CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

2015 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 18)

Oct 162016

Cherokee

The shifter is faulty. If I'm at a stop sign I never know if my Jeep is going to stall or if it's going to thrust me into traffic. I was inches away from being hit by a semi because of this. I took it to the dealership I bought it at and they said they didn't see any problem at all and sent me on my way. Now randomly my Jeep will stall from park to drive for a solid 5 to 10 seconds and after in first gear I have to almost floor it to get it to accelerate. I literally went up to 5000 rpms before my Jeep would even start to accelerate, let alone switch from 1st gear to second.

- Metropolis, IL, USA

Oct 082016

Cherokee

My 2015 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk has has transmission problems since the day I bought it. It has suffered from very hard shifts which slam and jerk into gear. Mostly from 1st to 4th gears. The slamming is so hard it actually jerks the vehicle and is quite alarming. The next major problem with the transmission is that it randomly feels like as if "the clutch is slipping". I'll try to accelerate and it often takes a second or two before the transmission "catches" and the car will accelerate. It reminds me of a clutch slipping on an old stick shift. It'll slip and when it does finally catch it'll spin the tires, similar to "popping the clutch" in a stick shift. This is very dangerous specially when trying to pull out in busy traffic. You never know if it's gonna accelerate properly or if it's gonna slip and take a couple seconds to catch. I have had my Jeep in the dealership multiple times for these issues and so far all they've done is software updates, which hasn't solved either problem. I have detailed these problems very specifically and I've been told each time that these software updates would fix the problems. However, these problems are still occurring. I drive with my wife and two year old daughter in my car and I fear that someday my Jeep will fail to accelerate properly and will cause an accident.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Oct 072016

Cherokee

I have to complain of the emergency brake coming on by itself, its when I'm backing up and in motion, this has happened at least 7 times in the 15 months I have owned this car, second complaint is when I accelerate, the car just sits there for several seconds, I'm trying to make a left or right turn, on a highway, I feel this is dangerous in both cases.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Sep 132016

Cherokee

Chrysler recall S55 NHTSA campaign # 16V-529 transmission unexpectedly shifted into neutral causing a loss of motive power which caused a 4 car crash.

- Natick, MA, USA

Oct 112016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Ray Town, MO, USA

Aug 222016

Cherokee

While driving, engine stops, lost power all power. Driving on road in traffic. This occured 3 different times.

- Toughkenamon, PA, USA

Oct 052016

Cherokee

The transmission is not working when the vehicle is shifted into drive, reverse, no power sent to the wheels only revs up. The vehicle also makes a grinding noise when the vehicle is placed into park and check engine light is on. An indicator states on the dash states get transmission serviced. Stalled out on my way home from work had to push it about a block. Calling the dealer today.

- Rutherford, NJ, USA

Sep 202016

Cherokee

Nine speed automatic transmission. This is a safety issue. The transmission in the lower range of gears searches for the proper speed gear and when it finds one, it jumps into gear causing the vehicle to lurch and at times causes the vehicle to over accelerate. At higher speeds, the transmission will drop into a gear with a heavy thump which shakes the whole vehicle. The really serious problem is with the transmission when using cruise control. Just last week, I had the cruise control set at 55 mph and when on a downhill portion of roadway, the transmission suddenly went into a higher gear and the vehicle began a rapid acceleration. Before I could hit the brake to disengage the cruise control, the vehicle was traveling at well over 60mph. I have had the vehicle in four times to the dealer and they only do computer updates and can find nothing wrong with the transmission. When I call Jeep to complain, they send me back to the same dealer and nothing gets done. I think that this is a great safety issue and I feel that this vehicle will get me killed. I am a retired police officer who has driven hundreds of thousands of miles in a wide variety of vehicles having automatic transmissions and this is by far and away the worst one I have even used. Final note, the computer updates installed by the dealer has not improved the transmission and has decreased my overall gas mileage by 2 mpg. Kind of throws off the epa estimates, doesn't it.

- Green Valley, AZ, USA

Nov 212015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle began to violently shake. The dealer diagnosed that the brakes and rotors failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, on another occasion, the vehicle failed to shift properly and shifted roughly without warning. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. After coming to a stop, the vehicle independently shut off. The contact mentioned that the push to start failed to restart the vehicle and the instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the fuel saving feature was enabled and the push to start feature needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 400.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Sep 242016

Cherokee

While driving the transmission shifts unexpectedly and hard when accelerating and decelerating. It shifted so hard the other day that I though someone had hit me! the shifting at slow speeds and stop and go traffic is also rough causing jolts and rough handling. I feel unsafe driving this SUV, but do not have any other mode of transportation. Additionally, while traveling at 55-60 mph with cruise control on or off, the transmission does not leave 6th gear. It's a 9 speed transmission and despite trying different speeds it does not use anything beyond 6th gear.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

May 152015

Cherokee

At times, the transmission would shift so hard that it felt like I had been hit from the rear. They had an alert about a computer problem. As I drove home, it did it again. I took it to a different dealer to see if they would have any luck. It seemed to fix the problem for a while. The hard shifting incidents were greatly reduced. Then while driving home from highland, I noticed some hesitation in the shifting. A few blocks from my house, the engine light turned on and an alert to service the transmission came on. Just before I pulled on to my street I felt and heard three loud bangs that again made the car jerk like it had been hit from the rear. As I took off from a stop, it felt like the transmission was slipping. It just wouldn┐T go. I pulled into the driveway and when I got out of the car, I noticed an odor like burnt oil. I called royal gate and was told to bring it in. Trip number 4 for the transmission. No problems on the way there. A week later, I got my car back. Again, I was told that it was a computer problem. I got home and when I was backing into the driveway, I heard and felt another bang. I called royal gate again. I was told that they are having problems with the nine speed transmission. Then while on my way back from an appointment, there was more slipping. On 10-01-16, I picked up my car for the sixth time. They couldn┐T find anything wrong with it. I asked to speak with the store manager. While waiting, one of the sales people asked me what I needed. I told him that I was picking up my Jeep Cherokee for the sixth time. He laughed and said, ┐transmission?┐ the manager was too busy to talk to me. He was in the middle of a deal. The last time that I brought the car in, two of the service people witnessed all of the problems that I brought it in for. Now all of a sudden, no one can find the problem.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Aug 272015

Cherokee

Five times, transmission had shifted into neutral at an intersection, emergency brake goes on, dashboard lights up and last time had to have it towed to dealership. Jeep finally recalled it in August, but have no parts available to fix it.

- Edinboro, PA, USA

Sep 022016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Sep 162016

Cherokee

Transmission problems for almost a year now, truck violently jerks forward on acceleration mostly from a dead stop but sometimes in motion and on deceleration has almost caused many front and rear accidents. Recently on my way home from New Jersey the check engine light came on indicating service transmission the vehicle lost power while I was on the parkway almost caused an accident. I pulled over and turned off the vehicle then restarted the check engine light was still on, but I regained power to drive. That lasted a minute or two then the same thing happened. Truck lost power was in a fail safe mode barely drove above 30 or 40mph. What a long, unsafe trip home to say the least. I've had nothing but problems with this truck and have numerous complaints and repairs at the dealership. Now it's apart of this recall and no parts are available. The dealership says this problem is the recall, but they can't fix it yet. I've been without my truck for almost 2 weeks this is awful and I'm frustrated and fed-up with this vehicle. I want out of this lease asap. And ps they put me in a Dodge dart loaner care are you kidding me I drive a truck for a reason!

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Aug 222016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train). However, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Hartland, VT, USA

Sep 222016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While driving, the vehicle decelerated independently. The accelerator pedal was depressed; however, the vehicle failed to respond and the battery warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but the contact was unaware of the diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Sep 222016

Cherokee

I was driving home from work 9/20/2016. My service transmission light came on and I lost power in my gas pedal. Would not go. I pulled over and put it in park. Put it back in drive and it was fine for a few more miles then did it again. I drove it straight to the mechanic. The computer said it was the throttle control module. He reset it and updated it. I got it back last night. I was driving to work today nad it was fine until I got on the interstate and it did it again, light came on and my car immediately slowed down. This is not safe at all. I have read many many complaints about this issue and I believe Jeep should be responsible for this. I will be trading this vehicle as soon as possible

- Pine Grove, WV, USA

Sep 172016

Cherokee

2 problems. First. The following malfunction later caused an accident, detailed below. When driving on the highway, the cruise control would disengage, speed would drop and the steering wheel would jerk violently side to side for a moment, startling us and possibly forcing us into another lane. We thought the jerking may be due to strong winds but wanted to get the cruise control checked. This happened a couple more times in the 2H 30M drive before ultimately ending in an accident. That same trip, nearing our destination, while turning left on a single-lane off-ramp connecting the current highway to a perpendicular highway, it happened again. Unlike the previous instances where there were no obstacles around, this time our car violently ricochet against both sides of guard rails. Visually, the body was barely damaged but the tires and the inner assembly were too damaged to drive. Second. These symptoms precede the one written of above that caused the accident. When coming close to stopping, the car would jerk forward. When accelerating from zero, the car would pause and suddenly jerk forward.a

- Moses Lake, WA, USA

Sep 252015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the transmission failed and re-engaged. The check engine indicator illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle lunged forward. The air bag warning indicator illuminated intermittently on the instrument panel. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 11,000. The VIN was not available.

- Williamsport, PA, USA

Sep 182016

Cherokee

I was driving down the freeway when my service transmission came on and my vehicle instantly lost power and started jerking and grinding. Due to being on the freeway I almost got into a wreck with both of my kids in the car. I am not happy with this due to the dealer not having any parts available to fix it. I drive 40 mins to work and back and I now do not have a safe car to drive. Very disappointed wih this car and I want something done asap. I will not be associated with Jeep anymore. If something would of happened today I would definitely file a lawsuit.

- Hanford, CA, USA