2007 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Commander:

2007 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 13 of 16)

Oct 212013

I pulled in my driveway, put my car in park and as I was turning off the key my car made horrible noise, and when I tried to restart the vehicle I had no power. I waited a few minutes and tried the key again, and the dash flicked off and on, off and on and it said transmission over temperature, check gauges, etc. This morning I tried again, and it said some code and then went completely dark today. About a month ago I was driving approximately 60 mph and my car just lurched shut off and restarted itself on a freeway. I talked to the tech - they did not know what it could be. Reading there are several complaints about this. Still not sure what is wrong with my car this time, I get it serviced regularly and obviously need to have it towed to a dealer to get checked out.

- Maple Valley, WA, USA

Sep 022013

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle keeps loosing power shifts into N state, pdrn are highlighted with boxes and you have to wiggle shifter to regain power. Message is: "service park assist". not sure if this is the same issue that the latest recall (13V175000) listed is however, my Jeep doesn't seem to fall in the manufactured date range so I am making a formal complaint since this is kind of low miles to have this kind of an issue with this vehicle and it is happening with my manufactured date vehicle.

- Enfield, NH, USA

Feb 182011

Commander 8-cyl

The engine has stalled on many occasions while driving on highway and other roads. This has occurred probably 20-30 times over the passed couple of years. Occasionally it will stall for a few seconds and then kick back in, but more often I will have to let the vehicle slow down and coast to a stop in the breakdown lane if there is one. I then put on the flashers, put it in park, turn off the key, wait a few seconds and start the vehicle. This may not happen again for several months or it may happen the next day. This is extremely dangerous and scares my wife and myself half to death. This past weekend while in the passing lane this occurred on the interstate with lots of traffic and we were lucky that it did not result in an accident. Researching online I have found that this is not uncommon with the Jeep Commander. There was a recall for this exact problem. (power train control module software) NHTSA campaign id # 08V203000, NHTSA action # EA07007. I called Chrysler and was basically told that our VIN# is not in the recall and they will not help. This is my wife's car but I usually do the driving.

- Windsor, CT, USA

Aug 092013

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 13V175000 ( electrical system, power train ) and stated that the parts were not available for the repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 172013

Commander 6-cyl

While driving down the street at approximately 25 miles an hour, the vehicle stalled it was towed to my home because it would not restart at the time. We had a mechanic do a spot check for blown fuses and battery/alternator issues, but no issue was found. The vehicle restarted the next morning.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Aug 072013

Commander 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle under normal conditions on the on-ramp to the highway, the vehicle stalled and lost power. I was not able to restart vehicle in neutral, once it rolled to a stop, and it was placed in drive, the vehicle was able to start. Approximately two miles on the highway, driving approximately 60 miles an hour, the vehicle shut down again. It restarted once it came to a complete stop and I was able to put it in drive.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Apr 242013

Commander 8-cyl

I have had to return this car several times. Too many times to be exact.

- Westfield , IN, USA

Jun 122013

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the alternator and the battery needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 66,981. The VIN was not available.

- Hiltons, VA, USA

May 152013

While coasting at approx 40mph, vehicle shuts down, no dashboard lights, while rolling I shift into neutral and am able to re-start vehicle. Currently at dealer. They can't find problem, no codes. On Jeep forums this is sadly a popular topic.

- Long Valley, NJ, USA

Feb 292012

I'm driving a vehicle that should have been recalled along with other vins of it's make. It has stalling issues. It dies going any speed at any time. I've owned it for just over a year and have had the same problem since month one. Thousands of dollars in parts including, all sensors, computer, control module and wire harness has been replaced and it is still going on. We have had several crysler reps from detroit down to the dealership its at to look to help find the problem but they've scratched their heads and suggest we just trade it in. We are the 4th owners of this and carfax would suggest that's what the previous owners were told to do just trade it in and let someone else get the death trap. I pay $600 a month for a vehicle I cant drive because its not safe to trade in and letting it go is not an option. Crysler is doing nothing to help with this issue and act like they have never had this problem tho Jeep forums would suggest other wise. This was a know issue in 06-08 Commanders and Liberty as well. Warranty wont do anything til the dealership can pin point what needs to be replaced and this is why allen samuels has paid for all the parts themselves. They say their out of options theres nothing else they can do but I can't drive an unsafe vehicle with children.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Mar 192013

My Jeep has been stalling out at random times while driving. Today it stalled twice while moving. It always starts right back up with no warning lights. Most of the times it stalls sitting at a light. Once it stalled going 65mph on the highway and started right back up by its self. The other day it stalled and it started back up then a few miles down the road the information center beeped and had a warning saying check gauges. The temperature gauge was on cold and it should have been in the middle (normal) because I had been driving for a little bit. I drove it to work and called the Jeep dealership to schedule an appointment for after work that day. At the end of the day when I started it up to take it to the dealership the warning "check gauges" was gone. I told the service rep at the dealership what had happened and that its been stalling out. They called the next day and said they couldn't find anything wrong. I drive the car everyday and there is some very wrong with the car. I don't feel safe driving my children in it and we don't take it on the highway now. I wouldn't feel right trading it in and giving someone else the death trap. Besides the concern for my families safety, I'm wondering if an accident was caused because my car stalled out how would I be able to prove that it was because the car stalled when the dealership is saying there's nothing wrong. Please look into this issue because Chrysler seems to not be concerned.

- Katy, TX, USA

Feb 282013

While driving on an interstate at 65mph my check engine light came on, a message stating "service parking assist system" appeared, and drnp was blocked on the front dash. The vehicle lost power and acceleration and began to feel as if the emergency brake was applied at full force. I pulled off the highway, turned the car off and back on and the check engine light remains on. Online research suggests this is a common problem involving the electronic shifting module and/or connection issues with the rear parking assist sensors. This pervasive problem should be rectified with a recall at no cost to customers.

- Eureka, MO, USA

Apr 022012

Commander 8-cyl

On multiple occasions my 2007 Jeep Commander with 4.7 liter V8 has stalled without warning. It has happened at idle, while slowing, while accelerating, and while driving at freeway speeds (60-70 mph). Each time it has restarted after taking the transmission out of gear, turning the key to the off position, and restarting the engine. This is potentially very dangerous if it happens under the wrong circumstances since you, of course, unexpectedly lose power assist on both brakes and steering when the engine dies.

- Dorado, PR, USA

Feb 162013

Commander 6-cyl

Just purchased used 2007 Commander sport V6 at 58458 miles... drove it on vacation from detroit to wilmington, nc approx. 900 miles. Trip went without incident until we drove down to see the ocean turned off the car, walked along the beach for about a half an hour, came back to the car, turned the ignition and absolutely nothing. However, all the electrical components seem to be functioning except the starter. At the dealer now and waiting to see what they tell me. I spent 25 plus years working in dealerships, mostly Chrysler, not as a mechanic but I had my fair share of exposure to the service department. Signed, stranded in

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

Feb 112013

Vehicle stalled in the middle of highway traffic. Warning on dash states "service park assist system".

- Centennial, CO, USA

Oct 152012

Commander 8-cyl

After a schedule tune up, where two coil packs were replaced, and a PCM software update was performed our 2007 Jeep Commander began stalling at slow speeds. Usually under 20 mph or at a stop when the engine is at or near idle speeds, the engine will obruptly stall without warning. There is no check engine light and no error code. Our local Jeep dealer has made several repair attempts including replacing the PCM, and shielding the engine wiring harness with aluminum foil. The problem continues. The key must be cycled to the 'off' position to restart the engine. The engine has stalled at high speeds a few times making for a very dangerous situation.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Feb 062013

Commander 8-cyl

The car has been stalling over the past 4 months. Normally the stalling has occurred when the car was idling. Last week the car did the same thing but at a much higher rate of speed (60 mph). The car shut off and I lost power steering. Multiple lights have been coming in the dash over the past few months and my automatic windshield wipers have stopped working. Also, my automatic gate opener sometimes just will not work. There are similar issues with 2006 and 2008 vehicles and both of those have recalls, but I noticed that the 2007 does not.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 292012

While driving on the highway around 50-55mph the engine shuts down with no warning. There will be some slight hesitation as the dashboard lights up and all power is lost. Have been able to coast over to the side of the road before coming to a complete stop where I can then turn the car off. This has happened 4 times now and can be potentially very hazardous. I am able to restart the car immediately and be back on my way with no problem. Has been happening once every week or so. Have taken truck to the dealership twice where they tell me they can not duplicate the problem and they do not now what is causing it.

- Merrick, NY, USA

Jan 122013

Commander 8-cyl

I've been having a problem with my 07 Jeep Commander ill be driving on road and for no reason it will just turn off this im my primary car and I have a new born baby I would hate to get a phone call that they have been in a accident there has to be a recall on this right away this is the 3rd time it has happen please help.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 202010

Purchased used in spring 2008 with approx. 30K miles, in spring of 2010 had several weeks of issues ranging from vehicle cutting off randomly, vehicle jumping while at stop lights, hesitating to go into 2nd and 3rd gear and then the 'service park assist' light would illuminate along with the gear indicator lights being all highlighted. Obviously the dealer could not reproduce this but replaced the 'shifter mechanisim / shift lever housing, automatic transmission console shifter' and now in January of 2013 at 83369 miles, while driving home from lunch we could not get the vehicle to come out of first and the gear indicator lights were all highlighted. And for about 2 or more months have had the same issues as before with the vehicle cutting off, acceleration issues, jumping while in drive at a stop light. Waiting for the dealership to call back because its a Jeep and you cant have newer Jeep repaired by anyone other than a dealership. Complete racket. Not to mention that you can't even check the transmission fluid, that has to be done by a dealership also. Will not buy Jeep again! ever!!!!!

- Portsmouth, VA, USA