2007 Jeep Commander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Commander:

2007 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Sep 242015

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after a few times. The contact stated that the failure was recurring. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 13,249.

- Baldosta, GA, USA

Aug 122015

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact received a recall notification for the engine; however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Mount Airy , MD, USA

Sep 042015

Commander

Vehicle failed to start. All lights, gauges, etc. Were operational. Failed to engage starter. Towed to repair facility. Vehicle was diagnosed with a faulty power control module. Repair shop reported that due to numerous issues with the module across the county, the replacement part is currently not available and may take up to a week or longer before the part is available. Apparently, this is a common fault in these vehicles and renders our vehicle inoperable for an unacceptable length of time.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Sep 082015

Commander

While driving the car would just shut off at random losing brakes, steering and engine power as well as other comfort features. It has happened on at least 6 occasions, usually you could just shift to neutral while driving and restart the car fixing the issues. Today however it happened will switching lanes to the center turn lane. Upon applying the brakes to wait to turn left the pedal went to the floor, then on the second depress it was super stiff and very little braking force applied. This caused the Jeep to rear end the 2 other cars waiting to turn left. The airbags didn't deploy either.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

May 182015

Commander

My Jeep has been giving me problems. I drove it to birmingham, ala for 3 trips and the gas mileage declined each time ( 19-17-13) mile to the gallon. The Jeep also started shaking and trying to stop, especially when stopped at a red light and standing still. I took the Jeep to chris myers in daphne, al to see what the problem was. I left it for 2 days and gave them complaints of smelling gas when starting the engine, shaking at idle, and low gas mileage. They did the diagnostic check and found multiple cyl misfire. Found spark plugs fouled and trash in the fuel rail. They replaced spark plugs & cleaned fuel rail. It was $607.12. I drove the Jeep home and several days later it did the same thing, stopping when at regular speed almost having an accident. I called the manager he stated to bring it back & would recheck it, but I would have to pay for repairs. He also stated it was the fuel I was using, I have a truck which uses the same gas & have no problem with it. Could they not find the problem. I did not take it back because they were rude and I live 30 miles from the dealer. I did not feel safe driving the Jeep. The engine light came on and I took the Jeep to a local auto mechanic & after the test he found 2 of the O2 sensors were clogged, probably from the fuel line being cleaned. He repaired this, the Jeep still ran poorly and stopping when at idle speed. He checked the computer and found it was not working properly. He kept the Jeep for about a week and told me he would not let it go because he felt it was unsafe to drive, until all was properly working.I think I was ripped off by the first job since it was not working properly wen the first job was done. I think I should have a refund on the first job. I did not have a warranty because when the extended warranty ran I called chris myers 3-4 times and did not get call back from them

- Foley, AL, USA

Aug 032015

Commander

I drove 2 miles away from my house and parked and turned off the car. 2 hours later I went to turn on the car to go back to home and it wouldn't start. On the dash it said transmission over temp. After I kept trying for a few minutes it finally turned on. I got home and turned it off. After a hour I tried again and again it wouldn't turn on. Kept trying it turned on, I went to auto zone to get it checked and starter, engine and alternater great. Called several mechanics and they couldn't tell me anything, they'd never heard of it. Online there's hundreds of people with the same problem. Jeeps already loosing a bunch of customers, I don't want to be one of them. I love my Jeep so please figure out what the problem is. Thanks

- Plainfield , IL, USA

Jul 102014

Commander

In the summer of 2014, I was reversing and my 2007 Jeep Commander turned off twice. It has been happening more frequently since then. My Jeep turns off while driving up to 30 miles an hour, and while stopped at a light, and/or a stop sign. The check engine light sometimes turns on, but not always when Jeep turns off. Sometimes it makes a 'huffing puffing' noise like it's struggling to stay on (before it actually turns off). It always turns on right after, but I have noticed it makes a loud squeaky sound when it turns on after I crank it. That squeaky sound, sounds like the sound it makes when someone tries to crank on the vehicle after vehicle is already been on. The Chrysler recall center mailed me a recall P41 notice last summer/fall in 2014. I took it to the Chrysler Jeep dealership in mcallen, Texas for recall P41 service at that time. I've taken my Jeep to several mechanics since then, but no one seems to find the problem. The servicemen at dealership said to keep checking in with them to see if they have the part. They said problem is not related to recall P41...and keep advising me of other possible problems. I've fixed all of the possible problems suggested, and yet the 'turning off' still continues! the service manager at dealership, and the Chrysler recall center people keep telling me that Chrysler has not made part available, and for me to remove any extra keys from the key ring, and to continue driving me Jeep until the part is available. Chrysler will then mail me notice of recall part availability. I've been dealing with this problem for over a year! it is very scary, especially when it happens unexpectedly in an unreliable vehicle!! I don't feel safe.

- Princeton, TX, USA

Aug 142014

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the parts needed for the repair were not available. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,105.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 222015

Commander

The car stops when it wants rather if I'm in traffic, stop sign, red light, or interstate.. the wheel and the brakes will lock up. I've been calling Chrysler the 1800 number and local dealerships such as picayune ms and slidell la about the situation but nobody seems to care!!! they said the parts isn't in and that its the ignition switch so I payed out of my pockets for the ignition switch and got it put on with the money that I didn't have to spare but obviously that wasn't the problem.. now my car engine is making raggling and tractor noises. Barely want to start.. basically I don't have transportation to or from work and school for the fall!!!!!!!!! thanks a lot Chrysler...

- Picayune, MS, USA

Jun 152013

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving at any speed, the vehicle would jerk and stall and the check engine light illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,108.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Apr 012014

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

I am 74 years of age and at the time of my husband's death four years ago purchased a 2007 Chrysler Jeep Commander which now has 53,815 miles. I began experiencing problems with unexpected complete loss of power on both interstate highways and residential streets over the last year. These occurrences have increased in frequency at varying times when driving within the last six months, and most terrifying on the interstate where I was faced with the realization of deceleration and cutoff at the speed limit of 55 mph. I received a safety recall notice (P41/nhtsa14V-38), round or about April 2, 2015 from Chrysler group llc informing me of the vehicular problems described I am experiencing, Chrysler group's recall notice makes a clear and specific representation that repairs would performed to correct the vehicle's defects free of charge when it is returned to the dealership. Accordingly, southfield Chrysler was contacted to schedule an appointment to diagnose the problem and ordered parts on or about April 6, 2015. I have been waiting for the part(s) for nearly three weeks. On April 24, 2015 I again contacted southfield Chrysler after the vehicle hesitated to accelerate and was informed the manufacturer: "Chrysler either will not, or has not, sent the parts need to fix the problem, " contrary to the language of the notice. Southfield Chrysler will not perform repairs without payment for the parts. Southfield Chrysler has taken the position: "if I pay for repairs the manufacturer will reimburse me, " which continues to leave me subjected to injure and/or death. I do not have the available funds to pay for repairs, relative to living on a fixed income and specific and very limited budget. It is clear to me that the manufacture and dealership will not perform responsibly to address a serious life and death that they are clearly aware exist. A complaint is proper.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 202015

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The 1st incident happened at 7:45am while I was stopped in a line of traffic heading to work. I went to press the gas and nothing happened. I put my car in park and turned the key and the engine cranked up fine. It was as though the key switched back to accessory bc no check engine light, no bells, alerts nothing - and my stereo still played and my headlights were still on. Incident 2 happened at 8:00pm while back out of a parking space. The engine again turned off and headlights still worked, but not breaks or steering. Pushed key forward and vehicle cranked up again. I called palmer Dodge and they said it sounds like a faulty ignition switch, which has been recalled on my model of Jeep, but they were not doing repairs for the recall bc Chrysler hasn't issued the parts. Therefore, if I get it fixed now, I will have to pay for it and then hope Chrysler will reimburse me when the parts are available. They want me to continue to drive my vehicle which could shut off while I'm doing 80 mph down a highway for the nect 5 months" I have to pay for a part they have already recalled bc it's not openly available to everyone yet"

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Sep 012013

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The ignition switch position makes unintended position changes while driving. This has happened on several occasions and has resulted in two near-miss accidents. Additionally, on occasion, the switch won't allow the car to start, and all power is dead despite a new battery. We have been dealing with this issue for a long time. Received recall notice in Sept 2014, but Chrysler contends that part is still not available, and that the car is safe to drive. This car is not safe to drive! I have called Chrysler group recall assistance center at 1-800-853-1403 multiple times and have waited for an hour on a couple of occasions without a pick up. This is also not acceptable. Please help!

- Clarendon Hills, IL, USA

Sep 182013

Commander 8-cyl

SUV stalled on highway, this has happened for a long time now and always get the same answer. I have had many thing changed that I have been told was the issue, but nothing works. Today was that last straw. I was driving to work the SUV stalled and almost had a major accident. Something must be done about this. There seems to have been recall for this issue before, but Jeep said it was not for my VIN. Well it needs to be. Please help me get this fixed before somebody dies, like I just about did today.

- Green Cove Springs, FL, USA

Mar 042013

Commander

TL- the contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle in the rain the engine would suddenly shut off. In addition, when the engine was idling the RPM's would erroniously increase to 2200 without the throttle pedal being pressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer multiple times but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 35,000 jft

- Mount Vernon, NY, USA

Feb 072015

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 76,971. Updated 3/31/15

- Willard, OH, USA

Oct 012007

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and all the warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 102014

Commander

On the way home from work one night my engine light came on. We took it to our mechanic the next day and had it checked. We were told it was the knock sensor causing the warning. He had to order the parts to replace the sensors. After they were replaced it was just fine for about three weeks. The check engine came back on again. Took back to our mechanic he said they were bad and replaced them again. The first two were sets from auto parts suppliers but when the second part failed he ordered a set from the Jeep dealer. Well they failed. He has been in contact with the Jeep dealer trying to figure out what is wrong. According to them they have never had a problem with the knock sensor. I find that hard to believe. My mechanic is at his wits end about it. He contacted the dealer about the cost to have them check them out. They told him just to scan the computer was $94 a half hour and to run a complete test would be $100 a hour and take maybe two to three hours. I can't believe we have the only Jeep Commander that has this problem.

- Brazil, IN, USA

Dec 302013

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled and power steering malfunctioned. The vehicle restarted but the failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer and it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact mentioned that she had received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system), however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Aug 032013

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander with a chronic stalling problem. Within just a couple months of buying this used vehicle, it stalled for the first time on the New York thruway going 70 mph. Since then, the vehicle chronically and randomly will stall. I have had it stall as much as 7 times in the space of going 12 miles! it will stall on the highway at 70 mph; or stopped at a stop sign; virtually anywhere anytime! this is extremely dangerous. Recently, I had it stall on the highway; I got it restarted and drove to my exit. At the end of the exit ramp when the light turned green, I proceeded to attempt to cross a busy intersection and it died again!!! I can't trust this vehicle and am afraid to drive it much. We have taken it to the local Jeep dealership many times without successfully fixing the problem. Most recently, we left the Commander at the dealership for a week and they thought they had it fixed so we picked it up and in just over 1 day it stalled again. I work only 6 miles from home and can't make it home from work without it stalling. We have put thousands... and thousands of dollars in repairs replacing sensors (including map), exhaust pipe with catalytic converters, ignition system, ... and the list goes on. Looking on the internet, there are many websites and many complaints by other 2007 Jeep Commander owners for my same stalling problem. The 2006 Jeep Commander has had recalls for stalling... and this vehicle (2007 Commander) should be recalled and fixed. I cannot stress strongly enough how hazardous this vehicle is. Would you place your life... your loved ones lives... in a vehicle that chronically stalls anytime and anywhere without warning?? think about it! I am just looking for Jeep to fix the problem their design has caused in this vehicle.

- Ashtabula, OH, USA