CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee brakes problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 132016

Cherokee

First - vehicle would shift into park and I could not turn it off. When shifting into reverse, the car would not move. I had to have it towed into the dealer. Second - while driving on the expressway, the vehicle gave 5-6 beeps and information panel said, "restart vehicle and service transmission." The car stopped moving forward when pressing the gas. Shifting into park (to restart the vehicle) the car vibrated and jumped. Restarted the vehicle, the transmission light was on, message says service transmission, traction control light on, and the D(rive) light was blinking. Third - all of the above again, except everyone on the expressway was moving at 65-70 miles per hour, and my car stopped in the third lane. This seems to happen when the vehicle is moving and it is getting very dangerous for me and other drivers.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 102015

Cherokee

Car has lost power while driving 3X. Car was in motion/traffic travelling at 65mph, 45mph, 65 mph.dealer/manufacturer are not able to identify problem. Service advisor at steven's creek Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep stated that Jeep needs to buy the car back but manufacturer is unable to help out. Car towed twice to dealer.

- Los Gatos, CA, USA

Dec 302015

Cherokee 4-cyl

I bought a new 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited and after one week, check engine light came on and car wouldn't start. Taken back to dealership and was told it was fixed. Since then the Jeep shifts very hard making the SUV lurch forward at times and other times it will shift into a lower gear when speeds over 50 mph and make the SUV jerk to a slower speed. When cruising down a hill without pushing the accelerator, SUV will shift gears many different times causing the Jeep to lurch forward quickly without warning. When trying to pass a car on the hwy, it takes Jeep a few seconds to "catch" the gear and make it go faster. I have had several near misses of other cars hitting me and me, hitting others due to the unpredictability of speeds and jerking forward. I have had the SUV in the shop 4 times for "software updates" and told that would fix the problem. It has never fixed the problem. Most recent near miss was yesterday 29 Dec due to downshifting wile moving at higher speeds and causing the SUV to slow dramatically without warning.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Dec 052015

Cherokee

In less than a year chysler Jeep has replace transmission, radio, read trunk door handle. Dec 5 2015 car started jerking again like this may -July 2015 and then @3:30pm 12 /5 /15 Cherokee stop in the middle of the intersection of 13 mile & utica. I had my 7yr old in the car and avoided traffic accident pulled over and it suddenly stopped again. Fortunately was able to get home was only five minutes away. Placed complaint to Chrysler they towed the vehicle 12/7/15. However yesterday 12/7/15 @6pm roseville Chrysler Jeep dealership service:(888)409-5930 called to tell me it was my error that Jeep Cherokee stop working because it was "due an oil change in October". I told repair shop my husband and I need to speak to a manager because 1st I received no light signal or notification from this digital display stating I needed an oil change which is provided by 2014 Jeep Cherokee second there is no way the vehicle should have been dry out of oil unless there is leak or something caused oil to dry up. This vehicle is a lemon and is dangerous and all I want is to exchange for another vehicle that is not a Cherokee. July 2015 Chrysler customer care dept. Said my case warranted a vehicle replacement but since roseville Chrysler Jeep have received their money from allay bank they refuse to assist me. This vehicle is dangerous and want to cancel my lease agreement - I pay my $380 lease on time every month I deserve a reliable vehicle from roseville Chrysler Jeep

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Nov 192015

Cherokee

There have been several times while driving the Jeep that the same transmission problem occurred. Twice I was approaching a stop sign in a residential area, once I was coasting down a hill on a city street, once I was slowly accelerating in rush hour traffic on a major interstate, and another time I was accelerating from being stopped at a red light on a city street. The service transmission message along with several lights indicated a transmission problem. I have a picture attached. The dealership I took it took pulled a shift differential code off the vehicle. The problem is intermittent and does not happen every time it is driven. However, this is a serious safety concern to me because the vehicle is not driveable until I turn off the engine, open the door and restart the engine several times until only the mil light is on. This is an accident waiting to happen especially with me driving 29 miles each way through 2 tunnels during rush hour. It is unsafe for me to be broken down in rush hour traffic on an interstate. I fear that I will not be in the right lane like I was previously to be able to try to pull off the road. I fear I will be driving 55 miles in a tunnel and cars not stopping behind me. I fear that I will be causing an accident trying to open the door to reset the engine. No one should have to live with this fear that you are not safe with driving to and from work.

- Harrison City, PA, USA

Nov 162015

Cherokee

The Jeep Cherokee transmission started to slip and downshift causing vehicle to slow. Vehicle would jerk hard back into correct gear as vehicle was traveling at 60 mph. Check engine light came on. Drove immediately to dealership with transmission continuing to malfunction. Left vehicle with dealership for diagnosis and repairs. This was on 11/16/2015. Picked up vehicle on 11/19/2015 and advised update to shaft ware was completed to slove transmission issues. Drove three quarters way home and traveling 65 mph on state highway, the transmission started slipping and downshifting causing vehicle to slow and then jerk back into correct gear. Check engine light came on as well as every warning and system light on the dash. Warning to driver to come to a complete stop and turn engine off came on. Stopped vehicle and turned off engine and after a couple of minutes turned engine on and drove back to dealership. Vehicle currently at dealership for diagnosis.

- Blanco, TX, USA

Oct 152014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While flat towing the vehicle with the rv and driving over very rough terrain at 25 mph, the Jeep would wobble out of control. As a result, the contact would lose control of the rv. When the failure occurred, the contact would have to pull to the side of the road to correct the failure. When the vehicle was restarted after it had been towed, the stability control and steering warning lights would illuminate. The manufacturer and dealer were contacted about the failure, but were unable to resolve the failure. The failure mileage was 290,006. Updated 01/20/16

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Sep 152015

Cherokee

Model:2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude 2.4 liters. Months old: 13 first failure: "the transmission kicked back as if in reverse". the failure mileage was 8293. It was in school zone area. The traffic was slow. Stop and go. At one point, when the traffic started moving the driver (my wife) released the brake and slightly pressed the gas pedal with her foot, the vehicle all of sudden accelerated backward. The vehicle behind started honking at her. She was able to hit the brake, just inches before she hit the front end of that vehicle. The check engine light illuminated and a long message appeared, only momentarily on the dash screen which indicated (something about) "brake" and "service transmission". in a panic, my wife could not recall the whole message. Someone at that dealership told me he has seen this problem before on 2.4 L Jeep Cherokee. After 2 days troubleshooting, Jeep dealer installed "new software in BCM", the latest software version (I was told) and told me the vehicle was now fixed, should be safe to drive. (please note: Fca recall RO1: Reprogram tcm and PCM had been perform on 04/17/15). Second failure: "same problem as the first failure and transmission stalled while on drive". the failure mileage was 8373. Two days after the first failure was "fixed". while puling into the driveway at very low speed with a 3 years old sleeping baby in the rear car seat. Still in the middle of the street, the vehicle jerked and the driver (it was me) felt like it was trying to move as if in reverse, then the transmission stalled as if in neutral. I pressed the gas pedal a few times but the vehicle failed to move. Same indications flashed on the dash screen as the first occurrence. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership on that Saturday afternoon. In both occurrences, no one was hurt, no accident but it could be much worse.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jun 092015

Cherokee

I was driving home on the freeway going about 50mph and all of a sudden I got a series of messages: "service transmission" "service parking brake" "4WD not available".put gear into drive" I was on a ramp merging to another freeway with very little room on the side I shifted the car from drive to park, dash message said to shift back into park, and then into drive. When I shifted back into drive, the transmission made a very loud bang (like somebody hit the bottom of the vehicle with a mallet) the engine indicator was flashing and the error messages were coming up on the screen. This is not the first time I had this issue. Last time I had to shut the Jeep off and wait about 30min for the computer to reset before I could start it and shift into gear. Last time the dealer replaced the transmission valve but obviously did not fix the issue. I am concerned that this can happen anywhere at anytime.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jan 092015

Cherokee

We received a recall for the steering column control module and brought it in to be fixed. This recall directly affects the electronic stability control. My wife drove the vehicle, a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo for the first time in snow last Friday 1/9/15. As soon as she left our driveway, the traction control light illuminated and stayed on as the vehicle was uncontrollable. Approximately 1/4 mile from our house she lost control of the vehicle striking the curb with enough force to throw off the alignment and damage both passenger side rims. My wife could only reach max speed of 20 mph as the vehicle was all over the road. Since then, I have been in contact with Chrysler and the dealership and neither can give me an answer or help me. The dealer states they need a rep from Chrysler to come inspect the vehicle while Chrysler maintains they don't send people out. Chrystler is stating nothing is wrong with my vehicle, and when I asked how they arrived at that conclusion they told me they looked at "the notes". they said they're special investigations unit deemed it to have operated appropriately at the time of the incident. Nobody has looked at it yet!! apparently I don't even meet the criteria for an adjuster rep since they say my car is fine. When I brought my car to the dealership the traction control light was still on. The recall was not properly fixed causing my wife to crash with our 4 year old in the car. One person at Chrysler even tried to tell me our vehicle was not affected by the recall. So why did we get a notice" the dealership will only say contact my insurance, which is ridiculous because my premium will go up. It's their product and their liability. How do they fail to see the connection here" my car has been sitting for 5 days, now I have to wait until Tuesday to speak with a supervisor. So frustrated!!

- North Attleboro, MA, USA

Dec 032014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Again, I just got back the car from the dealership at around 4pm (12/3). The work order says that they have changed/replaced the adaption part of the car to re-learn to drive. So, I drove it home. Around 510pm, in the middle of the rain the car stopped again. Luckily again, that im not in the freeway.the same thing, the car stopped and the dashboard gave me a message to shift gear and the car started to shake/jitter. I called the tow truck and they towed it again to the glendale dealership. This is the 4th time that it happen, with the same problem. I am risking my life and my family's life. Please help!

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Nov 252014

Cherokee

This is the 3rd time it happened. My previous ODI # 16038484. While driving out of the parking lot the car just stopped and the car screen has a message to shift the gear. I did that and the car shakes/jitter. The parking attendant helped me to push the car on the side.

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Nov 252014

Cherokee

This is the 4th incident for this car. First incident was 10.18.14. Second incident was 11.13.14. Third incident was 11.24.14. And this 4th incident took place 11.25.14. While driving on the highway the front end collision light icon displayed on the dashboard suddenly, forcing my cruise control off and drastically declining my speed with cars behind me. There were no cars immediately ahead of me or indicate why the car sensed a collision.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Nov 132014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Second incident for this car. First incident was 10.18.14. I was parking car at a restaurant. While edging near ending point of parking space, park sense suddenly disabled and would not enable. Immediately therefore, a series of icons appeared on the dashboard in this order: 1) red lightening bolt for the etc, 2) front end collision light like I had a wreck, 3) engine light, 4) traction light. The power steering appeared very stiff. Car was still running. Drove car out of parking space and it would not accelerate; it moved at a very slow pace like it was stuck in molasses or quick sand. Placed car in park and turned off ignition. While shifting from D to P, the shift was so violent it shook the entire car and I could hear grinding. Let car rest for 60-90 seconds. Turned car back on and only the engine light remained lit. Power steering was not stiff. Drove car to dealership the next morning.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Mar 312014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Since purchasing the car there have been ongoing lurching and rollback issues with the vehicle. The car will lurch even at a full stop giving the feeling you are about to crash into the car ahead of you. The problem is intermittent. Repeatedly took the car into the dealership - westbury Jeep, NY from day 1. initially they claimed there was no such issue. On a consecutive visit, they addressed part of the problem with a software update that they said was known to correct the particular problem. The issue does not happen as frequently but does still occur. It is intermittent and since you're not expecting it, can put you in panic mode while driving and slam on the brakes to avoid a feeling of being out of control and colliding into the vehicle ahead of you. The car also rolls back on occasion. Both issues are considered unsafe and haphazard. I will not put young children in this car due to fear of their safety. These are still issues from day 1, now 8 months into ownership with repeated attempts to get all problems resolved (among other issues) after reporting to Jeep and the dealership - and not getting any response - I've asked repeatedly for them to take back the car and issue an refund their response has been to stop all communications and close my case. This car is a danger on the road, both to the driver and passengers and surrounding drivers.

- Floral Park, NY, USA

Oct 312014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The car is only 5 months old. Has a zf 9 speed automatic transmission and 3.2L 46 24V -vvt engine. I was driving on a tollway in moderate traffic at a speed of approximately 60-65 mph. Without slowing down or changing speed, the display on the dash listed "service transmission". all power to the engine was lost and car began to slow down. Would not respond to acceleration. Check engine light, stability control light, P! were all displayed. Had to find a way to the shoulder and stop car. Turned off car and restarted it. "check transmission " was displayed. Put it in drive and it felt like it was starting in 2nd or 3rd gear. Would not shift gears. Could get up to 35 mph with the tach at 2000 RPM. Would not shift at all. Got home and let car sit for a few hours. Started car after sitting for a few hours and the "service transmission" was gone. All other warning lights were gone except for service engine light. Drove to dealer next day and car appeared to shift ok. Dealer loaded PCM flash update. Reprogrammed tcm per tsb 21-018-14. Reprogrammed rf hub per 08-077-14. Car appears to be driving ok. Dealer said they couldn't find any problems with the transmission. They treated this very lightly. I feel this is a significant safety issue. Lost all acceleration and control at high speed. No notification of updates were sent previously.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 182014

Cherokee 6-cyl

While attempting to back my 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X2 into a parking space between 2 parked cars on the left side of a one way street, the car slid to the left slamming the left rear quarter of my car into the right front of the parked car causing damage to both cars. I was attempting to back up into a space on a slightly inclined street. I had to apply some extra power to my Jeep. However it went sideways instead of straight back into the parking spot. I thought I did not plan the maneuver correctly but what happened is that my rear left tire lost traction to the road which made the car travel sideways instead of straight. I had reported some rubbing noise coming from the tires earlier in the week and some minor ply in the steering wheel to the dealer. They could not duplicate the rubbing noise and reported fixing the steering wheel. I picked up the car only to find out that problems were still the same. I am guessing that there is a major flaw in the ESC that made the car perform in that flawed manner. The ESC light came on after that hit and would not go off. The steering wheel now more crocked. And the rear left wheel looks like bent. I had the car towed to the dealer on Monday but they would not consider looking at it until the accident is fixed. So now it is in the shop.

- Burke, VA, USA

Jun 272014

Cherokee

I was driving on expressway and vehicle slowed down service transmission light came on.also traction control lite, check engine and another light came on I was able to pull over vehicle would not shift to park.after several minutes I turned engine off.when I restarted vehicle and shifted to park the shifter got rough and jumped to park.since then the Jeep has been at the dealer 2 more times for the same problem. Got it back on 10/8/14 and feel very unsafe driving it.this is my fourth Jeep and I never had a problem with the other ones.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 152014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Was stopped at a red light in an intersection when my instrument cluster/screen lit up with the following: Cel on ABS/brake lights on service parking brake on 4X4 system disabled odometer flashing upon all those messages/lights coming on we lost all power steering control to the vehicle. Speedometer was not functioning while attempting to move the vehicle out of the interaction into a nearby parking lot. Once safely parked in the parking lot we turned off the car and turned it back on again to the same messages/lights turning on. We regained power steering after we turned it off and back on but all other issues persisted. Called for a tow back to the dealership. Chrysler claimed it was a bad ABS module. I am filing a safety complaint for poor electrical design if an ABS module has the ability to bring down the entire computer system in the 2014 Cherokee this can pose a serious hazard to all vehicle operators.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Jul 172014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When starting vehicle from a stop (not initial start up), the Jeep has a tenancy to loose power and becomes unresponsive from the gas peddle. When this happens, I have to just let off the gas and then give it 2-3 seconds before being able to have acceleration power. Needless to say, I have to give much more room when turning. Along with this issue, I have a issue with power when driving (again after stopping, never initial start and drive) where the engine revs high, even when I let off the gas, and it does not increase speed, and looses speed and power. I do the same thing where I let off the gas for a few seconds till the RPM drops and then can resume driving again.

- Huntsville, AL, USA