Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee steering problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Dec 032014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Again, I just got back the car from the dealership at around 4pm (12/3). The work order says that they have changed/replaced the adaption part of the car to re-learn to drive. So, I drove it home. Around 510pm, in the middle of the rain the car stopped again. Luckily again, that im not in the freeway.the same thing, the car stopped and the dashboard gave me a message to shift gear and the car started to shake/jitter. I called the tow truck and they towed it again to the glendale dealership. This is the 4th time that it happen, with the same problem. I am risking my life and my family's life. Please help!

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Nov 252014

This is the 3rd time it happened. My previous ODI # 16038484. While driving out of the parking lot the car just stopped and the car screen has a message to shift the gear. I did that and the car shakes/jitter. The parking attendant helped me to push the car on the side.

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Nov 202014

Cherokee 4-cyl

The owner of a 2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude purchased this vehicle in may of 2014. Within 3 months I noticed having problems with the dash board with lights or instrument cluster not coming on when vehicle is started. I figured it was a fuse and did not immediately have a concern, but this has occurred at least three times. I take the car to the dealer and reported grinding noise when I turn steering wheel, dash lights going out, and concern of not receiving the gas mileage that I should be receiving. The dealer at Jeep Chrysler at local state diagnosed as the rack and pinion and needed to be replaced. I travel out of state and during my visit the dash board lights are out again and disables me not to see how fast I am going or how much gas is in the car. I take the car to the dealer and the dealer reports it's the instrument cluster.

- Redfield , AR, USA

Nov 292014

While driving the steering wheel got locked all of sudden. Fortunately I was not on high way and the brake was working at that time, otherwise I would not be able to type here or I would have killed someone else.

- Nyc, NY, USA

Nov 242014

Cherokee 4-cyl

#1-car jerks itself out of lane very heavily to the left, almost turns itself left on it's own when lane sense is turned on but not sensing the lane (white indication light). Car does not jerk left when lane sense is sesing the lane properly (green indication light). #2-park sense flashes on the screen 5-6 times while I"M driving. It thinks I"M parking while driving the car or slowing the car down into a turn lane. It literally displays the diagram of car with yellow bars showing how close I am to something while driving or waiting in a turn lane, however, there were no cars or obstacles ahead of me, nor am I parking. At one point I was pulling the car left into the left hand lane to turn into my neighborhood. I was not at a full stop, but almost, in the left-hand turn lane. Park sense flashed 5 times on and off each time a car passed me in the other direction. #3-lane sense cannot sense the lane 90% of the time on main streets, only highways.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Oct 182014

Cherokee 4-cyl

While parking the vehicle, the parksense feature disabled on its own. Immediately thereafter, the red lightning bolt indicator light appeared on the dash, which has been known to be associated with the electronic throttle control, glow plugs, swirl motor failure (low pressure in rail or fuel rail pressure malfunction) and also speed sensors. The vehicle then revved up on its own without acceleration while my foot was positioned firmly on the brake pedal. Immediately following that, the word "transmission" appeared on the dash, then the check engine light, then the collision indicator as if a car crash had occurred, which it had not. Finally, the power steering became very stiff. Drove the vehicle to the dealership it was purchased from and they said the codes were unknown like hieroglyphics. Left vehicle there. The following Monday the dealership informed me there were 3 software upgrades that were needed on the vehicle, however, those upgrades did not correct the problem. Technician also informed me the car was not safe to drive and they didn't feel safe driving it themselves and got off of the highway during a test run. The technician further explained the vehicle had 3 test runs and failed all 3 and it was beyond their expertise so Chrysler engineers would be consulted this week. Lastly, the technician informed me I "may be ahead of a recall issue." The car is 5 and half months old. I ordered the car, meaning, I had it made/built from the manufacturer. It was not a car purchased from the lot. Therefore, no other drivers of the car and it is brand new. It is a safety concern, especially since the Cherokee has been out of production for many years until the 2014 release. As a side note, I remember an incident that occurred the week prior when the vehicle had difficulty shifting gears (automatic transmission). Instead it stalled and revved on its own.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Jul 302014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Wobbly and shimmy front end on acceleration. Only in 2nd gear from 1700-2000 rpms. You can feel the vibration throughout the whole car, mainly steering wheel and seats. It happens approx. 6 times out of 10 when the car accelerates from a stop.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

May 282014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle wobbles/shakes/vibrates upon acceleration from a stop - now is doing it intermittently at other speeds - first repair on 7/22/14 "install sop front axle assemblies & drive 300 miles to completely break in a half shaft" - after the 300 miles and no change to the problem - second repair 8/18/14 "install sop rear motor mount, align engine with 2 other side mounts - driving it off the lot after this repair did not fix the problem - at this time Chrysler has no fix for the problem - I no longer feel safe driving this vehicle and have received no substantive information that it is safe to drive - as a matter of fact I'm having trouble getting an update from Chrysler other than they no there is a problem and they are working on it.

- Farmington, CT, USA

Sep 232014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

This Jeep still intermittently experiences the sensation of wheel wobble when shifting between 1st & 2nd gear. The dealer is saying vehicle performs as intended. ?? I experience this periodically while driving but not every time. This is troublesome & worries me every day while driving this vehicle.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Sep 232014

Traveling to work touched the command button on the steering wheel at that very moment the radio, screen, bluetooth, uconnect system lost power. The radio shut off and the center screen that controls many safety features of the car went blank and would not come back on. I had to call the dealership and they took it in immediately to resolve the issues. I have had the car two months put about 1,200 miles on the car and it has been back at Jeep several times with issues/recalls.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 152014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Was stopped at a red light in an intersection when my instrument cluster/screen lit up with the following: Cel on ABS/brake lights on service parking brake on 4X4 system disabled odometer flashing upon all those messages/lights coming on we lost all power steering control to the vehicle. Speedometer was not functioning while attempting to move the vehicle out of the interaction into a nearby parking lot. Once safely parked in the parking lot we turned off the car and turned it back on again to the same messages/lights turning on. We regained power steering after we turned it off and back on but all other issues persisted. Called for a tow back to the dealership. Chrysler claimed it was a bad ABS module. I am filing a safety complaint for poor electrical design if an ABS module has the ability to bring down the entire computer system in the 2014 Cherokee this can pose a serious hazard to all vehicle operators.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Feb 282014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 15 mph, the front driver's side wheel was wobbling. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000.

- Poland , OH, USA

Sep 242013

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When accelerating from 5 to 10 mph there is a shake in the front end of the car, after speeding up it seems to disappear. I have found several links where people are having the same issue.

- Calhan, CO, USA

Aug 012014

Cherokee 6-cyl

At low speed turns, left and right, ie in a parking lot or turning at an intersection, popping and groaning from front suspension/steering assembly. Very audible and ratcheting feel can be felt in the frame and steering wheel. Not an issue when driving straight or at speed. First trip to dealer...could not duplicate. Next day, after contacting Jeep consumer service, the Jeep was taken back to the dealer and I test drove the vehicle in the parking lot for the service consultant. The popping/groaning noise was evident in every turn and the car was taken into the service area for suspected "suspension" problem. Next day contact with dealer...they think it is either the axles or transmission. Called Jeep and they called dealership. I was then told by Jeep they were replacing the axles. Subsequent msg from service department confirmed they were changing the right front axle but it was back ordered. Now two Jeep, no transportation, no loaner. I am a master army aviator with thirty years of flying. I know when a machine is broke or about to be.

- Gatesville, TX, USA

Aug 082014

Cherokee 6-cyl

2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude V6 3.2 liter has right front wheel shimmy on right hand turns and on acceleration after stops. Dealer said that this is normal due to torque of engine and horse power of engine.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Aug 082014

This is a followup complaint to (ODI number) 10618847. A phone call was made to ntsb referring to this incident (ref 670186). Today while driving in traffic and at an intersection, the 2014 Jeep Cherokee I was driving bucked violently then stalled. The power steering stopped working and the vehicle was brought to a stop. When I restarted the vehicle, it was not capable of exceeding 3-4mph even though the engine was revving. The boston police responded as I was in a dangerous location and waited with me for an hour until aaa could tow my vehicle back to the dealership. The check engine light and service transmission message appeared on the dashboard. The vehicle was towed to the dealership just days ago under identical circumstances. The last time the dealership performed a 'software update' and assured me that with the new software this problem could not happen again. Any assistance you could provide would be very much appreciated.

- Canton, MA, USA

Jun 192014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle began to shake excessively whenever the accelerator pedal was engaged from a complete stop. The vehicle was towed back to the dealer since the contact was concerned about the safety risk while driving the vehicle. The failure occurred twice in the first week that the contact purchased the vehicle from the dealer. The dealer did not perform a diagnostic test to determine the cause of failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 458. Updated 08/12/14 the consumer has since traded the vehicle. Updated 09/18/14

- Alden, NY, USA

Mar 122014

Cherokee 6-cyl

This car has been looked at by Chrysler group llc for steering/transmission issues 4 times since March 22,2014. There has been two software updates that have not corrected the problem. There is a safety issue driving the vehicle that needs to be addressed before someone gets really hurt or killed.

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

Apr 142014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contacted stated that after making a left turn, the vehicle suddenly became uncontrollable and independently steered to the right. There were unknown warning lights illuminated as the contact crashed into a tree and an electrical box. The contact sustained head and hand injuries however, the air bags did deploy. The vehicle was destroyed and the contact was taken for medical treatment. A police report was filed of the incident. The manufacturer was not notified of the incident and the vehicle was not inspected to determine the cause of the steering failure. The failure and current mileage was 8,200.

- Hatkett Town, NJ, USA

Mar 292014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Shortly after purchasing my 2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude I began feeling the sensation of wheel shimmy in the car. I first noticed during a right hand turn at accelerating the vehicle through an intersection. The best description I can give is as if a cv joint was loose and a shimmy in the vehicle and steering resulted. When at a complete stop and accelerating this shimmy occurs even when not turning right. Feels like front left wheel" I took to dealer twice. At first they acknowledged the sensation to me and said they went to lot and drove a new Cherokee to see if that same feel happened. And it did. Told me it was the way they were. ??" I continue to have this issue and am very distraught about it. I called mfg client care & reported. They instructed me to take back to dealer and call them after dealer has the vehicle. I did that. This time the dealer says they are not able to replicate the problem when they test drive the car. They say all components look tight with no wear. Jeep has 2500 miles on it. This is a safety concern. I am being told that to just continue driving the vehicle and if a complete break occurs, they will fix then. This is unacceptable.

- Dayton, OH, USA