2007 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Commander:

2007 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 14 of 16)

Dec 152012

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact merged to the shoulder and was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised that the electronic shift module would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Chesterfield Township, MI, USA

Nov 162012

Commander 6-cyl

I was driving home from picking up my daughter from a school event when suddenly my car slowed down on its own down to 10 mph. Then the car completely stopped. On the control console it only read "service park assist" and the drive position controls where all highlighted and boxed out (drnp). I lost all control of the vehicle other than turning the wheel. I tried to accelerate by pressing the gas and it just revved the engine and did nothing else. I swerved off the road and hit a median that took out the tire and left damage to the left of the car under carriage. I had to shift the gear into park and back to drive in order for the car to start up again. I took the car to a local Jeep Chrysler Dodge service depot and had it ran for a diagnostic for at which time they told me that it was a common issue found in this model and earlier models and that it wasn't covered by the power train that the vehicle would need $1100 in repairs to fix an electronic transformer shift modulator. I had just purchased the car on October 31 from a Jeep Chrysler Dodge dealership and less than three weeks later the car is for crap. And the dealership refused to fix the problem and Jeep has not issued a recall for this issue but they have for the 2006 model. This problem is life threatening. It can occur at anytime at any speed. If I were on a expressway my children and I would probably be dead. Jeep needs to be pursed for this issue and forced to fix the damage on any vehicles reporting this issue. You can also refer to claims 10379415 10381239. There are also hundreds more complaints online at sites like

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 012011

At various times without warning we lose power to the motor. Can not accelerate. Engine sputters. Happens from dead stop, idling, or without warning driving in city or highway traffic. Been looked at by multiple mechanics who are stumped. Check engine light is on and sometimes flashes plus almost all dashboard warning lights turn on sometimes. This happened when I first purchased the vehicle and they wound up changing the transmission.

- Newberry, FL, USA

Sep 102008

Commander 6-cyl

I have had my 07 Jeep Commander (3.6 V6) since January 2008. I have notice numerous times while driving from a complete stop, that my vehicle will lose power and start to sputter when I try to apply the gas and the car moves very slow as in less than 20mph. This has happened to me numerous times and makes me very uncomfortable driving knowing that my car can stop and leave me vulnerable to being rear-ended at intersections or common stops. I notice when this happens that my vehicle cluster displays "service park assist" and the service park assist light comes on uncontrollably and at the same time my dash/ cluster also displays ( [P][R][N][D] ) all at once as if the vehicle does not know what gear it is in. This is not acceptable for a vehicle that is supposed to provide a safe driving experience. I also find it very disappointing that numerous people all over the United States and internet/ forums all have this problem and Chrysler tries to narrow it down to a select year. Model. And engine. My vehicle has the same issues as the previous recall for the 2007 4.7 V8 engines, yet Chrysler ignores the community of Jeep Commander owners with the 3.6 V6 engine that have the same problem. There is also a tsb (18-004-09 rev. A) that describes the clunking and hesitation you feel when trying to get up to speed. This is not something a customer should have to pay for. My vehicle is a 2007 with less than 40,000 miles on it and I should be able to enjoy my vehicle safely during this time period. Another problem is that the vehicle does this at random so you can't just take it to the dealership and show them the problem. I'm sure they would gladly take my money and let me spend 1000+ dollars for new parts, but I have an 8yr/80,000 mile warranty purchased from Chrysler and will not pay for diagnostic after diagnostic to try and replicate a problem that is clearly there...

- Antioch, CA, USA

Oct 122012

This has happened to me. I am a mother, wife, daughter. The bad thing of this situation is that I had this replaced once before I had 31,505 miles on it and the ems electric transmission shift module had to be replaced. 4 yrs later mileage at 82,000 miles the same part has to be replaced. I have contacted Chrysler and all they can say we are sorry there is nothing I can do for you. This part is no longer under warranty and informed that the part (68021352) was not included in a recall. This malfunctions has caused me to no longer feel safe in my car. I don't want to drive my car with my daughter in it. With out warning this has happened one to many times. This part should be recalled when I had the vehicle serviced back in 2008 I paid $100 now today when I had it repaired it cost $1000. Funny isn't it that over 4 yrs this part has doubled in price. And the mechanic at Chrysler says to me oh yeah I've seen this alot on this model.

- Augusta , MI, USA

Nov 132008

Commander 6-cyl

While driving my assistance system brake light came on I was driving 30mph and had to pull over the car would not shift or go over 30 mpr at 31,505 miles on it and the ems electric transmission shift module. Has to be replaced. 4 yrs later mileage at 82,000 miles the same part has to be replaced.this time I was on interstate 94 driving 60mpr and the lights came on I pulled off interstate and when I pulled into gas station the car pulled and lunged I turned it off waited and turned back on while I was driving at 30mpr it would not go past 30mpr. I have contacted Chrysler and all they can say is hold on to your receipts as this part is no longer under warranty and informed that the vehicle was not included in a recall. This malfunctions has caused me to no longer feel safe in my car. I don't want to drive my car with my daughter in it.

- Augusta, MI, USA

Mar 172010

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the electronic shift module failed while driving 70 mph. The vehicle decelerated abnormally before stalling without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer previously who replaced the electronic shift module however, the failure continued to recur. The dealer advised the contact that they needed to replace the electronic shift module once again. The manufacturer was notified who offered to cover fifty percent of the repair costs. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 112,000.

- Linesville, PA, USA

Mar 152012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

While driving 70mph down the highway, my car suddenly stalled. I was forced to make an emergency stop on the shoulder of the highway. Unlucky for me, where my car decided to stall was near the off ramp of the highway, under a bridge. It was quite a dangerous position to be in. The Jeep dealership decided that it was a throttle positioning sensor. Several months later and my car is randomly stalling again and the dealership does not understand why. I've had my shift assembly fully replaced as well as a new starter. I don't understand the issues that I am facing and why so little is known by the Jeep dealership when this SUV has been out for several years now.

- North Olmsted, OH, USA

Sep 092012

Commander 6-cyl

Problem started with vehicle losing power on acceleration from dead stop. It did that twice before the "check engine" light came on as I was pulling out into heavy traffic. Immediately took it to garage which determined code were U0404 (implausible data received from esm), P0607 (ECU internal performance) and B1A28 (ECM mismatch with skm). Dealers had two shifter/esm assemblies in stock. That tells me this is a common problem as I have read on the internet that it is. This vehicle is pampered and only driven about 5K per year, mostly when I got to our hunting camp up state. Repair cost $1,130.99. Chrysler needs to pony up with a recall and fix this issue without cost as well as reimburse those of us who have already paid to have the defect fixed. Someone could be injured or killed as a result of this defect.

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

Jul 152011

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving approximately 75 mph the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to maneuver to the shoulder of the road and restarted the vehicle. The failure was intermittent and with time became progressively worse. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Ovapa, WV, USA

Aug 062012

The service park assist light will come on and them all the gear indicators on instrument panel will light up and vehicle stall when driving and lose all power. This has happened multiple of times at different speeds. Scan code only shows electronic shift module (esm) is bad. My wife was pulling onto the highway from a side road one of the times the vehicle stalled and was almost hit by several cars.

- Kellville, OK, USA

Jun 172012

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that after the vehicle was refueled, the engine could not be started. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The dealer replaced the battery but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle made a wining noise and the electrical warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who performed a diagnostic and located the failure at the alternator. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 91,005.

- Knoxville , TN, USA

Mar 072012

Commander 6-cyl

The vehicle will stall while driving suddenly and has choked and lunged forward while stopped. This is scary'. I don't want to hurt anyone and I have never had to file an insurance claim due to an accident. I don't know what is happening with this Jeep. I have taken it to the dealer for diagnosis and they found no problem. I contacted Jeep in hopes there was a recall for this problem. I love the vehicle, but scared to take this risk of an accident and possible death or destruction of property due to no fault of mine. I'm really scared to drive this thing but can't afford to replace it right now......what the do I do? updated 07/19/12

- Brandon, FL, USA

Jun 302010

Commander 6-cyl

We bought this 2007 Jeep Commander 2 years ago and have had problems with the electronic shift module (esm) along the whole way. The vehicle's check engine light comes on followed by all of the shift locations on the dash lighted up. Next the service park assist system warning on the dash. The next thing is the engine bogs down and you cannot go over 20 mph. We pull off the road and restart the engine and continue on until it happens again. This is a major design flaw as it has almost caused 2 potentially fatal car accidents on the highway with my wife and baby. Please take care of this asap as I cannot afford the $1400 dollar repair to fix the esm that could end my wife and baby's life.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Jun 042012

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while traveling 45 mph the vehicle stalled and the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the vehicle had had some electrical glitches, but had never stalled before. The vehicle was not inspected. The failure mileage and current mileages were 80,000.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

May 272012

Commander 6-cyl

While driving down the road the Jeep shut off, complete loss of power, brakes and steering then after a few seconds turned back on. This had happened 4 times within 10 mile. This is not the first time that this has happened. I had taken it to the dealership so they could plug it into their computer. The results were negative and could not find any problems. Searching online, there are several other Jeep owners that are having the same problem. There needs to be a recall on these vehicles before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Leland, NC, USA

Mar 102012

Commander 6-cyl

While driving 65 mph on the interstate, vehicle lost power. Dash display message appeared "service park assist system" and vehicle gear display indicated the P R N D were all illuminated. The engine stayed running but would not respond to the gas pedal, decelerating. Turned on hazard lights and pulled over, placed vehicle in park, shifted to drive, and continued as normal. A short time later, the check engine light came on. The problem is intermittent, and has happened many times since then and in many different driving situations. For example, after pulling into traffic on a highway, the vehicle would not accelerate, causing the traffic behind to nearly slam into us. If acceleration had been available as normal, this would not have been an issue. Another example, the problem happened during heavy rush hour interstate traffic, causing the need to cross several lanes to reach a breakdown lane. It has happened immediately upon starting the vehicle and after the vehicle has been running normally for a long time. It is very unpredictable. The vehicle is dangerous and cannot be trusted to provide power or acceleration when it is needed. Private shop checked the fault codes and replaced the transmission control module which did not fix the problem. Internet research shows this exact problem with these exact symptoms is common and widespread in the 2007 Jeep Commander and appears to indicate a faulty electronic shifter module. Chrysler response to the problem is hit and miss, some dealers acknowledging they have seen this before, others claiming they have never seen it and the problem is isolated and not widespread. There needs to be a safety recall on this dangerous issue before someone is hurt or killed, if they have not already. We used this vehicle to Transport our children and now we can't even trust it to safely get us to the shop to have it repaired.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 202010

My 2007 Jeep Commander turns off O me when I'm at stop signs or slowing down without any warning. Today I went in for an oil change and told the service advisor about the problem. He acted like that was the first time he has heard about the issue. He asked me how often it happens and I said a few times a week. He then said that the vehicle would have to be brought in while it's happening. Really!!!! how am I suppose to take it in when it happens or before it happens! the vehicle doesn't warn me and it turns in right away as if nothing has ever happened! it is so frustrating!! I've had it for less than a year and we are already experiencing problems! I don't feel safe driving the vehicle with my baby! I've read all the complaints about the same issue!! this needs to be fixed! I think this vehicle is a lemon!

- Pearland , TX, USA

Feb 202012

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle has lost all power while driving, engine shuts down, no electrical power and had to coast to a stop. Vehicle restarts after turning key to off and then restarting. This has happened twice now, the first time on Feb. 20th, 2012 and yesterday Mar.10th, 2012.

- Decatur, MI, USA

Jan 182011

The vehicle was purchased new October 2007, also the extended warranty 5year 60,000 was purchased at the same time. The major problems began with the transmission electronic system, the removed and replaced something inside. Meanwhile the vehicle has been serviced and maintained by grava Chrysler Jeep since new the first time we complained and had it serviced was January 2011 and the last report was February 20,2012 and they still don't know what to fix..last year while driving home on interstate 93 speed approx 55 the vehicle lost power and we almost were struck by another vehicle, we had to come to a complete stop, place the vehicle in park to restart.would not restart in neutral. The tech and service manager said it should have, well it didn't. they replaced the ignition switch, it happened again, they replaced some module, it happened again, they changed the fuel pump, it happened again for the sixth (6) time.they kept it for 10 days and were not able to find the problem, no code, no problem that was their the way they put over 500 miles on the vehicle this time.

- Melrose, MA, USA