1. need new latch (1 reports)
2003 Honda Pilot accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Pilot:

2003 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Apr 182012

Pilot EX 3.2L

click to see larger images

middle seat won't recline

The plastic latch to my 2013 middle seat recliner is broke. You can see in the photo the two connection areas have torn, causing the cables to fall out both sides. The other plastic piece is also broke, one of the glides snapped off. Very upsetting because the Dealer quoted me $500 to fix, or I can do it myself but I need to buy the entire system for $236 plus tax. I don't need to replace the whole system, nor would I want to anyway. There is a lot of tedious work to fixing this. It is absolutely ridiculous to not sell the lever separately and force the customer to spend $236-$500 and buy the whole cabling system, just to replace the small plastic part that is the product of Honda's bad design. No way that lever, that pulls metal cable, at a significant torque should be made of plastic! I don't have to be an engineer to see that. I have read this issue in many places on line so I'm not the only one. Now I cant use the vehicle's cargo compartment like planned.

Update from Jan 28, 2013: Instead of paying the $236 for the part or $500 to have the Dealer fix it, I decided to fix it myself. I glued and bolted a thin piece of metal I snipped to shape from a scrap metal 2x2 to the outside surface then redrilled the hole and channel for the cable to lock in place. All works just fine and since the metal cable is now in contact with metal, not plastic, I dont anticipate the same problem to happen again. So far so good anyway.

- , Cleveland, OH, USA