouble-free minivan.

2008 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Odyssey:

2008 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Sep 242016

Odyssey 6-cyl

Turning onto highway, heard a loud bang, checked my dash, no warning lights illuminated, thought it was a rock or road debris that hit the vehicle. Continued toward our destination at 55 mph, about a mile down the road the ABS lighted up, then the vsa, then the TPMS, then the seatbelt light, then the radio went out, the gauges were next, finally the battery light came on, I let the vehicle come to a halt using very little brakes. As soon as I stopped the engine died and no lights would come on, had to manually unlock and manually open the door. Called the Honda dealership, said it would be towed in that day 24 Sept 2016, there was no accident, but for this to happen with no warning whatsoever, is of concern to me. I don't know if this is a hardware or software glitch, we had the vehicle in for maintenance just this past week, timing belt, rear brakes, oil change. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you for considering this statement.

- Hilo, HI, USA

May 092016

Odyssey

The Honda Odyssey has a well known manufacturing defect with it transmission, including a class action lawsuit that was withdrawn by the plaintiff for an unknown reason- (likely settled by Honda outside of the class is my guess), related to the torque converter that american Honda motor co is unwilling to acknowledge and repair. Https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#Q=Odyssey+torque+converter+judder on May 9, 2016 scott clark Honda at 13000 E independence blvd, matthews, nc 28105, phone:(855) 507-6727, diagnosed this problem on my 2008 Odyssey and quoted $1727 to replace the torque converter. I contacted Honda customer relations at 310-783-2000 and was told that they would not cover the repair of the torque converter as there is no recall and they vehicle being out of the warranty period.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Car emits a grinding sound when throttle is in a cruise or slight accel position. Engine gets "stuck" at 1500 RPM's where it emits grinding sound the loudest. Can also feel it in the gas pedal. Normal sequence is this: 1) accel to ~40mph 2) once at steady state and in 4th gear, engine rpms will fall to 1500. 3) RPM will get "caught" at 1500, makes grinding sound 4) rpms might breakthrough 1500, pop up to 1800, and grinding noise will diminish. 5) rpms will then drop below 1500, then rise and get stuck at 1500 again along with infuriating noise and pedal vibration. Cycle is usually 5-10 seconds. Going slightly uphill makes it cycle more frequently. Going downhill doesn't make noise since trans is disengaged. It's also hard to tell if lower gears do the same thing because engine noise and vibration drown out grinding sound/feel. Other thoughts: - kind of sounds like a strong cross-wind (30+ mph) going across the windshield. - it also sounds similar to how a bad idler bearing on an ac compressor sounds. That kind of metallic grinding sound. - it's not the engine mounts (they've been replaced) - it's subtle and some people might not detect the sound.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Aug 192014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Autopark Honda replaced drive shafts because there was a popping sound coming while slow turns. I drove away and within 2 miles, all hell broke loose. There was a tremendous amount of metallic noise coming from the car and I nearly lost total control of the car. I could break I think. But steering and engine power were dangerously affected. Me and my kids would have been killed. I suspect the parts used were not of proper quality or the workmanship was poor. I can't decide. The dealership has been perfect with other repairs so I doubt it could have been workmanship but it is hard for me to say. People make mistakes.

- Cary, NC, USA

Nov 142014

Odyssey 6-cyl

I purchased this 2008 Honda Odyssey in 2011, with approximately 45,000 miles on it. During the winter of 2013, I began to experience groaning (and sometimes "humming") noises from the power steering system. Additionally, the steering wheel was hard to turn at low speeds. I assumed the vehicle was low on fluids so with every oil change (at the Honda dealership), I insisted the power steering fluid be filled. The Honda dealer was not able to identify any noises. However, last night on the way home from work at approximately 10pm, the noise re-appears. The steering issue is now following the noise making it difficult to steer the vehicle resulting in a safety issue in operating the vehicle. I know I share these concerns with other Honda Odyssey owners and our complaints are falling on deaf ears with the dealers. I really want to see these concerns addressed before someone gets hurt.

- Buford, GA, USA

Apr 012009

Odyssey 6-cyl

First complaint was described by the dealers as a humming in the transmission. My description is like a kickback or hard downshifting. Next complaint is brakes seem like you apply foot to pedal and it seems like your not going to stop while foot is all the way down. Then there's like a sound of something releasing or letting go.

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Jul 012014

Odyssey 6-cyl

On approximately 7/1, I was driving home. The car wouldn't switch gears and lost a bit of power. I was able to drive down an interstate during rush hour at approx. 40 miles per hour. I had the van towed to a friends house. The next day, I drove it to hondaman, a certified Honda repair shop, they did a valve adjustment. The valve adjustment didn't work. There was a clicking, vibrating, knocking noise at 2800rpms while the car was in park (metal on metal noise) and then when driving. Replaced the timing belt and tensioner as recommended, this did not solve the problem. Did another valve adjustment (according to the tsb) and that did not work. Recommendations was that the engine be replaced or rebuilt. At no point ever did the car have a check engine light, low oil light, or any other signs of problems. I took the car to brown's Honda, they recommended a cylinder head replacement, valve replacement and camshaft replacement. The items had shown metal on metal wear. The shops and based on research, this a sign of no lubrication. They shop told me that this happens and it is a fluke. I also notified them that there are numerous tsbs on my car and if I move forward with the front cam replacement, I am worried that since the issue could not be identified, that the rear cam and pistons' or camshaft would need to be replaced. I did have my oil pan and oil plug replaced 2 years ago and after researching more about my car, found that this was a defect in the model I purchased. I also called the misfire settlement and was notified that since no diagnostic codes showed up, there was nothing they can do to extend my warranty. Since the notifications only occur due to emission issues, the car engine would have blown up while I was driving with no warning. I had all maintenance with Honda and truly scared that this will effect other buyers.

- Glen Brunie , MD, USA

Jun 032014

Odyssey

When stopping at a red light, the car accelerates as if the transmission is surging. I apply the brakes and shift the car into neutral or park to stop the acceleration. This has happened on numerous occasions, I'm afraid of rear ending another car. Honda claims there is no problem.

- Richmond, CA, USA

Mar 052013

Odyssey 6-cyl

During braking between 20 - 40 mph, the vehicle surges forward. This has been most noticeable when going downhill and braking. It seams as the automatic transmission is downshifting prematurely (to high engine RPM) thus causing the vehicle to surge (jump) forward. This has occurred multiple time (more than 6) over the past 3 years. Note: Mileage and speed are estimated.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

Dec 212013

Odyssey

Strong vibration or judder while being driven typically at 20-45 mph or while being driven on an up or down grade. Also experienced no response of acceleration which caused very serious safety concern. Per Honda's tsb, torque converter is the issue if the problem returns after the software update. However Honda is not willing to take care of this issue.

- Trevor, WI, USA

May 132013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Spark plugged fouled in May. Oil consumption was at least a quart per 1000 miles at the time (every few weeks of driving). Had to replace spark plug and excessive oil consumption remains the same or greater. I am afraid that oil consumption will eventually cause engine failure while driving. Spoke to Honda multiple times and they either say oil consumption is normal or wait until failure for extended warranty to kick in.

- West Friendship, MD, USA

Sep 272010

Odyssey 6-cyl

9/27/10: Driver's side half axle/powertrain failed at 19,500 miles and had to be replaced. 7/15/13 at 44,550 miles, both the replacement driver's side half axle failed and also the passenger's side failed for the first time. At this rate it seems that the half-axles have to be replaced every 20-25 K miles.

- Scarsdale, NY, USA

Aug 172013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission shifted down from 65 mph and a car hit me from behind. I would say it took me down to 45 mph very quickly from 65 mph and then a car hit me from behind going North on I95 in Virginia. Little dent. Do not know who hit me because the traffic was heavy and it was late at night Saturday August 17th,2013. I did not notice anything more until the next morning. Now I have a transmission sign warning on my dash.

- Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA

Apr 072011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Brakes automatically applied during acceleration from 20-50 while entering busy highway slowing vehicle nearly to a stop. Managed to avoid approaching traffic and limp off the highway at the next exit. Problem recurred as I took side road back home. Problem also recurred as I took vehicle to dealer to diagnose the following morning. Dealer was unable to recreate the problem or provide solution. Problem persisted and vehicle was returned to the dealership two more times in 2011 with no resolution as well. Now 2013 with over 40,000 miles on the vehicle (out of 36,000 mile warranty), problem persists. Driver has learned to pull over and turn engine off to reset electronics necessary to temporarily overcome the issue. Still no diagnosis or resolution by dealership or Honda. This is not an issue caused by warped brake rotors, worn brake pads, or air in brake lines. ECM/PCM software updates in Apr and May 2011 were fruitless. I suspect that the problem is in either a sensor, a primary control unit, or software operating such.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Aug 222012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission with hesitation shifting and shudder on slight incline at about 32-35 mph and occasionally at higher speeds.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Dec 032012

Odyssey

Transmission with hesitation shifting and shudder on slight incline at about 32-35 mph. Also has hard downshifts through gears.

- Clemmons, NC, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

About 2 weeks ago...October 1, 2012, I took my Honda back in to Honda. My car had been accelerating on its own. I left my Honda there for 3 days, at which point they determined there was nothing wrong with it, and they would like me to bring it back in to drive it "with them." There is 100% something wrong with my van again! in addition a few days ago, I was putting books in the back of my van, and the hatch struts failed, and the back hatch door fell down on my head.

- Gresham, OR, USA

Aug 112011

Odyssey 6-cyl

On August 6, 2011 I took my 2008 Honda Odyssey (33,2281 miles) in to be looked at because there was a leak under my vehicle. It was determined that the front torque oil shaft converter/transmission was leaking. Upon repair, I got home, and was experiencing the same problem. I took my van back to Honda on August 11, 2011, only to have them determine that during the initial repair they had broke one of the seals during the install. They kept my vehicle for another 3 days, and gave me a rental car during this time. On November 4, 2011 (33,946) I took my car back in to Honda because my steering wheel had become difficult to turn, and there was oil leaking from under my van again. The steering issue and the oil were both repaired again. My vehicle was returned to me on November 7, 2011. On Friday March 3, 2012 (35,650 miles)I took my van back in to Honda because my vehicle was sling-shooting and having very rough transitions in shifting gears in low speeds 35-45 mph. On March 4, 2012 Honda informed me that my transmission was flare shifting and had complete internal transmission failure, and the entire transmission would have to be replaced. To date, I have been told that because it is over 36 months, (but still under 36,000 miles) it may not be covered under my warranty, and that they cannot provide me with a rental this time. Three transmission issues, brake issues, steering issues, etc later I am without a vehicle again. I'd say this is a lemon. Help!

- Gresham, OR, USA

Sep 292011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Car new to me 3/10 @ 34K miles. I am 2nd owner. All hondaa recall notices performed. All routine maintenance done per manual and then some. Complaint #1. I have noticed that the transmission seems to "jump" into gear at low speeds and feels like it is boggin out/jumpy at 60-70 mph on highway. This has been noticeable since 48K miles, therabouts. No problem indicator lights have come on. This powertrain problem concerns me terribly and will be taking it to a Honda dealer to inspect asap. I am hoping they can "simulate and identify" the problem. I am not the only one to notice this condition. I feel fortunate to have caught it early. I have done some research via car forums and too many owners have been dissed by bad torque converters, related components, and/or the entire transmission just out of warranty. Very costly never mind a safety issue. Every discussion I read people say that Honda will do nothing for them, that the dealer gives the run around and that they are switching to another make. Very disappointing to hear since I am a long-time Honda driver. Honda should be forced to issue a safety recall. Too many incidents complaint #2. I have noticed/can feel the eco switch from 6 to less cylinders on the highway since day 1. I have a 2000 Odyssey with 262K miles and it gets better gas mileage under identical driving conditions (e.g., 20.5 vs. 20.0 mpg). I do not believe this feature is working properly. If it is, then it is not an improvement and a waste of money. Please advise. Thank you.

- Berkley, MA, USA

Aug 012008

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The vehicle would vibrate while driving approximately 40 mph. Approximately 1 year later the contact received an unknown recall notice advising him to bring the vehicle to an authorized dealer for a transmission software upgrade. The software upgrade was supposed to remedy the vibrations. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the software was upgraded. A few weeks later the failure began to recur. The failure mileage was 1,000 and the current mileage was 240,100.

- Rivervale, NJ, USA