Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

2015 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 7 of 17)

Oct 232014

Transmission is faulty. Numerous difficult shifting issues, particularly after stopping and restarting. The vehicle has been taken back at least three times for reprogramming but the condition still exists.

- Mcmurray, PA, USA

Dec 222015

When an operator slows down to 5mph to a yield sign or uncontrolled intersection, and then attempts to accelerate the Jeep sticks in a higher gear such as 3rd gear or 4th and keeps at a constant 5mph speed as it enters an intersection. The operator notices this issue and presses the accelerator pedal harder to avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic. After a few seconds with the accelerator pedal pressed to the floor the Jeep finally downshifts to 1st gear, squeals the tires and accelerates hard throwing the operator and occupants into the seat in a whiplash fashion. This all happens if the operator is not struck by an oncoming vehicle. Operators this particular Jeep Cherokee are use to other vehicles that accelerates normally under this condition. The Jeep has been into the local Jeep dealership 4 times and they state "the Jeep is acting as designed". a Jeep care number has been assigned to the issue but nothing has been done to this date.

- Hudson, WI, USA

Dec 212015

Vehicle has rolling stop condition (description given by Jeep technician) which occurs between 1 and 3mph. Vehicle comes to a rolling stop, transmission will stay in third gear and hold third gear. When the throttle pedal is depressed to complete a turn the vehicle will not move forward. Then suddenly a violent transmission kick down occurs causing the car to downshift in to first gear causing the Jeep to lunge forward and squeal the tires. Dealership claims second gear has been eliminated in the software update causing this to happen. My Jeep has been at the dealership four times. Chrysler is now involved because crossing intersections while turning below four mph is unsafe and unpredictable when driving. When there are passengers in the car (extra weight) or a incline the condition is even worse. It seems everything happened after first software update was done. My Jeep had no issues of any kind before this.

- Round Lake, IL, USA

Dec 102015

My 2015 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk has 5000 miles on it and the transmission shifts really hard and at times on take off it stalls really bad, almost got me hit because the transmission was not shifting and performimg like it should. This problem has been happening very often. Im afraid one day its gonna get me killed or injured.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Sep 282015

Vehicle lunges and or jerks forward nearing and or at a complete stop. It happens the majority of driving time and has been in the Jeep dealership 3 times.

- Munster, IN, USA

Dec 112015

My Jeep Cherokee I4 lattitude fwd will not shift down through 3rd-2nd-1st. This results in a constant "lunging of the vehicle" (due to vehicle torque when going 5mph in 3rd) when slowing down to park or when in stop and go traffic and coming to a stop behind a vehicle (causing a near collision) the sheer mass of the vehicle remaining in 3rd gear at 5mph results in many unnerving incidents that would be avoided if the vehicle geared down. It is beyond obvious that Chrysler/ Jeep has corrected this issue in 2016 vehicles with the same powertrain but appears to leave a large number of product build with the issue from the 2014-2015 period. Chrysler actually may have designed a software update (R01) under the guise of resolving "durability issues" and injected this particular safety issue into vehicles. They now appear to have no interest in actually fixing the root problem. Will NHTSA wait until some child is hit in a driveway due to one of these "lunges"?

- Marysville, OH, USA

Aug 062015

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that when the accelerator pedal was engaged, the vehicle failed to accelerate and jerked forward without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module needed to be updated. The vehicle was repaired three times but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 11,000.

- Senoia, GA, USA

Oct 012015

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the rear windshield shattered without warning. The contact stated that there were two holes near the heat sensor. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle jerked forward without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V393000 (structure). The failure mileage was approximately 10.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Dec 042015

Had three months with my car, started showing the check engine light periodically, I didn´T take much importance, then I receive a recall from the dealer, they fix the unknown problem, then five months later I park on the pending street and trying to drive back, the shifter wasn´T moving at all, after a few minutes strangling with the shifter the car finally work, after that the check engine light was on for a day, this happened again continuously. This check engine light on, happens a lot. Today 12-04-2015, a tragedy happened to me, when I park my car on a climb street, I put the shifter on park, turn off the car, took my key, I get out of the car, close the door, when I was about to set up the alarm I notice by reflection that something was moving, and that was my car, passing by next to me and crashing into a concrete wall, almost run me down, ¿again the car was off and I had the key in my hand¿. how is this possible"?" if my car has an automatic transmission. I don¿T feel safe anymore, owing this car, putting my life and others in risk, I don¿T this is fair, when you´re investing your money for security, I need a response or solution for this problem a.S.a.P. thanks. Alan cuevas hernandez.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Dec 022015

Vehicle hesitates for a few seconds to go forward when I press on gas..then it lunges forward..very dangerous..especially when turning left in traffic..I took it to the dealer and told them about this and I am afraid this car is going to get me killed doing this. They checked codes and could not find anything wrong. This happens dailey whenever I'm driving it.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Nov 022015

While driving in a shopping center filled with pedestrians and vehicles..the vehicle lunged forward..I was at 1 mph or less..this has happened son was in the vehicle with me at the time and ask me what I was doing..I told him that I didn't accelerate the did it on its own..this scared me as well as him. I have taken the car the the dealership several times to have the transmission checked..and they say there are no codes and cant find anything wrong.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Jun 292015

Purchased Jeep and have had safety issues with inconsistent shifting since day one. I have returned to the dealer 19 times for shifting issues and other complaints. At the present time I continue to have a "service shifter" light come on in the vehicle. The light comes on while the vehicle is in motion. You can try to reset the shifter to let the computer try to recognize the error, but it doesn't work. Technicians have told me not to drive with the light on as the car may shift in a different gear or even reverse. Chrylser star technicians keep resetting the software, however the light continues to come back on randomly. I have expressed my concerns and fears with the shifting, however they do not know what is causing the problem nor how to fix the issue so they continue to reset the computer. I do not feel safe driving the vehicle as I never know when the light will come on nor what it will do. Found error codes U146500 and P1C861D. Performed flash updates. Dates of issues: 6/29/15, 07/17/15, 09/06/15, 12/01/15. I also have problems with inconsistent shifting and take of. You can try to accelerate and the car will not go but the RPM's will rise. The car will suddenly take off after a 4-5 second delay. This has caused me great fear as sometimes you will go to turn and the car pauses before taking off. By the time it does take off you have turned in front of an oncoming car. Again Chrysler star technicians have told me I am "over sensitive" and the car functions as any 9 speed transmission is designed to do.

- Saint Henry, OH, USA

Aug 312015

Check engine light began coming on 8K miles. Doesn't shift properly won't accelerate properly. Has been in shop for same thing 4 times in 2 months. And light has been on all of 3months but had to wait on parts and loner. Bring it home only to have same issue next day. Many complaints online about this issue. They keep replacing same part and never fixes problem for more than a day or two.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Nov 252015

After driving into my driveway, which has a partial slope as normal, I put the vehicle in park and removed the key from the ignition. I opened the door and started exiting the Jeep when is started rolling backward. I was able to scramble back into the Jeep and was able to break the vehicle to a stop. I then moved the Jeep up back to the driveway and applied the paring break. No damage or injury occurred but it scared the 'bleep' out of me.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

May 182015

The transmission suffers from hard shifts and delayed shifting. This occurs when shifting from reverse to drive, park to drive, accelerating from a stop and accelerating to pass another vehicle. The delayed shifting or hesitation is dangerous to drivers of this vehicle and others as it causes the driver of the Jeep Cherokee to unintentionally lurch into traffic. This is especially dangerous when making a left turn across oncoming traffic. In these situations when the gas pedal is depressed the engine revs and becomes loud but the vehicle does not move- very similar to if one pressed the gas while in neutral. This hesitation lasts a few to several seconds during which time oncoming traffic that was a safe distance away when the turn was initiated has become dangerously close. The transmission suddenly engages and propels the vehicle into the path of oncoming traffic. This problem is intermittent but frequent. It occurs every time I drive but not every time I shift from park to reverse, shift from park to drive, make a left hand turn, accelerate to pass, or accelerate from a stopped position. I believe this makes this issue especially dangerous because the driver never knows when or if this may occur. The vehicle has been serviced 3 times within 10 months of ownership for the above issues. It has had all available transmission module updates without improvement and is currently awaiting transmission replacement. Per the dealership the transmission replacement is unlikely to correct the issues as it is being replaced with the same faulty transmission. My vehicle has been in for service for more than 50 days cumulatively. The earliest anticipated arrival date of the new transmission is over 2 weeks away meaning that my vehicle will have been undrivable for more than 2 months before the earliest anticipated date of repair. First date of service 5-18-15

- Tecumseh, MI, USA

Jun 022015

Problem started while moving. Now it's as soon as it startsmy problem started June 2015, whole dash lights up tire pressure, service air bag,4WD unavailable, brake failure, and when comes to stop disengages transmission.same thing started again August 3rd 2015 same list again. Received back again Sept 2nd 2015 drove for 2 days. Back to dealer again. Still there currently have not received back cannot figure problem out Chrysler is involved but they are rediculas case number available if needed

- Springbrook, PA, USA

Nov 052015

During driving "4WD overheated. Temporarily unavailable" randomly shows up on the display and then goes away. The last I was taking it to the dealership "4WD svc" yellow light came on. Dealership looked at it twice and even changed some electronic component but the problem still persists.

- Springdale, AR, USA

Jun 012015

When downshifting from 3rd to 2nd to 1st at an intersection, the transmission skips 2nd gear and finally drops into 1st at about 1-2 mph. If I accelerate prior to coming to a full stop, the transmission is in 3rd gear and has insufficient power to avoid a collision. The transmission also causes a dangerous problem when shifting from reverse into forward. Numerous times there is a sharp jerk which causes me to concentrate on retaining control of the car and losing awareness of my surroundings. This car is also well know for having an extreme wobble when pulled behind an rv - which is what I purchased it for. I haven't experienced the wobble yet as I haven't hooked up my Cherokee waiting for Chrysler to resolve the very dangerous wobble problem. All of the problems listed above occur while the vehicle is in motion - sometimes at highway speed and sometimes while driving in town.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Nov 082015

The vehicle service engine light keeps coming on, service transmission light comes on. Vehicle shifts in and out of gear on its own. Parking brake activates on its own. The start/stop malfunction light comes on. It has been towed in to dealership 3 times. These problems have occurred while vehicle was in motion.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Nov 092015

When attempting to accelerate from a stop position the vehicle's rpms will go up, however the vehicle will not move, and then will suddenly lunge forward. It also will shift very hard from gear to gear, and if stopped on a hill, and attempt to move from starting position, transmission does not engage right away, even though vehicle is in drive. It started doing this about two months after I bought the vehicle at which time it had approx. 2000 miles on it, and has continued.

- Erie, PA, USA