2006 Honda Pilot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Pilot:

2006 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Oct 112012

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. While driving at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle completely shut down and the vsa light illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacture was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Fresnoc, CA, USA

May 312013

Attention!!! all Pilot/oddy/ridgeline/3.5 V6 Honda owners. Check your plugs and coils just wanted to get the word spread around there is a serious issue with the Honda 3.5 V6 engine which can lead to serious damage to the cylinder head and possibly the entire engine. I didn't learn of this until recently, when the spark plug in the #5 cylinder shot out of the head and destroyed the coil, and trashed the threads. I found a bunch of different people this has happened to, and all of the results aren't good. The extended warranty which was through Honda care denied my claim because they said it was damage from the spark plug and they don't cover spark plugs. What a load. If they want to play that game, what the heck would they ever have to cover? sorry sir, there's a short in your electrical system but it's because of the insulation in the wires and we don't cover damage from the insulation... grrrrrr... so I called Honda and we'll see if they can do something for us as loyal Honda customers - I even mentioned that we've got a Honda CRV... sigh... Honda has a duty to manufacture and sell safe vehicles and to fix or pay for safety defects in its vehicles, " "instead, Honda has refused to acknowledge any responsibility for the alleged defect and forced its customers to pay for the repairs out of their own pockets. Like yours truly, engine blown and now I own money on a car that I can not drive. I want to start a class action lawsuit but without a supporting incident I would not be able to do this please responds to this message.

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Apr 082015

On the day that the fire occurred, I drove the car approximately 8-10 miles round trip between10:30-10:45 a.M., and then the vehicle was parked in my garage for 3 hours. After that, I drove my car approx. 1 mile, and it was parked outside for a little over an hour. Then, about 30-45 seconds after I began driving my car back home, my son noticed smoke. I didn't see the smoke and thought my window was hazy, so I continued driving. About 1/2-1/4 mile from my home, I saw a little smoke coming from under the hood and my engine began sputtering. It was during this time, I noticed that different indicator lights began displaying. However, my temperature gauge showed normal levels. Because I was so close to home, I decided to continue to drive into my driveway, where I parked and exited the car and noticed additional smoke and flames under the hood. I extinguished the flames with a fire extinguisher. The Honda dealership service office and my insurance company investigated the cause of the fire, which was determined to be an electrical fire caused by the alternator, and the timing belt, battery, alternator and portions of the engine compartment had to be replaced. I was informed there was nothing I could do to prevent this. My insurance paid for the damage. Thankfully, I was close to home when this happened, and could put out the fire on my own, otherwise, the danger to myself and my children and the damage to my vehicle would have been much worse.

- Folsom, CA, USA

May 012014

The contact owns 2006 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that when driving, an abnormal noise was heard from the engine. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine piston was worn and made contact with the cylinder. As a result, the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacture was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V382000 (engine). The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 66,000. Updated 8/19/14

- Peaks Island , ME, USA

Aug 222013

Pilot 6-cyl

Overheats when driving less than 30 miles. I changed the radiator and the thermostat. Now, the Honda stopped working on the highway in the middle of the night. Repair man said that the head gasket needs to be replaced for $5,000!!! Honda needs a recall! I googled the problem and other consumers are having the same issue!!

- Meriden, CT, USA

Jul 312012

Hello, I have a Honda Pilot 06 I am just going to a bad rap now my car engine had a miss fire on cylinder 2 and 5 and on top of all that my piston is blown but I had a warranty $100000 what are the odds the expire because my engine just hit 100331 they would not honor it they saying it cause by the spark plug for real there something on this engine there are not telling us I made so much research that I was maze with the complain I saw and this is why I am responding to you, and now I have no car and I can not afford a engine right now I am taking them to a small claims and BBB and anything that I can out them out there for selling a car that there is a problem with the engine but there are not admitting to it I need support on this so I can have a legit case.

- Manchester, CT, USA

Jul 162013

Pilot 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the engine block was fractured. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was confirmed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable. Updated 9/4/13 the engine block was cracked. However it was replaced at a cost of $ 2,400. The engine cracked also affected the catalytic converter. The engine light illuminated, and a diagnosis revealed the spark plugs were damaged. The consumer paid $500 for a tune-up and replacement of the plugs and hoses. After the vehicle was serviced, it began to overheat. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, where they added coolant.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jan 012012

Engine light started coming on even though vehicle was running ok. Stopped and had a diagnostic check done. It said that all 6 cylinders were misfiring. The light stayed on for 2-3 days then went off. The auto drove fine the whole time. This has been happening off and on ever since. I keep having it checked and same thing... all 6 cylinders misfiring.

- Shallotte, NC, USA

Apr 202013

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 70 mph, the vehicle began to lose acceleration power. The vehicle was able to be driven with extreme caution to the contact's residence and was later taken to a private mechanic, where it was determined that cylinders 1-6 were misfiring. The contact was also advised that there was a computer failure. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 105,000.

- San Matto, CA, USA

Jun 162012

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. While parked, the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technician advised the contact that the head gasket and the radiator would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 84,860.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

May 242012

2006 Honda, LX, 2wd Pilot was making a slow turn in intersection and sudden acceleration was noted. Felt like cruise control had been turned on but had not been turned on. Acceleration was stopped using the brake. 2 similar instances in the past 6 months.

- Austin, TX, USA