4.1

2011 Honda Odyssey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Honda Odyssey:

2011 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 082016

Odyssey

I officially purchased a used 2011 Honda Odyssey from a local Honda dealership on October 5, 2016. Before I left with the new vehicle, the dealership service division replaced both the front and rear brake pads on the vehicle (see attached photos for service/repair invoice dated 10/4/2016). On October 7-8, 2016, I drove the car on a state highway in some mountainous areas both on a uphill and downhill slope at about 30-50 mph. I noticed that especially when driving on a downward slope, when I applied the brakes even slightly, the car began to perceptibly shudder. The greater the slope of the road, the greater the shuddering effect. I returned with the vehicle to the Honda dealership for another unrelated reason, but inquired about the shuddering and asked if during the dealership's safety inspections if any problems related to the brakes had been discovered, since the pads were brand new. The technician at the dealership informed me that the rotors had been warped due to excessive heat from braking. After I pressed him for more information, he told me that virtually every recently-produced Honda Odyssey (I.e., models manufactured in the last 5-10 years) that he had seen come through the service division experienced a similar warping problem after nearly every 30,000-40,000 miles driven. In his opinion, the rotors installed in Honda Odyssey were actually much too small (I.e., they did not have enough surface area) to be able to withstand the high amounts of heat caused by the large brakes required for the relatively larger model of vehicle (the van). He went as far as to tell me that he was accustomed to installing larger-than-recommended rotors in some of his customers' vans to try and avoid the problem. He said he wouldn't be surprised if a recall would be forthcoming on the rotors. I would like to request an investigation on these rotors to initiate such a recall.

- North Salt Lake, UT, USA

Jan 262013

Odyssey

When I brake driving 40mph or more, the car and the steering wheel will shake and vibrate extremely violently. This started when there was only 30K miles on the car so I took it to a dealer in tn and they said they didn't find a problem. Then at 42K miles, I took it to another dealer in va and the front rotors and pads were replaced. However, this did not fix the problem. Now the car has 70K miles and the shaking when I brake, was gotten worse. It feels like the car is out of control and not safe to drive, especially with passengers in the car. There seems to be a number of the same complaints on this site, so why hasn't there been a recall?

- Mclean, VA, USA

Aug 292016

Odyssey

Putting brakes on at high speed, like at interstate speed, vehicle and steering wheel will shake, and vibrate excessively. Warp front brake rotors. Vehicle only has 40,000 miles on it, but has been doing it since about 30,0000 miles. Usually not a problem since most of my driving is in the city, but when using the interstate it is scary if you have to make an emergency stop. Feels like you can loose control.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Jul 142016

Odyssey

2011 Honda Odyssey exl as I was driving with my family two babys on the freeway 65 miles all of a sudden the vehicle the vsa light came on and the van break by itself almost got rear-ended, I was lucky that there was a exit to the left as I was driving on the left fast line. I tow to the Honda dealer the want to charge me $123+ tax for diagnosis to find out what happen. It was a nightmare with to baby in the van, after some online search I find out that alot of Honda owner complain about the same issue, defects vehicle stability assist (vsa) the vehicle has only 12000 mile, when I bought the vehicle there was nothing wrong with it. Can someone help by the Honda of America is responsible there should be a recall for this it is manufatured defective vehicle what are you guys doing to protect the american people?

- Escondido, CA, USA

Jan 312013

Odyssey

The vehicle shakes quite a bit when braking from highway speeds, such as when entering an interstate highway offramp. Apparently this is caused by prematurely warping brake rotors.

- Central Point, OR, USA

Mar 162016

Odyssey

Brake rotors are warping, 2011 model with 32000 miles, found many similar complaints on this web site.dragging or skipping when vehicle in motion and brakes applied. Dealer calls it normal wear and tear.

- North Port, FL, USA

Aug 152011

Odyssey

In 2011 after we bought the vehicle we took a trip to Colorado where our brakes failed, I was pushing the brakes gently down a hill and after about 1 minute the car started to shake violently, I thought I had a flat so I pulled over and checked but the tires were fine, than I realized that the disc brakes have warped making the car difficult to slow down, after we made it back home we took the car back to the dealer were they turned the brakes to smooth it out and told us it was fine. It was fine for a little while 2-3 months when it started doing it again, we took the car back to the dealer again this time they replaced the discs in the front but they didn't want to we just had to fight with them to get it done. It didn't take but about 5000 mile when it started doing the same thing, this time I called other friends who owned the same style minivan and they told me that they experienced the same issue with the braked, this time I ordered a set of high performance disc brake set for the front to see if it makes a difference and it did. I had those disc brakes on for 2 years and the car is fine, the issue is that the brakes are not made well enough to hold up on the long term, because after braking down hill for about a mile the disc brakes in the front warp and cause the vehicle to shake violently, I told my friends what I did to remedy the problem and they all followed my lead to change out the factory front discs with a better quality one, and that seems to be working for now. I strongly suggest some to look into this matter because Honda should have upgraded the brakes on their own why should I have to pay out of pocket while the vehicle is still under warranty to have a safety issue like this fixed. I can tell you this that I will not be owning any Honda product in the future, I had too many issues with this one.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 122012

Odyssey

Vibration in brake pedal and steering wheel when braking, extremely noticed at speeds above 45 miles per hour. Dealer did not acknowledge problem at 09/12/2012, but found and 'fixed' warped break rotor at about 45000 miles on 7/9/2013. Problem (vibration and pulsing of steering wheel and brake pedal) soon reappeared and on 7/27/2015 returned to dealer and was told that warping had again occurred. Called Honda, who said that the they were not recalling the original brake rotor (part number 45251-TK8-A01 even though it is no longer available and has been replaced by 45251-TK8-A02. The new brake rotor now being put on 2011 and later Honda Odyssey has increased internal thickness (more mass and smaller air vents) and other changes. For my car, the older rotor is defective, why has it not been recalled?

- Galena, OH, USA

Jul 022015

Odyssey

My 2011 Honda Odyssey has recently started to exhibit extreme steering and wheel wobble when braking. It started to wobble initially at speed. Now it wobbles at almost any reasonable speed. Honda does not seem to have any recall information about this. At speeds it is severe enough to warrant a loss of control specially driving downhill on curves. It is very hard to keep control of the vehicle.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jul 102013

Odyssey

While braking, the steering begin to shimmy. Checks by a tire/brake shop verified that the front rotors were warped. Rotors were removed and turned to remove warping. Satisfactory performance of braking was restored but at 60,000 miles problem began to reoccur. I intend to replace rotors and pads with quality material (non Honda parts) to correct the problem. I'm greatly disappointed with Honda and their poor material quality.

- Charleston, SC, USA

May 222015

Odyssey

Severe vibration while braking at any speed above 45 mph. I'm reporing this problem May 2015, however I have noticed this going on for about 2 year and didn't know what it could be, thought it was road conditions. Since I don't drive freeways very often (very low miles on my 2011 Honda Odyssey) I didn't give it much thought, however now that I'm driving more frequently at higher speeds on various roads, there is definetely a vibration upon braking.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 102014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2011 Honda Odyssey. While driving approximately 10 mph, the brakes failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 39,000.

- Needham, MA, USA

Apr 162013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The brakes rotors appear to be warped and vibrate very violently when braking moderately at higher speeds. This violent vibration makes control of the vehicle difficult in those situations when it occurs. The dealer has identified nothing wrong.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Feb 262014

Odyssey 6-cyl

This vehicle has issues with excessive wheel vibration when braking at high speeds attributable to premature failure or warping of the brake rotors. I have nearly 60,000 miles on my van and have had to replace and/or turn my brake rotors about every 10,0000 to 15,000 miles. When the condition occurs, it seems to progress rapidly to the point of becoming dangerous when trying to stop at high speeds. The steering wheel shakes violently and it is difficult to control when stopping. I have searched online and have seen numerous accounts of other people with the same problem. I searched for "Honda Odyssey pulsating brakes" and got several sites listed. I added my complaint to one of the sites that had over 100 complaints. Honda should pay to have the rotors turned or replaced at regular intervals to prevent this from occurring so frequently. It is either a defect or bad design or both.

- Niles, MI, USA

Feb 132014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2011 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while decelerating, the vehicle shook violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the rotors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN were not available.

- Southhampton, NJ, USA

Dec 232013

Odyssey 6-cyl

12/23/13-while driving on I95 at 65mph the vehicle engine shut off without warning but the radio/lights remained on, vehicle became difficult to steer and brakes had to be pushed to the floor, vehicle came to a stop on the side of the road approx 300 feet later. Vehicle restarted and was driven to dealership, dealer stated could not be replicated and that fuel system needed to be cleaned, service performed as suggested. 12/25/13- while coming to a traffic light, engine shut down without warning but radio/lights remained on, restarted and drove home. 12/26/13- while approaching stop sign vehicle engine failed but radio/lights remained on as in accessory mode, steering and braking became difficult to control vehicle, this time the engine light came on and remained lit. Van was towed to dealership to be repaired. Dealer stated no error code although the engine light was visibly on, no obvious reason for the vehicle to do this. Dealer suggested replacing engine control module at their expense. Repairs have not been completed yet as they are waiting on the part to arrive. During these failures there was no warning and little time to react, the van became near impossible to steer as if the steering wheel was locked when in the anti-theft mode after parking. The vans brakes although pushed to the floor did not respond immediately even while traveling at low speed.

- Middle River, MD, USA

Sep 032013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the brakes failed causing an increase in stopping distance and time. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 11/6/13 the consumer stated during a recent drive down the mountain hill, the brakes began vibrating. With the brakes violently pulsating, they failed to effectively slow the car down. The front brake vibration occurred several times before on mountain roads. Several auto mechanics including the dealer, gave a general explanation that heat build-up warped the brake discs and caused the vibration. It was also suggested when traveling down steep mountain roads, the driver should switch to 3rd gear and ease off the accelerator allowing the engine to help reduce speed. Updated 11/14/13

- Gilbert , AZ, USA

Apr 092012

Odyssey 6-cyl

We bought the vehicle brand new in 2011. We first experienced the problem with the brakes in April 2012 (at 19,327 miles) when heavy vibration was felt during braking. The vehicle was taken to Honda for inspection, determined the rotors were warped. New pads were replaced and rotors resurfaced. Eight months later (at 30,593 miles), same issue occurred again. Rotors were warped for unknown reason; necessitating a resurfacing and replacement of brake pads for the second time. Seven months after second visit (at 38,841 miles), the same issue occurred for the third time - the rotors were found warped again. Like the previous visits, the adviser was not able to articulate the cause of the issue, only this time blamed my driving behavior. I told the adviser I have other vehicle which is driven and handled in the same way but does not need constant brake services like the Odyssey (3 times in 16 months). He then change his theory and concluded that I wasn't driving enough - not allowing the pads to properly sync with the rotors, and suggested I should drive the vehicle more. To make matter worse, I was forced by the adviser to agree that the dealer will not be warranting any more front brake job because I wasn't driving enough and that the issue could reappear again 6 months later. I contacted America Honda but they offered no assistance, since they indicated there were no known issue filed. I feel the vehicle was poorly made or assembled thus creating the above issue.

- Dublin, CA, USA

Sep 032013

Odyssey

On 9/3/13, while driving five children to school in our leased 2011 Honda Odyssey, the engine shut down abruptly and without warning while I was turning through a major 4-way intersection. The steering wheel and brakes immediately locked, leaving me completely paralyzed and unable to control the vehicle. The Odyssey coasted into a yard, narrowly missing a large pole, where I was able to place it into park and restart it. I drove back onto the street and exercised great caution to proceed the short distance to school. Approximately one mile later, the engine completely shut off once again. This has occurred a total of 5 times over the past year (twice while stopped at a red light and three times while the vehicle was in motion - twice on city streets and once on the highway). I delivered the vehicle to our leasing dealer, ganley Honda in North olmsted, Ohio, on 9/3/13 for service, where it remains to this day. Ganley Honda's service department has been unable to identify and/or resolve the cause of the engine problem. They have indicated that unless they have "evidence" of the malfunction, the vehicle is fine and safe to drive. Since their computers have generated no error codes and road tests have not replicated the potentially latent malfunction, they maintain that there is no problem. They are now ready to return the vehicle to us for the duration of our lease (we have five months remaining). This is the fifth vehicle over the past 16+ years that we have purchased through this dealership. Given the engine's pattern of shutting down unexpectedly and without warning, leading to the steering wheel and brakes locking, we feel the vehicle is unsafe to drive and are unwilling to place ourselves or our children into it unless the cause of the engine malfunction is identified and the problem is resolved.

- Avon Lake, OH, USA

Jul 012011

Odyssey

When we purchased this vehicle the dealer told us the Odyssey has a new and improved breaking system. Six months after we purchased the vehicle we had a wobble when breaking (8,000 mi). We took the vehicle to the dealer and were told nothing was wrong. The issue continued to get worse and we returned again at 20,000 miles. At that point we were told the rotors were warped but it is an "annoyance" and not a safety issue. Now at 38,000 miles the vehicle shakes violently when breaking. I am told its my driving habits that caused this. I have never had another car with break issues prior tot 50,000 miles. The dealer wants $350 to fix with no guarantee the issue will not occur in another 8K miles.

- Beaverton, OR, USA