CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee steering problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Apr 222016

Cherokee

There is a vibrating sound coming from the center of the steering wheel. You can feel it when touching the center of the steering wheel. The vehicle is in motion when this happens have taken it in 4 times to be repaired it still is doing the same thing. The transmission stopped and would not go after turning the engine off and restarting it it would go but lights still on. Had it towed to dealer.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012014

Cherokee

Since when I first flat towed (July 2014) my 2014 Jeep Cherokee behind my diesel pusher motorhome the front wheels and axles will wobble significantly causing safety concerns that the vehicle will break loose or render the vehicle not drivable. This occurs at any speed on uneven roads surfaces. In order to stop the car from wobbling you must bring the motorhome to a complete stop regardless if you are on an interstate in heavy traffic, on a long bridge with no shoulder, city streets in rush hour traffic, on a steep mountain pass, etc. I have talked to Jeep several times but cannot get any action. They act like I do not know what I am talking about. They never heard of it. A recent article in February 2016 family motor coaching says fca knows about the problem and has a fix yet when I call I get the run around. One person said that fca was developing a kit that owners may purchase sometime this year. This problem should be a recall and parts and installation provided free. My case number at Jeep is 28673568. Another rv season is starting with Jeep owners towing there Jeep behind there motorhome, how long must we wait for Fiat Chrysler automobiles to recognize this problem and notify Jeep Cherokee owners about this problem and how fca is going to correct this problem. Note: Rewriting the towing instructions will not stop this problem.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 262016

Cherokee

On several occasions, our Jeep Cherokee has begun to "wobble" severely while being flat towed behind our motorhome. This occurred three times on a recent 2,000 mile trip. The "wobble" is so severe that we have to bring the motorhome to a complete stop before the car begins to track normally. We have had it happen when we ran over a particularly rough expansion joint on the interstate. Going from 65 mph to a complete stop on a busy interstate is extremely dangerous. Another example of it being very dangerous is when the "wobble", occurs when we are in a construction zone where there are rough roads. Coming to a complete stop in heavy traffic in a construction zone also creates a situation that can cause an accident. We pull the Jeep behind a 40' 2013 newmar dutch star. Our tow bar is a blue ox avail 10,000 lb tow bar. We keep the motorhome and tow bar in good condition and I don't believe our equipment is the cause of the "wobble". we have contacted Jeep on two occasions and have been told they are aware of the situation and that they have a "fix" for it. I have tried to procure the "fix" from Jeep but I have been unable to do so. I am asking NHTSA to force Jeep to immediately release the "fix" for the wobble issue immediately at no charge. My wife and I are leaving on two trips, one the last of April and one in the middle of may that will total nearly 10,000 miles. We want to get the repair completed prior to our leaving due to the safety concerns. Jeep was made aware of this by the family motorcoach association several months ago and reported the problem in their January 2016 magazine. I feel Jeep has had ample time to prepare and distribute information and parts to repair this problem.

- Jane Lew, WV, USA

Jan 072016

Cherokee

The contact owned a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving the vehicle at an unknown speed, the vehicle veered to the left when the contact turned the steering wheel to the right. As a result, the vehicle crashed into a field and caught fire. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the back and right leg that required medical attention. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 27,000.

- Milton, PA, USA

Dec 302015

Cherokee

At four different random occasions vehicle will disengage the transmission while in drive and become uncontrollable only thing responsive are the brakes. The power steering will go out as well and the vehicle transmission light and parking light will appear on the gauge display. After pulling over on the highway and letting the vehicle sit off for 5 minutes, I would then restart the vehicle and still get a indicator stating to put the vehicle in park when it is already in park. Afterwards vehicle indicator lights would go away after a few restarts and once put in drive gears would shift roughly. After multiple times of turning the vehicle on and off things will return to normal but as stated before I have no clue what triggers the transmission to disengage. It has happened to me while driving through the city and highway going at different speeds.

- Fort Mitchell, AL, USA

Dec 192015

Cherokee

In cooler and cold temperatures the steering makes a grinding and dragging noise when turning the steering wheel both right and left. The Chrysler dealers have a technical service bulletin on this problem but when the strut is lubricated the problem reappears in a week or never goes away at all. The service technicians act like this is not a problem, but this type is issue does not go away, it just gets worse. Maybe the strut mounting bushings also need to be replaced or the struts themselves may need to be replaced on a proper vehicle recall by your Agency. This noise happens with the vehicle both stationary and moving until warm up occurs after driving for 5 minutes or 4 miles. This happened when the car was brand new and every cold spell since.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Dec 052015

Cherokee

Roseville Chrysler called 12/11/15 @ 10:32 am told me they completed oil change and I can pick up my vehicle. Fyi: This vehicle was towed to roseville Chrysler dealership 12/7/15 and will remain there because this vehicle is a lemon and is dangerous. Will not risk my life or my 6yr son health to drive this vehicle!! 2014 Jeep Cherokee SUV started jerking & idled stop moving on me twice 12/5/15 @3:30pm. I was stuck in the middle of intersection 13mile & utica for 1minute fortunately no one was tailgating & I didn┐T get in a car accident. All I want is to exchange for another vehicle that is not a Cherokee. Purchased vehicle May 8 2014 incident dates May 9, 2014 bake & radio complaint May 12, 2014 brake complaint Sept 5, 2014 radio complaint Sept 9, 2014 radio replaced Sept 11,2014 radio complaint 4/6/15 complaint over jerking vehicle 7/21/15 installed new transmission / installed new door handle latch for trunk 12/5/15 jerking SUV twice 2 stops driving 12/7/15 returned to dealership

- Detroit, MI, USA

Nov 122015

Cherokee

While driving home from work the vehicle jerked and the transmission service light came on. Once the light came on the vehicle would not drive faster than 10 mph and the RPM were at like 4000. The transmission has been weird since day one. I brought the vehicle in and they reprogrammed the computer. It still acted funny after the reprogramming. There were times I would be traveling on the highway and would lose any sort of accelerating when the gas pedal was pressed. It would then kick in all of a sudden. All the issues regarding the transmission and its shifting hard were told to the service tech and I was told they couldn't find the problem. Also the front end steering linkage makes very loud noises when turning the wheel from left or right. This was also explained to the tech who said he couldn't find the issue. Yet the truck still makes the noises anytime it does it. This is not something you expect to deal with after purchasing a new vehicle which is not 2 years old. Especially it is the reason I bought this so I wouldn't have to worry about spending money on an old car and for dependability.

- Glendale, NY, USA

Oct 152014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While flat towing the vehicle with the rv and driving over very rough terrain at 25 mph, the Jeep would wobble out of control. As a result, the contact would lose control of the rv. When the failure occurred, the contact would have to pull to the side of the road to correct the failure. When the vehicle was restarted after it had been towed, the stability control and steering warning lights would illuminate. The manufacturer and dealer were contacted about the failure, but were unable to resolve the failure. The failure mileage was 290,006. Updated 01/20/16

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Oct 182015

Cherokee

On 10/18/2015, while flat towing my 2014 Jeep Cherokee at approximately 60 mph on I-5 near san clemente, ca behind our rv, we suddenly experienced a violent side to side swerving sensation. While working to control the rv, I viewed via the rear camera, the Cherokee rocking side to side, violently shaking the rv. The 2014 Jeep Cherokee is specifically designed to be flat towed behind the rv, and was connected to the rv with a blue-ox towing system. I had previously towed the Jeep Cherokee approximately 14,000 miles prior to this event with no problems. The violent swaying continued through the braking process, and did not cease until the vehicle came to a complete stop. After stopping on I-5, a preliminary investigation did not identify an obvious cause such as a flat/soft tire on the rv or Jeep, loose or damaged tow bar. I slowly exited the interstate and parked in a safe location for a closer inspection. Turning the Jeep's ignition to "on" without starting, I noticed my check engine light and electronic stabilitycontrol light were illuminated. After checking various rv forums, I discovered that others with 2014 Jeep Cherokee had experienced the same issue which seems to resolve itself after stopping the vehicle. I continued on my journey without any additional problems and the warning lights on my dash reset within a day or so. It appears to be a unique problem to 2014 Jeep Cherokee according to various rv forums. My 2014 Jeep Cherokee is equipped with the active drive II transmission specifically designed for flat towing behind my rv.

- Mooers, NY, USA

Sep 212015

Cherokee

Experienced an uncontrollable car wobble problem three times, while flat towing our 2014 Jeep Cherokee behind our motor home in September on trip from Wyoming to Michigan. An irregularity in the highway initiates a violent side to side wobble of the entire vehicle which appears to attain a natural frequency that requires bring the vehicle to a complete halt to stop the oscillating. The third time this occurred was life threatening on I-80 South of Chicago at rush hour with five lanes of traffic at 60 plus mph. Luckily, I was in the outside lane where I could get my rig off to the shoulder and stopped. This is a major safety issue which other people are experiencing with the new Jeep Cherokee. Even though Chrysler specifically designed the new Jeep Cherokee to be flat towed behind a motorhome, and was one of the main reasons I bought the vehicle, the unpredictable danger the wobble prohibits flat towing. A fast growing number of consumers who experiencing the same problem need assistance from Chrysler on how to remedy this problem. Please instigate an investigation into this issue with Chrysler as there has been no acknowledgement of the problem on their part. We have our travel plans on hold until we can have a remedy to the problem.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Sep 042015

Cherokee

I was driving my motor home in extremely heavy winds at the time and the motor home and my Jeep 2014 latitude (4 cylinder) with active drive II started to sway rather violently side to side. I was going about 55 mph at the time. Really did not know what was happening but both the rv and Cherokee were swaying violently. I could see the Cherokee in my rear view camera. I thought maybe I had blown a tire on the rv or suffered a major suspension problem on the rv. Was really difficult to control the rv and could have really resulted in a major accident. Fortunately I was able to slow down and get stopped without having an accident. Of course I got out and checked everything imaginable but could not find one thing that may have caused the problem. I continued our trip without further incident but to this day I am perplexed as to what caused the violent swaying. The only possible reason I can even imagine is the strong winds at the time. However, that is simply a guess and as stated earlier I really do not a valid and scientific reason for the swaying. I can however say with absolute certainty that the incident was very, very frightening and easily could have resulted in a major catastrophe. Would love to know the reason so it could be corrected. Please not that this has happened only once.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Sep 182015

Cherokee

This is the third incident in which the computer of the Jeep Cherokee has malfunctioned. I had it serviced for the second time just two weeks prior to this incident for the check engine light turning on and then the transmission failed. In this particular accident, the screen froze, my phone was charging and when the screen froze my phone was powered off along with the charging port, and then when I went to brake due to it being a red light and car in front of me the brakes and steering wheel locked on me and I was unable to brake or switch lanes. A service light flashed at me when everything froze but then disappeared. Of course, after the car had been off and turned back on, there were no issues. This is not the first time the car has frozen on me. I'm unsure of the better term to describe this. But this time resulted in an accident which was not in my control due to my brakes and steering wheel locking. I was told two weeks ago my car was up to date on all service issues. Apparently this was incorrect and needs to be addressed with Jeep. I also have yet to receive any safety recalls regarding the known transmission issue and the brake hack due to the 3G and uconnect computer systems. This is a safety hazard and needs to be addressed and fixed.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 082015

Cherokee

2014 Jeep Cherokee. Service transmission message comes on screen, transmission make loud noise, engine shuts down. Hard to control vehicle. Almost crashed. Dealer says transmission faulty. Second time this happened

- York Springs, PA, USA

Jul 142015

Cherokee

Shortly after starting our 1500 mile trip on July 14 crossing a bridge the monaco diesel pusher motorhome towing a 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 latitude with active drive II shook badly front-to-back and side-to-side and would not stop until I pulled over to the side of the road. Normally a bump will cause the mh to shake front-to-back momentarily. I got out and checked around and under both vehicles and found nothing amiss. Got in and headed on our trip. A couple of times that day the mh shook when hitting a bump but not as violently as earlier. No more shaking on the trip and no apparent damage. The Jeep had been disengaged and reengaged from the motorhome a couple of times with no sign of damage. We traveled from bryce canyon national park to capital reef np on 20 July over a curvy, hilly highway. At capitol reef we disconnected the Jeep and found the passenger side tow bar/tab had damaged the shroud in the front of the Jeep. We drove the mh and Jeep separately to moab, ut for repairs. When the mechanic removed the lower front shroud on the Jeep and inspected the damage he found the welds on the Jeep aluminum bracket that the tow-bar base-plate was fastened to were broken on the passenger side and cracked on the driver's side. We continued driving both separately to our home.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

May 032014

Cherokee

Transmission shifting problems causing hesitation and/or forward lurching, high engine revving, front end wheel hop. All warrant a huge safety concern. Vehicle has been in for service 13 times over the last 14 months and has still not been repaired. Several star cases opened with no resolution. All concerns confirmed by technician test drive on 6 different occasions and has currently been in the shop for five days.

- Pine Bush, NY, USA

Aug 142014

Cherokee

Upon acceleration before reaching 30 mph the wheels wobble, to the point of tires shaking. This is an ongoing problem. A star case was opened with Chrysler in August 2014 for a solution to this ongoing problem. Have had it into the dealership(front axles being replaced) on several occasions but still no fix for the problem a year later. It has gotten to the point where I am feeling unsafe driving this vehicle. Update 9/15/15

- Roscommon, MI, USA

Jul 112015

Cherokee

I have recently experienced violent shaking of my 2014 Jeep Cherokee being flat towed behind my motor home. It has happened twice on the same day. Very scary situation. This after several thousand miles of trouble-free towing. The first time was over an uneven patch of repaired road. The second occurrence just happened out of the blue. I had to bring the rig to a complete stop to eliminate the rocking/wobbling motion of the Jeep, which was clearly visible to me in the rear view camera. Jeep dealer won't acknowledge the problem because they are unable to duplicate the issue. Multiple complaints about the same issue from different owners should suffice. The need to bring a large rv to a complete stop in order to eliminate the wobbling is a serious safety problem, especially while driving on busy highways. This deficiency in the Jeep is simply a bad accident waiting to happen dealer says they need to be able to duplicate the problem. Enough owners have had this problem and their separate complaints have duplicated the problem many times over. Jeep needs to look into this immediately before it causes multiple serious accidents. Updated 9/25/15

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Sep 012014

Cherokee

When towing the 2014 Jeep Cherokee behind my rv and driving over rough road surfaces, rutted road surfaces or uneven railroad crossings, the steering axle starts to oscillate and shakes the rv and Jeep violently. The only way to stop the oscillation is to come to a complete stop. This is very unsafe when operating on freeways or state highways. I have (1) had the rv inspected and (2) purchased a new tow bar with an immobilizer kit (factory installed) and had the Jeep Cherokee (3) aligned (computerized). I believe that the problem is centered around the 2014 redesigned model in which Jeep utilizes a rack and pinion steering system that permits the steering axle to oscillate while being towed in all wheel neutral. The 2014 Jeep Cherokee is the 3rd Jeep that I have towed behind a rv. The prior Jeep were both Jeep Grand Cherokee (2007 and 2012) and I never experienced this problem with either one. The oscillating problem began with the redesigned 2014 model. I have had the Jeep inspected at several Jeep dealerships and have been told that they can not duplicate the concern and could not find a cause of the concern by road testing the Jeep. The road test ultilized consisted of test driving the Jeep. The oscillating issue is not while "driving" the Jeep - it is while "towing" the Jeep in all wheel neutral.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Sep 012014

Cherokee 4WD

2014 Jeep Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle wobbles and sways when flat towing behind consumers motor home and parking brake issues. The consumer stated the wobbling or swaying occurred when a rough spot was hit in the road. The consumer stated the incident happened several times. It was an intermittent problem and can not always be duplicated....updated 03-10-16

- Lancaster, TX, USA