Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2012-2013 Honda Pilot have a small complaint trend of owners reporting the engine hesitates sometimes when accelerating.

While it's not a widespread trend with the Pilot, it's a little concerning because of the possibly safety ramifications. While it's certainly something to keep in mind, most Pilot owners are not experiencing this problem.

2012 Honda Pilot fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda Pilot:

2012 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Jul 042014

Pilot 6-cyl

The check engine light and vtm4 light come on after over an hour of driving. Sometimes the whole inside of the car smells has while driving and the fuel consumption is not efficient. In addition when the car sits in the garage for a few days, maybe 2-3, and I start driving, the wheels make some deep brushing noise. This gets worst when I brake. Sometimes it smells like something is burning under the hood or around the engine.

- Arlington , TX, USA

Apr 292013

Pilot 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle from brickell Honda in miami with 7,000 miles. I had traded my 2010 Honda Pilot so I was very familiar with this vehicle in general. Immediately, I felt a hesitation when I pressed the gas pedal. At first I thought it was my imagination. However, after driving it for a week it became apparent that this was a huge safety issue as it continually hesitated when accelerating in traffic. I took it back to the dealer and expressed my safety concerns. They drove the car and told me that they could not duplicate the problem. Their "master mechanic" explained that it was a new feature with the Pilot's to save gas! I said, well this is very frightening when you press the gas and the gar does not move! they said there was nothing they could do as that is the way the car was made to run?! I have since seen many complaints identical to mine with the 2012 Honda Pilot. Frankly, I am not sure what to do but I wanted to be sure other owners knew of this issue.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 092012

Pilot 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Honda Pilot. The contact stated while parking the vehicle, he smelled an odor of gasoline fuel and noticed fuel leaking from under the vehicle. The fire department was contacted and advised the contact not to drive the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer but was not repaired. The manufacturer was also contacted and advised that they were going to further investigate the failure. The failure and current mileage was 6,700... updated 08-07-12

- Folsom , CA, USA

Feb 082012

Pilot 6-cyl

2012 Honda Pilot - does not start consistently. Consistently has a rough start, and often stalls. Within days of owning my brand new 2012 Honda Pilot, the car stalled when I attempted to start it in my garage. I immediately brought the car into the dealership. The dealer's service department could not find a problem. They kept the car for the day, then reported to me that Honda of America is aware of the problem and trying to fix it. They promised to keep me posted on the status of the Honda of America engineers progress on the issue. Six weeks went by, and the problem persisted with intermittent calls from my local service manager. I was told not to bother to bring it in for service each time it stalled because they were waiting for a recall/fix from corporate. After six weeks, multiple stalls, which were all reported to my dealer as requested, I was then advised, by my dealer to contact Honda of America myself get some results. I spoke with Honda of amercia's nice, but useless customer service representative for two weeks, and got fed up with her inability to do anything other than agree that my problem was unacceptable. Then I called the GM of the dealership, explained my frustration & continued problems with my brand new Honda Pilot. He claimed to not have heard of my problem before, and quickly agreed to fulfilled my request to trade my vehicle in for a different car, same model - 2012 Honda Pilot in the hopes that my car was a lemon. Within less than 24 hours of owning this second 2012 Honda Pilot, my new car stalled. I have recently been on youtube and discovered that this is a common problem with the 2012 Honda Pilot, and has also been reported with some 2011 Honda Pilot. This is unacceptable for a new car to be so unreliable.

- Sharon, MA, USA