2007 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Commander:

2007 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 15 of 16)

Mar 022009

Commander 6-cyl

Vehicle stalls and driver loses command of accelerator, power steering and brakes. Happens at various speeds but obviously most dangerous at highway speeds. When vehicle loses power, all gear indicators light up on the dashboard and the vehicle information system display reads "service park assist system" and the check engine light appears. Recommended dealer repair is the replacement of the "electronic shift module". this temporarily solves the problem but recurs within a few thousand miles.

- Stevensville, MI, USA

Feb 082009

About 9 times over the last 3 years, my Jeep Commander 2007 limited V8 has stalled while moving causing the electrical components including lights, radio, dashboard panel, etc to momentarily turn off. Each time, the stall is accompanied by a loud "clunking" noise. In each instance I have been traveling on the interstate 60+ mph. I am able to restart everytime by either pulling over or putting the car into neutral, restarting the engine, and then putting it back into drive while moving. I have discussed this with the dealership on two different occasions and have been told there is nothing they can do unless the check engine light comes on which has never occurred. This has happened to both of the primary drivers of the vehicle, and the ignition switch has never been accidentally turned off.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jul 152010

Commander 8-cyl

Engine stalling or not starting. Engine stalled while making a turn. Car started immediately after but engine and oil lights remained on. Service department replaced censors but that did not correct the problem. Sporadically stalls at take off, when slowing down to turn/stop, when cruise control is disengaged at highway speeds. On highway, hit brake to disengage cc and switch lanes, car stalled, turned the key without putting it in park or stopping and engine kicked back in. Car wouldn't start on one occasion and service department replaced alternator but problem still persists. Service department replaced ignition switch but problem persists with car not starting. Stuck at highway rest stop for 2 hours until car re-started. Service department stated that computer needed to be replaced, then said that they weren't getting that code the next time we had problems. Have replaced various parts but problem still persists. Service department states that they have not been able to re-create the problem while driving.

- Salem, VA, USA

Dec 172011

Commander 6-cyl

Recently experienced a." service park assist system " error with total loss of forward momentum at about 15 mph. Was able to pull over, place in park and continue going. However engine light is on, so headed to dealer Monday. I'm greatly concerned if this happens at high speed and with family in the car. Reading complaints, this is highly possible and there appears to be no real solution. Help?!!

- Downingtown , PA, USA

Nov 112011

Commander 6-cyl

Doesn't accelerate sometimes." Service park assist system " appears on the panel. I've had the oxygen sensor replaces and still have the same problems from time to time. I pull into traffic and it won't go. This could very well do harm to my family in the vehicle. I'm worried!

- Pgh, PA, USA

Nov 112011

Commander 6-cyl

I had a fearful incident as I was driving on the highway in the passing lane in my 2007 Jeep Commander going approx. 60 miles per hour. When suddenly my vehicle would not accelerate at all, it remained at 60 miles an hour for about a mile with oncoming traffic on all sides of me. An alert was displayed very quickly stating service parking assist system and my panel highlighted all gears at once. I was able to slow down and get off the highway. I took all the side roads to get home and my Jeep began to hesitate like it was going to stall on me. The next day my engine light was on and remained on and left me stalled on the highway. I contacted my dealer to get it in for diagnostic testing and it was determined that the electronic shift module was bad and needs to be replaced. I had purchased the extended warranty and was informed that the module was not a covered part. The estimated price was $1025.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Nov 022011

The "prnd" gears lit up with boxes around them - the "service parking assist brake" came on as well.... I could not accelerate at all after the light turned green - had to turn on hazard lights and turn vehicle off and back on - worked fine for 10 minutes or so and then the check engine light came on, it has been on ever since. Called the dealership about this they asked me to bring it in for diagnosing, but hesitant because of all the same kind of stories that I have read on this issue. Going to have to give in though, this is a major safety concern of mine now... have not seen a recall for this even though someone can certainly have a devastating accident, not willing to take that chance... love my vehicle, but now I hate the aggravation that this is causing.. with all the horror stories with the same sort of issue you would think that Jeep would take care of this, I guess that this is why they discontinued the Commander?

- Joliet, IL, USA

Apr 112008

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander and it is less than four years old and I have had the starter replaced 4 times. Jeep can't explain why they can't fully fix the problem and they refuse to acknowledge that this is an issue with the Commanders at large and not my specific vehicle. In addition to having had the starter replaced 4 times, I have also had the electronic shifting module replaced as well and the crankshaft. My Commander has less than 40,000 miles on it and has been well maintained since I purchased it brand new. Jeep has failed to address my concerns and refuses to accept responsibility for selling me a vehicle. Jeep suggested I purchase a new vehicle and I find this preposterous due to the fact that the car is less than four years old. The Commander is clearly defective and Jeep needs to take responsibility for it. Instead, Jeep refuses to accept responsibility and they decided to rectify the problem by halting production.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 142010

Commander 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving at low speeds, the vehicle stalled intermittently. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure and made attempts to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified and was making an attempt to assist the contact with the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 48,000 and the current mileage was 65,000. Updated 10/18/11 the consumer stated the vehicle has stalled over 12 times. It also bucks and will at times accelerate on its own. The vehicle also failed to start on 1st attempt. The vehicle would always re-start after it stalled. The consumer referenced NHTSA action # EA07007. Update evoq 11/01/11 updated 3/30/12

- Kailua, HI, USA

Feb 102010

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled twice with the illumination of a warning symbol.the dealer inspected the vehicle and initially determined the battery to be the cause of the failure but later advised that it was not and that the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 35,000 and the current mileage was 53,000.

- North East, PA, USA

Mar 222011

Commander 6-cyl

I purchased a 2007 Jeep Commander on 1/10/2011.the car has been in the shop 5 times because it stalls while in transit. The car while in drive at various speeds max that I have experienced was 55 mph shuts off. All the electrical, everything turns off. At this point you must hope that the car behind you doesnt hit you, you must put the car in park, turn it back on then put in back in drive whilepraying you do not get hit from behind. This has happened 4 times within the 90 days that I have owned it. I am told that they dont know what it is. I cannot imagine a car that just turns off when it wants to. I am afraid to drive this car.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Dec 112010

I own a 2007 Jeep Commander while driving car stalls in Dec the vehicle wouldnt start after several attempts it did however it began reading errors service park assist and check engine light stayed on then it wouldn't read fuel, would say it was empty although it had full tank of gas. Was told to replace fuel sending unit but the problem stopped on it's own when the temperature got cold the problem started up again. I'm very scared to drive it due to stalling problems not sure what to do anymore. When I called mechanic they said there is a nationwide back order on that part no timeframe given for part by dealer and still no recalls on this problem

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Mar 012011

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that his knee would continuously contact the ignition key entry, which was located on the dashboard, and causing the vehicle to completely shut off without intent. The dealer advised him to call the manufacturer and the manufacturer advised him to take the vehicle to the local dealer to determine whether or not the wiring was loose. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed for the failure. The current mileage was 43,270 and the failure mileage was 43,000.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Feb 082011

Vehicle was leaving a stop sign entering a feeder road with 50 mph speed limit. Upon accelerating, the vehicle lunged, and died. It restarted and was driven to it's original destination. We called Chrysler after she returned home and they told us to take it to a dealership for a diagnostics. Dealership says it is not covered by any recall and that the throttle body needs cleaning for $250. (a $2 can of cleaner). This same vehicle stalled twice in the same trip one week earlier but I considered it as part of the cold weather. After reading all of this, they have an issue with the 2007 hemi's and have not fessed up to it.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Nov 162010

While driving at slow speed such as slowing to stop or taking off from a dead stop the truck stalls and has to be put in park and restarted. This happens quite frequently, and when driving on interstates when trying to accelerate the truck also stalls or has a power failure where it almost feels like it its a governed speed and the engine won't let you speed up. The computer now is having issues saying that the engine coolant is too cold, thought the thermostat is working fine as well as the gauges inside the truck. The computer is also giving a code of an error with the barometric pressure.

- Antwerp, OH, USA

Dec 202010

Commander 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart by turning the key back and starting the engine. The failure occurred on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic who informed the contact that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was contacted who offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 102,000. The consumer also stated the driver's seat tilts backward on its own. The remote unlock and lock buttons only worked on occasion and finally water would enter the vehicle when it rained. Updated 03/09/11 updated 06/16/11 updated 06/23/11

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 202010

Commander 6-cyl

2007 Jeep Commander. Consumer states that the vehicle made a loud noise and all warning lights indicated the shift indicator. Mechanic replaced the esim. Consumer states the problem has returned. The consumer stated on October 23, 2010 as he was entering a parking lot at a very low speed, preparing to stop, he was unable to stop and jumped the curb and a fence.

- Oxford, NY, USA

Nov 152010

Leaving a parking lot and accelerating as I drove. All of the sudden the vehicle started stalling and would not accelerate even if the gas pedal was pushed. The check engine light came on as well. Then the vehicle started accelerating back to normal, but the check engine light reamined on. I took it to auto zone to have a diagnostic check done and they gave me a code and said that it was not a part that they carried only from the manufacturer. It has happened a couple of times before today and on the dash it would say service park assist and the gears prndl are all highlighted.the same thing happened to me about 2 years ago and it was the shifter. It only had about 40,000 miles. It had to be completely replaced. It was not covered by my extended warranty because it was an external part of the transmission. It cost close to $600. Now it is happening again and I don't want to replace it again if it is going to happen again in a year or two.

- Kingsville, TX, USA

Sep 292010

Commander 8-cyl

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander. The right rear tail light and inside dashboard panel has been consistency going out for over a year now. The fuses keep blowing. The car has been in the dealer service department several times. Even after lengthy consults with engineers at Chrysler, they cannot fix the problem. Maybe they need to get high on marijuana and drink beer to find the problem. The car is currently in the shop again.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Oct 062010

Engine stalls, and turns off.....had to pull to side of road due to loss of power. Prnd lights lite up....and feels like trans dis engaged. At 35,000 miles had the shift module replaced under warranty. It's at 56,000 miles and its doing the same thing....not covered by warranty. I feel that if I fix it now. Again....a year later the problem will still be there. Happend 4 times in month...not safe to drive.

- Camarillo, CA, USA