3.2

2009 Honda Odyssey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Odyssey:

2009 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Feb 022016

Odyssey

Unable to lift up passenger side window (front and rear) once window is down mainly in cold weather. Also time to time, unable to open front passenger side door from inside. I have to open and close the door using drive side button from inside the vehicle, or use remote control to perform lock/unlock function. For window operation it doesn't matter if the vehicle is moving or not moving. For lock operation vehicle is not moving. For both operation vehicle engine could be on. This problem has been there since the day one I bought the vehicle. Dealership was informed but they were unable to find the problem because most of the time problem recovers by the time we reach dealership (30 minutes later)

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Apr 152015

Odyssey 6-cyl

Took the car to the Honda dealership for emissions check light. Diagnosed as "nox sensor wiring harness chewed by mouse" per Honda dealership. There is no evidence of rodent damage or presence elsewhere in the vehicle. The Honda dealership did not provide me the pictures or the damaged part saying that it was thrown in the trash. The wiring was apparently covered by Honda rodent deterrent tape. I have contacted Acura/Honda dealerships, their extended warranty customer service and also the respective Acura/Honda manufacturer customer service. The same thing happened to my other car (Acura MDX 2009) within a span of one week with exactly similar presentation. When I requested information from the above sources, I was told that this was confidential information and is not available for customers and that is it is a rare event and not related to manufacturing defects and also there was no definitive trend in Acura/Honda(same company) nox sensor wiring harness being chewed by rodents and have refused to cover it under extended warranty program to which I have subscribed/purchased. I have another entry regarding the other vehicle at the NHTSA.gov website.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 252015

Odyssey 6-cyl

While driving on the highway at approximately 70 mph my wife's 2009 Honda Odyssey began to shake as I stepped on the gas the engine light came on and the vehicle lost engine power and I had to manually steer to the side of the highway.. upon opening the hood I could smell that something was burning. The vehicle was towed 79 miles to my mechanic. I was informed that a spark plug blew out completely and a portion of that plug entered the cylinder and damaged the engine. The entire threading of the spark plug was damaged and melted into the engine. I was informed that the entire engine needs to be replaced.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Aug 302014

Odyssey 6-cyl

When using the van on several occasions in the city streets. While raining and after it has rained, the van the battery light has turned on the has van turned off. I have taken the van twice to get this checked out and they have told me it does not have anything. I took it on September 2014 and again in November 2014. While using the van in the rain I have come to a stop sign to turn and going in to traffic the van it turns off. This happened again this last week on Nov. 25 2014. Because of this I am scared of using the van when it rains. My wife is always using the van with are grandchildren.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

May 052014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The car's ac system is malfunctioning. The air conditioning will sometimes blow cold air and other times blow warm air when on the lowest temperature setting with the ac on. Also, it will sometimes blow hot air on the driver's side and cold air on the passenger's side. We've taken the vehicle to two different shops (non-Honda) and both have confirmed the unit is completely charged and can not determine what the issue is. A search on the issue seems that several other owners are experiencing the same issue with their vehicles.

- Park Ridge, NJ, USA

Jan 012009

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the passenger's side automatic sliding door would lock independently and fail to open. The automatic trunk also could only be opened manually and the fuel cover would not open when activated, forcing the contact to pry it open with a sharp object. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,000 and the current mileage was 55,000.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Jan 262014

Odyssey 6-cyl

We owned a 2009 Honda Odyssey. This vehicle has been maintained well for years at Honda dealerships. I have purchased extended warranty for 120K miles on this vehicle since we were planning to use this vehicle for a long time. Last time I had any work done on this car was in 12/31/13 at a Honda dealership. It was a major service. We did not have any issue with the vehicle until the event that led to the fire on the vehicle. As my wife was driving her Odyssey on I-280/ca-85, she stated that all the warning lights/gauge on the dashboard came on. At the same time she realized that car would not accelerate. When she instinctively looked at the temperature gauge on the dashboard, it was normal (about halfway up) due to this symptom, she was forced to park the car to the side of the highway. At this point, my wife ordered both of my kids in the car to exit the vehicle and move to the side of the road on the highway. She did exit the vehicle as well. As the smoke from the car changed from white to black, she called 911. As she waited for the fire engine to arrive (which according to her took 10 minutes), whole car was engulfed in fire from bumper to bumper. When I arrived at the scene, there were police cars and fire trucks. Two lanes on ca-85 was closed. My wife and my kids were in shock and were crying. I took my wife and kids home afterwards. We lost personal items that were left in the car such as glasses, jackets, and other items. Santa clara county fire department told me that they will be opening up a case. I can not stop to think about what is the reason why this fire occurred on the vehicle. We did not have any indication that this would occur except for the last minute dashboard indication. Considering the vehicle was bought/serviced at Honda, we are beginning to lose faith on Honda vehicle/service in general.

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 142012

Odyssey 6-cyl

On May 12, 2012, I was driving about 50 mph when the van started to sputter. I came to a red light and the car acted as if it were about to cut off. The check engine light started blinking along with the vsa light. It rode very rough all the way to the closest Honda dealership as I was not in my hometown. They informed me that one of the spark plugs needed to be replaced. I went ahead and replaced all of them to the tune of $308.23. On November 23, 2012, I was driving about 60 mph when the same thing happened. The mileage was 105,001. Again, I was out of town and drove the car to the nearest Honda dealership. They said the #3 spark plug had fouled out. I told them to replace only the #3 plug. On my receipt it says, "retrieved code P0303...misfire #3 cylinder...found spark plug fouled out. Possible faulty valve seals...replaced spark plug and performed PCM software update." That cost me $138.76. On the drive home the air conditioning started to act up. It would run but sometimes it was cold and sometimes the air was not. On November 24, 2012, I took the car to the Honda dealership that I normally use. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with the air conditioning except for a dirty cabin filter. They replaced it and charged me $131.97. However, they said my brakes were worn out. That cost $359.68. Then there was the brake fluid exchange, transmission fluid exchange, and power steering flush. All in all the visit cost me $1049.61. Funny, on November 19, 2012, I had taken the van in for an oil change and they did a courtesy inspection. No mention of brake problem. November 26, 2012, car dead, wouldn't start. They replaced the battery under warranty. December 3, 2012, car dead again. Invoice reads, "A/C clutch relay stuck killing battery making A/C compressor run even when A/C off." Fixed for free due to all the problems.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jun 052013

Odyssey

Battery went dead at idle with ac on. While starting he engine, a abnormal sound was make by when trying to turn the engine over and the ac freon leaked out, doors would not open. After shut down, the car would not start and doors would not open.

- Fountain Hills, AZ, USA

Dec 012009

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that after turning the key halfway, the contact suddenly heard a sputtering noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. Approximately a few weeks the later, the failure worsened. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was approximately 15,797. The VIN was unavailable.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Apr 122012

Odyssey 6-cyl

The air conditioning (A/C) control relay on my 2009 Honda Odyssey failed less than 3 years after purchase, causing intermittent electrical problems that would prevent the car from starting. When the car's ignition switch is placed in the "accessory I" position, only the audio system and accessory power sockets should be engaged and able to operate. My A/C control relay failed in the closed position, causing the A/C compressor in my car to run continuously, even when the ignition switch was in the accessory I position. The end result was whenever I left the ignition switch in the accessory position for more then a couple minutes, the running A/C compressor would very quickly drain the battery, leaving the car unable to start. Placing the ignition switch in the accessory position for a matter of minutes should not result in a person being stranded !!! the part number for the A/C compressor relay on my 2009 Odyssey is omron G8hl-H71. Honda's corresponding part number is for this relay is 39794-sda-A03.

- Alamo, CA, USA

Oct 122011

Odyssey 6-cyl

My wife tried to open the (powered) liftgate via the handle. The liftgate would not open this way. When she tried the remote, it opened it apx 90 percent of the way. When it reached the apx 90 percent mark, it seemed that the motor opening it jammed and the gate came down quite quickly, falling unexpectedly on my wife's back. I researched this problem and saw that there is an open investigation on this same matter (NHTSA campaign id number: PE11034).

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Jan 162010

Odyssey

My vehicle is Honda odysee 2009 I purchase this unit U=in triangle dealers in P.R. and my unit have a difficult in the front with the punta de eje Y tiene que reemplazarla my husband paid for security bumper to bumper and he sevice is bad I waiting up January and this piece no arrive because triangle talk me and said american Honda worked order of November 2009 and my unit continue with defect I need help because is very iconvenient that this unit is new. I callng and this call to dealer always is negative please chek this unit.

- Carolina, PR, USA