2016 Honda Pilot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Pilot:

2016 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Aug 182016

Two separate incidents in sacramento, ca where we experienced engine failure with our 2016 Honda pilate elite. The first incident occurred in May 2016 on a busy city street with our three young children in the car. While in motion, the car essentially shut down with the display screen showing a series of warnings indicating numerous system failures. There was no engine power but luckily I was able to coast the vehicle to a nearby parking lot. The dealer indicated there was no problem, just a computer glitch, and the only repair necessary was to reset the computer/software. The second incident occurred last week, only this time while driving on the freeway. We completely lost all engine power but luckily I was in the right lane and I was able to coast to the side and pull over on the shoulder. If I had been in the fast or middle lane with little opportunity to move over, there could have been a serious collision. Similar to the first incident, we were unable to start the car with the warning lights showing various system failures. We had the car towed to the same dealer who initially indicated they would just reboot the software again. So we pressed upon them to do a more thorough diagnosis since this is the second time its happened. They agreed to keep the vehicle and seek to identify the root cause of the problem. At this point no diagnosis has been made. We would have never expected this from a near brand new (purchased in December 2015 and currently has only 9,200 miles) Pilot elite loaded with safety and technology features. Again we experienced two separate incidents where the car immediately shut down while in motion with the most recent occurring on the freeway. And both times our three young children were in the vehicle. This is a huge safety risk and I certainly hope Honda does its due diligence in diagnosing and addressing this issue.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 092016

Hi, I got a strange problem in my car as per the attached image. Thanks,

- Plainsboro, NJ, USA

Feb 042016

2/4/16: Backed out of garage, put car in park, lowered garage door. Was about to exit vehicle to adjust passenger side mirror, car surged forward, crashing through garage door. Brakes would not stop vehicle as it was crashing through the garage; immediately applied emergency brakes, car finally stopped against shelving in garage and wten became wedged in garage. Car experienced severe damage to front, hood, top, sides and could not be removed from garage until garage doors were removed by garage door company the next day. On 2/5/16 took car to Honda dealer. Said they needed time to investigate, would need until Monday, 2/15 when manufactuere's rep could be there; gave loaner vehicle to use in interim. Car still had dealer tag, one month old. On 2/17, received a call from service manager stating that Honda rep's investigation found nothing wrong with vehicle and that I would need to look to my insurance company to repair vehicle. I was told to return loaner vehicle that day, which we did. There was over $2,000 damage to home; and $8,836 damage to vehicle. I find it amazing that Honda could find nothing wrong with vehicle. I know for a fact that the car was in park and nothing would make it stop. The car is brand new - Honda knows that something is wrong; there are other vehicles that have had the same problem. I will not feel safe in the car for one minute when the repairs are completed (taking 24 days to repair). And, it is a damaged vehicle with the dealer tag still on it!

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Nov 292015

The contact owns a 2016 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that an abnormal sound was heard, after the vehicle was started and the vehicle temperature warm. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician confirmed that there was an abnormal noise coming from the engine. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,400.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 102015

On November 10, 2015, at approximately 5:30pm, my wife and I were traveling on North I-75 in southwest Ohio. Besides ourselves, we had our two young grandchildren in the car. The car's computer started displaying a changing series of warnings generally indicating various system failures. The car basically started to shut down. Since we were in the far right lane, my wife was able to coast over to the shoulder. If we had been traveling in the middle or left lane of traffic, there would have been little if any chance of moving over to the curb. The car, with two young children in the back seat, would have shut down leaving us in the path of very fast moving cars and trucks. The only outcome was a potentially deadly high-speed rear end collision. We had to have the car towed to our Honda dealer approximately 40 miles away. On November 27, the day after thanksgiving, the same failure occurred at approximately 2:30pm. This time we were 400 miles from home traveling East on highway 11-E, between greeneville and johnson city, Tennessee. I caught the failure early enough before the engine shut down and was able to coast the car to a parking lot of an out-of-business store. This time instead of two young children, we had two elderly great grandparents. The dealer that handled the first incident diagnosed the problem as a software issue. However, the second dealer diagnosed it as a fuel pump relay not properly connected. This relay requires a special tool to install it. See attached letter with attachments for all details including service invoices.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jul 262015

The contact owns a 2016 Honda Pilot. While driving at 55 mph, the engine shut off and the entire instrument panel illuminated. The contact noticed smoke emitting from the front driver side. After lifting the hood, flames emitted from the passenger side near the engine. The contact was able to extinguish the fire. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,600.

- Snellville , GA, USA