CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee miscellaneous problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Oct 012015

Cherokee

Jeep has loss of power between 0-5 mph; 25-35 mph and 55-65 mph. After more than 3 dealership visits and flash module and software updates the vehicle has gotten progressively worse with loss of power and now uneven shifting including jerking when shifting. If you press the gas pedal down there is a delay before the vehicle goes. I have had these issues from the get go 3K miles and now have 8.5K on it with no fixes or end in sight. Fca has had little to no communication with me up to this point and am still waiting on a call back from them.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Nov 012015

Cherokee

I have a full sun roof on my 2014 Cherokee and it makes excessive noise. It sounds like one day it is going to leak after all the excessive possible movement what might be going on above. Just was wondering what you intend to do with that. I have brought up to chris holmes at the dealership in fond du lac, wi; but basically he states to live with it. Very annoying for me and my passengers. So what's the solution? plus last year was the same.

- Fond Du Lac, WI, USA

Jan 312016

Cherokee

Transmission failure while driving. Car failed to accelerate while on a city street, transmission and parking light came on. When car was able to be re-started, loud "clunk" sound occurred when gears shifted. Car had to be towed to dealership. Fear for safety of me and my two children to drive car and have transmission fail and car stall while on the road. After researching and reading similar incidents that have occurred to countless others over a two year period, it is appalling that nothing has been done to warn customers of the deadly dangers of this car or that a recall or buyout has not happened. Many of us are now stuck with these dangerous vehicles with no recourse as of yet.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Jan 272016

Cherokee

Vehicle seems to have transmission problems. It has been at the dealership several times now due to shifting problems and loosing power while on the freeway. The RPM's seem to go very high and then drop to 0 with no warning. Vehicle stalls out and thus far fca has had no resolution. This is a serious safety issue as it can occur while your accelerating to enter the freeway or while passing another vehicle. Also a danger of loosing power at an inconvenient moment and potentially causing a crash from the rear. Problem has been ongoing since December of 2015 with no solution as of the end of January 2016.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jan 162016

Cherokee

I started my car with push button ignition and it immediately accelerated to 4000 RPM and stayed at that speed for over 20 minutes. During that time, I was unable to turn the car off and could not shift the car. When the engine finally returned to a normal idle speed, I could shift the car but could not accelerate the engine. I would press the gas pedal and nothing happened...the engine remained running at idle. I called to have it towed to the dealer and after it sat for an hour or so, it was able to be driven on to the flatbed truck. The check engine light was on. After 5 days, the service manager called and said that they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. The check engine light was not on and there were no codes indicating a problem. They did nothing to find or address this problem and I'm concerned that it could happen again while I'm driving the car. I am also concerned that the engine could have been damaged by running continually at 4ooo RPM for over 20 minutes.. I would assume that this event was caused by a software problem, so I am confident that it will reoccur. Frnkly, I am afraid to drive this car.

- Calverton, NY, USA

Dec 052015

Cherokee

In less than a year chysler Jeep has replace transmission, radio, read trunk door handle. Dec 5 2015 car started jerking again like this may -July 2015 and then @3:30pm 12 /5 /15 Cherokee stop in the middle of the intersection of 13 mile & utica. I had my 7yr old in the car and avoided traffic accident pulled over and it suddenly stopped again. Fortunately was able to get home was only five minutes away. Placed complaint to Chrysler they towed the vehicle 12/7/15. However yesterday 12/7/15 @6pm roseville Chrysler Jeep dealership service:(888)409-5930 called to tell me it was my error that Jeep Cherokee stop working because it was "due an oil change in October". I told repair shop my husband and I need to speak to a manager because 1st I received no light signal or notification from this digital display stating I needed an oil change which is provided by 2014 Jeep Cherokee second there is no way the vehicle should have been dry out of oil unless there is leak or something caused oil to dry up. This vehicle is a lemon and is dangerous and all I want is to exchange for another vehicle that is not a Cherokee. July 2015 Chrysler customer care dept. Said my case warranted a vehicle replacement but since roseville Chrysler Jeep have received their money from allay bank they refuse to assist me. This vehicle is dangerous and want to cancel my lease agreement - I pay my $380 lease on time every month I deserve a reliable vehicle from roseville Chrysler Jeep

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Nov 262015

Cherokee

Car has been taken in to the dealer numerous of times due to transmission jerkin. In March 2015 the transmission was replaces and the jerking continuous. I have been taking the car in for the transmission jerking but according to the dealer they can't duplicate. As of November 26,2015; the car started to stall while in movement and I have to wait about 10 min for the car to start. So this means that the car stops in the middle of the street and freeways with going traffic and does not turn back on. It happened every day after that. On November 30, 2015; in a matter of 3 block the car stopped 3 times. I took the car to the dealer on December 1, 2015 and as of now they want me to pick up the car because they can not duplicate. To me is a matter of safety. I drive by myself with my 3 kids. I don't understand if they are waiting for something major to happen to me and my kids to do something about it. I have a trip planned for this weekend and honestly I don't even know if it would happen due to the insecurity of the vehicle. I have contacted manufacturing and they are doing nothing about it. Also, a BBB claim was done because of the issues with the transmission and there was nothing done about it either. I and getting ready to do another BBB due to the stalling as well.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Nov 302015

Cherokee

When driving at least once a week, the car will suddenly loose speed and will drop into low gear. A service note comes on the screen stating, "service transmission" and "service park brake." I am unable to have any control of the speed of the car. I have to turn the car off and turn the car off several times, until the transmission allows to switch speeds/gears. At first, when trying to accelerate the car will just drop out and not allow me to move forward. I feel extremely unsafe driving my vehicle especially when this happens on the highway in the middle of traffic. It has happened to me when going anywhere from 25 mph to 78 mph. I have taken it to the dealer where I bought it, and they seemed to find nothing wrong with the vehicle. I took my car to another dealer in another state, and they were still unsuccessful with finding out what is wrong with the vehicle. Again, I feel completely unsafe when driving and I am just waiting to cause an accident or someone to rear end me because of the drastic lose in speed.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Nov 182015

Cherokee

Vehicle becomes unstable and shakes violently when it is being towed behind my moterhome with a towbar. The tow bar has been damaged twice and car almost departed from the tow vehicle at highway speeds. Chech engine light comes on.the only way to stop shaking is to come to a complete stop. You can see a video of a similar Jeep on youtube at " 2014 Jeep Cherokee shaking"

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Nov 192015

Cherokee

I received notice of recalls, numbers R27 and R39. Bakersfield Jeep states that they have no parts to repair the defects and there I no timetable for getting such parts.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Aug 062015

Cherokee

I had my dealership due the R-40 update for my uconnect system. Ever since that update over 2 months ago I have been unable to use my navigation. It says that navigation is being updated. I get told from my dealership that Chrysler is working on it and has been since it happened but yet there is nothing else about this on any website?

- Round Mountain, NV, USA

Oct 302015

Cherokee

There is weather stripping on the rear lift hatch between the spoiler and the lift hatch that is coming unglued. This is a new vehicle and the trim should not be coming off. Also, the rubber trim on the rear riverside door/wheel is coming off.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 082014

Cherokee

My Jeep Cherokee developed an obvious smell in the spring or 2015. I did not smell the mold problem until this point, and the Jeep smelled during the first 10 minutes of running the A/C, and then the odor would dissipate. The dealer could not smell the odor, and they sprayed a deodorizer in the interior vents. After the dealer sprayed the deodorizer, the smell coming from the vents was unbearable. I couldn't breathe. I took the Jeep back for the second time, and the service person advised that he had never smelled anything so bad, and that he called Chrysler, and Chrysler was aware of the problem and it was mold. He said that Chrysler was sending a kit to clean the A/C with chemicals. During the time that I drove this Jeep, I became very ill, all symptoms that are consistent with mold exposure.

- Akron, OH, USA

Oct 182015

Cherokee

On 10/18/2015, while flat towing my 2014 Jeep Cherokee at approximately 60 mph on I-5 near san clemente, ca behind our rv, we suddenly experienced a violent side to side swerving sensation. While working to control the rv, I viewed via the rear camera, the Cherokee rocking side to side, violently shaking the rv. The 2014 Jeep Cherokee is specifically designed to be flat towed behind the rv, and was connected to the rv with a blue-ox towing system. I had previously towed the Jeep Cherokee approximately 14,000 miles prior to this event with no problems. The violent swaying continued through the braking process, and did not cease until the vehicle came to a complete stop. After stopping on I-5, a preliminary investigation did not identify an obvious cause such as a flat/soft tire on the rv or Jeep, loose or damaged tow bar. I slowly exited the interstate and parked in a safe location for a closer inspection. Turning the Jeep's ignition to "on" without starting, I noticed my check engine light and electronic stabilitycontrol light were illuminated. After checking various rv forums, I discovered that others with 2014 Jeep Cherokee had experienced the same issue which seems to resolve itself after stopping the vehicle. I continued on my journey without any additional problems and the warning lights on my dash reset within a day or so. It appears to be a unique problem to 2014 Jeep Cherokee according to various rv forums. My 2014 Jeep Cherokee is equipped with the active drive II transmission specifically designed for flat towing behind my rv.

- Mooers, NY, USA

Jul 282015

Cherokee

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 12:12pm on interstate 91-S at 65mph in the middle travel lane, I was surrounded by multiple tractor-trailers. My dashboard suddenly lit up like a christmas tree. I immediately attempted to get to safety. The car's speed dropped dramatically without warning, even when I applied the gas. At least two tractor-trailers just missed hitting me. I narrowly managed to get to the right side of the highway. On Friday, July 31, 2015, executive Jeep reassured me that the vehicle was repaired and safe to drive. I expressed my concern about it being safe; the service advisor re-assured me that it was. On Monday, August 3, 2015, just 7 days after the vehicle failed me, I was en route to work on 91-N I was traveling in the middle lane surrounded by multiple vehicles. Again, the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. I was almost hit by other vehicles while trying to make my way to the right side of the highway. The car's speed dropped dramatically without warning, even when I applied the gas. For the second time in one week, the vehicle failed in the same manner and I narrowly managed to get to the breakdown lane. Chrysler insists that this vehicle is safe to drive. This is the third Jeep Cherokee in Connecticut that I am personally aware of that has the same defect; this is unacceptable. I purchased a new Jeep to be safe; my experience with Jeep has been far from that. I am stuck paying of an unsafe vehicle. Narrowly avoiding being killed twice in this vehicle is enough for me.

- Branford, CT, USA

Jun 012015

Cherokee

When going from a stopped or slow speed to a quicker speed the Jeep does not respond. It stalls, sometimes in the middle of a road, then will suddenly kick very hard and finally get going. The ca does this if I am merging onto a highway, going on a green light, or pulling into traffic (turning left or right). The way it is acting it is extremely likely that I will be hit. This has been happening for several months. I have take to two different dealerships and told two different things. One saying there was a software update they did that should take care of it, would not explain the update to me. The other saying they could not replicate the problem and everything seems to be operating fine and that this is just the "new 9 gear transmission deciding on a gear"

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 302015

Cherokee

I flat tow this vehicle behind a motor home all in accordance with Jeep specs. Jeeps have been a popular vehicle for towing for many years. While towing the vehicle will, without warning, begin lunching side to side violently. It is so violent that it starts the entire 27,000 pound motor home rocking side to side. Watching in the rear camera it appears that the wheels are turning from side to side and that the Jeep is trying to roll over. Because of the safety and fear of mechanical damage I have stopped towing this vehicle. Talking in the rv community I have found that this is a consistent problem with Jeep Cherokee's manufactured since 2014. The problem occurs at different speeds and with different manufacturer tow bars. There is a video posted on youtube where you can see exactly how violent and dangerous this is - https://youtu.be/0ntdckriasw. This has happened to me on 4 occasions. The last one is shown below on this form happened while towing at 60mph and I refused to tow the car on the return trip. The Jeep in the youtube video is being towed at 25-30mph. Coming to a complete stop is the only way to stop the lurching. I view this as a very hazardous condition and believe a smaller, lighter rv could be turned over by this very possibly causing serious injury.

- Indian Land, SC, USA

Jun 232015

Cherokee

The day after we bought the Jeep the check engine light came on, took back to dealer they reset system. I took in couple months having the Jeep for shifting hard, stalling and not much power up hills. They often told me when taking it to dealer they can't duplicate my problem. After taking in to dealer several times on 5/08/2015 they finally replaced my transmission, it had died on me at a busy intersection wouldnt shift and check engine light on. When got my Jeep back still had the same problems and airconditioner was'nt working properly. So as of now my Jeep back at the dealer for accelerating on its own, stalling, no power, shifting hard and dead gas pedal at times while driving. I have talked with the service manager today and he says they can't fix it if shows no code or he can't duplicate the problem. Thats the story I get when taking it to the shop. I have tried to get them to buy it back and haven't gotten anywhere with that as of right now. I feel that this Jeep is so dangerous that I don't wana drive it anymore.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

Mar 092015

Cherokee

While driving my car through an intersection, while pressing the gas, the car's transmission acted like it was in neutral. This was disturbing because at the time I needed power. The car did this 3 times. I put the car in for service and without an engine light on there was nothing they would do. 6 months later Jeep realized that it needed a new transmission. They replaced the transmission and now every time I come to a stop the car jerks. It feels completely unsafe and this car scares me. I have a family of 5 and I am now subjecting all of us to a potential unsafe situation. I informed the service department with no response (to date). I will keep trying, but they say they drove it 22 miles and it was fine. It is not fine. It is scary and negligent. They have admitted that there are many transmission problems and that they're working on them. The car is a year old and has never felt quite right.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Aug 272015

Cherokee

Several times while I was driving the digital dash display went blank, red "battery" indicator came on, "no bus" fault message appeared, the headlights went off, the turn signal did not work, radio did not work, door locks would not work (lock/unlock). The safety issue is to lose function of headlights and turn signal while driving. Also if a crash were to occur, I may not be able to exit my vehicle in an emergency, due to not being able to unlock my doors. Between August 27, 2015 and September 14, 2015 this occurred four (4) separate times. The vehicle was turned in for service each time this occurred. The problem is intermittent, during driving it can come and go. Service department at authorized Jeep dealer stated that they do not have any instrumentation to troubleshoot can bus and they can not duplicate the issue. I would pull over into a safe area and take photos of the dash showing the faults. Service department can only reset faults as displayed on a tablet when plugged into the vehicle. Again dealer has no tools to look up bus problems, electrical contact issue, etc.

- Warren, MI, USA