CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee steering problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

May 102015

Cherokee

Note: This issue is with the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel engine: On the 1st occurrence, after merging on highway with 4 passengers, at approximately 55-60 mpg, vehicle began to violently shudder/vibrate, with shuddering steering wheel difficult to control. Shuddering stopped when removing foot from accelerator, and started shuddering again when I began accelerating. It happened several more times on the way home, and has continued to vibrate/shudder intermittently every day since. It seems to primarily happen around 7th/8th gear at 55-60mph, but has also happened going around 40mph. Research shows this is a common problem with the 2014 ecodiesel engine, and could very easily cause a fatal accident.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 282015

Cherokee 4-cyl

Driving 80mph on highway when computer shut down, lost power steering, lost response from throttle, RPM went to 0, mph went to 0. note on dash computer said to shift into desired gear when the car was already in drive. No check engine light came on.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Sep 102014

Cherokee 4-cyl

We leased this car in 3/14 with the thought of problem free driving. The first week we felt as though the car was hopping when shifting. Then the steering wheel would squeak when you turned it (found that odd). Took it back to dealer they did a flash change but did not road test it. They said we need struts and they are on back order till who knows when. So now we set here afraid to drive it but still have to make payments. I am a 68 year old women who does not want to drive a year old car. Oh btw the car still does hop when it shifts. Can anyone point me in the right direction to turn this car in?

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Nov 072014

Cherokee

I do not know if this is a safety issue but I am concerned. My Jeep has been in twice to the dealer for noisy steering and I am scheduled to take it in again this week for the same issue. The dealer has been unable to repair it. It is continuing to make noise. The noise is worse when the weather is cold outside. I have noticed that others on the internet have complained of this same issue with this new model of Jeep Cherokee.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 092015

Cherokee

Bought a $55,000 Jeep. Got a call from the dealership atlantic Chrysler in northfield NJ 10 days later to schedule for a service recall on the steering. They let it leave the showroom knowing there was a recall in affect. Saw the story about this on gma this am, wanted to report, not right at all!

- Galloway , NJ, USA

Dec 032014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Again, I just got back the car from the dealership at around 4pm (12/3). The work order says that they have changed/replaced the adaption part of the car to re-learn to drive. So, I drove it home. Around 510pm, in the middle of the rain the car stopped again. Luckily again, that im not in the freeway.the same thing, the car stopped and the dashboard gave me a message to shift gear and the car started to shake/jitter. I called the tow truck and they towed it again to the glendale dealership. This is the 4th time that it happen, with the same problem. I am risking my life and my family's life. Please help!

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Nov 252014

Cherokee

This is the 3rd time it happened. My previous ODI # 16038484. While driving out of the parking lot the car just stopped and the car screen has a message to shift the gear. I did that and the car shakes/jitter. The parking attendant helped me to push the car on the side.

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Nov 202014

Cherokee 4-cyl

The owner of a 2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude purchased this vehicle in may of 2014. Within 3 months I noticed having problems with the dash board with lights or instrument cluster not coming on when vehicle is started. I figured it was a fuse and did not immediately have a concern, but this has occurred at least three times. I take the car to the dealer and reported grinding noise when I turn steering wheel, dash lights going out, and concern of not receiving the gas mileage that I should be receiving. The dealer at Jeep Chrysler at local state diagnosed as the rack and pinion and needed to be replaced. I travel out of state and during my visit the dash board lights are out again and disables me not to see how fast I am going or how much gas is in the car. I take the car to the dealer and the dealer reports it's the instrument cluster.

- Redfield , AR, USA

Nov 292014

Cherokee

While driving the steering wheel got locked all of sudden. Fortunately I was not on high way and the brake was working at that time, otherwise I would not be able to type here or I would have killed someone else.

- Nyc, NY, USA

Nov 242014

Cherokee 4-cyl

#1-car jerks itself out of lane very heavily to the left, almost turns itself left on it's own when lane sense is turned on but not sensing the lane (white indication light). Car does not jerk left when lane sense is sesing the lane properly (green indication light). #2-park sense flashes on the screen 5-6 times while I"M driving. It thinks I"M parking while driving the car or slowing the car down into a turn lane. It literally displays the diagram of car with yellow bars showing how close I am to something while driving or waiting in a turn lane, however, there were no cars or obstacles ahead of me, nor am I parking. At one point I was pulling the car left into the left hand lane to turn into my neighborhood. I was not at a full stop, but almost, in the left-hand turn lane. Park sense flashed 5 times on and off each time a car passed me in the other direction. #3-lane sense cannot sense the lane 90% of the time on main streets, only highways.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Oct 182014

Cherokee 4-cyl

While parking the vehicle, the parksense feature disabled on its own. Immediately thereafter, the red lightning bolt indicator light appeared on the dash, which has been known to be associated with the electronic throttle control, glow plugs, swirl motor failure (low pressure in rail or fuel rail pressure malfunction) and also speed sensors. The vehicle then revved up on its own without acceleration while my foot was positioned firmly on the brake pedal. Immediately following that, the word "transmission" appeared on the dash, then the check engine light, then the collision indicator as if a car crash had occurred, which it had not. Finally, the power steering became very stiff. Drove the vehicle to the dealership it was purchased from and they said the codes were unknown like hieroglyphics. Left vehicle there. The following Monday the dealership informed me there were 3 software upgrades that were needed on the vehicle, however, those upgrades did not correct the problem. Technician also informed me the car was not safe to drive and they didn't feel safe driving it themselves and got off of the highway during a test run. The technician further explained the vehicle had 3 test runs and failed all 3 and it was beyond their expertise so Chrysler engineers would be consulted this week. Lastly, the technician informed me I "may be ahead of a recall issue." The car is 5 and half months old. I ordered the car, meaning, I had it made/built from the manufacturer. It was not a car purchased from the lot. Therefore, no other drivers of the car and it is brand new. It is a safety concern, especially since the Cherokee has been out of production for many years until the 2014 release. As a side note, I remember an incident that occurred the week prior when the vehicle had difficulty shifting gears (automatic transmission). Instead it stalled and revved on its own.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Jul 302014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Wobbly and shimmy front end on acceleration. Only in 2nd gear from 1700-2000 rpms. You can feel the vibration throughout the whole car, mainly steering wheel and seats. It happens approx. 6 times out of 10 when the car accelerates from a stop.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

May 282014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle wobbles/shakes/vibrates upon acceleration from a stop - now is doing it intermittently at other speeds - first repair on 7/22/14 "install sop front axle assemblies & drive 300 miles to completely break in a half shaft" - after the 300 miles and no change to the problem - second repair 8/18/14 "install sop rear motor mount, align engine with 2 other side mounts - driving it off the lot after this repair did not fix the problem - at this time Chrysler has no fix for the problem - I no longer feel safe driving this vehicle and have received no substantive information that it is safe to drive - as a matter of fact I'm having trouble getting an update from Chrysler other than they no there is a problem and they are working on it.

- Farmington, CT, USA

Sep 232014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

This Jeep still intermittently experiences the sensation of wheel wobble when shifting between 1st & 2nd gear. The dealer is saying vehicle performs as intended. ?? I experience this periodically while driving but not every time. This is troublesome & worries me every day while driving this vehicle.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Sep 232014

Cherokee

Traveling to work touched the command button on the steering wheel at that very moment the radio, screen, bluetooth, uconnect system lost power. The radio shut off and the center screen that controls many safety features of the car went blank and would not come back on. I had to call the dealership and they took it in immediately to resolve the issues. I have had the car two months put about 1,200 miles on the car and it has been back at Jeep several times with issues/recalls.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 152014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Was stopped at a red light in an intersection when my instrument cluster/screen lit up with the following: Cel on ABS/brake lights on service parking brake on 4X4 system disabled odometer flashing upon all those messages/lights coming on we lost all power steering control to the vehicle. Speedometer was not functioning while attempting to move the vehicle out of the interaction into a nearby parking lot. Once safely parked in the parking lot we turned off the car and turned it back on again to the same messages/lights turning on. We regained power steering after we turned it off and back on but all other issues persisted. Called for a tow back to the dealership. Chrysler claimed it was a bad ABS module. I am filing a safety complaint for poor electrical design if an ABS module has the ability to bring down the entire computer system in the 2014 Cherokee this can pose a serious hazard to all vehicle operators.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Feb 282014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 15 mph, the front driver's side wheel was wobbling. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000.

- Poland , OH, USA

Sep 242013

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When accelerating from 5 to 10 mph there is a shake in the front end of the car, after speeding up it seems to disappear. I have found several links where people are having the same issue.

- Calhan, CO, USA

Aug 012014

Cherokee 6-cyl

At low speed turns, left and right, ie in a parking lot or turning at an intersection, popping and groaning from front suspension/steering assembly. Very audible and ratcheting feel can be felt in the frame and steering wheel. Not an issue when driving straight or at speed. First trip to dealer...could not duplicate. Next day, after contacting Jeep consumer service, the Jeep was taken back to the dealer and I test drove the vehicle in the parking lot for the service consultant. The popping/groaning noise was evident in every turn and the car was taken into the service area for suspected "suspension" problem. Next day contact with dealer...they think it is either the axles or transmission. Called Jeep and they called dealership. I was then told by Jeep they were replacing the axles. Subsequent msg from service department confirmed they were changing the right front axle but it was back ordered. Now two days...no Jeep, no transportation, no loaner. I am a master army aviator with thirty years of flying. I know when a machine is broke or about to be.

- Gatesville, TX, USA

Aug 082014

Cherokee 6-cyl

2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude V6 3.2 liter has right front wheel shimmy on right hand turns and on acceleration after stops. Dealer said that this is normal due to torque of engine and horse power of engine.

- Toledo, OH, USA