CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

2015 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 9 of 18)

Nov 082015

Cherokee

The vehicle service engine light keeps coming on, service transmission light comes on. Vehicle shifts in and out of gear on its own. Parking brake activates on its own. The start/stop malfunction light comes on. It has been towed in to dealership 3 times. These problems have occurred while vehicle was in motion.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Nov 092015

Cherokee

When attempting to accelerate from a stop position the vehicle's rpms will go up, however the vehicle will not move, and then will suddenly lunge forward. It also will shift very hard from gear to gear, and if stopped on a hill, and attempt to move from starting position, transmission does not engage right away, even though vehicle is in drive. It started doing this about two months after I bought the vehicle at which time it had approx. 2000 miles on it, and has continued.

- Erie, PA, USA

Nov 052015

Cherokee

I purchased my 2015 Cherokee 10 months ago and only has 7700 miles but as time has passed the shifting of gears is getting worse. If you let of the gas at 30mph when the car gets to 27mph it accelerates and you can see the RPM increase. When you brake and get to around 20mph the car does the same thing. I have had numerous occassions of almost getting an accident because of this when braking. Its also very dangerous to be going into a turn and the car start to go faster and I don't feel like I have control over the vehicle. During the first oil change I was advised the dealership of the concern and they said you just have to get used to driving a Jeep as they run rough compared to cars. I took my Jeep to the dealership 11/5/2015 since I complained again and now they do agree "something" is wrong with it but they don't know what due to its not giving them a code. I was given a rental car on 11/6/2015. On 11/10/2015 I was advised I needed a new transmission, the part was being ordered and should be ready in a few days. On 11/13/2015 I called to be advised a part was missing and it would not be ready until 11/16/2015. I called 11/16/2015 to see if it would be ready for me to pick up by 3pm and was told it would not be ready until 5pm, I told them I would pick up the Jeep the next day. Today 11/17/2015 my husband went to drop of the rental to pick up our Jeep and now it will not start, my husband was told they have no idea what is wrong but they will call later. At this point I do not feel safe having this vehicle and feel Chrysler should buy it back as now my resale value will decrease since it will show a transmission replacement at less than 8000 miles.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Jun 252015

Cherokee

Purchased the Jeep in November 2014 brand new. First 6 or 7 months the vehicle performed fine. Around June/July 2015 some minor issues with the transmission in shifting and accelerating. As if the car could not find the gear and it was żlurchingż when taking off from a stopped position. Also, when the car is in park and turned off, it rolls several inches before stopping. Due to having to travel across country in August, took vehicle in for service 9/5/2015 for an oil change and recall work on an unrelated issue. I asked about a recall that I heard about on the news for Jeep Cherokee transmissions and was advised there was a software update available for my Jeep. After the software update, advised to drive my car as normal and give it 100 to 300 miles for the software to żget used to my drivingż and to settle in. Since that time, had a marked increase in transmission noise, shifting problems, lurching problems, and the vehicle rolling more when I stop. The Jeep seems to shift between first and second gear okay, but it regularly going over 3000 rmpss and higher to shift to all other gears. It is like it cannot find the gears and it getting stuck. There is also a good bit of noise with this that was not there. September 9, 2015, while merging onto 1-40, Jeep was having a hard time going from third to forth gear and then it could not hit another gear and the rpms reached 4500 before shifting. Almost got hit from behind by a huge moving truck! took back to dealership on 9/9/15. Since the transmission started acting up again. Jerky, shifting abruptly, not changing gears, gears catching and rpmss going into the 5000 & 6000 before shifting on acceleration. Took back in on 10/3/15. Since then, same transmission issues. Several severe incidents with the transmission not shifting, seizing up and lurching forward and gears not engaging. Took back dealership 11/16.

- Cary, NC, USA

Nov 142015

Cherokee

Vehicle is warm. Shifting between 4th and 5th gear, slams into 5th at 30-35 mph. Feels like the transmission is going to fall out from under the vehicle. 14,000 miles on vehicle. Normal operating temps on all gauges. I am wondering if the electric solenoid aren't performing properly. This hasn't been the first time that this has happened.

- Jenison, MI, USA

Oct 022015

Cherokee

My car has had transmission issues from very early on. I can step on the gas, the engine revs up but does not register on the tachometer, then all of a sudden it catches and goes. I have been in 4 or 5 situations where I started pulling out into traffic and the car simply hesitated for several seconds before going. I actually had a very close call with a tractor trailer because of this hesitation. Also, you can step on the gas to accelerate and once at the desired speed then let off the accelerator and the engine stays at the accelerated RPM's for several seconds then shifts back out to normal RPM's. also, the car has had 4 separate electrical issues in 4 months as well. The check engine light comes on, then the engine cooling fan runs fast for about 30 minutes then shuts back down. I have had my vehicle at he dealership for problems 5 times in 4 months and they can't seem to find what the issue is or what to do to correct it.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Oct 262015

Cherokee

Transmission sometimes stalls, lags behind gas pedal, slips, and will even shutoff on the rode. I have been stuck in the middle of the road multiple times, twice with my two children in the car. I have taken in to Jeep dealership each time to be told something different each time. Twice they have re-flashed ECU, once to replace control module, and once again to be told they couldnt replicate the event. This vehicle is a death trap. I would suggest staying far away from this car. I am in the process of attempting a lemon law before I am stranded on the road and involved in an accident.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Nov 092015

Cherokee

When pusking the gas pedal from a complete stop, the car hesitates before engaging and then when it does engage, it accelerates at a high rate of speed and when slowing down it does not stop as quickly because the transmission is still engaged at a higher gear thus making rear impacts likely. Trying to make a turn either left or right in a high traffic congested area, it is almost impossible to to merge with the traffic quickly because of this hesitation. I feel like I am taking my life in my hands every time I drive this vehicle. This is a safety concern and should be treated as such.

- Hazel Green, WI, USA

Nov 102015

Cherokee

My 2015 Jeep Cherokee limited 4X2 has the 9 speed transmission. The transmission worked well at first, but soon shifted hard, surged, clunked hesitated, and hunted for gears. At 1921 miles, the check engine light came on, indicating transmission overheating, and the dealer replaced the transmission. The new transmission worked well for about 500 miles, but has started the same combination of hard shifting, surging, hesitating, clunking, and hunting. Dealer now says this is normal for the nine speed transmission, and they cannot do anything until the transmission gives error codes. This vehicle is scary when crossing intersections or making left turns across busy streets. The surging when it is put into park is also scary.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Nov 072015

Cherokee

6 times since purchasing the vehicle on Jan 30,2015 the car's transmission fails to engage after coming to a stop. Upon acceleration after a stop, the engine revs as if its in neutral when the gear shift is in drive often rendering the vehicle inoperable in the middle of an intersection. Several warning lights and messages flash including the disabling of the ABS system, emergency brake system, and shift vehicle into desired gear while still in drive. On 11/7/15 the lights began flashing while driving and the transmission failed to engage when the car came to a stop. Usually turning the car off and restarting will allow the vehicle to become operational again (with a check engine light illuminated) however, this time the vehicle would not even start and the transmission could not be shifted out of park in order to push it out of the middle of the street. This began the day after I purchased it with 80 miles on it and has continued to happen even after dealer "remedies" of resetting the transmission module, updating the transmission module and replacing the transmission module. This issue continues to worsen and is becoming increasingly hazardous. I do have videos of how the vehicle acts during these episodes and the dangerous position it has left me and my young daughters in when it occurs.

- Carpentersville, IL, USA

Feb 212015

Cherokee

Bought my 2015 Jeep Cherokee in November 2014. Began having a very loud, annoying rattle coming from back seat and transmission issues in February of 2015. The transmission surges when you start the car, it clunks after you turn the car off, sometimes the car won't go when you give it gas and then it will kick in and be like a turbo boost pushing the car forward. It's a huge safety concern. You have to be careful when making turns when there is oncoming traffic because you may push the gas but the car may not go like it should or could jump forward and cause you to reared someone when taking off from a red light. It's been in the shop 5times for the backseat and 3 times for the transmission ( just put it back in the shop yesterday). They have reprogrammed the transmission twice and I don't know what they do to the seat - they put some tape on the metal or something like that but it of course didn't fix it. This is a horrible vehicle and I traded out of a vehicle with negatively equity and after all the issues tried to trade out of it but the car has lost nearly $10,000 in value in less than a year leaving me stuck with this unsafe vehicle. I am scared to drive this vehicle on the highway where you must travel at high rates of speed. In August of 2015. I was stopped at a red light, light turned green, all the cards began moving forward. I pushed the gas which with the transmission issue the car kicks toward pretty hard when you take off and the car in front of me stopped abruptly and I tapped the back of the person's car. It was very insignificant and I was not even ticketed but of course the other driver is now making a personal injury claim and I truly believe if the transmission in this car did not surge forward when you first push the gas I probably would not have even tapped this vehicle!

- Blythewood, SC, USA

Sep 252015

Cherokee

I have owned this vehicle for 4 months and every 3 weeks I have to return it for service due to the transmission, 4X4 and traction control not working. Starts off in 3rd - 4th gear at any given time (almost been hit several times), will accelerate and surge forward during down shifting while stopping (almost hit several different vehicles) and now surges to 7000rpm when turning right and parking break has locked up 3 different times while in gear. 2 different dealerships don't know what to fix because it doesn't register any codes, they also tell me that this is a huge problem on all 9 speed transmissions they make, not just the one's in Jeep. But since they don't know what to fix and therefore its not an issue and I have to take my unpredictable and unsafe vehicle home and not the loaner because Jeep will not pay for it. I have contacted Jeep who assigned me a "resolution case manager" who will no longer return my phone calls for buy back or trading for a different vehicle. Is that their resolution, blow everyone off and hope we all go away"? why is nothing being done for everyone's safety? why are they still knowingly selling these vehicles with no know fix? how long before someone gets seriously injured? there is more than enough information that I have read on this page yet there is no action? isn't that what this site is for? action"

- Davison, MI, USA

Oct 252015

Cherokee

I started leasing this brand new car July 2015. Initially there were a few minor shifting changes that felt unsteady. Coming home from work one day in October 2015 I noticed the car was not accelerating, would shift poorly into different gears and was jolting. At the same time the "service engine light" turned on as well as a message stating "service transmission". I waited seven hours for Jeep to tow the car, it took them one week to diagnose, and they estimated another week to repair. So far they've had the car for two weeks and the estimate pickup day would mark 17 days without the car if its even ready on time. They are replacing the entire transmission.

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

Oct 252015

- Hoboken, NY, USA

Oct 312015

Cherokee

At 2,000 miles the check engine light came on and the vehicle began surging as I would decelerate towards a stop. In addition as I would descend down a hill the vehicle would act as if it were downshifting into much too low of a gear. Finally, when I accelerate out of a stop the vehicle would surge forward. I owned the vehicle 35 days.

- Warsaw, NY, USA

Oct 012015

Cherokee

I have had problems with the transmission of my 2015 Jeep Cherokee since I got it. It will sometime not shift going up hills and over revs but what is very scary is it will sometimes just hesitate when I press the gas and then suddenly take off without warning. If I am pulling out into traffic and I press the gas to go quickly the car simply will not go or it will just go a little and then pause and I will be stuck in the middle of the road. Then it will jerk and take off without warning. I am afraid to drive this car. It is a lease so I cannot even do anything about it. If I bought it I can assure you, I would have gotten rid of it by now. I am terrified to drive it.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Nov 022015

Cherokee

I purchased my 2015 Jeep Cherokee 3.6L limited edition in may since then had nothing but problems with the 9 speed automatic transmission rough shifting and the front axles causing wobbling at lower speed. After 5 or 6 visits to the service department they installed a new transmission and front axles. Two days later horrible noise was coming from the axles the vehicle had to be towed to service again. When the car was returned to me it seemed to be driving fine except it did not shift into 2nd gear and felt like the car has no power however it has 273 hp. Less then a 1000 miles later the check engine light came on along with a!. after diagnosis the error code was pointing to the transmission control module. The service administrator told me that they would clear the code and the tech would drive the car and if it does not come back the would consider it fixed, and not questioning why it happened at the first place. We feel completely unsafe in this car, I wish I never bought this vehicle. This car has 10500 miles on it and I had to take it 7 times to the dealership. Do not buy this type of car

- New Milford, CT, USA

Oct 222015

Cherokee

Initially car shuttered when coming to a stop and was downshifting. The engine start/stop malfunction light illuminated and the service engine mil came on as well. From then on the car behaved as though it was stuck in 3rd gear causing a total lack of torque/power when accelerating from stops, and the engine rpms were going extremely high and the car wouldn't shift. Even tried using the "manual shift" feature but the car indicated it was shifting gears, but the rpms did not change, nor could you feel the car shift. When accelerating from a stopped position there was no power and the car crawled/struggled to get moving forward. Was almost T-boned trying to turn across oncoming traffic to get to a parking lot so I could stop. Once I pulled into the parking lot car would not go into reverse. I put it in reverse, but the car wouldn't go. Turned the car off and then on and everything seemed to reset except mil and car started bevaing normally. I took the car to the dealership and they "reflashed" the PCM, tcm, and BCM. 1 day later the car shutters when down shifting and error lights come on. Loses power, and 50% of the time seems like it is not shifting gears. 25% of the time won't go into reverse. Car behaves normally after restarting though the mil indicator light remains on. Usually around 10 miles later the whole series of malfunction starts again, always when the car is downshifting before a stop. Just dropped the car off to the dealer and they are having their transmission specialist look at it. When I dropped it off it was giving the same error code, "improbable error" from the tcm/PCM. The lack of power to accelerate and inability to go into reverse makes this car simply unsafe to drive when the errors occur. Attaching first repair invoice from the tcm/PCM/BCM reflash. Waiting to hear what the transmission specialist says.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Sep 112014

Cherokee

Bought 2015 Jeep Cherokee brand new off the lot was so excited to own my first Jeep after 600 miles transmission failed and had to be completely replaced I was without it for 23 days. After I got it back and noticed the transmission either lunges forward when making a turn or looses power and reves up then engages took it back and dealer says we are aware of problem but there is not a update or fix for that.... I have never felt more unsafe or unsure about driving or trusting a vehicle than I do now. I have been back to dealer to have many updates/recalls done and tcm had to be replaced not just updated... I wish I never purchased a Jeep. O yeah I almost forgot the washer fluid liquid housing container is leaking took it to the dealer they said it has a crack in it defective so they need to order a new one...... ugghh what next?

- Pacoima, CA, USA

Jul 082015

Cherokee

When slowing, after removing foot from gas pedal, but before appling brakes.vehicle lunges forward..almost hit another car in parking lot. And at times when accelerating vehicle engine reves up but dosent move forward for a few secs..not good when turning left in traffic...

- Schaumburg, IL, USA