8.0

2016 Honda Pilot fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Pilot:

2016 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Dec 252016

Pilot

On 3 separate occasions, our 2016 Honda Pilot elite has completely shut down while we were driving - twice on the highway and once in busy traffic. When this happens, the engine, transmission, power steering, etc. All stop working and the car displays every error you can imagine. I have posted a video here: Https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=btebmywy-is this is very scary because there is nothing you can do to get the car working again - luckily, we have been able to coast to the side of the road. When it first happened, we called Honda emergency roadside assistance and we had a tow on the way when we tried restarting the car several times in a row and that cleared the errors. Since then, we have used the same trick to get the car running again but it has happened twice in the last week - very scary! I have found other similar complaints online so it's clear that there's some kind of computer or electric problem with this model - it's just not obvious what triggers it. We are going to try to trade in our car for a different model because Honda has not been able to provide any help in spite of the fact that we have taken it to the dealer 3 times - I am very disappointed with their service on this.

- Glenview, IL, USA

Feb 262016

Pilot

Coming to a stop at an intersection it has surged 4 times taking me out into the intersection every time, with foot off gas an on break I can not stop it. I recently have been using the emergency break to stop it. It does not happen all the time. I took it to dealer 2X. American Honda is looking into it and always ask it wrecked it. Several others had same issue. An software update did not resolve issue. Can our government help?

- Frankfort, KY, USA

Nov 102015

Pilot

On November 10, 2015, at approximately 5:30pm, my wife and I were traveling on North I-75 in southwest Ohio. Besides ourselves, we had our two young grandchildren in the car. The car's computer started displaying a changing series of warnings generally indicating various system failures. The car basically started to shut down. Since we were in the far right lane, my wife was able to coast over to the shoulder. If we had been traveling in the middle or left lane of traffic, there would have been little if any chance of moving over to the curb. The car, with two young children in the back seat, would have shut down leaving us in the path of very fast moving cars and trucks. The only outcome was a potentially deadly high-speed rear end collision. We had to have the car towed to our Honda dealer approximately 40 miles away. On November 27, the day after thanksgiving, the same failure occurred at approximately 2:30pm. This time we were 400 miles from home traveling East on highway 11-E, between greeneville and johnson city, Tennessee. I caught the failure early enough before the engine shut down and was able to coast the car to a parking lot of an out-of-business store. This time instead of two young children, we had two elderly great grandparents. The dealer that handled the first incident diagnosed the problem as a software issue. However, the second dealer diagnosed it as a fuel pump relay not properly connected. This relay requires a special tool to install it. See attached letter with attachments for all details including service invoices.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA