2003 Honda Pilot electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Pilot:

2003 Honda Pilot Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Apr 182013

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 12V573000 (electrical system). The contact stated that recently, the key was able to be removed from the ignition while the vehicle was not secured in park. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 161,000.

- Burnet, TX, USA

Mar 072013

I was about to turn the key in the ignition but it could not get in. The key meets resistance and gets in after I tried several times. When I attempted to turn on the ignition, it wont budge and acted as if it was locked. Since then, I do not take the key off the ignition because I am afraid I will not be able to get it in. It is a really safety issue and Honda refuses to address it voluntarily. I went on line and there are several owners who are left alone to deal with the same safety issue. Why do I have to leave my vehicle with the key stuck in the ignition. Honda should be ashamed of their flagrant irresponsibility. Please help us. Thank you.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Apr 192013

This problem is extremely common on all Honda and has never been addressed. The power door lock motors consistently go bad. So far, this has happened to the driver and passenger doors on my Pilot. The Honda dealer is asking for $300 per door!!! this needs to be recalled asap.

- Smithtown, NY, USA

Dec 052012

Pilot 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the key came out of the ignition switch independently and the vehicle continued operating normally. The vehicle was initially taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the ignition needed to be replaced. The contact mentioned that she received a recall letter for NHTSA campaign id number: 12V573000 ( electrical system). The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who refused to perform the repairs free of charge since they believed the vehicle had been tampered with. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 95,000 and the current mileage was 115,000.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Mar 042013

Key got difficult to put into the ignition switch. Then after a few days the key had to be jiggled to turn and then after two weeks the key will not turn. This is a safety hazard if you need to start the car quickly or if you are threatened and need to use your car to escape.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Jan 032013

Pilot 6-cyl

I was trying to leave from work and when I tried entering the key it got stuck half way. I removed it and tried again and the key went it but would not turn. I had to try many times and then called my husband, he said to take the key out and wait couple minutes then try again. I did what he said and after the second try it finally turned. Since that date I keep having the same problem and I recently received a recall letter and thought since its a recall Honda would repair at no cost to me. Well to my surprise I just found out that this is not part of the recall and will have to pay for them to repair. The recall I received said the interlock lever in the ignition switch may become deformed. :(

- Orange, CA, USA

Jan 152013

Pilot 6-cyl

Unable to turn key in ignition. Apparently this is an issue that many 2003 Honda Pilot owners are having. This can be a safety issue as it can leave someone stranded in a remote area as happened with me. If the malfunction is caused by a faulty part then Honda should bare some of the responsibility and cost to correct the problem.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Jul 162012

Pilot 6-cyl

After loading my Pilot, tried to put the key in the ignition switch but it did not go easy on the switch and once in the switch it did not turn on the ignition. I tried several times and or use the spare key until the ignition switch worked. Since July 16, 2012, everytime I start my Pilot, I have the same problem. I have to keep my spare key all the time to avoid the issue on having to reenter the ignition switch. Everytime I forget to keep the spare key on the ignition switch I have to spend about 20 minutes to try to reengage my key in the ignition switch to have it work.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Nov 012011

Key won't turn in ignition due to misaligned wafers. This is the second time in just over a year we have had to fix this problem. At first had to jiggle key to be able to turn it, then can't even get the key in all the way. Taken to locksmith. First occurred 10/2011, then 1/11/2013.

- Cary, NC, USA

Dec 102012

Pilot 6-cyl

The key would not fit into the ignition without forcing it several times, after a few weeks, the key would not even turn. The vehicle was serviced and the cylinder and ignition switch were replaced at the cost of the owner. This is a very common problem with this model. Honda corporation should be held responsible for it.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 132012

Pilot 6-cyl

I was unable to start my car due to faulty ignition switch. I was stranded, with my kids, and in the cold-unable to even run the heat. The key issue was reported to Honda and I was waiting for help from the company due to the known defect in the key/ignition tumblers, as widely reported to me by a locksmith and a dealer. Honda has been unwilling to issue a recall notice regarding this defect.

- Powder Springs , GA, USA

Oct 202012

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that after inserting the key in the ignition, the key would not turn, preventing her from starting the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the ignition needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 150,000.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Sep 062012

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that while trying to start the vehicle, the key seized in the ignition and could not be turned. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic or a dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileage was 133,568.

- Epping, NH, USA

Aug 142012

Pilot 6-cyl

Rear hatch window wiper blew the fuse. The SRS light came on there was nothing wrong with my air bags or my seat sensors. A new fuse fixed the wiper but would not turn off SRS light. Dealer wanted $100 plus dollars to check system and turn off light. Independent mech. Checked system found nothing wrong and reset the light. Why is a wiper motor tied into the seat sensor and air bags?

- Santee, CA, USA

Jun 082009

Pilot 6-cyl

Ignition locked up. The car could not be shut off. The key could not be removed from the ignition. Dealer wanted $900 to fix the problem.

- Santee, CA, USA

Jun 242012

Pilot 6-cyl

2003 Honda Pilot ignition - at first we were having issues inserting the key into the ignition. Then it progressed to needing to jiggle the key in order to get it to turn to any position of the ignition. The key would go in but it'd take several attempts, of a minimum of 10 to 15 minutes, before we could get the ignition to start. We read the manual and understood the importance of keeping the wheels straight - that seemed to help for a few attempts. Now the key goes in but doesn't turn at all. With everything that has been documented about this issue from Honda customers and the volume of customers it is affecting why isn't Honda doing the 'right thing' and issuing a voluntary recall?!

- Orangevale, CA, USA

Jun 012012

Pilot 6-cyl

The ignition key will not slide into the ignition without a great amount of effort and time. This is a well documented problem. I will have to leave the key in the ignition because of the failure.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 012011

Pilot 6-cyl

Vehicle shudder/shake starting at 50 mph. Advised needed new transmission. Called Honda to check if recall or would be reimbursed. Told no and said wanted problem on record. Replaced transmission at own expense $3045. Drive light periodically flashes. Have not repaired as >$300.

- Roanoke, IN, USA

Jul 252010

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the key was removed from the ignition when the vehicle was still in the drive position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer stated that the locking mechanism for the ignition needed to be replaced. The mechanic was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 140,000.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Jun 242012

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact stated he was able to insert and remove the key from the ignition, but the ignition would not turn to start the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 115,000.

- South Jordan, UT, USA