CarComplaints.com Notes: Aside from peeling paint, the 2008 Honda Odyssey is a pretty reliable, generally trouble-free minivan.

2.3

2008 Honda Odyssey miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Odyssey:

2008 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Nov 192016

Odyssey

Faulty ignition switch. Locks vehicle up and cannot remove key. Cannot start vehicle. This occurs when stopping and placing the vehicle in park.

- Buffalo, WY, USA

Aug 152016

Odyssey

The navigation system has been experiencing a failure to read the dvd which also is causing the backup camera system to fail while driving. The only fix to the problem is to restart the vehicle. The dvd for the navigation system in version 4.92 and was placed in the vehicle less than 5 years ago due to problems with the navigation system at that time while under warranty. I contacted Honda today and was informed by one representative that they were aware that dvds are wearing unusually fast, but there was nothing they could do except advise contacting the seller of the dvd to buy a new one for $149. I had spoken to someone yesterday who advised me to contact the dealer who had to replace components of the navigation in 2011 while under warranty. I did that and the dealer is unable to do anything more. I contacted the seller of the dvd and they were unable to provide a replacement for the failed dvd. I contacted Honda a second time today under the recall department and they advised me that there were no reports of these problems available to them and that this is not a covered item by recall or warranty. The case # is 04926816. Since they advised me they were unaware of this problem the second time with the recall contact I advised them I would make the NHTSA aware. Essentially the navigation system and backup camera system all shutdown due to unusual wear on the dvd under the drivers seat in the dvd reader and when a glitch in reading the dvd is encountered the entire system shuts down including backup cameras. I especially find this unusual as this dvd would virtually never be removed so all of the wear and tear is from inside the dvd reader leading to this failure. This failure can happen on startup, or while driving. This last occurred 2 days ago, but has occurred now over a 6 month-1yr period of time intermittently.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 192016

Odyssey

Vehicle was stationary, in drive with brake applied, on a city street at a red light, dry conditions. Sudden, unexpected acceleration/reving/engine surge occurred--with such force that I initially thought I'd been rear-ended. I applied pressure to brakes and put car in park. For a moment, it seemed as if the brakes failed--not sure. Surge continued for a number of seconds, then subsided. Had car towed. Mechanic could not find a problem, no evidence of event in computer history. I know I did not hit brakes and gas simultaneously, and besides, Honda says there's a built in safety device that limits surge to 30%--this was more marked. No rug pad under gas pedal either. Experienced driver with impeccable record.

- Concord, MA, USA

Sep 092015

Odyssey

Liftgate struts leaked gas and now liftgate of Honda Odyssey is hard to open and will not stay up.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Aug 042015

Odyssey

Rear liftgate pistons / lift support pistons failing. Hatch closes by its self, hitting / trapping / catching person in trunk area. Hatch very heavy! keep children away!

- Smithtown, NY, USA

Jul 292015

Odyssey

The automatic side door on the driver's side of the vehicle operated intermittently. The power to the door was turned off so that it could be operated manually. The door came off in hand during normal operation when attempting to close the door, except for the lower connection with the electronics. It took a mechanic, with help, about one hour to close the door, which is now completely non-operational. I have been informed, anecdotally, by several people, including a body shop owner, that this (automated doors coming off the vehicle in normal operation) is a common problem for Honda Odyssey vehicles. It obviously makes the operation of the vehicle unsafe until the door can be secured, and the use of the door is then prohibited.

- Oakmont, PA, USA

Mar 022011

Odyssey

Early 2011 after having some recall repairs done in the past like the brakes, leaking from the moon roof and the power steering problems, started noticing the engine light coming out for 1-2 days and then the oil light, checked oil level and refill was done but didn't notice any leaking. Subsequent services to the dealer told them about the events but didn't provided any clear report as to what is causing that. Lift gate shocks gave up after a few months and have them replaced from the dealer, again no clear explanations why the it's too soon for unexpected possible wear and tear, also in addition to telling them about the power steering seems to be causing a problem again because it's becoming heavy to turn the vehicle. This has been causing a huge problem and safety concern especially coming off from a parallel parking because it takes a lot of manuevering before I can get off from the spot and involves a great effort especially in an incline position. Recently about a couple of weeks ago, the same issue came in about the engine and the oil light showing up, oil level was low again but doesn't noticed any leaking. I did some search and I have seen a video on youtube about the error code P3400 and P3497 which is very scary and very significant to the life span of the engine. Also, recalling all these issues, I also noticed that there was a recall about the previously replaced lift gate shocks that I paid for last year. I just hope that the dealer will be responsible enough to acknowledge the vehicle flaws and prioritize the safety of the public consumer especially the mini van as it normally has children as it's daily passenger - being the family van.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 172011

Odyssey 6-cyl

On 12/17/2011, I took my 2008 Honda Odyssey in for service to have the transmission checked since there was fluid leaking and what felt like transmission slippage. Because I purchase the car new, had all of my services completed, and because the van only had 84,000 miles, you can imagine my surprise when sons Honda (same place where I purchased and had all services completed) informed me I needed a new transmission and quoted me a price of $4,105. Because the mileage was over 60,000 miles, when I filed a customer complaint with Honda customer relations, I was informed there was nothing that could be done.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Jan 022012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Power steering making wining noise. Fluid appears be bubbling.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Sep 082011

Odyssey 6-cyl

While attempting to secure my child into his car seat, the right side door slammed into my arm, causing extensive bruising. This is not the first time that the door has been malfunctioning. I have frequent issues keeping the door opened while trying to secure my children in their seats. Door will not just stay opened.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jun 022010

Odyssey

Minivan was brought to dealer to fix an overly-soft brake pedal, per a recall letter. Car was returned with brakes equally soft (or worse), so that even a "panic brake" procedure (using 240 lb of foot strength) could not trigger the ABS, brake assist, or other brake safety features. Car was returned to the (same) dealer twice more, with no improvement. Calls to Honda brought no results. Although there may be a simple fix (e.g., bleeding the brake fluid), Honda made no attempt to diagnose and repair the problems that arose during a recall procedure.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 012010

Odyssey 6-cyl

2008 Honda Odyssey. Consumer states that she was told by a friend there was a recall on 2008 Honda Odyssey vehicles and would like to know if her vehicle should be included in the recall since she did not receive a notice.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Nov 172008

Odyssey

The ac stopped working on our year old vehicle. When taken to the dealership for diagnostics they advised a leak was found on the ac condenser which was caused by road debris. They indicated that type of damage was not covered under warranty and handed me a repair estimate for $764.92. I declined the repair bid and took the vehicle home only to find out there are hundreds of other Honda Odyssey owners reporting the same problems and the same story given by the dealerships. After finding this information I confronted the dealer and attempted to bargain with them gladly offering to pay for the labor to install the new condenser but not for the part. Needless to say my efforts were futile and I was referred to Honda customer service. In January I filed a case with Honda who after about a week contacted me and informed that because the damage was caused by road debris they were could not be responsible. I certainly can not hold Honda responsible for road debris damage such as a cracked windshield or punctured tire. However, I still hold them responsible for their poor design and placement of such critical and fragile part in a place where is more susceptible to get hit by road debris. With years of car design experience you would expect a company like Honda would take this into consideration. However, they did not and expect the consumer to pay for their design flaw.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA