2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

May 232016

• 2,000,000 miles

I just took my vehicle in to our local dealership and they tell me they can not "fix" or repair the heated seat issue because they may rip the seats. Really? oh and that they will not be responsible if they do...

- Harrison, TN, USA

Jan 232016

Grand Cherokee

#1 March 204 front angle on electric seat track clean break on track, seat unstable and unsafe vehicle underivable.replaced with salvage unit did not replace seat frame in lower cushion re used original seat. #2 1/24/16 front angle on electric track broke again, seat frame also damaged. Took apart seat frame came a part in multiple pieces with broke wields and broken metal points. Had to again buy salvage seat, could not find exact match, had to swap seat track frame, cushions and track wiring harness. Have had to work on this seat twice using all oe parts no aftermarket parts, both incidents have left the vehicle undriveable and unsafe till the part was replaced, second time seat snapped upon braking and flung me rearward to where I lost control of the vehicle, fortunately I was on a country road and was able to get of the road safely but any other incident myself or others could have been hurt I would like to give a more through description but I'm limited on characters, I also still have all the broken parts as proof.please email me for more details. Chrysler and Jeep should be held accountable for this part that is poorly manufactured it could kill someone. Please email so (I can give you full details, this has happened to this part twice!

- Elk Mound, WI, USA

Jan 192016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V673000 (air bags) and 06V197000 (seats); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available and parts distribution disconnect, respectively.

- Scotch Plains, NJ, USA

Sep 162014

Grand Cherokee

Bracket on driver seat, bracket at left front corner of seat broke....have heard of several complaints about this same thing happening with other Jeep repairs range from $400 to 900.00....

- Waleska, GA, USA

Apr 162015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 06V197000 (seats); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Jan 012015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 09V117000 (seats); however, the part to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- New Rochelle, NY, USA

Jul 312014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee seat track has a weak point on the rear scissor assembly. When you start to notice a wobble or click it means one of the tiny connecting pieces has broken. Eventually the other side will also break allowing you to lift the entire seat up. The seat bracket that connects the seat to the floor of the Jeep cracked. I started to do research and found out that this a very common issue and have caused many accidents. I have looked into getting the issue fixed and found it to be very difficult. I have found two web sites that list complaints from other people that this has happened to. I really feel that this is a safety issue and something needs to be done. These are the links to the other websites: (there are over 450 other complaints from Jeep owners. (this is another website that is directly related to these incidents.) I really hope that this is seriously considered before sever injuries result in these Jeep defect. Thank you for the consideration.

- Lansing, IL, USA

Jun 162014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Driver side electric adjustable seat bracket broke, making the seat wobble and rock from side to side and back and forth. It appears that this is adding stress to the other connecting points on the bracket and will eventually render the seat inoperable. The broken seat bracket is a hazard to safe driving.

- Kirkwood, MO, USA

Jan 022014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The drivers seat bracket holding chair has broken from regular use. While parked, I leaned back in my seat and a bracket on the front left that connects to the frame holding chair to the floor broke. This has caused the seat to become more of a rocking chair, wobbling back and forth. To my surprise a defect such as this does not warrant a recall. I wish Chrysler addresses this problems that seems to be common among some of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. If the drivers seat breaks loose from the floor during an impact or rollover, the driver could easily be thrown from the vehicle while still strapped in his/her seat. The problem seems to get worse making the car unsafe to drive.

- Layton, UT, USA

Jan 182014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

(relating to the driver-side seat only) my daughter and I was waiting at a traffic stop, (I was driving) when the light turn green I pressed on the accelerator and my entire seat including myself swung back. Because of the backward momentum, it causes me to abruptly press further on the accelerator. I was able to regain control of the vehicle and pull on the side to inspect the seat. I found that the two front brackets under the seat had broken off. Since I had adjustable power seat, I lower the seat to align the broken brackets to wedge under the bar causing the seat to stabilize or at least hold in a semi-solid position. I called Chrysler and they said they could not do anything about it since the vehicle was out of warranty. I argued that this is an unusual incident where I have never heard that the driver-side seat brackets would break off and possibly cause an accident. Especially for a Jeep, this vehicle is meant to be driven on and off road. Again, they said that there was nothing that they could do. This is a design flaw and should be address before someone gets seriously injured.

- Peekskill, NY, USA

Mar 152011

Grand Cherokee

Driver's seat frame broke. Garage welded it, but it broke again at 102,000 miles. Seat frames should never break! only vehicle I ever owned to have had this problem. Checked on line, apparently others have had this problem as well.

- Nesquehoning, PA, USA

Dec 072013

Grand Cherokee

Driving with 12 year old daughter in car. Making turn onto highway and driver's seat lurched backwards with loud "pop" sound. Almost lost control of car and scared the daylights out of my daughter. Pulled over and seat is loose of frame. There is a crack in the steel bracket where seat attaches to seat frame. I went online and saw this is a common defect in Jeep Grand Cherokee. Kind of ridiculous that this problem hasn't already been corrected. I have never owned or even heard of a car where it is common for the seat to break from its frame.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Oct 182013

Grand Cherokee

The metal bracket under my driver's seat has completely broken/snapped apart. Therefore, I'm wobbling around while driving my vehicle and it's a huge safety issue. I was told there was no recall on my model for this issue, but apparently there are a number of complaints regarding same.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Jul 022013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I was taking a turn at less than 15 mph when I heard a snap, and I felt a slight jolt to the left. After taking the turn, I began to accelerate back up to speed when my seat suddenly caused me to lean back. If I were at a higher rate of speed at either the turn or when I was accelerating I feel I would most likely have been in an accident. Upon inspection of my seat I found the bracket to my seat had snapped and caused my drivers seat to tilt backward and forward and side to side under acceleration, braking and turning. I feel as if this is a severe safety issue and needs to be recalled, especially as I am not the only one having this issue.

- Ware, MA, USA

Jul 282013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Just bought my 2004 jgc in April 2013. Pulling up to my driveway with my 4 year old in the back seat, I heard a strange pop and my driver's seat moved backwards and became unstable. Looked at the seat bracket and one side is cracked. It had made snapping noise before but I didn't know what it was. Very dangerous situation and I thank god I was driving slow and was not on the highway. I did a search online and there are 100's or thousands of complaints about the same thing. This needs to be recalled and fixed properly by Jeep.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jun 202013

Grand Cherokee

While driving down a local road. I was coming up to a red light and as I was stopping the driver seat made a popping sound and the seat back was leaning toward the right. I pulled over to see what happened and part of the frame had broken. The seat is now wobbly and leans to far one way. Luckily my husband was able to strip the seat and weld the frame to fix it. Some time later the bottom frame that connect the seat to the floor had broken and my husband welded it. It is a very dangerous situation that could had ended a lot worse if the seat frame had broken to the point that effected my driving. I tried calling Jeep directly but basically got an "it not an issue we cover or fix and your on your own". I did some research online about this issue and is a very common safety problem. People are even starting to sell beefier frames for Jeep seats and sell for $200. Jeep is looking at a very large law suit if someone gets seriously injured due to this defect. But one thing is for certain I will never buy a Jeep again!

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 162013

Grand Cherokee

Driver's side front left seat bracket has sheared while going over hilly roads. Seat now leans while turning and accelerating.

- Sunbury, OH, USA

May 132013

Grand Cherokee

My 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee front driverside seat frame cracked. I was just sitting in the car when it went pop. Now the seat rocks and is very dangerous. The federal government needs to investigate before someone gets killed. There are 100's of complaints online about this problem when is the government going to do something.

- Middletown, NJ, USA

May 092006

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated while exiting the vehicle, he heard a loud clanking sound. The driver's seat track was fractured and the failure occurred three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician verified the electric seat frame needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 108,000.

- Scotia, NY, USA

Apr 292013

Grand Cherokee

The driver seat in my vehicle had started to become loose and further inspection showed a broken seat bracket. In online searches I had found this was a common issue with this model (1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee), so common in fact that a website ( selling an improved seat frame was developed for this exact issue. This seems to be a safety concern as I can't imagine the seat belt being as effective if the seat isn't properly aligned and I have found no recall notice for this issue. I understand normal wear and tear on vehicles but it appears based on the number of complaints I was able to find online that this is more a poorly manufactured product than a wear and tear issue.

- Escondido, CA, USA