2.2

2008 Honda Pilot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Pilot:

2008 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Jan 152010

Pilot

The Pilot have excessive oil consumption, the first few years when the car was new I used to take it to the dealer for oil changes and the dealer never mentioned anything about oil consumption until I started changing the oil myself when I noticed that over the course of 3 months between oil changes I only get less than 50% oil out than I put in. I am very strict on oil changes and stick to 3000 miles or 3 months (whichever comes first).

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jan 052015

Pilot 6-cyl

My was driving the unit for about two minutes from the starting point. Then, all the lights of the dashboard turn on. When she tried to move the vehicle to the emergency lane, a black smoke start to go inside of the vehicle and a engine fire started. Rapidly, she left the car to a safe place and the fire consumed the entire vehicle. The car was declared total loss by the insurance.

- Toa Alta, PR, USA

Dec 202012

Pilot

In December 2012 while traveling approx 70mph on a highway, my Pilot began bucking, and fitting back & forth. I was able to drive it to the dealership where they had to disassemble the engine, and determined the #5 plug had come off, and was rattling around damaging the inside of the engine. The dealership replaced the engine block, cylinders, etc at a cost of $9000. It was about 2-3K over the warranty, and past warranty by 2 months. Honda paid 90% of the bill, and I paid 10%. today... very similar experience, except this time it's leaking a coffee looking liquid. Assuming oil mixed with coolant... still waiting to hear from dealership as to cause of leaking fluid, and appearance of mixed fluid.

- Fitchburg, MA, USA

Nov 272013

Pilot 6-cyl

The #5 spark plug exploded and a piece dropped into the cylinder damaging the wall and piston. The 4WD/traction control light came on before there were any mechanical failures, I pulled over and tried to "turn off" the 4WD/traction, but it is automatic and since some wheels were losing power it would just come back on. Then the car started making a loud noise, so I ended up having it towed. When the dealer looked at the car they found the #5 (original manufacturer installed) spark plug had literally exploded and a piece dropped into the cylinder, ruining it. The whole engine had to be replaced, it has been a timely and costly experience. Even though my car had a 100K warranty under Honda care the engine they replaced mine with lasted only 2700 miles and now we are back to replacing that one, terrible experience.

- Webster Groves, MO, USA

Aug 082012

Pilot 6-cyl

Catalytic converter banks 2-4 failed.

- Whitestone, NY, USA