2013 Honda Odyssey steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda Odyssey:

2013 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Jul 182015

We purchased a 2013 Honda Odyssey exl 1 year ago (7/18/16). We immediately experienced excessive vibration of the steering wheel while driving, and also braking at highway speeds. The dealer replaced the front tires about 4 months out to correct the problem. I didn't work. We asked them to consider the rotors as the issue, but they were reluctant since they were just resurfaced them before we bought the vehicle. Eventually, they did agree, and all four rotors needed resurfacing. The service dept told us our 8 month old tires had wear beyond the normal amount, and suggested it was probably caused by the vibration problems. We're getting another set of tires from the dealer, but are concerned that we will soon be having to resurface the rotors again based on the history I've already spoken of here, and other complaints that have been filed. We feel Honda should be forced to recall and replace the rotors on the 2013 Honda Odyssey. There is certainly enough documentation of the problem.

- Haven, KS, USA

Nov 012015

My Odyssey is 19,600 miles. I'm experiencing vibrations in brake paddle, accelerator paddle and steering wheel when braking and while accelerating between 35-40 miles. Took this vehicle to service center, they wrap rotors. So, braking vibrations are gone, but accelerator vibration is on. Honda service center cannot resolve it as vibration is not heavy. This seems to be common problem with many Honda Odyssey owners. I request you to help resolving this issue for me and all owners for once and all.

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Jun 032016

From reading forums and blogs on this particular Odyssey year and experiencing first hand, I'm just in disbelief that Honda won't recall this situation! the van only has 21000 miles on it (bought it certified) and I'm hoping that when I call Honda they'll do the right thing for this is a safety issue in plain sight! breaking when coming down a steep grade of highway and suddenly getting a violent shaking on the steering wheel and feeling the tires skip and can that not be a recall issue?! especially having family in the vehicle! I'm going to call Honda customer service line (like others have) and voice it out too. Hopefully they will see the importance of this situation and stand by their quality and name. They do have the best vans, believe me I've had 4different makes, but to read and experience the breaking issue and Honda not recalling it...that's not right especially if families lives are at hand! Honda, please do the right thing!

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 092014

We bought this vehicle brand new - single owner car equiped with genuine Honda parts. The front rotors quickly and prematurely ware down causing severe braking and steering issues, mainly hard vibrations of the steering wheel and it feels like the whole car shakes and you could easily lose control if not having both hands on the steering wheel. The problem usually occurs or is most noticeable during longer road trips (after ~120 miles) once the rotors are hot and the degree of the problem is definitely worse as you drive down (decline) or up (incline) and it does not subside rather gets worse if pressure is applied to brakes going down hill. Rotors should last much longer than 16K miles. We are cautious, safe drivers and have not put a lot of miles on this car and drive mostly highway and interstate roads. The dealer temporarily fixed the problem by rotating/sanding down the rotors at 15,823 miles but now with only 31, 287 miles on it, the problem has resurfaced with the vibrations slowing getting more frequent and stronger to the point the whole steering wheel column shakes. It is very scary as the van "thumps thumps thumps" and the steering wheel shakes rapidly going down inclines and/or whilst braking. Now the dealer is saying the rotors shouldn't be rotated again and are no good, at only 31K miles, and need replaced.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Jun 102015

While reducing speed with brake, steering shaking badly. It happens especially when reducing speed by braking from highway speed like 5,60mph or higher. This feels me dangerous especially braking while not in straight road. Especially suddenly reaching to the end of traffic jam in curved road, hard to control driving along the curve with such steering shaking. This shake is that much bad. I researched online and many people claiming about this issue of this make of this model but how the dealer deal with this issue is different depends on dealer.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 122014

Front end began to shake on braking, more noticeable at higher speeds and going downhill, very dangerous condition, dealer said it was warped brake rotors and the alignment was off, rotors were ground car was aligned to fix problem even though it was almost new and one of the more expensive models, after 12000 more miles the same problems have reoccurred, again no sympathy from the dealer, he blamed it on normal wear and potholes.

- Cary, NC, USA

Apr 272014

Odyssey 6-cyl

I have owned six Honda Odyssey's and the last three starting with the 2007 model all needed to have a new power steering pump because it starts to whine and not pump well. Previous models have all failed under warranty. I currently have a 2013 Odyssey that has 41000 miles on it and once again the pump started E steering has given out twice in the last week. It is random and without warning all of a sudden I can't steer without great effort. I about got hit the first time as I was turning around on a main road and the steering just quit, no power steer at all. It usually recovers quickly but if I were not an experienced driver I would have been in two accidents because of this problem already. Honda will not replace their known defective pump under warranty because the car has over 36K miles. I think Honda should replace the defective pump under warranty as this is not a new issue for them and I personally have had two of these vehicles since 2007 that have had a bad pump. This is a serious safety issue and perhaps Honda needs some government help to be forced to deal with this issue that continues to plague their vehicles with a dangerous situation that needs corporate action to remedy.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jul 042013

Odyssey 6-cyl

My car is 2013 ex-L. when mileage was around 18K, car started vibration when braking between 45 to 75 miles per hour. Dealer told me it happened because of my driving funny... I have 3 more cars..but only this Honda Odyssey has problem... also I found lots of 2013 Odyssey owners has same break problem on the internet.. Honda should recall this problem.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Jul 102014

I have a 2013 ex-L with 18K miles, started noticing slight vibration when braking from approx 50 mph in the steering wheel. I live in Florida and thought nothing of it more than an annoyance. This past 4th of July went to nc when driving about 45 mph while going down a hill and applying brakes the vibration became terrible, the vibration became a safety issue as the whole van would rattle and shake. Took notice of this and videoed the occurrence. When I got back to my city took the van to Honda and showed the master technician my issue, stated that it could be warped disks, and quite common on Odyssey and Pilot. He did state he had not seen the vibration as high as on the video, again I give credit to the flatness of the Florida peninsula. Honda resurfaced the front disks at no cost, but said that usually they do not as the braking warranty is 12 months or 12K miles. I did call and raise a ticket w/ Honda of America, letting them know all that had occurred and offered them the video as well, also discussed with the Honda rep. That warped disks at less than 20K miles should be a design flaw, and that maybe if enough people complain something may be done. Currently my van is running well, but wondering if in 20K miles I have to resurface the disks again or buy high performance disks to avoid this.. again for a car over a new street value of $40K I believe certain wear and tear parts should be designed to last at least more than 25K or at least two years of use.. just my two cents.. hope this helps others.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Jan 312014

The contact owns a 2013 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the front driver's side emitted a loud noise as the steering wheel moved abruptly to the left. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a ditch. The contact did not sustain any injuries. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure however, the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 10,000.

- Bluff City , TN, USA

Jul 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The car pulls to left at speeds above 60 mph and get worse the higher the speed. I am familiar with Honda Odyssey as I have owned this one since 2003 and it has 180000 miles. This new one drives fine in town and at speeds 60 or below. I have taken it back to dealer and they did re alignment and lowered tire pressure to 30 psi but I like to run at least 35 psi. Can you let me know if anyone else has had a similar problem. I love the car otherwise. It is no fun to fight a car trying to pull to the left at 75 mph. It is a dangerous problem.

- Millbrook, AL, USA