CarComplaints.com Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

2013 Hyundai Elantra steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Mar 302015

Elantra 4-cyl

When going over any road defects or abnormalities, while driving the car, I have become aware of how the suspension is on this vehicle makes noises, fishtails, and seems to bottom out with any speed bump. Rear wheels seem to lose traction when hitting any type of small hole, crack, or drop in road flatness. Suspension also sways awkwardly with certain turns. Only getting more and more noticeable as the car continues to age.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Mar 172015

Elantra

At speeds above 40mph the car has an issue with driving straight. When driving in a straight line you have to constantly correct the vehicle from swerving. The car constantly wants to pull to the left for no reason, and no movement in the steering wheel can be felt. I feel the vehicle is too unsafe to drive for my wife. Please investigate this issue. From what I can see on forums it is a common issue.

- Boonton, NJ, USA

Nov 202014

Elantra

Since buying this car in November 2014, I noticed an issue with stability while driving on the highway and was unsure as to what was causing the car to feel like it was jumping after hitting small bumps. After doing some research I understand now that it is the suspension that is causing this instability. The bumps I hit on the highway are not major bumps, these are just the small ones that transition from section to section of the highway so I know it isn't the road I drive on, it is the car. This is actually the third Hyundai I have owned, and have never had any issues like this with their vehicles. I have always felt safe while driving them until this Hyundai Elantra 2013. Also while driving on the highway, anywhere from 45-65mph the driving stability feels unsafe and the vehicle wavers back and forth on the highway, having to always correct it. When it is windy it is extremely worse. I cannot believe Hyundai made a car this unsafe. Driving this winter I have only hoped that the jumping and wavering didn't cause an accident on the highway. That is completely unacceptable to feel that way in a newer vehicle. Please continue looking into and investigating this issue as the company should be made responsible for these issues.

- East Syracuse, NY, USA

Feb 282015

Elantra 4-cyl

My 2013 Hyundai Elantra gls has the swerving problem. Any time I'm on an uneven patch of road or a bump, it's like I lose control of my car. You have to keep 2 hands on the wheel at all times to try & keep some control. I hope you agree that this is a safety issue. Please open an investigation. This safety defect exists in a group of cars please order a recall.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Feb 112015

Elantra

I purchased this car in July 2014. A. 2013 Hyundai Elantra and after 3 weeks the front passenger tire went out after barely hitting curb around by September 2014, the drivers tire was deflating replaced. On 2/10/2015 the tire in rear went out while driving on highway, the dealership says it could because a nail got into the tire and caused the problem. It just seems a bit unusual for 3 tires in less than a year of owning this vehicle, which was new purchased July 2014. 2013 Hyundai Elantra.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Sep 302014

Elantra

They car drives fine until you hit a any sort of bump or hole in the road. When that happens the back end wiggles and in the rain it is much worse. It is even worse on the highway going at a higher speed. I have read several other complaints online with drivers facing similar issues. I am worried that it will one day lose control. I do not feel like I am in control of the car, I've taken it to the dealer several times and they say everything is fine and that is just how the car drives.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 112013

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph and going over a bump, the vehicle veered to the right and left. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Dec 092014

Elantra

Eps and ESC lights came on and vehicle lost power steering. Problem is intermittent. Vehicle towed to dealership. Dealership is unable to replicate issue at this time. No fault codes found by dealership service dept. Dealer advised they will test vehicle again today (12/11/14) to try to replicate issue. Issue occurred several times (8 to 9) over a 24 hour period. Very dangerous situation as condition occurs randomly. Eps light will turn off and ESC light stayed illuminated. Vehicle recovered on its own when eps light turned off. Both lights were off the following morning when towed to dealership after sitting overnight. Condition has occurred while making a U-turn, pulling out of drive way, and while making left and right turns.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 272014

Elantra

When reaching 45-50 mph, steering became so loose that it was difficult to stay in my lane. Pulled over to see if there were any apparent problems with the tires, but none were seen. Tried driving again, same problem occurred at about the same speed (noticed it around 40 mph this time). Could not continue trip; had to be towed 50 miles back to indianapolis. Have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow (closed for thanksgiving holiday today). Traction control had briefly engaged about 10 minutes earlier on a slick area, but seemed to be an appropriate response, and the light went off. Not sure if this is related.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 022013

Elantra

2013 Elantra gls. Car wanders all over the place when you go over any dip or crack in the road. It is almost like you are driving over patches of ice when you are on dry. Roads. Car has become very squirrelly and unsafe. Have read numerous complaints on line of same problems from many other Elantra owners.a

- Cannon Fallls, MN, USA

Jan 012013

Elantra

Upon hitting a bump or uneven roadway car( 25 mph and above)feels like it looses contact with roadway and becomes uncontrollable.by far the worst suspension in a vehicle I have ever owned.if on highway you better be double fisted and white knuckled holding on to steering wheel because car will be all over the place if you hit a ridge or unevenness in road.the car feels like it is out of control(very scary),so much so that any passengers in vehicle also feels it and grabs hold of something for stability.I have owned 3 new Hyundai, this is the first with this issue.have been hoping for a recall or admission of known problem but cannot wait any longer, very dangerous situation and I refuse to be first fatality before something is done about this.at some point someone is going to over correct when they feel this on highway and that will not end well.so I now have a vehicle that has 16,000 miles and is not safe enough where I will let my wife or children drive it.no more Hyundai for me!

- Utica, NY, USA

Aug 162014

Elantra

My 2013 Hyundai Elantra limited has the swerving problem. Any time I'm on an uneven patch of road or a bump, it's like I lose control of my car. You have to keep 2 hands on the wheel at all times to try & keep some control. I do not feel safe doing my weekly drive from de to NY!!

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Sep 122014

Elantra

I bought my 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT on September 12, 2014, it had 41053 miles on it. As I left the dealership it was raining very hard and I noticed that it was very difficult to keep the car in my lane; my car was pulling to the right, not only that, I hit a bump or manhole and the bad end of the car fishtailed so bad that I thought I was going to hit the car that was in the right lane. I was driving a few days later, I hit another pothole and the car did that same thing but this time the roads were dry. At this point, I realize that the first incident had nothing to do with the roads being wet, it was the suspension on the car that's causes the car to pull to one side and for it to fishtail the way it does. I did some research and I realized that Hyundai owners have complained about this problem for quite sometime but the Hyundai corporation fails to acknowledge this as a problem; this is a very dangerous problem. To be honest, I'm a little frighten to drive my car; Hyundai corporation needs to acknowledge that there is a suspension problem with the make and model and they need to do something to correct this problem asap before someone loses their life.

- Lawndale, NC, USA

May 302014

Elantra 4-cyl

My girlfriend purchased a brand new Hyundai Elantra last year and since purchasing the vehicle it has not driven properly. At first I attributed it to the fact that she had studded tires on the vehicle during the winter, however that is not the case. The vehicle drives wherever it wants, basically. It pulls to the left, it pulls to the right--anywhere but straight!! it is difficult to steer the vehicle. I have contacted the dealership--garvey Hyundai, in plattsburgh, NY on multiple occasions. The service department clearly doesn't have an honest answer for me and basically told me that the vehicle is known for that, and it "takes some getting used to." He attributes it to the electrical power steering, however it is my understanding that this has absolutely nothing to do with it and the service department is well aware of this. They did an alignment check and confirmed that everything is "normal." Well everything is not "normal." My girlfriend is 8 months pregnant and is driving around in a vehicle that is very unsafe. Safety is something that she expected, and that the dealership assured her of when she made the decision to spend almost $30,000 on a vehicle. This is unacceptable and I will not stop until the dealership or Hyundai make this right.

- Morrisonville, NY, USA

Sep 082014

Elantra 4-cyl

This car was purchased for my wife about a month ago and I drive it very little. When I have, the car seems to wonder real bad, much worse on new roads. It is almost like it floats side to side. This last weekend it kept drifting both ways and went off the road several times. The dealer claimed every thing is alright, but I know it should not wander like this.

- Genoa, NE, USA

Jun 052013

Elantra

When cornering and the road is slightly uneven the car skitters side ways, or in bad cases if you hit a bump the car steps sideways. Depending on the speed or the tightness of the turn, the car can drift sideways by quite a distance.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 012013

Elantra 4-cyl

Unable to insert the key in the ignition no matter how hard we tried.this happened fairly soon after we purchased the car from the dealer; it has happened numerous times and has been towed to the dealer 3 times, but the dealer eventually gets the key in the ignition and claims there is no problem "can not duplicate the problem". at one incident the drive of the tow truck hammered the key quite hard in the ignition and forced the key in! I have contacted Hyundai motor and they say they can not do anything for me and claim that" this is a common problem, and I need to steer the steering wheel really hard to get the steering mechanism loose" this should not happen with 6 months old car while it is still under warranty.any input or advice would beappreciated. Thank you.

- Romeo, MI, USA

Aug 182014

Elantra 4-cyl

Just arrived at my residence when power steering stopped. Had to force car to turn in my drive. Electronic steering control and electronic power steering warning lights on. Delivered car to dealer on 8/19/2014. Dealer had car for three days for repair. New steering column with angle sensors had to be installed and adjusted. This was a very dangerous situation and the same thing has happened to other owners on this site.

- Highland, CA, USA

Mar 202014

Elantra

I purchased the 2013 Hyundai Elantra gls with 13,400 miles on February 15, 2014. After a few days of driving the vehicle I realized that the car floats all over the road when driving pretty much at any speed. You have to hold the steering wheel with both hands to keep control of the vehicle. The rear of the vehicle also jumps around when driving over imperfections on the roadway. The back end suspension is very stiff and when going over these imperfections the vehicles veers into another lane or shoulder. I have called Hyundai with no response and emailed them only to be told to bring it to a Hyundai dealership. I brought the vehicle to the freehold Hyundai dealership twice now and was told the vehicle operates to factory specs. This is an unacceptable answer. I have a family and fear that an accident is going to occur with this vehicle due to the poor handling and someone is going to get injured or even killed. I demand Hyundai reimburse me for what I have paid for this vehicle or issue a recall and fix the problems that many of the Elantra owners are dealing with.

- Sayreville, NJ, USA

Jul 312014

Elantra 4-cyl

We purchased the 2013 Hyundai Elantra brand new in Dec 2013. The car now has approx 9,200 on July 31, 2014, went to make a turn and several alarms went off on the car. The power steering went out. I was unable to complete my turn. Had the car towed to the dealership. They stated that the "column & shaft assembly" was bad and had to be completely replaced. It is very scary to be driving a car down a busy highway and all of the sudden not be able to steer the car. The steering wheel felt "locked"..

- Hardeeville, SC, USA