Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: There's an emerging trend of transmission problem with the 2010 Elantra at fairly early mileage.

So far owners report having the transmission replaced under warranty but that won't hold up for much longer. It may be a bit premature but for now we're putting the "CLUNKER" rating on the 2010 Elantra just to be safe.

Speaking of being safe, you might not be unless Hyundai can figure out why their airbags aren't deploying.

2010 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Elantra:

2010 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

May 262016

Vehicle was took in to dealership last 4/22/2015 for eps recall NHTSA campaign number: 15V100000 and Hyundai recall 127. They completed a software update. The recall does not fix the problem on 5/26/2016 was driving the 2010 Elantra and eps light came on causing loss of steering capability. Called Hyundai they said it was not part of recall take to dealer. Dealer on 6/1/2016 stated that the software update was done but did not fix eps steering issue and would need to replace steering column $2150. The recall obviously did not fix the problem and after doing research online have noticed many others are having the same issue. If a recall is to fix the problem the recall should be done fully and correctly not cheaply and halfway. The eps causes stiff steering making it impossible for a person to steer. This could lead to many accidents and possibly death. The light comes on and immediatley with out warning the steering is automatically gone. While driving I was almost in an accident because after losing steering I tried make a turn off the main road into a subdivision to get off the main road. As I was turning at a very low speed below 5 mph I was unable to stay in my lane and a car was exiting the subdivision. Although there would be minor damages, this could be different if I was on the highway at an exit coming around a turn. The loss of steering is unsafe and I do hope that the right measures are eventually taken to resolve this issue before someone is killed. The vehicle has less than 45000 miles on it.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Nov 282015

Recall was performed on 4/22/15 at no charge. Bought car from dad on 5/26/15. 7 months later the (eps) light come on and I lose steering. If you shut the car off and turn on the light goes out. Its happening every other day. I think this still falls under the recall. I should be able to get fixed for no charge. Places are wanting money and have my car for a few days. Recall says 1hr. Says if not satisfied to write you. Please review. Pretty dangerous driving condition. Have no other car. Eps light comes on in motion, turning, mostly at slow speeds. Then lose steering. Here is a picture. I also have video on the road but it wont send.

- Troutdale, OR, USA

Sep 252013

Purchased Elantra July 12, 2012. I called my brother for financing information. He came to the dealership. Mazda of orange. When he started reading the contract the became very upset. He called out the salesman for the extra charges, taking advantage of me, by not telling me I didn't have to add these things. The manager, ask me to come to his office to close the deal. I needed a co-signer. A friend of mine said he would co-sign. We signed. The first malfunction was the cruise control. I was in the number one lane the traffic began to slow. So I tapped the brake, again and again, it would not shut off. Even though I was applying the brakes. I was terrified and trembling. The second incident was when, I was pulling into a parking place, with my foot on the break. Even though I was applying the brakes, the car sped up went over two cement stops ultimately hitting another vehicle head on. This vehicle was pushed back approximately 6 ft. The third malfunction, was September 25th, 2013. Upon the request of a friend, I pick up her daughter from school. When we got home, I parked in the driveway on a slant. We removed the packages from the trunk into the house. I sat down in the drivers seat, with my feet outside the car on the pavement. The car lunged very hard and fast backwards. I, subsequently was pulled down and under the car. I was dragged 12 to 15 ft. When it stopped, my car had hit another car. I ended up under my vehicle, in serious condition. The national highwaytraffic safety administration had reported on-line that there were extensive recalls on this very model. I have yet to receive any notice.

- Norco, CA, USA

Aug 052014

Elantra 4-cyl

I was driving my car to a doctors appointment when I was making a turn into the parking lot the steering wheel would not move and the eps light came on. I struggled to park the car and after my dr. Appointment called my husband and he drove the car to brandon Hyundai where I purchased the car they took the car in and we got a rental car. They replaced column & shaft assy-steerin 56310-2H250 and bolt-safety lock 81919-31000 qty 2 work order says found steering column shorted out replace module, test ok 731sz recall 110-31C017R0 - stop lamp switch repl installed 93810-4dr0A-qqh switch assy-brake pedal qty 1 then there was another time on December 26, 2014 my granddaughter was driving the car and making a right turn from a two lane road onto a two lane road where cars where stopped at a red light when the steering wheel would not turn and the eps light came on and she hit 2 cars that were at the light. My car had $6002.36 in damage on it. The unibody on the car had to be pulled and squared and an alignment was also done. Thank god no one was hurt but what are the chances of this happening again only worse. When it was only a little over four (4) months since it was fixed. I am afraid to drive this car. That someone may be killed.

- Lithia, FL, USA

Aug 102013

Elantra 4-cyl

Returning from South jersey with my minor son, the eps light came on while in the process of changing lanes. The steering wheel locked up causing the vehicle to do a bit of swerving. Managed to pull off to the side of the road and call for help. Prior to all this, vehicle was taken to Hyundai in paramus, NJ for a recall for some other part. At this time, I complained about the eps as it was something that was happening before. The light would come on, the vehicle would lock up and upon turning off the ignition and restarting the vehicle, it would reset itself. At Hyundai, they alleged testing the vehicle for the eps problem however nothing came up and they refused to address that issue. This time on 8/10/13, the light is now on and the vehicle will not rest itself. I tried calling Hyundai for this defect and was put on hold indefinitely. I then sent an email to them about it and they refused to respond. In my email to them, I expressed this was a serious safety issue and a defect on their part which needs to be addressed and at the expense of Hyundai. Still no response. I am filing this complaint as I expected more from them and have gotten nothing.

- Palisades Park, NJ, USA

Apr 222013

I have bought a new 2010 Hyundai Elantra in August of 2010. One morning I was headed to work which was this year, March 2013; I cranked my car and on the dashboard in red was the ESC light on. I could not turn the steering to the right or left as if it was locked. I was unable to go go to work and was really frustrated. I searched the internet about this ESC problem with Hyundai and there have been many reporting with this problem, so I called serra Hyundai where I purchased the car and told them about the problem. I had to get the car towed there and I was about of a vehicle for one day.

- Birmingham , AL, USA