7.8

2009 Honda Pilot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Pilot:

2009 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Jul 202013

Pilot Touring V6

I have received the notice about a settlement law suit with a conclusion that Honda promised to pay for the repair cost once the case is settled. The last time I changed the oil I had three or four engine lights on and my mechanic told me that the engine was completely empty without a drop of oil and he is not sure if that caused any damage to the engine or not. He told me to let him know. I started having some issues with the vehicle a couple of days later, hesitation, speed variation while driving, occasional engine lights, etc. I have to fix this because it is becoming very annoying.

I am sure (hope) that Honda will pay the repair cost in a timely manner.

- , Springfield, VA, USA

Jan 202010

Pilot Touring 3.2L V6

Discovered this problem on my own as I change the oil on the vehicle. Prior to the due date for it's next oil change I checked the oil level and it barely registered on the dip stick....I was shocked and puzzled...it was not leaking oil...so what was going on? I did some research and found that this model aggressively consumes oil!!!! So now every Sunday I have to check the level and add a bit to top it off. This is very annoying...and can be dangerous, because it is difficult to determine the rate of consumption. I will be discussing this with HONDA soon....Thank's for listening...

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 012012

Pilot EX-L 3.5L-Liter Sohc I-Vtec V6

This problem began when my engine light came on suddenly when I had to brake really hard to avoid an accident. I wasn't sure what this meant but I ignored it at the time because the engine light just went back off.

I hadn't made it a habit with this vehicle to check the oil since I didn't ever think there would ever be a problem with oil consumption. I've owned many a vehicle in the past including the very first Honda Pilot that came on the market. Never had any issues other than wear and tear because of mileage and normal use.

When I decided to check the oil on my 2009 Pilot, I noticed the dip stick was DRY! I couldn't believe my eyes!! I made an appointment with my Honda dealer and they noticed that it barely had any oil in the engine. The service center did some oil consumption test on my vehicle. After two checks on two different situations it was determined that the oil consumption level was normal for this vehicle. This was after I had the software update that Honda suggested as the problem.

Bottom line here is that I'm very disappointed with this vehicle. I was so excited to purchase this vehicle when Honda came out with this model and, for the most part, the vehicle has been very good-very happy with all its features and, for the price that I paid, it was a much better deal than what Toyota offered.

Now this oil consumption problem has really dampened my spirit and my faith in the Honda line of vehicles. I've always owned Toyota's but decided to stick with the Honda this time since the Pilot I owned seemed to fair well.

I plan to call, write, email Honda customer service and/or public relations regarding my problem and my disappointment with my Pilot. It's such a shame it got to this point because I have been very satisfied with the vehicle until now!!

- , Peoria, Arizona, USA

Jun 012009

Pilot EXL V6

I first found out about the oil consumption problem when the car only had a few thousand miles. I was 4 and 1/2 quarts low on oil!!! I had the oil consumption tests done and Honda says that a quart of oil burned every 1000 miles is NORMAL!!! They didn't tell me this when I bought it. Or I wouldn't have bought it!!!

Three years later, it is still burning oil away. 2.5 quarts in the last 5,000 miles.

I officially give up. I am going to purchase a different vehicle and trade this one in.

But, besides that, I did like the Pilot. Except for the oil which is a deal breaker.

Good luck to anyone that has one and PLEASE CHECK YOUR OIL.

- , Merrimack, NH, USA

Nov 172011

Pilot Limited 3.2L V6

Been Having some serious issues with my 09 Pilot. It consumes so much oil that has me questioning their reliability. Took it to the dealer and they charged me for an oil change and supposedly update the on board computer with a new software that should have fixed the problem. However, the problem is still there and now the vehicle is stalling. SOOOO PISSSED

- , Wildomar, CA, USA

Dec 032009

Pilot EXL V6

They told me the knocking was due to piston adjustment and honda was aware of it. Now less than a month my engine light is on. I have not been happy with this pilot. We owned a 2006 pilot with 60,000 miles and had no issues. The quality on 2009 is bad.

- , Gainesville, FL, USA

Apr 152009

Pilot Touring

Totally amazed that this very expensive, brand new car burns oil like my Chevette from high school.

- , Manassas, VA, USA

Apr 012009

Pilot EX-L 3.5L

I tradeed my 2009 Honda Pilot with the same Honda 09' Pilot last December and hoping that I just got a bad one ( I lost about $5000 for the trade in), but guess what? it has the same problem with too much "OIL CONSUMPTION" the handling and performance is good but with this problem showing up in the early stage, how much more when it gets older. so those who got an 09' Pilot please check the oil level so you will know what I'm saying and when you report this to the Honda dealer they will just say "we will continue to observe" even though it already happened to different 09' Pilot......

- , Harlingen, Texas/Harlingen, USA

Jul 242008

Pilot EX-L 3.5L

We trade our 2004 pilot with the new 2009 Honda Pilot last June 24, 2008 and we travel from Texas to San Francisco California on July 12, 2008 and before going back to Texas I check the oil level and it went down to 1/2 in the oil dip stick I drive it still going to Las Vegas to El Paso Texas and stay there overnight the next morning before starting the engine I check the oil again there is only 1/4 oil left in the dip stick. I brought it to the dealer and they just change the oil and said that they will observe it again and there are more problem when I show it to them the Monroof window stop working (they replace the motor) and the corner paint in the front bumper is chipping off..... Damn what kind of quality has Honda now. Even my 2008 Honda Civic that we bought last April 2008 the sun visor keeps on breaking and the dealer just keep on replacing them and I ask the dealer he said Honda is not doing anything to improve it they just keep on replacing them ......I'm Honda user for a long time I started from my 1995 Civic, 1997 Civic, 2004 pilot, 2008 civic and to 2009 pilot.....but if they cannot fix the problem with my 2009 pilot since this is my family car I might switch to other maker.....

- , Harlingen, Texas/Harlingen, USA