2006 Honda Pilot brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Pilot:

2006 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Jun 162016

Pilot

Brakes are locking up while driving without me stepping on the brakes

- Floral Park, NY, USA

Oct 152015

Pilot

The vsa, ABS and vtm-4 lights on the vehicle come on and off and the car will stop or drive erratically. It also makes a grinding noise. I've taken it in and no one can tell me why this is happening. This has been going on since October of 2015. I'm afraid it will cause an accident.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Jan 302016

Pilot

My wife's Honda Pilot 06 has been experiencing almost catastrophic vsa symptoms while driving normal speeds. Brakes iwill lock up without pressing brakes and ABS will come on and all vsa lights. Have towed vehicle twice to mechanic and problem clears itself and then without warning happens again thankfully no ones been killed. Contacted Honda they deny any issues with vsa system.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 012015

Pilot

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the rear rotors and brake pads were prematurely worn on two separate occasions after 17,000 miles. The contact stated that the rotors were corroded causing the rear brakes to make a grinding noise. The manufacturer were made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Aug 032015

Pilot

When driving my Honda Pilot (2006) the check engine light will com one with indicating a problem with the vsa. What happens next is the car slows down significantly and comes to a complete stop. Which means you can be on the highway and the car slows down. I check to see if there was a recall on this issue, and there is one for the 2005 model, not the 2006. However, it is the same problem, which means the problem was not fixed in the next model year. I reached out to Honda corporate and they indicated that they had no recall for this issue for the 2006 model and could not help me. I told them it was the same issue as the 2005 and apparently the problem was not fixed in the next still no help. Please note the following concerning the 2005 model. Tsa action number: EA13002 model year 2005. Same problem. On March 14, 2013, american Honda motor co., Inc. (Honda) submitted a defect information report to NHTSA identifying a defect in the vehicle stability assist (vsa) system in approximately 183,576 model year (my) 2005 Honda Pilot, Acura rl and my 2005-2006 Acura MDX vehicles (NHTSA recall no 13V-092). The population and failure counts provided pertain only to the my 2005 Honda Pilot that were the subject of this investigation. Honda's recall addresses two conditions in the vsa system that could result in inappropriate brake activation.

- Windsor, CT, USA

Dec 022014

Pilot 6-cyl

The vsa system seems to be applying a small amount of brake force without any input by the driver. The small amount of break force seem to be constantly pulling the vehicle to the left. At times, the amount of brake force applied exceeds the driver's intended input. The vsa warning light and ABS light are constantly on. The vehicle has been serviced and is up to date on all maintenance. Dealer and another mechanic say it is the vsa or yaw sensor in the center console that needs to be replaced at a cost of $1,000-$2,0000. It seems to be the very same issue that the recall on the 2005 model addressed.

- Dunlap, IL, USA

Oct 092014

Pilot 6-cyl

While driving the ABS and vsa lights went on and I had to make a rapid stop when a car pulled in front and the my car swerved suddenly and I almost lost control, with the sensation that it was going to turn over. This has continued every time I put the brakes on quickly to make a sudden stop.

- Caguas, PR, USA

Dec 262014

Pilot 6-cyl

I had just started slowing down to turn at a stop light when the vsa warning light came on and my car became hard to steer. It almost came to a complete stop but I was at a major intersection and had no choice but to try and keep driving to avoid getting hit. I somehow managed to get it turned but it didn't want to speed up when I tried to accelerate. I managed to get into a parking lot and turned it off. I let it sit for a few minutes as we caught our breath (two of my kids were with me and it had scared them too) and then cranked it up again. The vsa light was gone but when I put it in reverse to see what it would do, it wouldn't move. It was like the parking brake was on. I then realized that's what it seemed like as I was driving when it happened. I'd thought the car wasn't wanting to run but it was like the brakes were on. Anyway, the brake pedal was stiff and I couldn't push it at all. I tried pumping the pedal to see if it would release but even though I could put the car in either park or drive, it wouldn't move. It was like the parking brake was on or I was holding the brake, neither of which was true. I called a nearby shop and two technicians came to where we were. They cranked it up and everything seemed okay but it was taken back to the shop where they ran every test possible and drove it three different times but nothing happened. They're perplexed as to what's wrong. I came home and got online only to find that there are tons of postings online about the exact same thing happening to others but only the 2005 Pilot has been recalled. Honda, I love my Pilot and don't want to get rid of it nor do I not want to buy another one when the time comes. But, I'm not putting my kids' lives in danger nor my life in danger to drive the car I love. Please, please, please consider recalling the 2006 models as well since there's definitely a problem with them too.

- Senatobia, MS, USA

Jul 262014

Pilot 6-cyl

Driving at slow speed, sometimes when just starting to move the vehicle, there is a shuddering on the brake and the vsa warning light comes on. This happened only occasionally at first and the warning light would go off. The warning light now is always on. The vehicle has been serviced and is up to date on all maintenance. Dealer and another mechanic say it is the vsa or yaw sensor in the center console that needs to be replaced at a cost of $1,000-$2,0000. It seems to be the very same issue that the recall on the 2005 model addressed. Honda says 2006 models are not part of the recall. How many complaints does it take to be added to the recall" is this a safety issue" the vehicle won't pass state inspection next year if the warning light is on.

- Duxbury, MA, USA

Apr 132014

Pilot 6-cyl

While attempting to slow at a traffic light, I applied pressure to the brake pedal only to have the pedal push to the floor and act as though there were no brakes. The anti-lock brake system engaged and threw me and my passenger forward. Then the vsa light came on. I was able to reset the light by turning the vehicle off and on. The problem is intermittent and very frightening.

- Etters, PA, USA

Dec 242013

Pilot 6-cyl

On three separate occasions over a two-day period, the vehicle momentarily brake hard when very light pressure was applied to the brake pedal. The vsa (vehicle stability assist) warning light came on when this occurred but did not stay illuminated after the vehicle was shut off and restarted. These incidents occurred December 23rd and 24th, 2013, and the temperature was approximately 20-30 degrees. No injuries occurred, but thankfully no other vehicles were behind us when it happened. This sounds like the same issue that the 2005 Honda Pilot were recalled for, however, the local Honda dealership will not include my model in the recall and will therefore charge me for any fix that might occur.

- Clarkston, WA, USA

Nov 062012

Pilot 6-cyl

The first time the brakes applied really hard without me pressing on the brake pedal I was going about 10 mph when I just pulled out of a parking lot. I had to force the engine to move the Pilot out of traffic, while the brakes were unwillingly being applied to avoid other cars from crashing into me. The vsa light was on turned on, the car would not accelerate without pressing on the accelerator about 1\2 way. Shutting off the Pilot and re-starting, didn't reset the vsa, however, after waiting 20 minutes the brakes released just enough to get it home (by then the light turned off). When I took it to a mechanic the vsa system reported the brake light switch was bad, but replacing it didn't fix the braking issue because it happen another four times within two months and the brake pedal would have to play when pushed. Honda and another mechanic could do anything for me since the problem nor the vsa was occurring at the time of inspection. On Jan 24, 2013 the brakes locked up about 2 miles from my mechanic while driving 40 mph, this time as dangerous as it was I forced it to him for inspection. The outcome was a bad ABS\vsa module & brake master cylinder $1,600 later. The repair seemed to work but less than 4 months the brake pedal is now feel like there is no play and is really sensitive. Even with Honda braking recalls our is not on it according to Honda. The Pilot is our daily driver (2-adults & 2-toddlers) my wife & I are really concerned this issue might cause a really bad or deadly situation. Honda has no idea of my problem or doesn't want to help, but we are desperate for help.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jan 132013

Pilot 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle exhibited a loud squeaking noise. The contact then noticed that the rear of the vehicle began to shift toward the right, causing the contact to crash into a railing. The police were called and a report was filed. The contact was not injured. The vehicle was ruled as destroyed and was towed to an insurance lot. The approximate failure mileage was 108,000. Updated 01/05/13

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Oct 172012

Pilot

I am writing because my 2006 Honda Pilot is trying to stop faster than I am pressing the brake pedal. This seems to be the braking system trying to stop as if I was slamming on my brakes instead of a controlled stop at a red light or stop sign. The motion of the braking feels as though the brake caliper is pushing on the brakes to hard.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA