Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: There's an emerging trend of transmission problem with the 2010 Elantra at fairly early mileage.

So far owners report having the transmission replaced under warranty but that won't hold up for much longer. It may be a bit premature but for now we're putting the "CLUNKER" rating on the 2010 Elantra just to be safe.

Speaking of being safe, you might not be unless Hyundai can figure out why their airbags aren't deploying.

2010 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Elantra:

2010 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Oct 012015

Car stalls while driving on both highway and side streets. Won't start up right away. Each time it happened it took longer and longer for it to start.

- Higganum, CT, USA

Jan 302014

Elantra 4-cyl

While pulling into a parking space with my foot on the brake, I suddenly had a unintended and very rapid acceleration. With my foot mashing the brake pedal I was able to slow the car enough to complete the park (it did not completely stop). I immediately shifted the transmission into neutral and the engine really revved up. Once I was sure the car was not going anywhere, I checked to make sure I was stepping on the brake (and not on the gas pedal). I then touched the gas pedal (or shifted in park) and the engine went back to normal. I checked the floor mat and it was in normal position. I had a similar but way less dramatic (much lower rpms) a month previous. The car acted fine after this. I reported this to Hyundai motor America and they assigned a case number to me. I brought it to a Hyundai dealer and they could find nothing wrong. This event was very terrifying and I am not sure I want to drive this car.

- Lombard, IL, USA

May 052013

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to move to the shoulder where the vehicle was crashed into by a trailer. The vehicle was destroyed. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA