ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

7.6

2. no solution (23 reports)
  3. software upgrade (22 reports)
  4. replace transmission (13 reports)
  5. transmission replaced (4 reports)
  6. fixed by recall (2 reports)
2014 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

May 162018

Cherokee Sport

Disclaimer: The date of concern is an estimate of the ongoing issue and this is only one issue that I have had throughout the 4-years of ownership with my "NEW" Jeep Cherokee.

I initially experienced the Jerking, Shuttering, Vibration after I had the jeep in the shop for updates to the computer for previous acceleration issues.

During initial acceleration (from a stop), the quick jerking, shuttering and vibration (JSV) begins until the transmission shifts hard into 2nd gear....it then smooths out then shifts hard into 3rd. The hard shifting into 2nd and 3rd is never the same. It happens 2 out of 10 times. Once the transmission is in 5th gear at around 55-60 MPH the JSV returns. This is especially annoying when I am accelerating to merge into traffic, when I am climbing a hill behind someone and I can't get into another gear or when I am driving Lyft and I have a customer. I am waiting for the day that the transmission will just give up while I am merging into traffic and leave me waiting to get rear-ended in the Bay Area. Additionally, trying manual shift does not work, even if I drop a gear or force to a higher gear. The JSV issues don't stop with the aforementioned. If I am making a L/R turn, the JSV returns as if it is under sever compression or stress due to the turning ratio. If I have to make a U-Turn...forget about it, there is so much JSV that my next stop needs to be the dentist so I can get new fillings.

I have an appointment scheduled for the closest Dealership. I am afraid yet hopeful to what the resolution may be. My worst fear is that they will recommend replacing the transmission and force me to pay for it. If that's the case, is there a way to fight back and not pay for it since this is a known issue that Jeep has yet to figure out?

- Chance B., Alameda, US

Nov 052017

Cherokee Latitude V6

Cherokee 9 gear transmission shift rough in low gears. Lunging, hesitations, and spinning wheels from stop. Had software update for free at local dealership. This reduced the severity of issue but no way corrects it.

- Kelly L., Benicia, US

Aug 202014

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

purchased 3/20/14 transmission issue, rough hard shift at low speed under 25mph started around 5200 miles. it is non-predictive and intermittent, feels like you have been rear-ended. occurred every couple of weeks, then began to increase in frequency. dealer has done several software upgrades and most recent done in 2/17 made the problem worse. short or delayed shifting along with the hard rough shift lurching forward began to occur as well. dealer has not been proactive in addressing this problem, they have verified it however twice. I have complained about this every service invoice and taken it in just for this problem twice. However, since they cannot duplicate, they say normal operation. a mal-functioning transmission is the DEFINITION of malfunction; irrespective of whether they can duplicate, does not mean the problem does not exist. it is faulty, period. I have paid in good faith every month and they have blown me off repeatedly, I am filing for Lemon Law.

- Susan B., Sunnyvale, US

Dec 082017

Cherokee Latitude V6

The car has been doing all of this since I purchased it 3 months ago. Car stalls and completely shuts off. Told its gas and not to fill up gas tank. Not sure how this effects the transmission. Car jerks into gear or right before shutting off. Shakes, is loud. Does this with or without filling up the tank. Car had barely half a tank when I purchased it and it did it then. The very next day. I have an extended warranty. And I believe the power train warranty still applies but they won't fix the problem. Keeps saying its not pulling or storing codes. Engine light and service transmission light comes on and stays on. Not on the next next. Hard starts. Trans is slipping.

- Candiss C., DETROIT, MI, US

Jul 132015

Cherokee Latitude

Took my 2014 Jeep Cherokee in to the shop with the transmission recall because around the 30mph mark it would accelerate without warning. The shop took it in and had it for more then a week replacing the entire transmission. When I got my car back I made a U turn because the Check engine light came on. Shop called back said that they put in an entirely new 2nd transmission. Picked up the car, check engine light came on again before making it a mile down the road. Ingram Park took the car again and this time told me that it was a bent wire.

- zluehring, San Antonio, US

Apr 122017

Cherokee

When taking off or, slowing down and then accelerating the car bucks really bad. This happens a lot and not every time so you don't know when to expect it.

- Jim S., Point Pleasant, US

Mar 032016

Cherokee Altitude 3.2L

• CVT transmission

Transmission shifts rough. Jerks back and forth between gears. Slams into gear.

- Gary A., spring hill, FL, US

Nov 202014

Cherokee Latitude V6

I'm a Lifetime Jeep owner, since age 16. I love Jeep, but I do not love THIS Jeep. Purchased New Cherokee Latitude V6 Active Drive II in Aug 2014. I should have done my research and NOT purchased. 10 times in the shop for same Transmission Issues, often for weeks at a time for a fix that never came. All Software Updates Failed. Even after a full transmission replacement this April (4/17), 1,000 miles later we are back to square one. Rough shift from stop to third gear, and third to stop. Extreme Delayed Acceleration (always turning left at busy intersections, the gas pedal does not engage) and Bucking, heavy thrust into second and first gear at fast stops. Absolutely Unsafe. This car shouldn't be on the road. My next step will be with a little luck to get some help from Chrysler to help replace.

- Shay C., lakewood, CO, US

Aug 122017

Cherokee Limited 3.2L

Just bought this vehicle - as it's in pristine condition with less than 22,000 miles on it.

All recalls and bulletins have been completed. REALLY random shifting - cant predict shift points - just weird...

- Kristopher E., Shelby Township, US

Jan 192017

Cherokee North 4cl

The transmission on my 2014 Jeep Cherokee is terrible. It has shut down on the Highway, it is rough shifting, it holds gears too long, it chunks out of gear roughly at stops. I will probably never by another Jeep or FCA vehicle because of this problem.

- James S., Toronto, ON, Canada

Feb 012017

Cherokee

I brought this in complaining about the transmission and they told me it was a radio update. Really?! then they blamed me because first they said it was "totally out of oil" (driving if for 3 months out of oil??) then they said it was low on oil and it was my fault because this was a known issue with this vehicle and I should know to check it every 1,000 miles. What?!?

I complained directly to Chrysler and was given a complaint # and no further action. Had to pay $158 to the dealer to put oil in it (even tho I never authorized it, but they had my car for over a week already!). Problem of it shutting off randomly was resolved (wow, amazing how a software update for my radio could do that), but it's still shifting hard. Going from a dead stop is a guessing game on when it'll move, and then when it does, the lurch can be amazing (and painful, as I had a cup of coffee in my hands and the lurch was so bad my coffee went everywhere). Trying another dealership this time, but not holding out a lot of hope!

- Julie G., Cape Coral, FL, US

Jun 302016

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L

rough gear shifting, slamming feel when gear engages

I spoke to the service manager at an Edmonton Chrysler dealer who told me that after the warranty recall repair, the vehicle would "learn" my driving habits and adjust accordingly. Never heard such BS! The car is doing the slamming shifting more frequently and more violently a couple of time a week. I will not settle for anything less than a replacement transmission for the ZF-sourced nine-speed automatic transmission,

- Steve S., Stony Plain, AB, Canada

Apr 112017

Cherokee North 3.2L V6

Went back to the repair shop. The dealership had already performed 'drive learn' on 2 previous occasions.

I was told that they needed to replace the valve body and relearn procedure.

Picked it up 3 days later and all seems well, but I am guarded.

Update from Apr 16, 2017: Well, the joy was short lived. Two days after the shifting problem was fixed, it started acting up again yesterday. Any suggestions how I impress upon the dealership that this needs to be repaired once and for all?

Update from May 30, 2017: After waiting 10 days for a new transmission to arrive, and then 5 days for it to be installed, I picked up my Cherokee today. I was told by the dealership service department that I need to wait 200 - 800 km for the transmission to 'break in' because it is new. Really! ! ??? As I drove it home, it didn't feel smooth at all. Anyone have suggestions or advice for me?

Aug 242016

Cherokee North 3.2L V6

I noticed that the transmission was shifting awkwardly, so I called the repair people. They contacted me to say that there was a recall for this. I took it in and when I pick up the car, I was happy with it's performance.

Feb 232017

Cherokee North 3.2L V6

The second time, same problem except the shifting was very harsh in the first 3 gears. Took it back to the repair shop. Again, the computer was reset apparently. I picked it up the same afternoon and I was happy again. The Jeep was shifting nicely.

Aug 012016

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

It feels like it can take a full second from the moment they step on the gas to when the car actually starts moving. And once it does start moving, it’s a coin flip if you’re going to steadily get up to speed or squeal some tires. This is going to shorten the life of the Jeep. It also hangs out in 2nd gear for too long. When the transmission finally shifts into 3rd gear it is aggressive, lurching transition.

- Mike W., Louisburg, KS, USA

Mar 122015

Cherokee V6

hesitates shifting into first raising rpms slams into gear

Help! I want someone to care! Bought vehicle June 2014. Loved the car. Test drove lots of vehicles and chose this one. January 2015 first oil change. Nothing wrong still loved my car. March 2015 took vehicle in for recalls. They performed R01 Reprogram TCM and PCM recall. Performed R05 reprogram, flashed ORC as per recall 18R05182.2 This is where my nightmare of riding my bucking car began. I live a great distance from where I bought the car. Took vehicle back Sept 2015. Gave description of car hesitating shifting into first gear causing RPM's to rise and then slamming into gear. This hesitation is dangerous when crossing traffic. Never know at what point the vehicle will engage and go. When it does it is like a bucking bronco kicking you in the ass. They said there were updates. Performed updates to RDM, DTCM, RFH, IPC, BCM and TCM. Drove off the lot seemed fine. By the next day it was back to the same thing. We called the dealership again letting them know it was not fixed. Took car in February 2016 with same complaint. They checked for codes none present. Verified software was updated. Said systems operating as normal. Changed dealerships. Have had the car serviced August 2016, Oct 2016, Dec 2016 and March 2017. Everytime pleading with someone to care. I have been told its my driving. I've paid for 2 separate rental car bills. Telling them I don't want the car back until it is fixed like the way I drove it off the lot that first day. It drove fine for the first 9 months. I have endured a combative service member who did not want to supply SERVICE. Who told me to buy a new car if I don't like it. I've been told that this is a 9-speed transmission. So! My last service paper says it is performing as designed. If this is what is designed I hope you all are getting a good laugh by the old lady sitting at a stop light praying for the car to go rocking in her seat hoping it will go before the cross traffic hits her or it slams into gear so hard it throws her head back while doing a burnout.

- idler, Boring, US

Mar 012016

Cherokee Limited V6

The shifting has become unbearable, I press the gas and nothing happens and then it bangs into gear. Accelerating into a turn i never know what gear the car is going to select and it will change through up to three before it settles on one. I'm worried that when I need the car to respond and it doesn't that it will cause an accident. This is the first new car I have ever bought and I am so disappointed. I am hoping that they figure this out and fix it soon with a software update. Headed back to the dealership for the 4th time next week. So very tired of driving an hour each way for these trips that never seem to fix anything.

- jakedorst, Truckee, CA, USA

Apr 012016

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

I was told by a friend that there was a rumor about transmission issues with Jeeps but I bought ours 2014 Trailhawk anyway. Within about a week, I started noticing the rough and hesitant shifting. Then, I began to experience the engine light coming on sporadically when I brake. Then I began to experience the engine sporadically trying to cut off after I brake & the light comes on. The dealer is at a loss with the engine light issue. I'll NEVER EVER own another JEEP or Chrysler product once I can get out from under this upside-down loan.

- Priscilla G., Roanoke, VA, USA

Jan 252017

Cherokee Latitude V6

Transmission in Jeeps suck. Second time. Car keeps jerking when I slow and speed up.

- yiu, Cary, NC, USA