CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

2015 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 5 of 18)

Jun 292016

Cherokee

Jeep is unsafe to drive and gets worse and worse. Jumps and shifts erratically, RPM's spike when coming to stop causing vehicle to jump and lunge forward, has almost caused several accidents already. Starting to slowly move forward after a rolling stop front tires barked and squealed as vehicle was taken off. Family feels unsafe driving this vehicle with 14,000 miles and has occurred since 1500. Has happened at least 40 times however date below only allows me to choose one..

- Lexington, NC, USA

Jun 272016

Cherokee

Last summer, I was in the dealership for the second time regarding what seems to be a transmission problem. The first time was a couple of months prior when the emergency lights came on my dash regarding, engine, transmission, etc¿ after three attempts, of turning off/on my car, I was able to finally put my car into gear and go. I brought the car in and they performed an upgrade to the computer system which seemed to fix the problem. The second time I experienced any issues with my car was last week when I was driving on the highway going about 30 mph when I accelerated to pass another driver and my car just revved¿there was no acceleration when I pressed on the gas. As you could imagine, I was really shocked by this. In addition to these incidents, the car will ¿jump¿ into gear¿.more often when I put my car in reverse. I have had several issues with the transmission on this vehicle. Starting with the lights and alerts coming on...while in park, preventing me to start the vehicle, all the way up to driving 70 mph and having the alarms go off regarding check transmission issues and service transmissions. Each time when the car was in motion, I would pull over and the transmission would not engage, eventually, when I would turn off the car and restart it, it would work without a problem....until the next time. Quite often, I would accelerate only to stand still and hear the engine revving. These recurring transmission issues are making it difficult for me to be a devoted Jeep customer as I no longer feel safe in this vehicle!

- Durham, NC, USA

Jun 242016

Cherokee

2015 Jeep Cherokee transmission failed to provide forward motion after initial acceleration during left hand turns with oncoming traffic, resulting in near collision on multiple occasions (11). The condition presents on any/all road types and conditions when turning left and occasionally when progressing straight from a stopped position. Oncoming vehicles have had to stop to avoid a head on collision. Dealer has been made aware of defect and the vehicle has been in for reprogramming on two occasions without proper repair. Current mileage is 22,147 miles

- Wauseon, OH, USA

Jun 172016

Cherokee

Car does not take off when going from reverse to drive. The car stays stationary for about 1-2 secs eventhough the gas pedal is depressed. It is as if the transmission is stuck and will not move.

- Manchester, MI, USA

Jun 082016

Cherokee

I purchased my Jeep at garden city Jeep on 06/06/16 & the vehicle test drove fine (for the 10 minutes I got to drive the vehicle). Upon owning it for a few days I noticed that there was a wobble in the front end when traveling between 0-20mph specifically when the vehicle shifted between 1st & 2nd gear when going both straight or making a right turn. I also noticed very poor transmission shifting primarily at low speeds, in stop & go traffic, in parking lot (traveling slow), when reversing, & even when traveling at moderate speeds (30-60mph) when the vehicle would shift up & down between 4th, 5th, & 6th. The trans would jerk, tug, & clunk into gear sometimes more noticeable then others. I took the car to the dealer & the wobble was fixed. In addition the dealer flashed the software on my trans & for the first day it felt considerably better however after driving it for 2 weeks the trans felt very sluggish again. The car now jerks between 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear again primarily at low speeds or during gentle accleration...it also seems to feel very sluggish in 4th & 5th gear when the car is coasting around 30-55mph...any acceleration after letting the car coast causes the trans to jerk into gear. Almost 100% of the time now when I am waiting at a red light, or am stopped on the road for any reason, & then need to accelerate unless I accelerate very aggressively the car feels as if it is shifting 3 to 5 times however the car is only in 2nd or 3rd gear. It almost seems as if it is shifting up, up, down, up all over the course of 1-2 seconds. Sometimes this can be violent enough to jerk my head forward & back. Separately, upon deceleration the rpms will spike 500-1000 rpms when letting it coast & downshift on its own & the car will actually speed up on its own. Separately, when accelerating after coasting the trans lags and I receive no power until 1-2 seconds either.

- Copiague, NY, USA

Jun 012016

Cherokee

Transmission has failed twice in less than 100 miles. We are on our thrid transmission

- Mclean, VA, USA

May 042016

Cherokee

The rough shifting in low gears is an annoyance the trans disengaging in an accelerated left turn was a near miss crash. It's happened twice now and I've determined the conditions under which it happens. In both cases the conditions have been the same. Conditions: I live in a city with heavy traffic. Travel on a two lane road to my home and it is at a crawling pace. I have to turn left into sub. There is opposing traffic & limited openings to turn. You have to "hit it" to make your left turn between the opposing traffic cars (no stop light). When you hit it, the engine revs in that low gear and you are now into the opposing lane and you have seconds where you seem like you're just floating (no transmission engaged) through that lane. The opposing car is still coming at you. The trans finally jerks and engages and you squeal your tires to quickly get out of the way and not get hit. It's close enough that the opposing car beeps it's horn at you. It's bad, when you don't trust your vehicle (only 1 year old) to another person. I worry for their safety! I'm dissatisfied with the vehicle only because of the transmission. If I had my way, I'd be giving it back to the dealership.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Jun 222016

Cherokee

Since the date of delivery - on a daily basis, when in low gears, stop and go city driving, the transmission slips, jumps, jerks, and will often bog down. Acceleration is extremely jerky when taking off from a light or turning a corner. The vehicle has had at least three computer updates to resolve the issue with only extremely slight to no improvement. On several occasions I have not been able to move the vehicle safely out of the way of danger as quickly and reliably as I should have been, only narrowly avoiding an accident.

- Hazel Park, MI, USA

Jun 202016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 30 mph, the check engine and battery warning lights illuminated. In addition, the ¿place the vehicle in park position¿ warning message displayed. The vehicle was placed into the park position and another error message illuminated stating ¿place the vehicle in the desired gear¿. the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after several attempts and the brake pedal was difficult to depress. The failure was intermittent. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 022016

Cherokee

When taking off from a complete stop the Jeep hesitates or has no power to wheels for 5- 10 seconds at a time. When pulling out into an intersection we have almost been hit numerous times because the vehicle will not move. The engine revs up but no power to the wheels. And once it does start to move it takes off and gives you whiplash. We have also experienced our transmission getting locked into an unknown gear and not shifting up or down. Both of these instances have happened on highways and in city driving. Our dealer replaced a relay the first time our ck engine light came on. The second time they replaced a tcm and flashed our computer and installed 5 software upgrades. The third time our ck engine light came on which was last week, they are now replacing our transmission. There is obvious no fix for this transmission issue and it's unbelievable that Jeep would allow this well known safety issue to continue. This transmission is going to get someone hurt or killed. No doubt in my mind. When you pull out into an intersection and hit the accelerator and nothing happens and there's a tractor trailer headed straight for you, I'd like to know what Jeep recommends you do?

- Troutville, VA, USA

Apr 292016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. After the vehicle was parked, it independently rolled back without warning and was pinned between the garage door and rear of the vehicle. The contact sustained bruises, but did not require medical attention. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train) after the failure was experienced. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for investigation. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 11,700.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

May 222016

Cherokee

1. delay in finding gear when accelerating on a downslope cause a sudden bucking of the vehicle into far lane of traffic. 2. sudden downshift on highway caused rapid deceleration in high speed traffic. 3. jerky shifting between gears continuously.

- Cornelius, NC, USA

May 032016

Cherokee

The problem is in the transmission, when sitting at a stop light for instant, you had better keep your foot on the brake, it will sometimes try to lurch forward, also just sitting at a light you will hear a very loud clunk, like it just down-shifted, these transmissions are junk.

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Jun 042016

Cherokee

On 06/04/16, at 12,600 miles, the Jeep failed completely on the freeway. We were driving 50 mph in heavy southern ca traffic when the ¿transmission service required¿ light and the red check engine light flashed on and we lost all power. This happened instantly and without any warning. We had to throw on the hazard lights and Dodge oncoming traffic to move over 3 lanes to exit the freeway at less than 5 mph. This was a terrifying experience and we are lucky the Jeep did not cause a major accident! the tustin Jeep dealership did a software update and said it was fine. Fca has remained adamant that the problem is not mechanical, but software related and have released 3 software patches to date but we see no improvement. One week later on 06/13/16 the transmission was still functioning poorly (hard shifts, up shifting as you apply the break downhill, etc.) and then we had another problem. The alarm went off without warning and would not shut off, even when the Jeep's engine was turned on. Only after several minutes and pushing every button on the key multiple times did it finally stop. We took it to placentia Jeep and they looked into the transmission and alarm. After having our Jeep for a week, they did yet another software update for the transmission and disconnected the gps. They explained that the gps that was installed at the dealer after the fact was interfering with the factory installed alarm, and that caused the alarm to go off at random. This is a big problem because we were charged $1295 extra for that feature and it is now disconnected. The dealer also found that the battery power was below half, and they felt that the radio was pulling from the battery even when the Jeep is turned off. They found no resolution for this problem and asked us to return after a week or two to reassess the problems.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Jun 202016

Cherokee

The transmission has very erratic behavior. When trying to accelerate quickly, like when you are trying to get onto a busy road from a side street or trying to get onto the freeway, the engine revs very high, like the transmission is out of gear. After a second or two you can feel a troubling clunk as it finds a gear and lunges forward. I've almost gotten in a few accidents because of this. It doesn't respond to me pressing the accelerator then it violently shifts into gear and lunges forward. I have also had this experience when trying to shift into drive after reversing our of my driveway. I've complained to the dealer a couple of times. They have supposedly updated the software, but I do not feel a difference. The dealer likes to claim that it's a "feature" of the adaptive transmission trying to anticipate what I want it to do. I'd rather it just respond to what I'm doing.

- Corrales, NM, USA

Jun 172016

Cherokee

The transmission shifts back and forth wildly and goes back and fourth in 2-3 gear very violently. They have attempted to fix this with computer updates but it keeps coming back about every 4-6 months and we have to go back and have them reset the computer.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 022015

Cherokee

The vehicles transmission shifts very rough, especially around 19 to 23 mph. When slowly accelerating from a complete stop on a flat surface the vehicle hesitates for a second before moving then jerks. When the vehicle is on an incline at a complete stop this hesitation is longer and the jerk greater when accelerating. Accelerating while the vehicle is moving slowly about 1-2 mph causes hesitation and a jerk. The dealership has updated the software on 3 or 4 occasions trying to correct the problem. The dealership tells me this is the nature of the transmission and there is nothing more they can do at this time.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 012015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. After shifting gears, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the check engine warning light illuminated. In order for the vehicle to resume normal operation, it had to be shifted into park, turned off, and restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission warning harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the vehicle was deemed unsafe to drive. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 10,000.....updated 08/08/16

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Apr 222015

Cherokee

Shortly after buying my 2015 Jeep Cherokee sport with the 2.4 engine and 9 speed automatic, it began shifting erratically. In town it would hesitate when leaving a stop light or jerk violently while changing gears. On the highway, it would not downshift on inclines or to pass and merge with traffic. I had several close calls where I had to accelerate but nothing happened when putting the pedal to the floor. This has been in the shop four times just for this problem alone and as of this writing, is still not any better. It has also had other problems with the thermostat and interior. I work in the automotive industry and know from resources that this is a simple fix. Fca is giving thousands of people the runaround and angering dealerships by not being honest. The 4 cylinder engine will no longer meet the reported mpg it was claimed to after the shift profiles change and this puts fca in a position that Volkswagen recently dealt with. My safety and the safety of thousands is not worth 3 mpg. Fca is also treating customers as if each case is individually unique and it belittles them as well as the mechanics that know repairs are futile. I have a case number now and another appointment but it would be best to avoid this vehicle at all costs and arbitrate. There should be a federal investigation before someone dies if they haven't already. The thermostat failure is also widespread and is only being addresses one at a time in field claims. This too could lead to serious damage and even fire which has also happened to a few of these vehicles. Please help us be a voice and stop this serious disregard for safety and consumer rights.

- Morristown, TN, USA

May 162016

Cherokee

Third time same issue. 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While vehicle in motion service transmission, service park brake, malfunction indicator light, D(drive) flashing on dashboard, barely made it up a hill, had to press accelerator all the way to floor. Very dangerous-other vehicles do not know what is happening. Occured 2 times in 2weeks after software updated. Not many regrets in my life but buying this vehicle tops the list.

- West Henrietta, NY, USA