8.0

$7,099.00

2. fix the engine (5 reports)
2009 Honda Pilot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Pilot:

2009 Honda Pilot Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012016

Pilot LX V6

Started back in beginning of August 2016. Just checking oil and found that there was very little in there. So added 3 quarts. I remembered that we just recently had the car in for service too. Anyway, I checked it again two weeks later and had to add another quart. This occurred over and over again the next couple months. Now we brought it in to the dealer we bought the car from. Now they have been very good to us over the years, but told us that they don't know why this is burning oil. I looked up on line and found a class action settlement. I thought great I am covered! Lawsuit mentions my exact car too! Well when I called they said I was not! I have no idea why I am not covered! Same problem, same year, make, model, engine, everything! I am lost at how this can happen.

- , Medford, MA, USA

Dec 012014

Pilot Touring 3.5L V6

EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION THROUGHOUT LIVE OF VEHICLE. Now 1 quart per 1500 miles, increased from 1 quart per 2500 miles

- , Niwot, CO, USA

Jul 012016

Pilot EXL 3.5L

Bought the Pilot used in January of 2015. Afterwards, I noticed that it seemed to burn a little oil. A few months went buy and I got VCM light, along with cylinder misfire codes. After Googling, I came across the misfire settlement, and other info regarding this piece of sh*t. I changed the offending plugs, replaced the three quarts of oil that had disappeared, and the codes cleared.

I called local Honda dealer that sold me the car. Told them about the code, and the settlement, and they acted as though they hadn't heard of it. The service guy told me if it did it again, to bring it in. So I kept driving, stupid me. The oil burning problem persisted, but I never got the codes again. It got to the point that I was adding a quart of oil every 1-1/2 tanks of gas.

In July 2016, I took a fishing trip, towing a boat approximately 320 miles total. Prior to leaving, I filled up with gas, checked the oil, and was on my way. During the return trip to home, nearly to my exit, the lights came on. VCM and check engine. I drove 1/4 mile to the nearest gas station, and checked the oil. It was basically empty. I got no oil lights, no warning whatsoever. It was then the engine started to knock slightly. It burned 5 quarts of oil in 320 miles!!!

I filled it back up with oil, the codes went away. I took it back to Honda Dealer. They said they didn't see the codes in the memory, and that the extended warranty would not cover repairs unless the codes were active. They said we could do an oil consumption test. I said sure. They had the car for four hours, during which time they told me they changed the oil only. After that day, it hasn't burned a single drop of oil! Weird!!!!

This Monday, the check engine light came on again, along with the VCM light. I immediately took it back to the dealer, conveniently, the VCM light went off when I turned the car off and then didn't come back on!!!

They checked the codes for the engine light, and basically told me the engine sounds like its f*cked. And they want somewhere between 4500 and 5500 to replace engine with a used one.

My question is this. Was Honda required to inform me of this issue at any point? They did not. When I asked them, they played dumb. Also, could they have done something while they were changing my oil to prevent the oil from burning.

- , Bedford, KY, USA

Jan 012014

Pilot LX V6

Service mgr recommended changing oil every 3000 miles which we are doing. He never offered an actual solution nor an explaination. We found this website by accident.

- , Watkinsville, GA, USA

Sep 052013

Pilot Touring 3.5L Lt

Uses way to much oil between oil changes. Became apparent at 70,000 miles when the oil pressure light came on while driving. the reason this was not discovered prior was when you take your car in for a recommended oil change the mechanic never pulls the dipstick prior to draining the oil. since this time we have been closely monitoring the oil consumption. We have met with Honda's service manage at least five times or more and have repeatedly done oil consumption monitoring with the dealers guidance. Had the car in the shop for a week to replace piston rings. Made no difference in oil consumption. Now the car is at the dealer and they said it is not using enough oil to justify Honda fixing the problem. I ask them to at least go into the program and turn off the ECO system so as to see if it made any difference. They refused. Apparently they don't think adding a quart of oil with every other fill-up is excessive. If we hade the pipe text in the state of Virginia this truck would probably fail. Where do I go now!

- , Williamsburg, VA, USA

Nov 012014

Pilot LX 3.6L V6

Continuous issue that now is affecting engine performance.

- , New Fairfield, CT, USA

Jun 292016

Pilot LX 3.2L

135,00 and this happens to my car this is absolutely bullshit my other vehicle has 177,000 on it and runs better than my pilot

- , Billerica, MA, USA

Oct 112015

Pilot Touring V6

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

With no warning, the engine on my 2009 Honda Pilot BLEW UP while I was driving on the highway. The engine abruptly lost power and caught on fire. Luckily I was able to cross several lanes without being hit to get to the shoulder. Then a good samaritan told me my car was on fire so luckily I got out before I was hurt or killed.

I called Honda about this situation. Even though the 2009 Pilot is known to have an OIL CONSUMPTION ISSUE -- the mechanic said this was the cause -- loss of oil -- When I called I was told my car was not covered. No warning light ever came on. The mechanic said in 45 years he'd never seen an engine so exploded inside.

The bill to replace the engine was $7100 we do not have. Luckily I and my family were not hurt or killed. I sent a letter to Honda and they told me even though we purchased a certified pre-owned vehicle, the warranty expired at 60K and the engine blew up at 80K, so they could not reimburse me. I don't think it's normal for an engine to randomly blow up at ANY K??!!?!

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 142015

Pilot Touring V6

My Honda Pilot is burning excessive oil. I first noticed it about 10 months ago when I took it in for a oil change and the mechanic told my that my oil was off stick. I was confused because it was at the normal oil change mileage interval. After that event I started to keep an eye on the oil level and I noticed that it would start to drop shortly after I change the oil, so now I have to monitor the oil level and add oil as needed. This is so annoying because this is a very expensive vehicle and I'm also afraid that if I ever have to be away for an extended period of time and wife is driving it low on oil that it might do some serious damage to the engine. I called Honda corporation and they said that my vin number was not cover under the recall, I don't understand how my vehicle could not be covered when I am clear experiencing the exact same problems.

- , Spanaway, WA, USA

Oct 012014

Pilot EX-L 3.6L V6

To start HONDA as a company SUCKS!

I started to do the oil change myself at around 70-71000 miles. First oil change I noticed there were only 2.5 quarts left in the motor. I said maybe the guys at the shop "shortened me" when I did the oil change. SO I change the oil every 3000 miles after that and noticed the same amount remained in the oil pan.

It seems this is a common problem with all or most Honda motors 3.5L V6. I scheduled a test at Honda of Kirkland and they say it is normal for a car with this mileage to consume this amount of oil. Really? I saw cars with 200,000 miles not taking any oil and motor running perfect.

Also to throw "the other guys" under the bus the Honda Service Adviser told me that Nissan and Toyota has the same issue with excessive oil consumption and this is "NORMAL".

So I looked on the internet, Honda has been sued already for the excessive oil consumption, but the guy at the dealership said I should have a motor check light on.

Simple conclusion, I will never step foot in a Honda Dealership again.

BTW, they were also fined approx $30M by the government for not declaring a lot of deaths due to accidents in Honda vehicles. SO STAY AWAY FROM HONDA.

I was planning to spend some to get a new car, but I crossed Honda of my list.

HONDA SUCKS, GO BUY ANYTHING ELSE THAT"S NOT HONDA.

- , Redmond, USA

Feb 102015

Pilot Touring V6

I just now read about a Class Action Lawsuit on www.hondaproblems.com, that Honda admits there is an excessive oil consumption problem with the VCM V6 engines, and settled the suit by extending the warranty 8 years from the original date of purchase. I just checked my oil and found out there is none in my engine. THE DIP STICK IS DRY, NOT A DROP. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. I WAS NEVER NOTIFIED OF THIS PROBLEM.

I called Honda at 800-999-1009, gave them my VIN number, and they said I was not covered. However, they gave me the number of the Class Action people, 888-888-3082, and they checked my VIN number and said I was covered. It is too late to get reimbursed for any out-of-pocket expenses through the lawsuit.

I have heard through this site, and in TSB #11-033, that the fix is a simple software update. I hope so. I called the service dept. at my local Honda dealer and the service tech didn't know anything about it, or the TSB #11-033 bulletin, but took my name and number and will have his boss call me back. I'll keep you posted to what happens. (Just got off the phone with the Dealer. Will update software and check spark plugs for fowling in pistons 1-4. He said the rings on pistons 1-4 rotate and allow oil into combustion chamber. He will not fix rings until proper code appears with check engine light, because he won't get reimbursed for cost of repair from Honda.I'm afraid my warranty extension will run out before that code appears, because I have so little mileage on it.) I have to put oil in it to safely drive it to the dealer. THIS IS B.S.

Update from Feb 16, 2015: The dealer said they updated the software, under TSB#13-082, (but I don't see that mentioned on my charges receipt, they will call me on 2.18.2015 to verify whether it was done or not.), and found no fowling on spark plugs, ( I did not see the spark plugs when they were removed to verify that claim, I wish I had.), and started an Oil Consumption Test. I have to bring it back every 1000 miles to measure oil loss. They said they will not repair the engine until I get the misfire code, P0301 thru P0304. I also called Honda Product Relations at 800-999-1009, ext.7, and spoke with Jose. He said the same thing. I opened a complaint file with him, to document my effort to get Honda to fix my engine. I recommend that everyone call and open a file. Also, file a complaint with the Dept. of Transportation and Safety Board.

Update from Dec 4, 2015: In mid July, 2015, after an oil consumption test that revealed my Pilot was using 2 quarts of oil every 3 thousand miles, Honda Customer Service agreed to change my short block under warranty. On 7/27/2015 at 8 am, I dropped my Pilot off at Capital City Honda to have it done. I was told it would take a week. On 7/30/2015 at 10 am I picked the Pilot up. Now, it is 12/4/2015, and 4 thousand miles later after my short block has been replaced, my engine oil is down one quart, which is strange because I was told by both the Customer Service Rep, and the Dealership Tech that replacing the short block would fix the oil consumption problem. Since the repair, I took my vehicle to two independent Auto Repair shop mechanics who I have known for 12 years and trust. Both independent mechanics took one look at the top of the engine and said the same thing, " I can tell by looking at the heads that this short block was not replaced." Now what do I do? I contacted Honda Customer service.They called me back within 30 minutes and they said they looked into it and verbally assured me that the short block was replaced, no paper verification however. Now I have no choice. I will continue to drive it and continue to check my oil and wait to see if/when it gets worse.

Update from Jun 15, 2016: 2/23/2016. Mileage is now 63,326. Just did first oil change at Dealership, (after short block was "replaced" at mileage 58,310), and found out that I was down one quart of oil after 5000 miles. This result is better than being down 2 quarts after 3000 miles, as stated above, but I was told by the Dealership and Customer Service that replacing the short block would correct the oil consumption problem. IT HASN'T CORRECTED THE PROBLEM. I continue to monitor the problem.

6/15/2016. Mileage is 65,457. Just checked the oil level and found no noticeable oil loss on dip stick. Just over 2000 miles since last oil change and no loss so far. I hope this continues. Will keep you posted.

Update from Oct 4, 2016: 10/4/2016. Mileage is 67,382. Just checked the oil level and found I am down @ 1/2 quart. 4056 miles since last oil change. Something must be working. I can live with this. Will keep you posted.

- , Olympia, WA, USA

Sep 012014

Pilot EX 3.5L

Like other users my 2009 Honda Pilot is burning excessive oil. I have never had a car that I have to monitor this closely to make sure it has oil. So I called the Honda service department I use, (even though its not the closest) and they said they would start with the oil consumption test. That its acceptable to burn a quart of oil in 1,000 miles. Really?!?!? So, by the time I have to have my oil changed at 7500 miles, I would have gone through 7.5 quarts of oil. Why would I ever need an oil change since the engine is burning it, and I'm replacing it, at more than 5 quarts per cycle?

What a pain in the ass. I understand problems occur by Honda has to realize that when I go to purchase a new car, I am going to consider. How can I have the confidence that the Honda I buy, they won't say the same thing?

For Gods sake, we all know its an issue, acknowledge it and apply the software update free of charge.

- , Swedesboro, NJ, USA

Jun 232014

Pilot Touring 3.5

I bought this with 88000 miles, did not really need it but the kids loved it. traded a 2012 Dodge Caravan but needed something to tow party barge. The second day I had it oil light came on and the suspension was rattling. The four wheel drive does not work so I called them back up and they told me bring it in so I did.

Four days later they tell me it's all fixed, drive it for a week, oil light comes back on and it's low almost to nothing. I bring it back to them they tell me it's a computer issue????? I'm not a dummy, the engine is bad. I told them to give my van back and now they're pulling my chain. They're trying to let 30 day warranty run so I have to pay out of pocket. So I have to get a lawyer now. Very upset because it's a nice vehicle but the mechanical parts are junk. I will never buy a Pilot again.

- , Utica, NY, USA

Jul 202013

Pilot Touring V6

I have received the notice about a settlement law suit with a conclusion that Honda promised to pay for the repair cost once the case is settled. The last time I changed the oil I had three or four engine lights on and my mechanic told me that the engine was completely empty without a drop of oil and he is not sure if that caused any damage to the engine or not. He told me to let him know. I started having some issues with the vehicle a couple of days later, hesitation, speed variation while driving, occasional engine lights, etc. I have to fix this because it is becoming very annoying.

I am sure (hope) that Honda will pay the repair cost in a timely manner.

Update from May 20, 2015: Honda refuses to do the software update that could possibly solve the problem. they keep insisting that unless they see the computer codes they will not fix it for free. nevertheless, the problem with the oil consumption remained the same.

- , Springfield, VA, USA

Jan 202010

Pilot Touring 3.2L V6

Discovered this problem on my own as I change the oil on the vehicle. Prior to the due date for it's next oil change I checked the oil level and it barely registered on the dip stick....I was shocked and puzzled...it was not leaking oil...so what was going on? I did some research and found that this model aggressively consumes oil!!!! So now every Sunday I have to check the level and add a bit to top it off. This is very annoying...and can be dangerous, because it is difficult to determine the rate of consumption. I will be discussing this with HONDA soon....Thank's for listening...

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 012012

Pilot EX-L 3.5L-Liter Sohc I-Vtec V6

This problem began when my engine light came on suddenly when I had to brake really hard to avoid an accident. I wasn't sure what this meant but I ignored it at the time because the engine light just went back off.

I hadn't made it a habit with this vehicle to check the oil since I didn't ever think there would ever be a problem with oil consumption. I've owned many a vehicle in the past including the very first Honda Pilot that came on the market. Never had any issues other than wear and tear because of mileage and normal use.

When I decided to check the oil on my 2009 Pilot, I noticed the dip stick was DRY! I couldn't believe my eyes!! I made an appointment with my Honda dealer and they noticed that it barely had any oil in the engine. The service center did some oil consumption test on my vehicle. After two checks on two different situations it was determined that the oil consumption level was normal for this vehicle. This was after I had the software update that Honda suggested as the problem.

Bottom line here is that I'm very disappointed with this vehicle. I was so excited to purchase this vehicle when Honda came out with this model and, for the most part, the vehicle has been very good-very happy with all its features and, for the price that I paid, it was a much better deal than what Toyota offered.

Now this oil consumption problem has really dampened my spirit and my faith in the Honda line of vehicles. I've always owned Toyota's but decided to stick with the Honda this time since the Pilot I owned seemed to fair well.

I plan to call, write, email Honda customer service and/or public relations regarding my problem and my disappointment with my Pilot. It's such a shame it got to this point because I have been very satisfied with the vehicle until now!!

- , Peoria, AZ, USA

Jun 012009

Pilot EXL V6

I first found out about the oil consumption problem when the car only had a few thousand miles. I was 4 and 1/2 quarts low on oil!!! I had the oil consumption tests done and Honda says that a quart of oil burned every 1000 miles is NORMAL!!! They didn't tell me this when I bought it. Or I wouldn't have bought it!!!

Three years later, it is still burning oil away. 2.5 quarts in the last 5,000 miles.

I officially give up. I am going to purchase a different vehicle and trade this one in.

But, besides that, I did like the Pilot. Except for the oil which is a deal breaker.

Good luck to anyone that has one and PLEASE CHECK YOUR OIL.

- , Merrimack, NH, USA

Nov 172011

Pilot Limited 3.2L V6

Been Having some serious issues with my 09 Pilot. It consumes so much oil that has me questioning their reliability. Took it to the dealer and they charged me for an oil change and supposedly update the on board computer with a new software that should have fixed the problem. However, the problem is still there and now the vehicle is stalling. SOOOO PISSSED

- , Wildomar, CA, USA

Dec 032009

Pilot EXL V6

They told me the knocking was due to piston adjustment and honda was aware of it. Now less than a month my engine light is on. I have not been happy with this pilot. We owned a 2006 pilot with 60,000 miles and had no issues. The quality on 2009 is bad.

- , Gainesville, FL, USA

Apr 152009

Pilot Touring

Totally amazed that this very expensive, brand new car burns oil like my Chevette from high school.

- , Manassas, VA, USA