Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

2013 Hyundai Elantra steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jul 122014

The electric power steering (eps) light came on and I had no power steering. Fortunately, it happened when I was starting the car and not while I was driving, which could have been a potentially significant safety issue. This happened with approximately 9,750 miles on the car. The majority of my driving is on the parkway and expressway. The dealership replaced the steering column. However, it is very concerning to me that there was a loss of power steering with such little mileage on the car. I was just very fortunate it happened while I was not driving.

- Woodbury, NY, USA

Jul 192014

Power steering failed during a turn on a busy street. Car was almost impossible to steer but managed to get if off the road. Towed to Hyundai dealer - they just called and said they needed to replace the steering column.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Jul 012013

Elantra 4-cyl

The first time this happened I had my car for about two weeks. I was driving my 2013 Hyundai Elantra on a rough road and the rear end felt like it was fish tailing. It was a very scary experience. I was driving approx 30-35mph. This happens every time I drive on an uneven surface. I have to hold the steering wheel as tight as possible with both hands and the car still feels uncontrollable. I have taken it to the dealer but they drove it and said that there is nothing wrong with the car. It is so scary that this company will let people drive a car around that is this dangerous. I have three children and it scares me to drive the car with them in it. I have also had problems inter-mentally with the car failing to start. The dash lights come on, the radio and A/C all come on but the engine will not turn over. After several attempts it finally starts. I took the car into the dealer and they said that the car had no problems starting for them. I have had this car for a little over a year now and the problems continue. I bought this car based on the reputation of Hyundai. What a mistake!

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Jun 262014

Elantra 4-cyl

Ecs light went on and immediately lost "power steering"/electronic steering. Vehicle became extremely difficult to steer. Vehicle is new, approximately half a year on the road with less than 2000 miles driven. Dealership mechanic says whole column needs to be replaced and that the part is back-ordered, not knowing how long it will take to repair.

- Flushing, NY, USA

Oct 012013

Continuous issue with control of car when windy or wet roads. Any time I'm on an uneven patch of road or a bump, it's like I lose control of my car. Car wanders out of control on wet road or when windy.

- El Reno, OK, USA

May 282014

Elantra 4-cyl

Rental car, Hyundai Elantra 2013, from enterprise. Vehicle unsafe to drive, can lose steering control very easily, which I experienced first hand during rainy conditions. The other drivers in front and behind me did not have any issues with steering, but this vehicle lost control...updated 07/15/14

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Apr 152014

The night I bought this car I drove home and there was a snow dusting on the road. The car seemed to float all over the road. Whenever I hit a small bump, pot hole, or a seam in the road (no matter how small) the car jerks out of control and swerves dangerously across the road. I thought I had to get used to the steering, but it has been a constant issue. I am very nervous for winter to lose control of the car and get into a serious accident.

- Olean, NY, USA

Apr 302014

I was in the far left lane of interstate 255 in southern Illinois. A tractor trailer was in the process of cutting my off when I honked and he proceed back into his lane. I had brake quickly and with both hands on the wheel when the car lost control and I was swerving within the lane for around 2 minutes before I could regain control of the car. I almost clipped another car as well as the median, but barley missed both. I had both hands on the wheel, I did not stomp on the brakes, and yet I still lost control of the car. It also constantly sways to one side as well as the brakes lose grip if you run over any bump at all. You guys need to recall these cars, they are not safe and I am not paying almost 400 dollars a month for a car that could easily injure me in an accident.

- Godfrey, IL, USA

Nov 202013

Vehicle fishtails and sways when hitting a bump or a seam in the road. This happens every time. Yesterday evening I hit a seam in the road on a curve (dry pavement) and it threw me into the other lane. I'm grateful there was not a car in the other lane it would have caused an accident. Dealership states there is no recall or known issue but this is a very dangerous characteristic of this vehicle and it's going to cause great injury to an owner or passenger. In researching this problem there are many other 2013 Elantra owners experiencing this same issue.

- New Philadelphia, OH, USA

Oct 222013

Elantra 4-cyl

I have had nothing but trouble with the steering on this car from day one. At first I thought I just needed to get use to it. Wrong. The car just seems to float all over the road. You have no control. We drove in a snow dusting on the road and you could not keep it on the road. If you hit a slight dip in the pavement, you start to sway back and forth. If the day is just a little wind, you are continuously trying to control the car. I have never had a car that had such uncontrollable steering. This is not right. I am continuously trying to keep it on the road. I first thought it was the tires. I just spent $900 on a new set and it's the same thing. No control. I go over a lot of bridges when I go to work and it is very scary. I drive 80 miles a day to work and I am holding on to that steering wheel and working so hard to keep it from swaying that I am exhausted by the time I get to work. The steering wheel has way to much play in it. This is an accident just waiting to happen. This is a manufacture defect.

- Manhattan, KY, USA

Feb 112012

Elantra 4-cyl

While driving my new car purchased on February 8,2014, the road was uneven. My car swerved so bad when it hit the uneven road, it was so scary. Thinking this was just the road, I forgot about it. Everytime I drive, the same thing happens. It feels as if I'm losing total control of the car. This is on dry pavement, I hate to see what happens in the rain & snow. The swerve is enough to push the car close to the lane next to me. If a policeman was behind me I think he'd pull me over for reckless driving. I've never driven or been in a car where this happens. I have to hold onto the steering wheel with 2 hands constantly for fear I'll lose control of the car when this happens. This is extremely dangerous because I can lose control of the car or hit another car when it swerves. This is a new car & I am petrified to drive it. I am not the only one with this problem as I have read other complaints about the same thing. Please help me. Thanks

- Manalapan, NJ, USA

Apr 022014

From the day I bought the car home seemed alittle funny how the back of the car shifts around. Thought maybe after a few miles it would go away. The next day my dad took the car out for a drive and noticed the same thing. Now today on the highway was driving back from work and hit a little bump with a very small curve and I thought I would crash into the dividers. The back of the car shifted around alot. Almost lost total control of the car for a good few seconds. Scared the hell out of me. Wondering why Hyundai has not made a recall on this situation. By the way it is not my first time I noticed the car doing this. Was searching around seems like this is a very big problem on the Elantra's. is Hyundai just waiting for a big lawsuit to happen?

- Oakland Gardens , NY, USA

Mar 152014

Elantra 4-cyl

The ESC pitched the car sideways @ 65mph on I-84 S of sturbridge MA. The car has no directional stability as it wanders side-to-side requiring constant steering control.

- Ossining, NY, USA

Feb 132014

Elantra 4-cyl

While driving across a bridge, the car's rear will lurch to one side and then back again. It also happens on rough roads. There is one particular bridge that I hate driving over because I know it will happen. I fear that if this happens in slippery conditions, I'll lose control. Reading from others comments, it doesn't appear Hyundai will do anything about it. My 2007 didn't have this issue. I'm also having an issue with the engine making a grinding noise on start up. There are youtube vids that show it too. The brakes make a horrible grinding noise. Also the car is difficult to keep in a straight line, you constantly have to make adjustments. I've had many cars, never these kinds of issues. A real disappointment. Wish I had kept my 2007 Elantra.

- Barboursville, VA, USA

Jan 022014

Elantra 4-cyl

Noticed when I test drove this vehicle in April 2013 when it hit small bumps in the road it seemed unsteady in the back. Thought it was just the dynamics of a new vehicle I would get used to. I'm used to driving dynamics of small vehicles. There have been a few times where I've been driving at speeds between 20-70mph when I hit a bump on a straight/curved road and vehicle would shake wildly and feel like it was out of control. Today we have snow covered/slushy roads and I've been particularly cautious. At ~60mph on I70 (which was clear and plowed), I moved to the passing lane to go around a slower vehicle before a creek bridge. When I hit the edge of the bridge I completed the maneuver, but a small lip on the section of bridge meeting the road caused the vehicle to fishtail and almost hit the vehicle next to me. I was fighting for control of the vehicle for 300 feet, which is worse than I have ever experienced in this vehicle, hence the reason I wrote this complaint. It felt like another experience I had in a Fiat with a bent rear axle, every time it would hop over a bump it would wobble in the back end and yet it felt slightly different because I couldn't correct it quickly when the car should have settled. From reading other people's complaints, it seems plausible that the problem with the Elantra may in fact be in the front end with the power steering auto-correct to center. That is what it felt like I was fighting those 300 feet, not the dynamics of the four wheels not being square on the road, but instead like as if the car was fighting me. Something needs to be done because I could have lost control with kids in the car. Judging from other people's experiences with their dealers on the issue, what is the point if they're just going to give us the run-around and inconvenience us even more by withholding our vehicles and then giving them back without a fix?

- Fulton, MO, USA

Dec 012013

Elantra 4-cyl

I was driving straight across a bridge the back end started to fishtail it went back and forth several times- I could not get it under control it finally spun out and killed looking into on coming traffic. The fish tailing has happened several times since then. I have only had the car 6 weeks and am scared to drive it. I have read that this is a known problem for this car. What I can't understand is why there has not been a recall on this.

- Crystal, MN, USA

Jan 152013

Elantra 4-cyl

The brakes make horrible creaking and grinding noises when wet. Sometimes it will even cause the car to shake. I have contacted Hyundai several times and they do not take this serious. I have taken it to the dealership several times and they have not been able to fix it. I just took it in last week and they even tried to get me to pay 100 for a cleaning of the brake components, I feel I should not have to pay to fix a problem we have had since we bought the car new and have had it in several times and they have not been able to fix it. I am not confident driving the car now and clearly no one would want it buy it off us when it makes such horrible noises. I also believe it cannot be safe and will cause premature failure of the brake calipers and / or possible the ball joints or front steering suspension. I think they have a faulty design in the brake hydraulics and the differential pressures between the front and rear brakes are not right.

- Greenfield, WI, USA

Jun 192013

Car wanders on roadway, returned car to two different dealers three times, the first dealer told me there was 60psi in one tire, the tires were adjusted and was told that this would fix the problem, it did not. The second time I took the car in I was told that there was nothing wrong with the car and it was within specs, and that I may be having problems adjusting to the electronic steering, and that if I had bought the car from his dealership that he would work something out with me. After talking to the company about this problem, I had them make the last arrangement to get the car in to the original dealer where I was told once again that there was no problem with the car. I'm 54 years old, and have driven many cars, and this one is a nightmare to drive, can you help?

- Woodbridge, NJ, USA

Jun 292012

Elantra 4-cyl Diesel

The 2011 through 2013 Elantra's have this same inherent issue in which the rear of the car is not engineered to maintain a straight line or track properly over bumps and dips in the road. I have taken my 2013 Elantra limited to mccarthy blue springs Hyundai and called Hyundai customer service and requested contact by their district service manager over the past year but it has been over 2 months and no response from the district service manager (today is 8-27-2013). The service department knows this is an issue but say its the way the car is made and there's nothing they can do about it. The problem is an issue in turns and can kick the car out of line in wet, snowy or icy conditions so much that the vehicle stability assist must intervene. These are not conditions that my other car has an issue with or any car that I've owned in the past that did not have vsa. The issue is not due to the rear end of the car being light due to not having a spare tire as some have been told, this issue is purely the fault of Hyundai and may even involve the electric power steering not being properly tuned to maintain a straight line as the wheel will abruptly return to a position far left of center. I have spoken with other 2011 to 2013 Elantra owners and they have the same complaints and I have driven other cars and they exhibit the same issue. Its long overdue for a recall NHTSA.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Aug 102013

Elantra 4-cyl

Being a 40 plus year driver and an Indiana cdl license holder I can not keep this car between the lines at highway speeds. It wonders left then right and sometimes the wheel seems to resist correction. I have a 09/03/2013 service date to have the car looked at.

- Columbus, IN, USA