Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

2013 Hyundai Elantra electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

May 092013

I purchased a 2013 Hyundai Elantra SE coupe on 13 April 2013 (6300 miles). On 9 May 2013 (7000 miles) I entered car to start it and battery completely dead. Called Hyundai roadside assistance and they sent someone to jump it. Car started and took it to motorworld wilkes-barre where I had purchased car. They turned car off and waited 5 hours. Car started again and the man in service told me that he could not do anything since the battery was fine and he didn't see any issue. If I wanted battery or sensors replaced, I would have to pay out of pocket for it. I was told if it happened again, have it towed in without letting it be jump started. Only diagnostic done was check of battery which read as no problem. On 26 May 2013, (7400 miles) again I went out to start car and again it would not start. As I could not miss work and it was memorial day with service dept at dealership closed, had car jump started and went to dealership on my lunch break. While there, salesman who sold me car had me turn off the automatic setting for headlamps. When I did that, it also caused the steering wheel controls for blue tooth and radio control to no longer function. I was told there was recall on brake stop switch? that was not apparently corrected before selling me the car. The car has electrical wiring issues. It doesn't take an electrical engineer to know that the steering wheel controls should not be run through the headlamps switch and that the headlamps switch is faulty when it is causing a drain of battery when it is set to shut off lamps when ignition turned off. Tomorrow the 27 May 2013, I will be back at dealership demanding this is repaired or they replace the car as I have owned it approximately 6 weeks and have had this issue 2 times with 7400 total miles on car.

- Hunlock Creek, PA, USA

Apr 082013

This is concerning the same vehicle as in my previous complaint: 10507443. While driving into work on 4/8/13, I put the front and rear defoggers on. Later when I went to switch them off, they wouldn't. I thought maybe there was a timer. I waited five minutes and then was able to switch off the rear defogger. I still was unable to switch off the front. I pushed all the bottoms to switch the air position and even turned the entire A/C-heating system off -the defogger stuck "on" and would not shut off until I shut everything down. I have reported both this and the previous incident to the dealer I bought the car from, and am hoping to schedule maintenance within the week.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Apr 062013

I just bought the 2013 limited Hyundai Elantra over the easter weekend, on 3/31/13. Two days after buying it, I noticed the light in the dash showing whether the headlights were on or not was no longer working, but I put it up to the fact I was driving at dawn/dusk and they were probably not "on" even though the driving lights were on and showing as "on". however on 4/6/13 when driving at 10pm at night with the headlights most certainly "on" the indicator light still did not come on.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Aug 042012

Elantra 4-cyl

I bought my 2013 Elantra on 7/17/12 from orlando Hyundai. On 8/4/12 while driving on I-95, the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) light began to flash. I immediately pulled into the nearest tire shop and had the tire pressure checked on all 4 tires and they were all fine. The mechanic suggested I have my dealership take a look and possibly have them reset the sensors. Upon my arrival home, I took my car to the dealership and they were unable to provide a reason for the sensors going off. The issue persisted for several months causing me to spend countless hours at the dealership. They even went as far as to keep my car for over a week, drive it several miles and replace the entire system including all four tire sensors. Despite this, the TPMS light still flashes. They have attempted to convince me that usb and aux cords in my car (used with my phone) are causing a signal interference with the sensors. In my opinion that is a bogus excuse. The car should not have the features if they are unable to coexist. The dealership has also attempted to reassure me that nothing is wrong with the car and it is safe to drive even while the TPMS light is flashing. I do not believe this either as I constantly have a safety feature alerting me to believe otherwise. I have told the dealership and Hyundai headquarters that I believe this car is a lemon on several occasions. They informed me that a car is only a lemon after having the same issue fixed 3 times. Thus far I have had my TPMS fixed twice. I do not feel safe at all driving this car with dysfunctional features.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Feb 232013

The 2013 Hyundai Elantra was parked in a driveway and turned off, and an electric fire started in it. It burned completely up.

- Corsicana, TX, USA

Aug 032012

Elantra 4-cyl

Purchased a new 2013 Hyundai Elantra gls 4 door. Once a person turns on their daytime running lights all of the vehicles parking lights turn on as well. No other car manufacture has mandated all this illumination during daytime hours. On August 3rd 2012 at 11:40am I was issued a moving violation by a los angeles police officer in the city of van nuys, C.a. I was cited for violating California vehicle code section 24800 which states "no vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also illuminated". I explained the scenario to my lawyer and he advised me that the citation is valid because in C.a. the word headlamps in vc section 24800 is interpreted by the courts as the vehicles primary source of forward illumination and daytime running lights do not fall into this primary source category. To avoid future citations I highly recommend that if you operate any 2013+ Hyundai product do not use the daytime running light feature because the parking lights will light up and you will be subject to a citation. I advised Hyundai via a recorded phone call about this problem. If they do not take proper action to correct this they will be considered negligent.

- Burbank, CA, USA