2006 Honda Pilot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Pilot:

2006 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Jun 222014

Pilot 6-cyl

The vehicle stability assist system may unexpectedly apply the brakes, causing the vehicle to slow without warning at highway speeds. Vsa control module may have been damaged and recalled in other Honda Pilot years. This malfunction can cause intermittent minor application of the brakes or if the driver were to apply the brakes while the vsa is malfunctioning, the vehicle may come to an abrupt stop.

- Walnut, CA, USA

Jun 222014

- Walnut, CA, USA

Dec 242013

Pilot 6-cyl

On three separate occasions over a two-day period, the vehicle momentarily brake hard when very light pressure was applied to the brake pedal. The vsa (vehicle stability assist) warning light came on when this occurred but did not stay illuminated after the vehicle was shut off and restarted. These incidents occurred December 23rd and 24th, 2013, and the temperature was approximately 20-30 degrees. No injuries occurred, but thankfully no other vehicles were behind us when it happened. This sounds like the same issue that the 2005 Honda Pilot were recalled for, however, the local Honda dealership will not include my model in the recall and will therefore charge me for any fix that might occur.

- Clarkston, WA, USA

Nov 012013

Pilot

Vibration noise/shudder/grinding between 20-50 mph while accelerating.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Jul 172013

Pilot 6-cyl

I was driving at 30 mph my Honda Pilot 2006 when suddenly the truck accelerated on its own, that was truly surprising to me, the speed was over 100mph, I remember stepping on the brake and the truck did not stop, I remain shocked and I could not react, everything happened in seconds and I was trying not to kill someone I lost the control and crashed into a big metal pole.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 072012

Pilot

This is the second time it has happened in 2 weeks. We were in our car and were accelerating after being stopped at a stop light. The car jerked forward briefly and then stopped responding. I was pressing the gas pedal, but the car did not accelerate and the vsa warning light came on briefly. Within a few seconds, the car began responding again and we were able to drive safely the last 1/4 mile to work.

- Newington, CT, USA

May 242012

Pilot

2006 Honda, LX, 2wd Pilot was making a slow turn in intersection and sudden acceleration was noted. Felt like cruise control had been turned on but had not been turned on. Acceleration was stopped using the brake. 2 similar instances in the past 6 months.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 052011

Pilot

I was backing up out of my garage in my 2006 Honda Pilot when the vehicle suddenly accelerate. I had my foot resting lightly on the brake and I was able to stop the vehicle safely. I was then able to drive off.

- Berlin, MA, USA

Feb 262011

Pilot

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. The contact was attempting to enter a residential driveway traveling 5 mph when the vehicle suddenly accelerated causing her to crash into her home. After the crash, the contact noticed that the cruise control warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and the contact was awaiting the results of diagnostic testing. The current and failure mileage was 45,000.

- Exton, PA, USA

Oct 312010

Pilot

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly accelerated while he was moving into a parking space at less than 5 mph. The contact was able to prevent the vehicle from crashing by shifting into park. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The current and failure mileages were approximately 49,000.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Oct 102010

Pilot

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. The contact was driving 25 mph when the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The contact stated that the failure would occur sporadically and on numerous occasions. The failure caused the contact to be involved in two crashes. The contact was uninjured yet the air bags did not deploy in either crash. The vehicle was inspected by an authorized dealer who was unable to locate a failure within the vehicle. The contact stated there were other complaints regarding the sudden acceleration and the manufacturer was not taking responsibility for the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Bataria, LA, USA

May 272010

Pilot

Was pulling into a parking spot in a parking garage going slow and the Honda Pilot accelerated on its own, the rpms went up and slammed into the cement wall in the garage in less 5 seconds. The airbag deployed and damage to the front of the car.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Feb 282010

Pilot

My 2006 Honda Pilot ex-L experienced sudden unintended acceleration (sua) at 3:53 P.M. on Sunday, February 28, 2010 near our home on key biscayne, Florida. We were driving at around 20 mph and as we gently braked in approach of the stop sign, the engine opened up nearly full throttle at just above 5000 rpms. My husband immediately and firmly applied the brake and placed the gear in park. With his foot on the brake, not the accelerator pedal, the engine continued to roar at 5000 rpms until he turned it off at the ignition after about 30 seconds. He restarted the engine and the engine RPM immediately shot up to 5000 rpms again, with his foot on the brake and the car in park. The tachometer stayed at the 5000 RPM level continuously until he again turned off the engine at the ignition after about 45 seconds. We waited a few more seconds and re-started the engine again. That time, the engine started at a normal RPM and we drove half a block to our house. We recorded a video of the second episode of 5000 rpms with a camera we had with us. We provided the video immediately to american Honda customer service. At the request of customer service, I took our Pilot to brickell Honda in miami on March 1. I showed the video of the sua to the service manager, george ruiz, on his computer. He was astounded by what he saw and expressed his genuine concern that the car was unsafe to operate, regardless of whether his service department was able to find the source of the problem. He said under no circumstance should the engine operate at 5000 rpms without the accelerator being depressed almost all the way to the floor. The district service manager, kevin mcclung, also inspected the car. American Honda determined the Pilot was operating within normal parameters. We were instructed to pick up the car on March 5 and did so on March 8. no repairs were performed. My husband spoke to Honda customer service manager terry nielsen on March 3 who could not explain the video.

- Key Biscayne, FL, USA

Nov 222007

Pilot

On Dec 4,2007 I took my 2006 Honda Pilot to a Honda dealership in winnipeg mb Canada for engine revving issues. I explained how when going to brake at an intersection the vehicle jolted ahead as the engine started to rev high- RPM greater that 4000 - and the speedometer needle was bouncing from top to bottom erratically. I was braking lowly at first but when this started I used two feet on the brakr to prevent me from hitting the car in front of me. It just finally stopped. It never happened again but with the Toyota recalls I wonder whether Honda has the same issues with their vehicles. Please report this occurrence for me. Notice: Mileage on vehicle at the time was 38000 kilometers and the speed I was going was 50-60 km per hour. I couldn't adjust that in the following pages to reflect the metric system we use up here.

- Glenboro, 00, USA

Feb 242010

Pilot

Today while driving my 2006 Pilot, I was going approximately 33mph. The vehicle suddenly accelerated on its own. It was very quick, almost like a lunge. I hit the break and it did slow the vehicle. The strange thing about this is, this happened to me two other times that I can recall. It hasn't happened in quite a while but I've owned this vehicle for 3 years, 9 months, and it was sometime during that time period. I never had it checked out because it had only happened twice and from experience, if you bring it to the dealer, unless it does it for them, they can't diagnose it. I never even thought about this having happened, even with the Toyota recalls, until it did it to me again today. The road conditions were wet, however I was not going through a puddle at the time. I was not braking. I was maintaining my speed. Unfortunately I do not remember the road conditions or speed the other two times this happened.

- Atkinson, NH, USA

Dec 232009

Pilot

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that he had an issue with the engine speeding up suddenly even when he took his foot off of the gas pedal. He was forced to shift gear into neutral and turn the vehicle off. He called the dealer and was told to re-start the vehicle and see if it would happen again. The issue did not re-occur so he continued to drive it. He had a scheduled appointment with the dealer at the time the complaint was filed. He has not spoken with the manufacturer. The current and failure mileages were approximately 55,000.

- Lottsburg, VA, USA