CarComplaints.com Notes: There's an emerging trend of transmission problem with the 2010 Elantra at fairly early mileage.

So far owners report having the transmission replaced under warranty but that won't hold up for much longer. It may be a bit premature but for now we're putting the "CLUNKER" rating on the 2010 Elantra just to be safe.

Speaking of being safe, you might not be unless Hyundai can figure out why their airbags aren't deploying.

3.7

2010 Hyundai Elantra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Elantra:

2010 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Apr 182016

Elantra

While leaving a parking lot in the city, in drive, car would not shift into next gear, unable to go above 25mph; with additional pressure to gas sending rpms high without altering speed or shifting gear. After finding a place to park, no cel. Upon restarting car, cel is illuminated, and car will not shift into park, reverse, or neutral, and upon putting into drive the car jerks forcibly. The shift indicator on the dash also fails to register P, R or N. only drive. Had car towed and left at autorepair shop and the next morning they were able to pull code U0101 from diagnostic testing, and after plugging the tcm back in after examining pins and connectors, the transmission returned to normal function.

- Laurel, FL, USA

Mar 312016

Elantra

When putting the car in park on a incline the transmission fails to hold the car resulting in the car rolling away while unoccupied, I put my 2010 Elantra in park got out of it to get something from the back sseat, the car was on an incline at the time in my driveway. As I reached to open the rear driver side door I hear a loud bang and then I had about a second to look around and then the transmission made a repetitve banging and clicking sound as the car started rolling backwards. I had to open the front driver door and hop in the car while it was moving so I could hit the brake pedal to stop the car. After this I went to a local Hyundai dealer and talked to them about the issue the told me they have seen this before and had to replace transmissions in the cars affected. I bought mine from a used car lot about ten days ago I am taking it back and they are going to attempt to fix the car, however I would like a recall issed so I can take this car to get the problem fixed so I know for sure this is not going to happpen again.. as of right now I have to use the emergency brake to hold the car to be sure its not going to roll away when no one is there to stop it.. this is very unsafe and a google search will confirm that this is an issue with these cars years 2007 till 2010. I can go outside right now and garantee if and stress is created by parking on a slight incline the car will roll away in park.. I showed the dealer that I got the car from this yesterday and it did this 2 out of 3 times that I put the car in park on a slight hill..... thank you for your time

- Lewiston, ME, USA

Mar 042016

Elantra

Just starting getting a big problem with the steering making noise in steering wheels.. and it get worse.. seat belt keeps unclicking

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 012015

Elantra

Noise when turn right and left. Also when is driving make a noise under the stering wheel colunm-dash

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 232015

Elantra

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle jerked and drove abnormally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,257.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 072015

Elantra

For several months now my car feels as if it is slipping into neutral when I try to speed up on the highway. When I am doing city driving I can feel a jerking motion when accelerating from a stop position or slow movement. My car only has about 45,000 miles on it. Trying to get on the highway can become very nail biting when you try to speed up and your car slips into neutral. I find that I have to put the gas pedal to the floor, and get the rpms to 5, in order to get it into gear. I'm seeing far too many complaints regarding this and I'm not sure why it's not being recalled. Are they waiting for a fatality"??"

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Mar 172015

Elantra

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. While driving and accelerating or decelerating, the transmission failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,037.

- Natrona Heights, PA, USA

Aug 102011

Elantra 4-cyl

The problem started around 31,000 miles and continues now with 85,000 miles, while driving 40mph at stop and go or even uphill transmission seems to slip into neutral and will then be back in gear without any banging. The dealer changed the filter and fluid around 40,000 miles and blew us off. The time it takes to get back into gear is longer now than in the beginning. There's too many transmission complaints to be ignored. I recently received an unrelated recall for this car but will find another dealer 50 miles away to fix it.

- Dornsife, PA, USA

Jul 282014

Elantra 4-cyl

A failing transmission in a low mileage car is an issue. At just over 51,000 miles my automatic transmission began jerking into gear between 2nd and 3rd. After having it diagnosed I was told they were able to "sort-of feel what I was talking about" and initially recommended a fluid change. When I asked questions about that, suddenly I was told it was in internal failure and I needed the transmission replaced. That evening the slipping got worse and the transmission hesitated going into reverse and had a big problem shifting up hills. With a transmission not shifting normally and power being affected because of that, this is a safety issue. This problem developed quickly and did not present itself as one might expect a failing transmission to do.

- Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Mar 052013

Elantra 4-cyl

Vehicle shakes and rattles inside at 35-40 mph, also decreased acceleration! noisy, uncomfortable and embarrassing.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Dec 132013

Elantra 6-cyl

While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle would hesitate before accelerating. Also when the transmission was put into reverse, the vehicle would hesitate before suddenly moving backward. The vehicle was diagnosed but no problem was found. The vehicle continued to experience the defect after being diagnosed. This is starting to happen daily. I have noticed that many people on this site have had the same issue. This really needs to be looked into before it becomes a bigger problem. It can cause accidents. When trying to accelerate and enter highways it's a problem. The car hesitates and revs before accelerating.

- South River , NJ, USA

Apr 222014

Elantra 4-cyl

I was approaching highway from city roads and I had to accelerate to get in the flow. Suddenly, I felt that even though I was accelerating, car did not gain speed. I checked rpms and it was quite high for the speed that car was moving. It looked to me as if car was in neutral gear but it was not. The car behind me almost hit my car because the driver was expecting my car to move faster. I had to stop on shoulder to check what is happening. I had this kind of experience before too but not like this one. Then it happened again when I got off the highway and I was back in city traffic. What my observation is, that when the automatic transmission goes from 2nd gear to 3rd, there is a problem. When I bought the car, even then the transmission was not smooth but there was no problem like the one I mentioned earlier. But as the mileage is increasing, the problem is getting bigger too. I do regular oil change as I have purchased service plan when buying the car. I had complained to the dealer service representative about it(transmission having problem) couple of times but they said they did not feel it. I think they were neglecting the problem because there is problem with transmission and that costs a big amount. I feel that this is a big problem even though I am not an expert.

- Verona, NJ, USA

Apr 132014

Elantra 4-cyl

When driving at highway speeds, the transmission slips out of gear and the rpms go sky high and the car runs like it is in neutral. I have to tap the brake before it will adjust and go back into gear. This seems to be a bigger problem when carrying passengers. The added weight appears to be a factor. It's rather dangerous since it can happen at any time without warning and happened just this past weekend when driving in minneapolis, mn in heavy traffic. Mileage reported is estimated for when I first noted this problem approximately a year ago. Not knowing a lot about cars, I didn't think to report it. When I first bought the car, I was typically driving from home to work and back, but have been traveling more frequently in the last year due to family activities. The problem occurs more often on longer trips.

- Bloomer, WI, USA

Jul 012013

Elantra

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle would hesitate before accelerating. The contact also stated that when the transmission was put into reverse, the vehicle would hesitate before suddenly moving backward. The vehicle was diagnosed but no problem was found. The contact indicated that the vehicle continued to experience the defect. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 292013

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the vehicle would lunge forward whenever shifting gears. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 37,400 and the current mileage was 37,420.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jan 282012

Elantra 4-cyl

This is not an isolated incident it is an ongoing problem with my vehicle. On my 2010 Elantra automatic transmission, it is as though the gears are not working. When the car is in drive the issue arises. In order to get the car to 40 mph I have to literally hit the gas and get the rpms to 5,000 or almost 6,000 before the car will shift. The car then shifts but when it is settling into 1000-2000 RPM's the power jerks as if it has lost power momentarily, this happens anytime you are trying to accelerate. Going up a small hill this car will go about 10-15 mph for more than 30 seconds. This is unacceptable and could be a safety issue if the transmissions go out completely while these cars are being driven. Loosing the ability to shift should be a concern here.

- Federal Heights, CO, USA