2003 Honda Pilot steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Pilot:

2003 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Jun 072007

Pilot 6-cyl

I just got off the expressway and was making a slow turn into a parking lot when the inner tie rod broke. I did not run over anything or hit anything, and the dealer found no evidence of such. The tie rod broke while going less than 5 mph, and I lost control of the left front wheel. I had to have the car towed, rent a car, and did not pick up the car until the Monday night after the incident. I live 3 hours away from where this occurred, and had to leave the truck. The dealer was very surprised and had never seen this before. It was such an unusual incident that no dealers had the part and it had to be special ordered. Honda agreed to pay for the part only after I called to complain but I still had to pay $467 in labor as well as for the rental and tow. I called Honda directly to see if they wanted the parts to inspect ( I have it in my possession) and investigate but they want me to pay for shipping it back to them or deliver it to a local dealer. The main reason I called their headquarters in the first place was to make them aware of a possible safety issue. I do not feel I should make the effort or expense to send it back to them for them to see if there is a defect, which in my opinion there is. My truck had 48353 miles at the time. The repairing dealer gave me the part after I asked for it. If this would have happened a few minutes earlier I would have been driving 55 mph and probably would have lost control of the vehicle.

- Bartlett, IL, USA