Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

2015 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 9 of 17)

Oct 242015

Jeep 2015 Cherokee stalled while in motion in high speed lane of highwayin heavy traffic. Upon restarting, car was stuck somewhere around 3rd or 4th gear. Engine was skipping.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Oct 052015

July 31, 2015: Vehicle transmission overheated warning light came on while driving (8-10 miles) in morning and again in afternoon. In pm turned of vehicle and restarted, various warning lights including transmission requires service warnings appeared and transmission was stuck in one gear. July 31-augusts1 Jeep was at dealer for complete transmission replacement (approximately 5500 miles). October 5-October 7 vehicle left with dealer due to continued transmission issues while driving. Vehicle periodically clunks and jerks forward when shifting into low gear when coming to a stop. Becomes confused when slowing to a rolling stop, and hesitates to take off when accelerating from a stop. Currently when driving in daylight the auto headlights periodically flicker on and off when I drive through a shadow and make viewing displays in daylight problematic. Jeep customer care says that they could find no error codes and without "replicating the problem" or having error codes they can't do anything.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Oct 152015

I was trying to continue through a busy intersection, I pressed the accelerator and the car acted like it was in neutral. It revved up, but did not accelerate. I looked down at my gear shift and it was still in drive, however my dashboard said that the Jeep was in neutral. Because I could not continue through the intersection, I was rear ended by the person behind me.

Oct 092015

Completed a new lease for a 2015 Cherokee 4X4 limited on $10.08. The next morning, the vehicle would not accelerate as I made a left turn into a five lane road. I was able to coast to a lot. Dealership towed it and within a week replaced valve body. When I picked up car, the car malfunctioned again on the porter who brought the car to me- service transmission and break lights on again (both happened with the vehicle lost power the first time). They kept the car and replaced the transmission control module. Two days later, the car is making a whistling noise while in park- possible burning smell coming from rear of care where the noise is most prevalent. Will return to dealer today but very concerned about the safety of this new vehicle of me and my two young sons.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Oct 162015

I bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk V6 on 10/14/15. On 10/16/15 while driving down a street at 45mph, the vehicle died. I managed to get off to the side of the road and after a couple of attempts it started again. The check engine light was now on and I had no acceleration. I managed to drive 5 miles to the dealership in "limp mode" and drop it off for repairs. The last I heard on 10/17/15 was that they were going to replace the tcm and PCM and see if that helps, it is now 10/21/15 and I do not have an update.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Oct 162015

There have been 2 incidents within 6 months where upon acceleration onto a highway from an on-ramp, the vehicle will suddenly light up different warning lights in the dash stating that the 4WD is not functioning, the auto stop/start is inactive, and the vehicle will no longer be able to accelerate no matter how much you press on the gas. The car starts running at very high rpms, around 4,000-5,500 rpms, but will no longer accelerate past 40 mph. There is no more power being driven to the engine, the rpms are stuck at high revolutions, and you are not able to accelerate. This occurred as soon as the vehicle entered a busy highway, and immediately lost acceleration power. This is a serious safety risk, and it has happened to many other people with the same vehicle as reported on another issue that is a safety risk is when attempting to accelerate from a stopped position, the transmission will not accelerate but will hesitate for a few seconds, then roughly jerk into gear and take off. This is also a safety risk because when the car does not accelerate, your first reaction is to press on the gas pedal more, but when the transmission finally shifts into gear, it accelerates way too fast because of the amount of power you were giving the gas pedal. This happens constantly. Chrysler has taken no interest in solving these issues, and we have already had a new engine and transmission installed in this year old car, but none of the issues have been resolved through this, but have actually gotten worse. This car is no longer reliable, or safe to drive, and it is unacceptable. These transmission issues will cause accidents, as the loss of acceleration and power make being able to maneuver on the roads or the highway a severe risk. I have all service records for this vehicle upon request.

- Mercer Island, WA, USA

Jun 112015

Bought the car new in Jan. 2015. Noticed first issue in June 2015 when it had no power going up a steep hill. End of June check engine light came on and start/stop unavailable. Took it back to the dealer and was told it needed a new transmission. It had 9,000 miles at this point. Got car back and immediately noticed problems with acceleration. Car will not accelerate properly from a stop. I have almost been T-boned numerous times D/T pulling out into traffic for a turn and having no power. Also will accelerate when trying to brake. Car returned to dealer, told they could not duplicate. Car continued to have same issues as well as loss of power when going up inclines. Took back into dealer. They put a recording device on the car to monitor what it was doing when I was having the issues. Car also started going forward when I would put it into reverse. Just heard back from the dealership about the car. It needs another new transmission. I am done with this car. Pretty sure it qualifies as a lemon under Ohio law. They will be buying this car back from me. Obviously the defect cannot be corrected. It is a huge safety issue.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Feb 162015

Cherokee 4WD

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the horn failed to function. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where they diagnosed that the air bag needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,700. Updated 02/12/16 the consumer stated two lower gears in the transmission failed. The manufacturer is buying the vehicle back, as the second transmission was beginning to exhibit problems. Updated 03/08/16.

- Indio, CA, USA

Oct 072015

While applying the brakes in an attempt to stop the vehicle, the vehicle slows down to approx. 20mph and then accelerates on its own.

- Bethpage, NY, USA

Oct 082015

I was driving to work, the vehicle had only 800 miles on it and both the "malfunction indicator light" and the auto stop/start light came on. When I stopped at a stop sign, the auto stop/start made a warning noise and a message came up saying "auto stop start not available have it serviced". it continues to do this. When driving down a steep hill the car races as if it isn't going to slow down and twice while climbing a steep hill the vehicle had no power, I couldn't get the vehicle to go any faster no matter how hard I pushed down on the accelerator. In these instances, the rpms go as high as 4000 and stay there and don't decrease. Twice I have had to pull over and shut the car off to stop this and "reset" the vehicle (which the mechanic of the dealership told me to do). The instances where the auto stop/start warning comes on are when I stop at a stop sign and when I am driving on relatively flat road going between 30 & 40 mph. The "racing" occurs going downhill between 50 & 60 mph.

- Chester, VT, USA

Oct 142015

I bought my car 3/29/2015. My car has been in the shop 4 times in the 6 months since I have bout it. It had the transmission valve replaced, the harness replaces, and after all of that still did not fix anything. My car is currently having a new transmission put in ( only has 5,000) miles on it! so many costumers are having the same issues with their 2015 Cherokee, they are unsafe and have caused many accidents from transmission failures. They need to be recalled!!!

Aug 282015

Bought 2015 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk 2/2015 brand new. Started having creaking coming from sunroof area about 2 months in. Dealer states no fix for it. Took vehicle in for oil change at 9000 miles. Dealer performed 3 updates at that time. Received car back and auto start/stop light came on and went off several times. Also noted hard shifting and acceleration issues at that time. Took to dealer and they did "software updates." Got vehicle back "fixed, " drove it 3 blocks and lights came on again with same acceleration and shifting issues. Straight back to dealer. Ended up getting entirely new transmission at 9000 miles! picked up "fixed" vehicle again and noted severe jerking with slow stops and sluggish acceleration. Back to dealer for yet another software updated. Have back again now. Can now feel vehicle when it is idling. Feels like it has a mild shake or shudder. Also having occasional problems with sluggish acceleration particularly when turning. Also continue to have loud creaking from sunroof which is just getting worse. Scared to drive vehicle as am afraid it simply won't accelerate one of these times. Heaven forbid it is in rush hour traffic with a left turn. Vehicle is not reliable, have absolutely no faith in it.

- York, NE, USA

Sep 242015

Purchased the 2015 Jeep Cherokee in March. Have had issues with the transmission due to the recalls. The vehicle would slow and not shift properly, it would also lurch and stall and shift very clunky. 9/21 - had the recalls taken care of and was told it would solve the issues. 9/22 - driving on the freeway in stop and go traffic and the car suddenly lurches and then stops. The service transmission, check engine and emergency brake were all flashing. I almost got rear-ended and was in a serious accident. I had to turn the car off on the freeway to "reboot" it as it was stuck in a parked position but not powered off. 9/24 - en route to get the car serviced, I was on the freeway in traffic, it lurches and stopped again, this time causing me to rear-end the vehicle in front of me.

- South St Paul, MN, USA

Aug 152015

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that both key fobs would fail to start the vehicle and rear brake light failed the vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer replaced the brake light and noticed that the failure persisted. Several days later, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer again where it was diagnosed that the entire transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle independently accelerated without the accelerator being depressed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 13,000.

- Lorton, VA, USA

Apr 152015

When slowing down in traffic or starting a step grade the transmission boggs down and then slams into a lower gear causing a sudden and instant speed as if you were trying to drag race from a stop sign. Often causing loss of traction and forcing the wheels to spin out. I have had numerous times where I almost rear ended the vehicle in front of me at 4 way stops or in construction zones. The axel also wobble upon starting out, mainly in 2nd gear. One time while on a dirt road the force of the ecelleration put me off the road. After my 4th attempt to have a repair done, they exchanged the inner portion of the transmission, the vehicle now performs this action almost every time I come to a stop or slow down to 5 to 7 mph and then apply the gas again. No gradually ecelleration available in this vehicle. I won't allow my wife to drive due to the extreme safety hazard having to give min. Of 3 car lengths so as to not endanger others on the road. The vehicle has been in the shop 5 times in 5 months for this issue and still not corrected. Both axel have been replaced on the front of the Jeep and numerous computer upgrades. My service manager stated to me he had 4 others in his shop in one day waiting for a fix and another dealer in Texas has 35. My best friend works as a salesman for the local dealer and said they are towed in for this problem multiple times a week. When asking his manager what to say to new buyers he was told that's what a warranty is for. My Jeep was taken into the service department for computer upgrade for the transmission before I even bought it.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Oct 022015

Driving up steep hill, transmission failed, car went into neutral, flashing red messages on dash, car rolled backwards. Had to put on emergency brake and jump out. Towed to local dealership in berkely, ca. They replaced transmission and updated software as of Oct.1, purchased new in Feb. 2015, has 5000 miles. Now car lurches forward, when driving. I feel like I will have an accident. Chrysler customer care doesn't return phone calls. I guess I am lucky I haven't injured myself or anyone else yet!!

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Sep 302015

-revving up on its own when in park. Sometimes I have to wait up to a minute for it to settle down so I can put in into drive (original issue that only seems to have been exacerbated from the software update). -rpms spike when downshifting causing a slight acceleration -speeds up without my foot on the gas pedal -lurches forward 90% of the time when I take my foot off the brake, this is unsafe in traffic conditions -lurches forward when I put it into drive. -sticks in park, drive or reverse. The consumer reported multiple occurrences (25 in total) of the above conditions that occurred at various dates and mileages. 10/7/15

Sep 072015

As I drove my Jeep Cherokee limited up my very steep driveway in the berkeley, ca. Hills the transmission failed, red lights came on flashing messages and the car went into neutral and rolled backwards down hill. I almost went off a canyon rd. But I put on emergency brake and jumped out! then I had problems geting it taken back to dealer who sold it to me. Now it is in a Jeep dealer where they are installing anew transmission. No one at Chrysler will call me back or my mother who bought me the car. They told her to file a calif. Lemon law form but that U have to wait for 3 incidences to occur. My mother said she is not waiting for me to roll down the canyon and be killed in order to get our money back. This is very serious and Chrysler doesn't care. The NHTSA should order a recall of this car before someone is killed.

- Berkely, CA, USA

Sep 282015

The vehicle hesitates when starting from a stop or accelerating from a turn or other slowing. When I add power the vehicle will lurch forward sometimes squealing the tires. This is particularly dangerous when turning left ahead of oncoming traffic. The vehicle hesitates while accelerating to pass or merge into highway traffic. The transmission software has been updated but the problem was made worse. The transmission has been replaced by Jeep/Chrysler but the problem remains. The Chrysler service representative told me that the vehicle is designed to not shift into first gear unless it comes to a complete stop. This causes the vehicle to "bog down" when coming out of a turn. This is very troubling when turning left ahead of oncoming traffic. The natural reaction is to add power. This causes the transmission to shift into first gear and lurch the vehicle forward. I've made a complaint thru the Chrysler customer care center. After another visit to the dealership I was told "the vehicle is performing as designed." If that is the case then why did they replace the transmission? this vehicle is not safe to drive.

- Monument, CO, USA

Jun 262015

Dealer did a software flash for PCM for 9 speed auto transmission June 15, 2015 and since then it will not downshift into first gear unless vehicle comes to complete stop. Transmission will not downshift entering highway. It shifts are sluggish when going from reverse to drive. Sometimes it slams into first gear when I pull away from stop. Dealer said no warning light goes on so its okay. There was nothing wrong until they did software flash.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA