2003 Honda Pilot miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Pilot:

2003 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Sep 292016

Pilot

I was on the hwy in the left lane an exhilarated then all of the sudden my SUV just braked suddenly without me pressing the brake causing a screech on the concrete. I moved to the right lane very cautiously. I drove about 15 miles then it happened again. I turned my emergency flasher on and drove another 5 miles when it happened again. I pulled onto the side of the road and called my husband to come drive behind me the rest of the way home. This is very scary. I just knew I was going to get rear ended. I love my Honda Pilot but now I can't drive it. I have no idea why or what is causing this problem! please help. Thanks, June williams

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 042016

Pilot

The ignition switch in our 2003 Pilot has a tendency of getting stuck. At times the key will not turn when fully inserted. This has been occurring with some regularity since we got the car in 2012. Just yesterday the key partially turned to where the lights on the dashboard went on, but the engine did not turn and the key got stuck there for several minutes. From other customers sharing, it appears that this is a somewhat common problem with this models which Honda is not taking responsibility for.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Jan 042016

Pilot

At first there was minor difficulty getting the key into the ignition where it would take two to three times to get it in. Within a week, it extremely difficult to get the key into the ignition so the car would start, taking anywhere from 5-10 each time to get the car started. I tried the spare key and it will not work at all.

- Odessa, NY, USA

May 052015

Pilot

I was involved in an auto accident. When I came to the inside of the car was smoking. The air bags were deployed and I had a three inch burned hole in my left arm. Now I have a permanent scar because of the airbag. I have pictures, police report and hospital reports. MA 10/19/2015

- Rex, GA, USA

Jun 242015

Pilot

NHTSA recall number: 12V-573 mfr campaign id: S73 campaign description: Shift interlock recall date: 12/10/2012 recall status: 17 character VIN required summary: Honda is recalling certain model year 2003 and 2004 Pilot and Odyssey and 2003 through 2006 Acura MDX passenger vehicles manufactured from November 26, 2001, through August 30, 2006. The interlock lever of the ignition switch may deform, which can allow the interlock function of of a vehicle with an automatic transmission to be defeated. Safety risk: Removal of the ignition key when the gear selector of a vehicle with an automatic transmission has not been shifted to the park position can allow the vehicle to roll away, increasing the risk of a crash. Remedy: Honda will notify owners and instruct them to take their vehicle to a Honda or Acura dealer. The dealer will install an updated shift interlock lever and, if necessary, replace any necessary part of the ignition switch, free of charge. The recall began on February 22, 2013. Owners may contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009. Note: Complete remedy was not done. With recall brought to dealership. Key comes out ignition due to the ignition switch not being replace due to deformation per recall notice. Notified Honda corporate and local Honda dealer of incomplete work and a solution to fix the issue was denied by both. The dealership that did faulty work and denied remedy was. Honda of slidell 510 E howze beach rd, slidell, la 70461 phone:(985) 649-9091

- Pearl River , LA, USA

Apr 292013

Pilot

I have been having a problem with the key and ignition. The key will go into the ignition but won't turn. Which you can't turn the car on. I had to have it towed to the dealership in 2013, which they fixed the 2013 ignition recall part. Unfortunately the recall for the ignition didn't cover the timber or the key. The dealership wanted of $1000 to fix it. I had the car towed back to my home and the tow company put me in contact with a locksmith that was able to fix it for a lot cheaper. Now the problem has a arised again. I had to call a tow truck yet again because the key wouldn't turn in the ignition.

- Largo, FL, USA

Mar 292013

Pilot 6-cyl

Our 2003 Honda Pilot has now stuck us twice. My wife was stuck in a parking lot the other night for over an hour trying to get her key in the ignition. The previous week the key did the same thing but eventually went in and then didn't want to turn to the start position. Unfortunately the area my wife got stranded at the other night posed a definite safety issue. We are concerned she will be attacked and not be able to do anything about it. I have now contacted the local dealership twice and the Honda Corp for help. Neither gave me help. They only told me to contact you guys and report the incident. They really didn't seem to care about my wife's safety. Honda believes it is a part that just "wears out". if ignition cylinders wore out we wouldn't be driving cars over ten years old. We find Honda's answer unacceptable. Actually Honda Corp should be ashamed of the way they even handled the situation on the phone. I was talked to like a child and was not allowed to speak to a supervisor. I have researched now hundreds of others online with the exact same issue. Please help! this will cost us over $500 to correct. My wife has had the incident happen twice now and we would like to see something done before somebody is robbed or even raped while trying to get a car started.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Sep 222003

Pilot

The accelerator pedal sticks. When the applied the accelerator the vehicle did not respond as it should. The owner has taken the vehicle to the dealer and all they would do is spray the pedal with silicone. They also said that this function is normal for this vehicle. The problem was said to be due to carbon build up. The steering made a clicking and or groaning sound when making left turns as if the transmission was slipping. The noise was near the rear differential.

- Aquinnah, MA, USA

Jul 012004

Pilot

Concerns involving 2003 Honda Pilot recalls.

- New Boston, MI, USA

Oct 012002

Pilot 4WD

2003 Honda Pilot

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 262003

Pilot 4WD 6-cyl

When driving through standing water more than 3" deep, instead of the water being diverted out and away from the vehicle, it is diverted as a massive wall of water onto the windshield. It is necessary to immediately brake, as vision is 100% obstructed. This has happened on 3 different days. Twice it was during heavy rain, where water was pooling by the curb, but was not yet over the curb. Once it was during dry weather, but there was a deep puddle of water in a low spot in the road. In all 3 situations it posed a significant safety hazard, as we could not react to traffic situations ahead of us and had to come to a stop until the windshield drained. The windshield wipers were overwhelmed by the amount of water thrown on the windshield.

- Garland, TX, USA