Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Be aware that there's a significant trend of owners complaining that the Elantra's fuel economy is significantly less than the EPA estimates.

2012 Hyundai Elantra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Elantra:

2012 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 242016

At approx. 70,000 miles: SRS airbag warning light illuminates intermittently, then progressively steady illumination while driving. Airbag light comes on after tight right-hand turns, at any speed, then may turn off again when completing a left-hand turn. Over time, light stays on for most of driving time. Brought into dealership; diagnostics performed. Throwing dtc code B148100 driver airbag resistance too high 2nd stage. Technician said car needs replacement of both clock spring and driver airbag. No coverage on warranty (2nd owner plus factory warranty expires at 60K miles). Airbags will not deploy in the event of collision

- Evergreen, CO, USA

Aug 292016

Air bag light coming on in 2012 Hyundai Elantra, took to the dealership to have a diagnostic done was told it was the clock spring (in the steering column) was no longer functioning. Was told if involved in an accident the air bags will not deploy. This was not covered under warranty period.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Aug 212016

My airbag light is stuck on. Will be taking to a dealer however have found many other complaints of this problem online. The light will come on as usual when starting, go off after 6 seconds then stay illuminated while driving or go off and on.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Sep 102015

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer months and a weight sensor on the front passenger side was replaced. The remedy did not correct the failure and the air bag warning light illuminated again. The vehicle was taken to another dealer where it was diagnosed that the clock spring failed and needed to be replaced. The contact was to check with the manufacturer to determine a repair solution from the dealer. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 202016

Airbag light came on about a week ago for about 10 minutes while at a drive-thru window and went off. Driving down a 45 mph road the light came back on and went off just as quickly. Called the dealer the next day and made an appointment. Light continued to go on and off while driving around town and even came on when I put the car in park. Took it to dealer and they couldn't "duplicate" the problem so they have no idea what is causing the light to go on and off. Has been doing it everyday since I left the dealer. I am waiting on a loaner from them so they can keep the car for longer than a couple of hours. Have to say I don't feel real safe driving my car with the airbag light going on and off while I am driving.

- Pine Hill, NJ, USA

Jun 162016

Dashboard airbag light comes on and off intermittently while driving. The light stays on for a few minutes, turns off for a few minutes, and appears to happen at random.

- Osprey, FL, USA

May 102016

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the air bag light illuminated when the vehicle was started. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer, but there was no recall. The failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,547.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 202016

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. While driving approximately 10 mph, another vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle. As a result, the contact's vehicle crashed into another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to an unknown location. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 33,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Stuarts Draft, VA, USA

Mar 252016

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. When making a turn and driving over a curb, the driver side air bag inadvertently deployed violently. In addition, the front passenger side air bag inadvertently deployed and fractured the front windshield. The contact sustained minor whiplash, neck pains, headaches, and bruising to the right arm that did not require medical treatment. The vehicle was not diagnosed; however, the front windshield was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 91,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 082008

Airbag light came on dealer reports it is a faulty clock spring. I see this has been an issue in the past with other Hyundai years and the dealer states it is a problem they frequently see.

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Oct 192015

It was beautiful, dry sunny day when driving down a city street in a construction zone(half paved road half dirt road), all of a sudden the airbag light illuminated on the dash. It stayed on until 5 days later, the light flickered three times and stayed illuminated. A few time sitting still, car in the park position, car running the airbag light would be off but as soon as you put it into gear the airbag light on the dash would illuminate. Ten days later the light went off for 30 minutes(driving a city street in the rain with wind shield wipers were on) but then it came back on. When the mechanic ran a diagnostic check on it, no error message came up. He tried to reset the airbags but was unsuccessful. The light is still on. It is very unsettling not knowing if there is really a problem with the airbags or if it is a malfunction of the airbag system in some way.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Sep 012015

The contact owned a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. While driving and making a left turn at 5 mph, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The front driver side air bag failed to deploy. The contact sustained neck, back, right ankle, left knee, and left ring finger injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 51,000.

- Allegam, MI, USA

Aug 262015

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. While at a traffic light, the air bag warning light illuminated. The failure recurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Aug 252015

The airbag indicator light on the panel has come on for no apparent reason indicating there may be an issue with the airbags becoming disconnected"?"

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Jun 022015

Earlier this month, two attempts to turn off/reset the red airbag symbol failed leaving me with a constant fear of safety for myself and passengers while driving my 2012 Hyundai Elantra. Inexplicably, the red airbag symbol popped up onto my dashboard screen even though I have never been involved in a collision with this car. I am the first and only owner and sole driver of my automobile. According to mechanics who have checked the airbag problem, in the event of a collision the airbag will malfunction potentially setting off a serious scenario for driver and passengers. Two attempts to readjust the airbag symbol and correct the problem were made by glendora Hyundai in southern California followed by a reputable automobile repair shop. The problem could not be traced or identified using state of the art diagnostic testing, thus, the root of the problem remains a mystery. Again, as long as the source of the airbag problem remains undetected the problem cannot be corrected and my vulnerability to being seriously injured is a viable specter that will no doubt be realized in the event I experience the misfortune of a vehicle to vehicle collision.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Mar 122014

Elantra 4-cyl

Driver attempting to brake but the brake system failed and hit another car, also upon impact the airbags did not deployed to protect the driver considering how severely the front area of the car were damaged. 2 days prior to the accident, car was not starting, was jumped- start and vehicle was brought to Hyundai service and they did not see anything wrong.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jun 262013

Elantra 4-cyl

My 2012 Hyundai Elantra was hit in what I believe is known as the B-pillar on the passenger side (the center column between the front and rear doors).I am uncertain how fast the other vehicle was going but it was fast enough to do approximately $6000 worth of damage, and I suffered a head and back injury.thankfully I did not have any passengers of the airbags deployed.I normally have both of my children in the rear seat but they were not with me at the time of the accident.I have been given several explanations as to why the side curtain airbags did not deploy, none of which make sense to me.I understand that airbags themselves can cause harm and they are designed only to deploy when needed. With that being said, the impact point on my vehicle seems to be at exactly the point of the sensor in that pillar (according to the illustration in my owner's manual).I recognize that my car can sense whether I have a front seat passenger, but I am not aware of a sensor being in the rear seat. I worry about what the result would have been if one of my children had been in that rear vehicle was deemed unsafe to drive so I had to leave it at a body shop the day after the accident.I am unable to Transport it to the dealership for inspection and the dealership tells me they are unable to inspect it at the body shop.they tell me to bring it in for inspection after the repair.the body shop tells me they have to rely on the vehicle's computer system to display a problem if there is this point, I have little faith in the vehicle and am unwilling to accept a failure of the light to come on as a proof that everything is working properly.additionally, I purchased the vehicle brand new-the exterior is red and the interior is black. I later learned that this color combination was never an option, leaving me to question the quality assurance measures in place.

- Leonardtown, MD, USA

Oct 192012

On October 19,2012, I was driving on 94 E in milwaukee, Wisconsin and got into an accident involving four vehicles. The traffic was going at a steady pace around 60 mph. The next thing I saw was brake lights and the car in front of me hitting the vehicle in front of him. I knew I would not be able to stop in time and hit the car in front of me and I also was hit from behind. I was the 3rd of 4 vehicles so my car was damaged in the front and the back. The damage was estimated at around $13,000. None of the airbags deployed. I went to the emergency room upon the night of the accident with back, neck, arm, and chest pain. Fortunately, I did not have any broken bones or serious injuries. I still have some aches and pains but am very blessed to be uninjured. Although I was fortunate to be physically healthy, I felt it was necessary to report this incident. I am a 24 year old active/healthy adult. If it were an inactive adult, an elderly person, or if a child were in the passenger seat, the outcome would not have been as fortunate. I needed to report this incident for others who had purchased the 2012 Hyundai Elantra. I know previous reports have been made regarding this make/model and the airbags and I felt like it is my duty to report my situation.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 262012

Elantra 4-cyl

2012 Elantra was struck in center of hood by Jeep SUV at approximately 45* angle. Jeep was traveling approximately 45 mph. Elantra was traveling approximately 5 mph. Elantra bumper caved in all the way to the engine block in the center. Air bags did not deploy. Investigating officer questioned why air bags did not deploy as well as the wrecker driver. Both commented that in their experience the air bags should have deployed in this case. Photos available for review.

- Richton, MS, USA

Apr 072012

Elantra 4-cyl

Drivers side air bag deployed and metal bracket deployed with air bag from headliner area also and sliced my ear in half... could have been neck... I have pictures of the wreckage inside and outside...

- Charlotte, NC, USA