Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

2013 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 242016

The ESC indicator/traction control activated while I was driving 50 mph. I lost complete control of the vehicle, the car headed straight for a cement guardrail on a bridge. The car decelerated, I was unable to steer and the tires screeched on the ground. I was able to push the ESC off button and recover control of the car, avoiding the crash. I knew about the off button only because we have had this problem since June and Hyundai was unable to fix it because it did not duplicate for them. Previously we were driving at a very slow rate of speed, this time it almost killed my daughter and me! my car has been with Hyundai auto-nation, columbus, ga since August 24, 2016 I called on August 25 but the car VIN # was not asked of me, the complaint ticket number is 1010763 the first time the ESC activated my husband was driving. The ESC turned on, while he was accelerating onto an on-ramp back in June 2016. We turned the car off, researched it on the side of the road, found the "off" button and brought to Hyundai the next day and they were unable to fix the problem! a week later the ESC turned on in a parking lot while I was driving, hit the ESC off button and the car behaved until Aug 24th. I called Hyundai to report, but since it didn't occur again, they said do not bring it in. On August 24th, the ESC came on while I was in a school zone, I hit the off button, I took the off button off, to see if it would activate again so I could bring it into Hyundai (they said it had to be malfunctioning at the time of visit to be fixed) it malfunctioned! almost killing my myself and my daughter! if I hadn't known about the ESC off button, I would definitely have crashed!

- Upatoi, GA, USA

Jul 202015

Takata recall. My complaints involves the steering and brakes. When in motion and apply pressure to steering either direction nothing happens. Its very sticky. Apply more pressure and it over steers. His to the point that it is extremely aggravating and dangerous. When in motion the brakes chatter terribly. Even worse in rainy conditions. Vibrates the whole car. I found that Hyundai is well aware of these problems. Why haven't they corrected these problems " are they simply using their buyers as guinea pigs " or do they even care about the quality of their product. This is the second time I've made these complaints and as of now, still no response. Wasted my hard earned money for sure as well as my time. Thanks.

- Florence, MS, USA

Feb 152016

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph in snow, the rear of the vehicle would veer off track as though it wanted to fishtail. The contact stated that while attempting to turn into a ramp, control of the vehicle was nearly lost control. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis, however the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,000. Updated 04/22/16

- Warwick, NY, USA

Jul 202013

There are several issues with this vehicle 1. steering- the electric steering makes this vehicle hard to maintain a straight line on the freeway. The auto steering or self correcting steering is dangerous and should have an off switch. 2.traction control- the traction control is dangerous in ice, snow and rain. It has the opposite effect in these conditions, it would safer and would have more control if it is simply turned off. 3. stalling- the vehicle stalls very easy, but I believe it due to saving gas at idle with lower RPM. (manual transmission) requires more gas when starting from a stop than any vehicle I've have owned. 4. tps- tire pressure sensor never works always says there is an issue even after replacing sensors. These problems are constant since purchase!

- Great Falls, MT, USA

Feb 112013

Is has been 2 years now since I have owned the 2013 Hyundai Elantra. I have brought the vehicle in the dealer approximately 15 times for suspension and steering problems. The vehicle handles poorly on pretty much any road condition. The vehicle will sway and jump over every bump or crack in the road. It is very difficult to keep the vehicle straight in a lane and feel you have to constantly correct the steering wheel. I have to whitenuckle the steering wheel to keep control of the vehicle. The suspension has been clunky since day one and the dealership finds nothing wrong! there are numerous complaints of the same issues. Hyundai needs to step it up and protect the owners of these vehicles before something tragic happens!

- Sayreville, NJ, USA

Jun 232015

On June 23, 2015, I hit a slight bump in the road as I was slowing to stop behind someone at a red light. Instead of stopping, it slowly continued and rear ended the car in front of me doing about $7,000 damage to the front of my 2013 Elantra. The dealer finally finished the repair work and returned the car to me on approximately July 31, 2015. Almost immediately, the ESC and eps lights would go on intermittently and stay on for a day or so before returning to normal. I took it to the Hyundai dealer last Thursday, Sept 27, 2015 to reset the computer and set the steering angle sensors which I had read about helping one person in this blog. It was seemingly normal when I took it to them. The car warranty was voided before I got it due to a prior collusion in which a prior insurance company wrote it off as costing more to fix than it was worth. A body shop purchased it and did the repairs and it is now classified a restored salvage title (hence no more warranty) even though was inspected by the state of Arizona and deemed completely fixed. I paid to have the computer reset and the steering angle sensors adjusted. The dealer believed this would fix it. Two days later the ESC and eps lights went back on and have stayed on for 4 days now. I have a code reader and there are no fault or error codes to clear but the lights stay on. I am somewhat convinced that the steering columns that house the steering angle sensors are faulty. When they malfunction, it makes the eps shut down. A recall to include these would be great. I cannot afford any exploratory repairs at this time and cannot drive the 2013 car. Please help!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 282015

Car will not start! everything comes on lights radio N etc. I had my battery check it great. Can't find a solution. I have been out several times and this has happened. I have lost income because of this issue.

- Memphis , TN, USA

Jun 022014

Recall please !! I spent my life savings on this car and it is dangerous to drive. The car fish tails over small bumps and at low speeds. In winter driving its almost out of control and a separate set of snow tires is mandatory so you don't get killed. When it crosses railroad tracks it actually tends to turn on its own onto the direction of the tracks ! if you hit a dip in the road the car seems to lose control. And at highway speeds forget it - it sways across the lanes on its own as if it is constantly catching the wind. I cannot drive it on the highway - I am white knuckled by just a short trip trying to keep control of this car. This car is more of boat then an automobile. If I sell the car my losses will be huge. I got a wheel alignment, tires and took it into the dealer all to no avail and the problem is getting worse as the car is aging too. Basically the dealer said this is the way the car is built too bad so sad.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Jan 082015

Elantra 4-cyl

I was coming off of interstate 95 onto my exit and I applied my brake to slow my car but my brake apparently gave out and was not working. It make a loud sound like it was trying to hold but it didn't and in order to stop my car from hitting any others or people standing at the side of the road I tried steering it toward the closest curb so that I could prevent as much as possible within my power. My airbags didn't deploy but the car hit hard enough that my face slammed into the steering wheel, I sustained a concussion and damaged my face and glasses. I have muscle strains in my back, neck and still a swollen eye and cheek bone.

- Folsom , PA, USA

Dec 092014

Eps and ESC lights came on and vehicle lost power steering. Problem is intermittent. Vehicle towed to dealership. Dealership is unable to replicate issue at this time. No fault codes found by dealership service dept. Dealer advised they will test vehicle again today (12/11/14) to try to replicate issue. Issue occurred several times (8 to 9) over a 24 hour period. Very dangerous situation as condition occurs randomly. Eps light will turn off and ESC light stayed illuminated. Vehicle recovered on its own when eps light turned off. Both lights were off the following morning when towed to dealership after sitting overnight. Condition has occurred while making a U-turn, pulling out of drive way, and while making left and right turns.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 162014

My 2013 Hyundai Elantra limited has the swerving problem. Any time I'm on an uneven patch of road or a bump, it's like I lose control of my car. You have to keep 2 hands on the wheel at all times to try & keep some control. I do not feel safe doing my weekly drive from de to NY!!

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Sep 122014

I bought my 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT on September 12, 2014, it had 41053 miles on it. As I left the dealership it was raining very hard and I noticed that it was very difficult to keep the car in my lane; my car was pulling to the right, not only that, I hit a bump or manhole and the bad end of the car fishtailed so bad that I thought I was going to hit the car that was in the right lane. I was driving a few days later, I hit another pothole and the car did that same thing but this time the roads were dry. At this point, I realize that the first incident had nothing to do with the roads being wet, it was the suspension on the car that's causes the car to pull to one side and for it to fishtail the way it does. I did some research and I realized that Hyundai owners have complained about this problem for quite sometime but the Hyundai corporation fails to acknowledge this as a problem; this is a very dangerous problem. To be honest, I'm a little frighten to drive my car; Hyundai corporation needs to acknowledge that there is a suspension problem with the make and model and they need to do something to correct this problem asap before someone loses their life.

- Lawndale, NC, USA

Sep 082014

Elantra 4-cyl

This car was purchased for my wife about a month ago and I drive it very little. When I have, the car seems to wonder real bad, much worse on new roads. It is almost like it floats side to side. This last weekend it kept drifting both ways and went off the road several times. The dealer claimed every thing is alright, but I know it should not wander like this.

- Genoa, NE, USA

Aug 182014

Elantra 4-cyl

Just arrived at my residence when power steering stopped. Had to force car to turn in my drive. Electronic steering control and electronic power steering warning lights on. Delivered car to dealer on 8/19/2014. Dealer had car for three days for repair. New steering column with angle sensors had to be installed and adjusted. This was a very dangerous situation and the same thing has happened to other owners on this site.

- Highland, CA, USA

Jan 212014

Elantra 4-cyl

Was taking trash to the dump, 1 person's worth, going 5 mph 1/ of mile from my home, car veered to right edge of pavement, and where a bulldozer had drug road edges and broke pavement off, caused me to hit a tree at a very slow speed. I reversed car, backed up 50 ft. And car shut itself off & windshield got extremely hot, and I got out of vehicle, smoke coming from hood area, left my purse, and walked across road to ask for fire extinguisher. Man had just got up, hadn't had coffee, and invited me in. I went back outside and saw car was burning, so I stayed on his porch, then front yard. I knew trash may have aerosol canisters, and not worth my life to try to go through fire to save my purse. Cops came (9:45-10:15 am, and said I looked funny and arrested me accusing me of being under the influence of medication. I was not on any medicine and definitely not drinking. Car was a total loss after explosion and I have not had another for over 8 months. I am on disability for fibromyalgia, neuralgia, & osteoporosis, and hollow bones. I fall quite often (one leg is shorter than other). Officer himself drew my blood in a public place, and refused to let me see my attorney 3 times. I never got to use a phone in 2 days. But vehicle was problematic from day 1, battery would not hold a charge, jump a riding lawn mower, and would just cut off while I was going down the road. Steering was also a problem from day one, like tires were never aligned.

- Lagrange, NC, USA

Jul 072014

Elantra 4-cyl

Bought this car new as a closeout on May 30th 2014. I was on interstate 57 going South about 60 miles out of paducah ky driving the posted speed limit with the cruise control on. With no warning the car went to the left across 3 lanes and then back to the right 3 lanes and again to the left 3 lanes before I could regain control. The semi behind me just about jack knifed trying to avoid hitting me. It was only because the traffic was very light and the semi and I were the only ones on the road in that area at the time this happened, or there would have been a major accident. I took the car to the dealer in paducah they said it was my brakes, they cut the routers. I could not drive the car even after the repair over 55 mph as it would wander to the left and to the right. When I returned to my home state I took the car back to the dealer and told them to return it to Hyundai. I was told by the dealer that they never heard of this ever happening to anyone else. I have seen reports of others having the same problem so this is a cover up by Hyundai. The steering on the Hyundai is bad! there needs to be a major recall on this electronic steering. The complaints are from sonata owners also.

- Piedmont, AL, USA

May 282014

Elantra 4-cyl

Rental car, Hyundai Elantra 2013, from enterprise. Vehicle unsafe to drive, can lose steering control very easily, which I experienced first hand during rainy conditions. The other drivers in front and behind me did not have any issues with steering, but this vehicle lost control...updated 07/15/14

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Apr 302014

I was in the far left lane of interstate 255 in southern Illinois. A tractor trailer was in the process of cutting my off when I honked and he proceed back into his lane. I had brake quickly and with both hands on the wheel when the car lost control and I was swerving within the lane for around 2 minutes before I could regain control of the car. I almost clipped another car as well as the median, but barley missed both. I had both hands on the wheel, I did not stomp on the brakes, and yet I still lost control of the car. It also constantly sways to one side as well as the brakes lose grip if you run over any bump at all. You guys need to recall these cars, they are not safe and I am not paying almost 400 dollars a month for a car that could easily injure me in an accident.

- Godfrey, IL, USA

May 032014

The first incident occurred as I was on an on ramp about to merge on to a highway. The car lost power and acted like it was about to stall - though there was gas (it was about 1/4 full); its an automatic so as far as I could tell it was not in the wrong gear. It revved up but did not gain any speed. Somehow it recovered and I was able to continue without further incident. I am not sure where this falls - but even though we balance and rotate the tires every 5000 miles the car has been pulling to the right. When it is windy or if the road is bumpy you have to grip the steering wheel very tightly to keep it in the lane.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Mar 152014

Elantra 4-cyl

The ESC pitched the car sideways @ 65mph on I-84 S of sturbridge MA. The car has no directional stability as it wanders side-to-side requiring constant steering control.

- Ossining, NY, USA