CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee miscellaneous problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 242016

Cherokee

While driving I felt a slight vibration and moments latter the car would try to shut down while losing power. After shutting down the car would not start again.

- Cayey, PR, USA

Nov 102016

Cherokee

I was driving down highway rt. 18 S at 8:30pm on Thursday November 10th when my panoramic sunroof exploded. It rained glass throughout the interior of my vehicle hitting myself and my 6 year old in the back seat. I was traveling approximately 70 mph when I heard the explosion and pulled off the highway to a shoulder. My fiance was following me and glass sprayed his car as well. The police were called as well as a tow truck. The police filed a report and checked the car for any obstructions.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Apr 112016

Cherokee

Bought this car used January 1, 2016. The previous owner had it for a year and a half. Great condition, about 40,000 miles on it, carfax checked out and I bought it from a Chrysler dealership. On October 12, 2016, leaving work for the day, I drove about a block and the car shut off on me as I was leaving a stopped position. I had to put on my emergency lights and have cars go around me until it finally turned back on after several minutes of pressing the start button. Luckily, all three times this happened at a stop on city streets, but there's no way of knowing if this would happen on the interstate. But even sitting stalled in the road puts me at risk if a car behind me were to not expect a stopped car and crash into me. I had this same issue back on April 11, 2016 & July 7th. The dealership on those occasions determined that was a sensor that was ┐over sensitive┐ saying the oil levels were low and it was shutting the car off as a precaution. They asked for me to come back in every 2,500 miles to readjust the sensor. That's incredibly inconvenient for my busy lifestyle and it's already been in the shop for this reason for two weeks. Today is the Oct. 15th and I won┐T have a chance to even schedule an appointment for a week. We bought this car because we're planning on starting a family, with all of the issues I'm having, I'm not even comfortable giving friends a ride. I love this car, but feel really ripped off by being sold a car with problems they won't or fix. Because I don┐T feel safe, I avoid the interstate and don┐T feel comfortable taking this car on any trips too far from home. Also would like to note that on the first occasion of taking this car to the dealership, they had to update two pages of software updates and two safety recalls they had not done before I purchased the vehicle from them. They did take care of this at that visit.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Oct 152016

Cherokee

2014 Jeep Cherokee transmission jerks. Took it to the dealer and they claim it's working as intended because it's a new technology. This transmission jerks and is very sluggish. I almost had an accident turning left at a busy intersection. The car did not want to accelerate. Luckily incoming traffic slowed down enough for me to pass. I fail to believe that this is normal and also fail to believe that there's nothing the dealer can do. Apparently there are thousands of other Cherokee owners with the same problem. Add me to the list. Any suggestions on what else I can do?

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 162016

Cherokee

I brought my Jeep in for the safety recall R40 radio security vulnerability on 9/16/16. They tried to do the software update 5 times over 4 and half hours. The result of the failure is not having access to the in car phone/rescue system, no navigation, no blue tooth, no radio or music access and no control over the heat/air vents, seat warmers or steering wheel warmer. I was told they needed to replace the radio. They told me it takes about 3-5 days. I followed up with them Wednesday 9/21/16, Thursday 9/22/16 and Friday 9/23/16, as they told me it was on the way and I should just try back the next day. On Friday 9/23/16 I was advised the part was back ordered and would not be there until the 1st week in October. On Tuesday 10/4 I was advised it still had not shipped and they expected it some time next week. Thursday 10/6 I was advised it's not scheduled to ship until 10/18. The continuous lies about when this will be fixed are exasperating. I feel unsafe in my car now and I have a 45 mile commute to and from work. I also pay for sirius radio and have been unable to use it since this happened.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Aug 242016

Cherokee

On Wednesday morning, August 24th, 2016, my wife was driving our 2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude in traffic when for an unknown reason the vehicle stopped dead, no warning, no coasting to a stop, an immediate very abrupt stop. The steering wheel locked up, the front wheel drive system locked up, the vehicle was unresponsive to any driver commands. My wife had to seek assistance in moving the vehicle to a safe location out of the traffic lanes. We seriously believe that this unintended and uncontrollable vehicle action is a safety issue inherent within this model of 2014 Jeep Cherokee. Upon diagnosis by the local fca dealer, we were informed that the vehicles oem battery failed the load test and would be replaced under the Jeep factory warranty, battery part number bb94R750-aa. The dealers service representatives seemed to be unconcerned with what in our opinion is a serious design flaw with this vehicle. The vehicle has received 3 previous software updates under factory warranty due to safety recalls.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Sep 232016

Cherokee

Vehicle loses power while driving and fails to accelerate properly which poses a safety issue when driving on freeways where speeds can reach up to 70-80mph. The vehicle will only reach first gear and reach only a speed of 40 mph.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Sep 192016

Cherokee

One morning I was driving to work in my 2014 Jeep Cherokee, and I lost all power going 30 mph. The dash lights went off, the radio went off, and the engine turned off. I coasted to the shoulder with no power. I called the fca recall assistance center and they suggested I get a diagnostic done. If the problem is due to the S55 transaxle wire harness recall, then they said I would be eligible for a loaner vehicle until the recall part was made for my Jeep. I called my local Jeep dealer and set up an appointment to get the diagnostic done. 2 days after my loss of power, I got a message on my dash that said "service 4WD." I'm deeply concerned about my safety, and the safety of my family in this Jeep.

- Blaine, MN, USA

Aug 092016

Cherokee

Jeep Cherokee: This is the worst vehicle I have ever purchased! I had my previous vehicle for 13 years 192,000 miles and never had trouble with it. The ZF9 transmition sucks. I have survived several close calls and won't let my children drive it as I fear they will be in a car accident. The transmission slips, shifts hard, erratic and jerks you and your passengers around in the car. The dealership has not been able to fix this problem and I fear things will only get worse! I will never purchase Jeep again.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Aug 052016

Cherokee

The transmission sticks in neutral and I have to stop the vehicle, put it in park, engage the parking brake, disengage the parking brake, and shift into drive in order to fix the issue. There are several known issues with the 9-speed transmission. There have been two recalls and still giving me problems. I took it to the shop today. I have no idea how much this is going to cost.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Apr 042015

Cherokee

Drivers side instrument cluster keeps going black so I can not see the mileage, gas gauge, speedometer or any other warning lights that might be present while driving the vehicle. I have taken it to the dealership many times and they just keep resetting and reconfigure the modules and a few months later it will happen again until the cluster unit was finally replaced and now again the same thing is happening. This has never happened while driving but just out of the blue when I go to start the vehicle the dash will not light up, all recalls on this vehicle are up to date. I bought the Cherokee in May 10, 2014 and it was in the shop with this issue on April 4, 2015 and has been in the shop off an on since that time. It is currently as of this moment in the shop for the same problem and I am currently driving a loaner car.

- Story City, IA, USA

Jul 012016

Cherokee

Transmission issues. Brought to the dealer twice in one week.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 302014

Cherokee

Since getting this vehicle in Oct. 2014 we have had nothing but problems with it. The car switches gears when it shouldn't and lunges forward. Also when you slow down to stop the car lurches and shakes before coming to a complete stop. Sometimes you can feel the pedal pumping under your foot when you are moving slowly in traffic. Whenever you are going up any type of hill the engine sounds like it is going to explode. We have taken it to the dealership where we purchased it numerous times and continue to just be told that it is a known issue with 2014 Jeep Cherokee's. there is also a clicking noise by the tires whenever your make a turn. We also took it to the dealership for this and they claim they didn't notice anything. It sounds like the wheel is going to fall off! we should not have these problems with a car that has less than 20,000 miles on it! I cannot wait to get rid of this Jeep. I've had older cars in the past and had not nearly the amount of problems as I have had with this Jeep. It doesn't feel safe to drive. Jeep is well aware of this issue yet they continue to do nothing about it.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 302014

Cherokee

Mirror (side views) are too small for adequate visibility, dealership offers no aftermarket mirrors that are larger. Head restraint causes a posture that is poor for driving and results in pain in neck, back, and head. Head restraint interferes with rear view.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jun 282016

Cherokee

The transmission on this car makes it a death trap. I have experienced: The car not turning on or shutting off on its own (while driving) due to not enough oil in the engine, lunging, delayed acceleration, missing gears when shifting, loud bangs and noises when shifting, indicator lights malfunctioning, the list goes on. I have been to the dealer on numerous occasions (excluding the 6 times for recalls) and they don't even know how to fix these issues. I can't drive this car because I'm scared I'll die I can't sell this car because it has lost all value I can't afford another car right now

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 232016

Cherokee

From the day I purchased my 2014 Jeep Cherokee, it has been shifting roughly. I took it back to the dealership the next business day and said something was wrong with the transmission. The service department did a "relearn, " whatever that means. It did nothing. They said I had to drive it a while so that it would learn my driving behavior. It didn't so I took it back to the dealership again. The dealership did a software update and said to drive it 500 miles before the car's transmission would settle down. Again, no change and I took it back to the dealership. The dealership said nothing could be done but I should drive it now 10,000 miles. After 10,000 miles I took it back to the dealership and they said they could not find anything wrong with it. That is the way it is supposed to run. I've driven many different types of vehicles over my life, from dump trucks to Cadillac and I have never experienced a transmission shifting so roughly or jerking so bad in any of them like it does in the 2014 Jeep Cherokee. This is the first vehicle that I've actually hated to drive and I believe that Chrysler should buy it back. I would be out thousands of dollars is I traded it in.

- Wylie, TX, USA

May 122016

Cherokee

I purchased a buyback vehicle with 2257 miles on it in November of 2014. At the time, it was disclosed to me the reason for the previous owners return of the vehicle was a fuse (although the paperwork indicates a wiring replacement). I've since had several repairs on this vehicle including a complete transmission replacement, cooling system, several module updates, software updates, and wiper motor replacement. The issues continue, and this vehicle cannot seem to be fixed. The bottom line is this: The vehicle is completely unsafe to drive. When in a stopped position going from park to drive, the car makes a loud boom, or banging sound almost like something fell off or out of the car. It's a recognizable sound that is unmistakable. In addition, while driving, the vehicle has a hard time accelerating, and strains, making another, yet different loud noise. It also is unable to slow down properly, as the RPM gauge fluctuates. There seems to be several issues with this vehicle that has already had its transmission replaced twice. It is clear that this vehicle cannot be fixed. I have since had several module and software updates in addition to the complete transmission being replaced, the issues still continue.

- Foxboro, MA, USA

Feb 092016

Cherokee

While flat towing the Jeep behind our tiffin motor home we experienced severe side to side rocking in the rv. Had to come to a complete stop on interstate. We just received a notice of an addendum to owners manual concerning a wiring kit to be installed. We consider this a real safety issue but Jeep does not. Please advise as we thought the problem was the motor home but it appears to be the Jeep Cherokee.

- White River Junction, VT, USA

Sep 232015

Cherokee

I was parked on a slight hill and put my car in park and it started rolling backwards.

- Goldston, NC, USA

Apr 142016

Cherokee

9 speed transmission slipping 1-3 gears issues does not engage engine revs but car does not go right away 1-3 second delay then lumps forward and burns the tires. I feel unsure pulling out into traffic. Heavy traffic is scary not sure if will take off when needed.

- Lompoc, CA, USA