Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee steering problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Nov 122015

While driving home from work the vehicle jerked and the transmission service light came on. Once the light came on the vehicle would not drive faster than 10 mph and the RPM were at like 4000. The transmission has been weird since day one. I brought the vehicle in and they reprogrammed the computer. It still acted funny after the reprogramming. There were times I would be traveling on the highway and would lose any sort of accelerating when the gas pedal was pressed. It would then kick in all of a sudden. All the issues regarding the transmission and its shifting hard were told to the service tech and I was told they couldn't find the problem. Also the front end steering linkage makes very loud noises when turning the wheel from left or right. This was also explained to the tech who said he couldn't find the issue. Yet the truck still makes the noises anytime it does it. This is not something you expect to deal with after purchasing a new vehicle which is not 2 years old. Especially it is the reason I bought this so I wouldn't have to worry about spending money on an old car and for dependability.

- Glendale, NY, USA

Oct 152014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While flat towing the vehicle with the rv and driving over very rough terrain at 25 mph, the Jeep would wobble out of control. As a result, the contact would lose control of the rv. When the failure occurred, the contact would have to pull to the side of the road to correct the failure. When the vehicle was restarted after it had been towed, the stability control and steering warning lights would illuminate. The manufacturer and dealer were contacted about the failure, but were unable to resolve the failure. The failure mileage was 290,006. Updated 01/20/16

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Oct 182015

On 10/18/2015, while flat towing my 2014 Jeep Cherokee at approximately 60 mph on I-5 near san clemente, ca behind our rv, we suddenly experienced a violent side to side swerving sensation. While working to control the rv, I viewed via the rear camera, the Cherokee rocking side to side, violently shaking the rv. The 2014 Jeep Cherokee is specifically designed to be flat towed behind the rv, and was connected to the rv with a blue-ox towing system. I had previously towed the Jeep Cherokee approximately 14,000 miles prior to this event with no problems. The violent swaying continued through the braking process, and did not cease until the vehicle came to a complete stop. After stopping on I-5, a preliminary investigation did not identify an obvious cause such as a flat/soft tire on the rv or Jeep, loose or damaged tow bar. I slowly exited the interstate and parked in a safe location for a closer inspection. Turning the Jeep's ignition to "on" without starting, I noticed my check engine light and electronic stabilitycontrol light were illuminated. After checking various rv forums, I discovered that others with 2014 Jeep Cherokee had experienced the same issue which seems to resolve itself after stopping the vehicle. I continued on my journey without any additional problems and the warning lights on my dash reset within a day or so. It appears to be a unique problem to 2014 Jeep Cherokee according to various rv forums. My 2014 Jeep Cherokee is equipped with the active drive II transmission specifically designed for flat towing behind my rv.

- Mooers, NY, USA

Sep 212015

Experienced an uncontrollable car wobble problem three times, while flat towing our 2014 Jeep Cherokee behind our motor home in September on trip from Wyoming to Michigan. An irregularity in the highway initiates a violent side to side wobble of the entire vehicle which appears to attain a natural frequency that requires bring the vehicle to a complete halt to stop the oscillating. The third time this occurred was life threatening on I-80 South of Chicago at rush hour with five lanes of traffic at 60 plus mph. Luckily, I was in the outside lane where I could get my rig off to the shoulder and stopped. This is a major safety issue which other people are experiencing with the new Jeep Cherokee. Even though Chrysler specifically designed the new Jeep Cherokee to be flat towed behind a motorhome, and was one of the main reasons I bought the vehicle, the unpredictable danger the wobble prohibits flat towing. A fast growing number of consumers who experiencing the same problem need assistance from Chrysler on how to remedy this problem. Please instigate an investigation into this issue with Chrysler as there has been no acknowledgement of the problem on their part. We have our travel plans on hold until we can have a remedy to the problem.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Sep 042015

I was driving my motor home in extremely heavy winds at the time and the motor home and my Jeep 2014 latitude (4 cylinder) with active drive II started to sway rather violently side to side. I was going about 55 mph at the time. Really did not know what was happening but both the rv and Cherokee were swaying violently. I could see the Cherokee in my rear view camera. I thought maybe I had blown a tire on the rv or suffered a major suspension problem on the rv. Was really difficult to control the rv and could have really resulted in a major accident. Fortunately I was able to slow down and get stopped without having an accident. Of course I got out and checked everything imaginable but could not find one thing that may have caused the problem. I continued our trip without further incident but to this day I am perplexed as to what caused the violent swaying. The only possible reason I can even imagine is the strong winds at the time. However, that is simply a guess and as stated earlier I really do not a valid and scientific reason for the swaying. I can however say with absolute certainty that the incident was very, very frightening and easily could have resulted in a major catastrophe. Would love to know the reason so it could be corrected. Please not that this has happened only once.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Sep 182015

This is the third incident in which the computer of the Jeep Cherokee has malfunctioned. I had it serviced for the second time just two weeks prior to this incident for the check engine light turning on and then the transmission failed. In this particular accident, the screen froze, my phone was charging and when the screen froze my phone was powered off along with the charging port, and then when I went to brake due to it being a red light and car in front of me the brakes and steering wheel locked on me and I was unable to brake or switch lanes. A service light flashed at me when everything froze but then disappeared. Of course, after the car had been off and turned back on, there were no issues. This is not the first time the car has frozen on me. I'm unsure of the better term to describe this. But this time resulted in an accident which was not in my control due to my brakes and steering wheel locking. I was told two weeks ago my car was up to date on all service issues. Apparently this was incorrect and needs to be addressed with Jeep. I also have yet to receive any safety recalls regarding the known transmission issue and the brake hack due to the 3G and uconnect computer systems. This is a safety hazard and needs to be addressed and fixed.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 082015

2014 Jeep Cherokee. Service transmission message comes on screen, transmission make loud noise, engine shuts down. Hard to control vehicle. Almost crashed. Dealer says transmission faulty. Second time this happened

- York Springs, PA, USA

Jul 142015

Shortly after starting our 1500 mile trip on July 14 crossing a bridge the monaco diesel pusher motorhome towing a 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 latitude with active drive II shook badly front-to-back and side-to-side and would not stop until I pulled over to the side of the road. Normally a bump will cause the mh to shake front-to-back momentarily. I got out and checked around and under both vehicles and found nothing amiss. Got in and headed on our trip. A couple of times that day the mh shook when hitting a bump but not as violently as earlier. No more shaking on the trip and no apparent damage. The Jeep had been disengaged and reengaged from the motorhome a couple of times with no sign of damage. We traveled from bryce canyon national park to capital reef np on 20 July over a curvy, hilly highway. At capitol reef we disconnected the Jeep and found the passenger side tow bar/tab had damaged the shroud in the front of the Jeep. We drove the mh and Jeep separately to moab, ut for repairs. When the mechanic removed the lower front shroud on the Jeep and inspected the damage he found the welds on the Jeep aluminum bracket that the tow-bar base-plate was fastened to were broken on the passenger side and cracked on the driver's side. We continued driving both separately to our home.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

May 032014

Transmission shifting problems causing hesitation and/or forward lurching, high engine revving, front end wheel hop. All warrant a huge safety concern. Vehicle has been in for service 13 times over the last 14 months and has still not been repaired. Several star cases opened with no resolution. All concerns confirmed by technician test drive on 6 different occasions and has currently been in the shop for five days.

- Pine Bush, NY, USA

Aug 142014

Upon acceleration before reaching 30 mph the wheels wobble, to the point of tires shaking. This is an ongoing problem. A star case was opened with Chrysler in August 2014 for a solution to this ongoing problem. Have had it into the dealership(front axles being replaced) on several occasions but still no fix for the problem a year later. It has gotten to the point where I am feeling unsafe driving this vehicle. Update 9/15/15

- Roscommon, MI, USA

Jul 112015

I have recently experienced violent shaking of my 2014 Jeep Cherokee being flat towed behind my motor home. It has happened twice on the same day. Very scary situation. This after several thousand miles of trouble-free towing. The first time was over an uneven patch of repaired road. The second occurrence just happened out of the blue. I had to bring the rig to a complete stop to eliminate the rocking/wobbling motion of the Jeep, which was clearly visible to me in the rear view camera. Jeep dealer won't acknowledge the problem because they are unable to duplicate the issue. Multiple complaints about the same issue from different owners should suffice. The need to bring a large rv to a complete stop in order to eliminate the wobbling is a serious safety problem, especially while driving on busy highways. This deficiency in the Jeep is simply a bad accident waiting to happen dealer says they need to be able to duplicate the problem. Enough owners have had this problem and their separate complaints have duplicated the problem many times over. Jeep needs to look into this immediately before it causes multiple serious accidents. Updated 9/25/15

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Sep 012014

When towing the 2014 Jeep Cherokee behind my rv and driving over rough road surfaces, rutted road surfaces or uneven railroad crossings, the steering axle starts to oscillate and shakes the rv and Jeep violently. The only way to stop the oscillation is to come to a complete stop. This is very unsafe when operating on freeways or state highways. I have (1) had the rv inspected and (2) purchased a new tow bar with an immobilizer kit (factory installed) and had the Jeep Cherokee (3) aligned (computerized). I believe that the problem is centered around the 2014 redesigned model in which Jeep utilizes a rack and pinion steering system that permits the steering axle to oscillate while being towed in all wheel neutral. The 2014 Jeep Cherokee is the 3rd Jeep that I have towed behind a rv. The prior Jeep were both Jeep Grand Cherokee (2007 and 2012) and I never experienced this problem with either one. The oscillating problem began with the redesigned 2014 model. I have had the Jeep inspected at several Jeep dealerships and have been told that they can not duplicate the concern and could not find a cause of the concern by road testing the Jeep. The road test ultilized consisted of test driving the Jeep. The oscillating issue is not while "driving" the Jeep - it is while "towing" the Jeep in all wheel neutral.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Sep 012014

Cherokee 4WD

2014 Jeep Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle wobbles and sways when flat towing behind consumers motor home and parking brake issues. The consumer stated the wobbling or swaying occurred when a rough spot was hit in the road. The consumer stated the incident happened several times. It was an intermittent problem and can not always be duplicated....updated 03-10-16

- Lancaster, TX, USA

Jun 212015

While in motion, the car stalled. The car would not then shift to any gear. After continuously trying to shift gears, the car would jump from park to drive. Literally jump. I had to drive home (a few blocks) with my hazards on praying all the way. I called huntington beach Jeep first thing in the morning. They towed the car to the service dept. I was told the transmission would be fixed. I tried to upgrade out of the shotty Cherokee to a Grand Cherokee for safety reasons but the dealer would not forgive the negative equity in the car as we've had it for a year. He insisted we put more money down and have a car payment of $600-700 dollars. We refused. We feel Jeep does not care about the safety but only the number of cars they sell each month which is a same. Thank god we didn't have a car accident as they my family would be planning a funeral. Maybe that is what it will take.

- Carson, CA, USA

Jun 092014

Towing the Jeep 4 wheels down behind my 38' diesel pusher motorhome, the Jeep started jerking back and forth quite violently, enough to cause a serious shaking in the rear of the 30,000 lb. Motorhome. Brought the vehicle(s) to an immediate stop, checked both vehicles carefully, and could find no cause. Continued on with no shaking or problem. About four hundred miles further, after a 90 degree turn at less than ten mph, it did it again. Once more I brought the rig to a complete stop, and then continued with no shaking. On my 5000 mile trip this occurred approximately seven times. The only apparent commonality was that in most cases the Jeep had gone over a rough patch (railroad track. Raised bump in road, towed over a curb) and most events occurred at speeds under 30 mph. I have found there are others others towing the new style Jeep Cherokee who are experiencing the same problem. I am not new to towing; I have towed other Jeep over 200,000 miles with no problem. I truly believe there is a fault with this vehicle.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

May 102015

Note: This issue is with the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel engine: On the 1st occurrence, after merging on highway with 4 passengers, at approximately 55-60 mpg, vehicle began to violently shudder/vibrate, with shuddering steering wheel difficult to control. Shuddering stopped when removing foot from accelerator, and started shuddering again when I began accelerating. It happened several more times on the way home, and has continued to vibrate/shudder intermittently every day since. It seems to primarily happen around 7th/8th gear at 55-60mph, but has also happened going around 40mph. Research shows this is a common problem with the 2014 ecodiesel engine, and could very easily cause a fatal accident.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 282015

Cherokee 4-cyl

Driving 80mph on highway when computer shut down, lost power steering, lost response from throttle, RPM went to 0, mph went to 0. note on dash computer said to shift into desired gear when the car was already in drive. No check engine light came on.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Sep 102014

Cherokee 4-cyl

We leased this car in 3/14 with the thought of problem free driving. The first week we felt as though the car was hopping when shifting. Then the steering wheel would squeak when you turned it (found that odd). Took it back to dealer they did a flash change but did not road test it. They said we need struts and they are on back order till who knows when. So now we set here afraid to drive it but still have to make payments. I am a 68 year old women who does not want to drive a year old car. Oh btw the car still does hop when it shifts. Can anyone point me in the right direction to turn this car in?

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Nov 072014

I do not know if this is a safety issue but I am concerned. My Jeep has been in twice to the dealer for noisy steering and I am scheduled to take it in again this week for the same issue. The dealer has been unable to repair it. It is continuing to make noise. The noise is worse when the weather is cold outside. I have noticed that others on the internet have complained of this same issue with this new model of Jeep Cherokee.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 092015

Bought a $55,000 Jeep. Got a call from the dealership atlantic Chrysler in northfield NJ 10 days later to schedule for a service recall on the steering. They let it leave the showroom knowing there was a recall in affect. Saw the story about this on gma this am, wanted to report, not right at all!

- Galloway , NJ, USA