Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

2013 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 152014

Elantra 4-cyl

The ESC pitched the car sideways @ 65mph on I-84 S of sturbridge MA. The car has no directional stability as it wanders side-to-side requiring constant steering control.

- Ossining, NY, USA

Feb 132014

Elantra 4-cyl

While driving across a bridge, the car's rear will lurch to one side and then back again. It also happens on rough roads. There is one particular bridge that I hate driving over because I know it will happen. I fear that if this happens in slippery conditions, I'll lose control. Reading from others comments, it doesn't appear Hyundai will do anything about it. My 2007 didn't have this issue. I'm also having an issue with the engine making a grinding noise on start up. There are youtube vids that show it too. The brakes make a horrible grinding noise. Also the car is difficult to keep in a straight line, you constantly have to make adjustments. I've had many cars, never these kinds of issues. A real disappointment. Wish I had kept my 2007 Elantra.

- Barboursville, VA, USA

Jan 202014

Elantra 4-cyl

I purchased this car at the end of November brand new. About a month ago the warning ESC light came on my dashboard and would not turn off. During this time I had minor incidents of the ESC turning on for no reason (dry roads). But on this Monday I experienced a major incident with ESC turning on while I was traveling at 50 mph down a highway (dry roads). All four wheels started braking and I was dragged across the highway and just missing a telephone poll. I was lucky to get the car under control and stopped with me and the car intact. I then called the Hyundai roadside assistance to have the car towed back to the dealership where I bought it.

- Malden, MA, USA