CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 and 2015 Honda Odyssey shows an early trend of transmission problems with clunking/jerking when shifting gears.

Most of these Odyssey transmissions are still under warranty, but so far Toyota generally hasn't been able to diagnose or fix the clunking problem — that's the reason for our low rating. Some owners have reported it was a stuck solenoid, & in a few cases Honda has replaced the entire transmission.

As more of these Odysseys start exceeding the 60,000-mile powertrain warranty limit, buyer beware.

8.1

2015 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Honda Odyssey:

2015 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

May 302016

Odyssey

Had my vehicle drove on freeway for an hour and when pulling on to a shopping center, there was a stop and go. At that point the engine/transmission starting jerking and shaking. There was sound from engine/tranmission like some metal crushing or breaking. Stopped the vehicle for a while and the issue didn't happen again. Dealer not able to replicate this issue and so no fix.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Oct 212015

Odyssey

2015 exl Odyssey 5000 miles driving home from work about 20 mins into my drive with 70 degree good weather. Tranny startes to clunk into gear. At first I noticed a lite clunk giving gas to pass someone. Then I noticed the clunk got worse the harder I gases it. What I realized is. That when the car shifts into gear or downshifts the tranny would slip and clunk. Then when I came to a full stop and accelarated the 1st to 2nd gear shift was terrible (bad clunk) it continued everytime the car shifted into 2nd. It was so bad I decieded to put car into 1st gear and hold it and manually shift to 2nd. I was able to soften the clunk by taking my foot off gas counting to 3 and then shifting while decelerating. However I did notice that the more load on tranny during shifts translated into a harder clunk. Anyway I limped car home went on on internet and found many people to have this problem, what I found was people saying to turn off car and restart, thus resetting the computer. And yes I did that and problem gone. So basically I think that the tranny may have an adapitve learning module for the tranny that tells valves in tranny when to shift. And I think that when I was driving and went to pass someone I must have glitched the computer with to much load at just the wrong time during a shift. Which made the computer engage the shift later then the valvebodies to create that clunk. I.e. when your car is about to shift into 2nd gear and you leave your foot off gas and than gas it at exactly the time of the shift you get that clunk, only not as bad as what I was experiencing. From what I am reading I will not even bother call the dealership about this unless the problem continues and gets worse. But for now I will be mindful of my shifts and how I hit the gas during my shifts. Cant wait till my lease is up. No Honda for me next time. I am only 3 months into my lease so very sad

- Port Jefferson Station, NY, USA

Sep 252015

Odyssey

I had been driving for about 1 hour on the highway with no issues. After getting off the highway L I came to a stop at a traffic light. Upon proceeding after the light when I would accelerate between 15 & 20 mph the car started to jerk or buck forward when going from 15 to past 20 mph. It did this again at 25 to 30 mph. Once past the 30 mph speed I was ok again. This happen each and every time I would stop and then proceed again.the car would jerk and buck forward while going from 1st gear to 2nd gear. There was no check engine light that came on. It felt each time as if I got hit from behind that is how the jerking forward felt. I stopped the car, did not turn it off & put into park.when I put it back into drive before removing my foot from the brake the car in the drive mode was starting to rev forward even though I had my foot on the brake. I did not turn the car off not knowing if it would restart. I then proceeded home and this same issue happened each and every time I would stop and try to accelerate again. This is definitely a power train issue of some sort. I contacted clinton Honda service dept.of clinton NJ on 9/25 @ 6:45 pm to report my problem. I spoke to the service manager mark and he stated he was unaware of any issue that there was about this with the 2015 Odyssey. I will be at the dealership on 9/26/15 to have the vehicle looked at..

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Aug 092015

Odyssey

On August 9, 2015, we were driving home from vacation from cedar point, Ohio to pittsburgh, pa. This is about a 200 mile trip. The vehicle ran smoothly the entire trip until I left the turnpike of driving 60-70 miles per hour and then began driving on a road with a 40 mph speed limit. All of a sudden I was at a red light waiting in traffic. As soon as the light turned green, I pressed the accelerator. We began accelerating to 25 miles per hour but knew something was wrong. My car would not leave first gear. The gauge on the dashboard went from 1-7 gear but nothing happened. I was in the passing lane traveling 15-20 miles per hour in a 40mph zone. I then proceeded to change lanes when all of a sudden the entire car jumped as if it had a mind of its own and began to accelerate. The car began driving faster but not any faster than 40 mph. Again, all we could hear was rooooooom and the dashboard indicator looked like windshield wipers going from left to right. The car would not leave 2nd gear. This continued to happen over and over again at each red light. Since this was a Sunday, the service center was closed. It wasn't until Wednesday that the dealership was able to take a look at my vehicle. Since no sensors indicated a problem, they stated there was not a problem and there was nothing they could do. I am not fabricating this incident one bit and am afraid of this happening again but having a different outcome. If I experienced this problem and the dealership dismissed me because a sensor did not indicate a problem, what does it take for a sensor to trigger? this is a leased vehicle of 1 month and I am very concerned of it happening again or worse. I am a single mother of 3 and should not have to worry about the safety of my children and myself in a 1 month old vehicle with less than 2,000 miles.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 062015

Odyssey

While accelerating after being stopped at a stop sign, the car made a clunking noise and the car jerked severely as we accelerated into gear. It happened at least 2 more times after being stopped at a couple of stop signs. It was very frightening when it happened and is a safety issue as the driver's attention is taken away when it happens. The scariest part is not knowing when it's going to happen. When there is a need to accelerate quickly across traffic, we are worried the same thing will happen again or that the car won't make it through the intersection. I don't feel safe driving this vehicle while the issue is outstanding. This is an unacceptable issue that having read other forums is happening to others with 2014 and 2015 Odyssey's and the dealerships are bot understanding the cause or fix for the issue due to it happening sporadically. This calls for action before it leads to someone being harmed. It's a major issue and pressure needs put on Honda to fix the issue!

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Jul 212015

Odyssey

I was driving in rush hour stop and go traffic and once I stopped and accelerated between 10 - 20 mph the car would make a loud clunking noise and the car would shake as if the car was slipping gears, and then would drive fine. Once I stopped again and accelerated it would do the same thing. It did this 6 times in a row so I pulled over and had it towed to the dealer. Dealer could not replicate issue, no codes or errors could be seen, and the car had the latest software update. I requested the dealer hold onto the car for two days to try and replicate the issue. Awaiting results.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Oct 152014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2015 Honda Odyssey. While driving at 65 mph approaching a stop sign, a burning odor emitted into the vehicle and felt as if it were going to stall. The failure recurred four times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 8,000.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Mar 132015

Odyssey

Very loud clunk noise and vehicle jerks when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear going approximately 20 miles. Could not duplicate the issue after engine restart. Not acceptable behavior with vehicle over $40K and under 1K miles of use.

- Chantilly , VA, USA

Feb 192015

Odyssey

I just recently bought a 2015 Honda Odyssey (Jan.2015) and at around 1700 miles I felt a double clunking sound/jerk when I was going at about 15 mph to 20 mph. I kept riding my van straight to the dealer and every time I came to a complete stop, and started up again, it would make the same loud clunk when shifting from 1st to 2nd at around 20 mph. My biggest mistake was to turn the engine off when I arrived at the dealer, as when you do that, the issue goes away (I wish I knew this issue the first time, cause now Honda has not been able to duplicate the problem). It has happened 3 times and my van has about 2800 miles. The third time it happened was late in the day, service dept. Was closed, so no luck there. I just went ahead and recorded the anomaly as I was driving it. After a few shots of it, I pulled over, re-started the van/engine (as I know that clears up the issue) and after that it continued as nothing ever happened (I also recorded that too to show the dealer). I emailed the assistant manager at my local Honda service dept and attached the videos. Hopefully, they will come with a solution soon, as they have not been able to duplicate the anomaly. I found out that there are synchro sensors in all Honda transmissions, one for every shift. Well, it sounds like the synchro sensor that goes from 1st to 2nd is the one acting up. I mentioned that to the techs at Honda and hopefully they will look into it. No rhyme or reason, just does it and Honda keeps saying that there's nothing wrong, and nothing shows on their computer when they plug in the diagnostics system to the van.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Dec 122014

Odyssey

I was driving in traffic for an hour or so, in first or second gear. After a while, anytime we would accelerate to about 20 mph, we experienced a violent jerking as if we just ran over something. This happened consistently every time we accelerated to or decelerated to 20mph. Took it into Honda the next day and they couldn't find a problem. The jerking was very strong and consistent for about an hour or driving. We are still planning to call Honda, it seems like others have experienced the same issue but no root cause has been found.

- Bristow, VA, USA