CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

2015 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 16 of 18)

Apr 172015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at 25 mph and making a left turn, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle failed to accelerate. The contact also mentioned that the air bag warning light illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500. The VIN was not available.

- Melbourne , FL, USA

Apr 022015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Jeep performed a recall on tcm/PCM for the 9 speed transmission. Now at low speeds 2-5mph in an intersection or from a stop sign, or slow down on railroad tracks the car will not move even with the gas pedal to the floor, up to a 5 second delay. We were in an intersection, the light changed and cars were oncoming, after hitting the gas pedal the car just sat there, this has happened multiple times and we were almost hit. Took it back and it was reprogrammed. Still has the same delay, taking it back for the 3rd time. If you do a rolling stop and start out into the intersection the car refuses to move, the engine is running, but no response from the Jeep. We are afraid we will get stuck in an intersection or railroad track and get killed! the Jeep only has 4000 miles on it. If your Jeep is running fine...do not let them reprogram the transmission!!!

- Middletown, OH, USA

Apr 172015

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

1 day after purchasing the vehicle (Jeep Cherokee trailhawk) while turning into traffic, the vehicle shut down and lost all engine and steering and was completely disabled in oncoming traffic. The transmission check engine light, parking brake warning, and loss of 4-wheel drive warnings all came on. The vehicle was completely immobile and highly unsafe to drive. Chrysler/Jeep has advised they don't know exactly what is causing the problem and have offered several fixes, but they can not guarantee any of them will fix the safety issue.

- Marietta, PA, USA

Nov 242014

Cherokee

10nov14 returned the car to the dealer for P56 recall.24nov14 mil turned on while driving w/ 1099 miles. Returned car to a dealer in thousand oaks.tech resets mil & erased codes. 4mar15 mil turned-on again w/ 4375 miles on the car. I was driving it on the freeway then it starts to lunge & skip gear, depressed the acceleration pedal & wouldnt accelerate & was blessed I didnt get into an accident & made it home safe.trans temp reached over 258 deg, doesnt accelerate properly & lunges all the time.everytime the gear is shifted it takes 5 sec to engage & lunges again w/ very loud knocking sound after it engages.error codes showed up on the reader: U1504 intake control module mal, P061B internal control module calculation performnce, U0140 lost comm w/ body cntrl module, P07D9, P10A1 abnormal oil pump volt/ovrheat, & P1daf.I didnt drive the car after that & called up nearest dealer in ventura ca.advisor scheduled an appointment after telling them what happened.16mar15, brought the car to the dealer in ventura to have it inspected w/ the problems that I have provided & left the car w/ 4375 miles.17mar15 advisor informed me that tranny needs to be replace.25mar15 I contacted Jeep chat online & was assigned a case number.1apr15, received the car back w/ a new tranny installed.4apr15 the car started to lunge again slowing down & tries to accelerate by itself.shifting of gear takes 3 sec to engage, lunges & a very loud knocking sound will also be heard again.airbag light came on & error code U0140 showed up again.car was unusable again & wasnt safe to drive.scheduled an appointment again w/ the dealer.6apr15, returned the car to dealer to be inspected w/ problems that I have mentioned w/ 4808 miles.as of today 20apr15, car still in the state of unusable condition & unsafe to be driven.I havent got it back from the dealership repairs.no resolutions have been made yet by Chrysler co.

- Point Mugu, CA, USA

Apr 112015

Cherokee

The vehicle is a 3.2 L engine equipped with stop/start. When I stopped at a traffic light after driving about 45 minutes with no incidents, the stop/start system disabled. While continuing onto the highway the transmission remained in a lower gear and the tachometer was about 4500 at 50mph. It was shifting erratically at this point. Turning the engine off reset it. It drove normally for 5 mins then the same issue occurred. I went to the dealership the following day and found I need the 9 speed transmission replaced.

- Pine Grove, PA, USA

Apr 142015

Cherokee 4-cyl

The service transmission message appeared on the dash information screen. I was on a highway, driving 60 mph. It felt as though the car was slowing down and unresponsive to my attempt to accelerate. Once I exited the highway, the car didn't respond to attempts to accelerate when light turned green. It felt as though it were coasting. I came to a stop and required a tow truck to get the vehicle back to dealership service department. I was later told there would be a likelihood of needing a new transmission. Something with regard to the 8th gear not engaging due to some issue with the solenoid. That issue is what caused the gear to not engage. According to the pre-assessment by the service department. The service advisor indicated this was a failure that Jeep is familiar with. Prior to today, I had experienced a sensation of the vehicle trying to accelerate when the gas peddle wasn't bring depressed. When attempting to decelerate, it would attempt to lunge forward against my attempts to brake.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Apr 092015

Cherokee

After doing the Jeep Cherokee power train recall for the transmission my car would only drive from a flat surface to a hill at 20 mph and then drift slowly down speed wise. After getting to a flat surface I was able to get the car up to a speed of 40 mph and then let off the gas at which time the car started to grab and slow quickly by 10 mph and the rpms went from 4 to 1 and there was a huge bang underneath my car. Took the car to get serviced based on the check engine light saying for a start stop system failure (2nd check engine light for this problem). The dealer told me that the new recall would have to take time on the computer to readapt to driving tendencies of the driver according to Jeep but would be happy to test drive it for me. In a matter of 30 minutes I was given a call that I had a transmission failure and needed a new transmission. I was given a rental no other information and sent on my way. I think to only have 2600 miles on a 2015 Jeep Cherokee that I bought in November is a shame and Jeep and Chrysler should be ashamed. Talking about a $30,000 car to have to have a new transmission installed at only 2600 miles makes me worried when my bumper to number expires what could I have to replace to keep it on the road.

- West Mifflin, PA, USA

Feb 262015

Cherokee 6-cyl

My Cherokee has been having transmission problems since I bought it in November. At first I was told that it was just the transmission learning how to shift but then it kept shifting rougher and rougher. I brought it in when I got the oil changed, expressed my concerns, they did the recall, the problem wasn't fixed. Then they re-calibrated it and that didn't fix the problem. Next they replaced the entire transmission, unfortunately I'm having the same issues. The car now has 8,800 miles and it still doesn't run right. I spent 30 thousand on a vehicle and I have spent week after week back and forth to the dealership. I also have filed a lemon law claim but as usual Chrysler is slow to respond. This transmission should never have been released. It's now at the point where the vehicle jerks severely sometimes when it shifts.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Apr 072015

Cherokee

Took vehicle in for, quoted from notice, " fca us spokeswoman said the transmission software reflash is "intended to keep the vehicle performing as intended, and to prevent durability issues from occurring in the future." I scheduled this for the next week when I got this notice in the mail. Reflash did not take until second try I was told and everything checked out ok. Left dealership, got a mile down the road and rpms shot up, started loosing acceleration and check engine light came on. Im trying to keep from getting in a accident while making first available U turn to limp back to dealer. They hook evaluation programming up and come back and tell me my transmission needs to be replaced. The "trip codes" should have gone off when they were done but did not. It hung on long enough for me to get on the road with it.

- Kingsland, GA, USA

Apr 032015

Cherokee 6-cyl

I bought my 2015 Cherokee limited in December 2014. It has a very rough ride with jerking movements as it shifts gears.(or attempts to shift gears).as you are braking the vehicle accelerates which has almost caused me to rear end the vehicle in front of me many times. I had to learn how to drive to anticipate this inefficient and dangerous SUV. As I was accelerating on the highway to pass, the car just paused without any acceleration and then jerked and kicked in. I never know what this vehicle will do and it is painful to drive with this new transmission that turns off after braking and then sluggishly accelerates. I have taken the vehicle in for the software update on April 3, 2015 and told that I need a new transmission. I am in the process of waiting now. This transmission is unsafe and dangerous and Jeep needs to take responsibility now before more incidents and casualties exist.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 032015

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

I had recently bought a brand new 2015 Jeep Cherokee and immediately started noticing transmission problems. It shifts very hard and it jerks very hard. It also seems to have problems shifting while going up hills and problems down shifting. Took it to the dealer yesterday they did a software update but it didn't seem to help.

- Swift Current, CA, USA

Mar 242015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Transmission shifts unexpectedly. Front end wobble in low gears, shift into drive and goes into reverse, all around junk.

- Rhinelander, WI, USA

Mar 202015

Cherokee

I had just descended in center city heavily congested traffic from the entrance pass. About a 2000 foot decent. I was entering a traffic circle and slowed for traffic, pushing down on the brake pedal, it kicked back at me with substantial force. The pedal the went to the floor board. I had no brakes, and drove into the curb to stop the car. The Jeep has no emergency brake system only an electronic park brake. I found the same problem 2 months before ( at 1200 miles) when the transmission overheated and shut down all power, and left me with no steering or brakes on a narrow mountain road, and almost go me killed.( diagnosed by repairing dealer as a "defectively manufactured transmission" and replaced it). I had Jeep towed to nearest dealer. He could do nothing for that day. Called, next day, he said the problem was a "defective power brake booster", maybe have the part and repair done in a week. Second time hotel and cab home ( now at $800) on me. Big too bad, nothing we can do from Chrysler. The repairing dealer returned the Jeep on 27th. Selling dealer called to say all was perfect.picked up and drove 50 miles the transmission began to howl like a banchee. Dealer diagnosed problem as a " defective transmission mount". same dealer just replace the transmission 2 months ago. Still waiting for car to be repaired and returned. The 2015 Jeep Cherokee is a dangerous and life threatening engineered vehicle. Chrysler can not have any form of quality control, if 3 major components fail within 2600 miles as "defectively manufactured". the zf 9 speed transmission is a disaster and causing problems everywhere. The Chrysler corporation and dealer network is corrupt, non trustworthy, untruthfully, and noncareing from the top down. I would never recommend or buy anything from Chrysler again and would give most anything to get my money back.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jan 022015

Cherokee

200 miles from home, I was ascending an approximately 8 mile, 2 lane,15 degree hill. At about 5 miles up the hill I tried to pass a double semi proceeding up hill at less then 10 mph. I pushed down on the gas, and got half the way around the truck, and the engine shut down, leaving me on the wrong side of the road without power steering or brakes. I had no place to go, and I could now see oncoming traffic coming directly at me. With the gear lever in drive, there is no emergency or parking brake, as it is electronic, and with the car moving, you cannot access the park position. I was standing on the brakes, but getting almost no reaction. Finally, I got behind the truck, I stood on the brakes and got as far right as possible, and got the car to stop. When I looked down at the dash, a warning message informed me that the transmission had overheated. This apparently is what triggered the engine to shut down. Incredibly dangerous and stupid engineering. Kill the occupants, save the transmission. I was blocking the right lane but had to sit there for 30 minutes until the transmission came back to operating temp. Started the car and proceeded up hill. No possible place to turn around. Within 5 minutes, the transmission temp. Was getting critically hot, found a pull off and called roadside assistance. At dealer 5 hours later. They said they could fix car by recalibrating the computer control to transmission. They did the work the next day. The transmission overheated again within 5 miles of a test ride. The dealer ship closed at 2 pm and left me standing there. Cost over $600 for hotel and taxi ride home. The selling dealer trucked the Jeep back to the dealership for repair. Diagnosed the problem, as a defectively manufactured transmission and agreed to replace the transmission. A month later, I got the car back. This is a very dangerous car.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Mar 232015

Cherokee

While decelerating in drive with the foot off the gas, or under light gradual braking, when the automatic transmission downshifts as the car slows between 25 and 20 mph, engine speed increases in the lower gear and the car accelerates slightly.this acceleration, with the foot off the gas and when one expects the car to be slowing down, though relatively mild, is nonetheless disconcerting and perhaps potentially dangerous. An appointment was made with the dealer for March 30 2015. Coincidentally, between the time the appointment was made and before the appointment, the customer received a mailed recall notice from Jeep regarding an upgrade to software for the nine-speed automatic transmission. On March 30 the dealer attempted the software upgrade and reported that when they test drove it, the transmission then would not function properly, and the car would only operate in "limp" mode. The customer was given a rental car. The next day, on March 31, 2015 the dealer notified the customer that consultation with Jeep and further diagnostics indicated two locking rings had broken or malfunctioned inside the transmission, and they were installing a new transmission. The customer also received a recorded message telephone call from Jeep on March 31, asking the customer to bring the car in for a transmission software upgrade. The new transmission is being installed.

- Rensselaer, NY, USA

Mar 302015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I have experienced violent crashing noises/feelings under certain conditions while driving my V6 Cherokee trailhawk. I first experienced it at around 1000 miles, then again this morning when I was able to repeat it. I got a violent crash and lurch, when I accelerated, let off, accelerated again, let off, and apply normal throttle to maintain speed. This can be a common occurrence, turning into traffic or maneuvering around other vehicles. I was able to repeat it over and over again, by simply doing a hard acceleration from stop, letting off the gas, and then hard acceleration again, and then applying normal throttle input. Rpms go wild, sometimes get up to 6000, and it smashes into 4th gear. It's startling and I have minimal control over vehicle speed while it's doing this. I also get rough shifts and overall I'm very uneasy about the reliability of this car.

- Plano, TX, USA

Feb 282015

Cherokee

Purchased new 2015 Cherokee trailhawk, late November 2014. In February, per Chrysler, dealer reprogrammed module in transmission, had my vehicle a full day (8 hours ) in order to perform this service. After that, transmission started acting up, hard shifting at low speeds, slipping, would catch and spin the tires, doesn't seem to downshift at appropriate speeds, even rolled backwards on a slight incline when in drive. Took back for service, supposedly reprogrammed again 2 times, but said they couldn't do anything else as no "codes" had come up. That was 5 more hours in shop. Nothing changed, took truck back in on 3/19/2015. This time they kept my truck for 3 days, filed a claim with Chrysler, who supposedly told them to grease the electrical fittings on the transmission, saying that would fix the problem. Obviously more than that, or truck wouldn't have been there that long. Drove truck away only to have the same problems all over again. Now what to do? did research only to find out Chrysler has had and continues to have nothing but problems with this transmission since its inception in 2013. Something needs to be done about this, as of now I don't know what to do, or course of action to take. It obviously doesn't do any good to take in for service, as nothing changes, not to mention the time and trouble it takes ( they have had my vehicle for at least 37 working hours now ) it appears that Chrysler intends to do nothing to fix the problem, and that is not right! it's a shame to have a new vehicle with 7000 miles on it that drives as if it was 10 years old. The government needs to look into this matter and hold Chrysler accountable for this defect.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 092015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The transmission which is 9 speed/automatic (6 cylinder) feels like it grinds to change and it jerks quickly when it does. The RPM's also go very high as to suggest the gears are sticking, not shifting. I drive only 9 miles each way to work and I am totally frustrated by the time I get there. The car has only 1400 miles. Please, help.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 072014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Started the car and several warning lights were on check transmission, service parking brake called the dealer & were told it was safe to drive as long as the lights were not blinking.lights were not blinking drove toward the closest dealer (we were on vacation) we were told by the dealer the car may reset itself and after a few minutes of driving lights went out #2incident - Jan 7, 2015 stopped at a light and check transmission, service parking brake came on again, RPM 's were high but the car would accelerate slowly called the dealer and drove it in. Two days later will driving the car warning lights come on the car cuts out on me it has power but the car will not accelerate. Coasted to the side of the road. Turned the car off and on the lights were still on the car was able to accelerate. Pulled into a parking lot. After an hour I started the car, the check engine light was on so I proceeded home. At a light the car lunged forward ( I had my foot on the brake) the car would not accelerate. After turning the car off and then on the car still had it warning lights on the RPM's were high and the car would not accelerate properly. I was told there were program errors and the car was fixed. March 17 the car starts making a humming sound. March 18 on the way to the dealer I stopped at in intersection started to accelerate and all the lights came on and the car just cut out on me. I was stranded in an intersection. Called the dealer who told me to turn it off then on, which I did the car moved slightly RPM's were high, car was not accelerating properly. The car violently jerked when I engaged into park or drive..I was able to drive to the side of the road. Car is at the dealer and has been there for 8 days. I feel the car is unsafe to drive and I am frightened for my safety and my family.under Ohio law it has met the standards of the lemon law.

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Mar 242015

Cherokee 4-cyl

My 2015, brand new Jeep has been acting sluggish, with a delay in shifting, poor highway pickup for a few weeks. My 17 year old daughter drove it a long distance and complained of similar issues. While driving to meet a friend the car began to loose power on the highway, there was no response when I stepped on the gas. I managed to coast to an exit ramp where I was unable to drive the car. The engine was running but would not move. I had the car towed to the nearest dealer and it has been 3 days and they still cannot diagnosis the problem other than saying it is transmission related. They ran the software update but still experience the same problem. This is an extremely dangerous and I was fortunate to be in a safe area, during the day when this occurred.

- West Hartford, CT, USA