7.6

2. replace broken window regulator (7 reports)
  3. replace window regulator and motor (4 reports)
  4. replaced all window motors (2 reports)
  5. replace wiring harness (1 reports)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012008

Grand Cherokee 4.0L V6

Have had a window regulator break 5 times before the back two were permanently closed with a 2x4 holding them in place.

- , Portsmouth, VA, USA

Jun 192016

Grand Cherokee Special Edition 4.0L Straight 6

I will NEVER own another jeep. I have had nothing but trouble out of the windows and electrical on this jeep. when I get the thing paid for I'm putting a for sale sign in it and getting away from jeeps. The passenger front window went out then the back passenger window now the front drivers window. IT IS JUNK...... Jeep stands for JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET.

- , White Pine, TN, USA

May 152010

Grand Cherokee 4.0L V6

Went to have it fixed the first time. Four other guys in there for the same reason. Later, three other windows went out; they're now held up by a 2x4 I put inside the door assembly. At least my driver side works, would be some pretty awkward traffic stops otherwise.

- , Portsmouth, VA, USA

May 012015

Grand Cherokee

One window will cost 350.00 I was told so I have done nothing.

May 062015

Grand Cherokee

I was told it would cost 350.00 a window. Sometimes one will work.. I know there is a short but where.

May 012015

Grand Cherokee

First my back passenger window quit working than my front passenger side window now it my driver side window.

My driver side outside side mirror don't work.

Nov 032015

Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O

Shut the door on my car one day and the window just fell down. Had to push it back up by hand and duct tape it to park in a public parking lot without anyone stealing anything, it was, without a doubt, pretty inconveniencing.

- , Kalamazoo, MI, USA

May 132015

Grand Cherokee Limited 6 cyl

The problem began with the windows, sometimes they will work to go down but I would have to wait at least 15 minutes to let them back up. Then my lights interior and exterior wouldn't go off so I had to turn them off manually. Now the windows will not let down at all. And I have to use my lights manually. I have to run my a.c. more then I can afford to due to the windows not working. I have read other complaints about the same issue. I believe it should be a recall to fix this problem.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 012009

Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L

Tried to roll window up down and wouldn't work. I finally had to make sure window lock was on so no one could touch it. I didn't want it stuck down. Still not working after all these years.

- , Orting, WA, USA

Dec 112013

Grand Cherokee LAR 3.2L

In the 3yrs I've owned this Jeep we've had to replace all four of the window motors for the electric windows. The last time it happened it was in the middle of winter on one of the coldest days of the year, while driving home I heard a loud pop, sounded like the window broke. The loud sound scared the crap out of me and about caused me to crash, not long after that the window fell down and I couldn't get it to roll back up. Let me tell you it was a long cold ride home and I was so pissed. It's a good damn thing I was baby sitting my nieces baby that night.

On all four windows it makes that really loud crack that sounds like the window is breaking, they should recall this. I think their window system is sh*t and cheap, I really think for the price we paid for this Jeep we shouldn't have this problem. I should be reimbursed for the price and labor for getting them fixed. It cost me 35 dollars a piece for each of the doors and the labor was 65 dollars for each door.

- , Chariton, IA, USA

Jul 252013

Grand Cherokee V8

I drive a Jeep Cherokee and I rarely ever have passengers in the rear seat, but on a daily basis I open and close the door to get my purse or lunch box out. I shut the door and the window instantly dropped out of place. I could not afford to get it fixed so my friend and I wedged a 2x4 in there to keep it up until I can get it fixed. A local shop quoted me about $250 to fix!! YIKES

Jun 212013

Grand Cherokee V8

The front driver side window on my Jeep Cherokee fell out of place when I shut the door. The dealership could not get it in until the next monday and there was rain in the forcast for the next day. I do not park in a garage, so I was very upset. This was the second time this had happened to me. The dealership only covered the cost of labor, I had to pay for the part which was $250. Not too happy since I bought this Jeep.

Sep 142012

Grand Cherokee V8

I had just bought my Jeep in Sept 2012 and not even a week later the rear passenger window fell out of place when my brother in law shut the door. The dealership fixed it at no cost because I had just bought it. Im lucky they fixed it because this was just one of the 4 windows that needed this fixed in less than a year.

Jun 012013

Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L

This is the third time that my rear passenger window regulator has died. The first time it was covered under an extended warranty and was replace. The second time was on the way to the beach, and now the third time in 90 degree weather and now we are struggling to find the cause. I do remember CarMax stating a wire was no longer grounded and that was what cause the shortage. The second time my mechanic repaired the window at $200, and three years later it's out again. The same window. Not to mention my passenger tail-light has a shortage. Coincidence I think not. All of this is on the same side and it's electrical and not to mention I notice a lot of Cherokee's with the same tail light out.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Feb 012008

Grand Cherokee Aluminum 4.0L V6

Al four window's have broke.I replaced two of them and now they are broke again including the two back windows which I haven't replaced because of the 460.00 cost per window. I have wedges put in the doors to hold the glass up.I will never buy another Jeep.

- , New Bethlehem, PA, USA

Aug 142008

Grand Cherokee Laredo V6

All 4 window regulators broke within one year (15k miles). 2 went at the same time, and the other two were separate occurrences. Had duct tape holding my windows up until I was able to get them fixed. $425 a pop.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 152011

Grand Cherokee

A whole host of problems manifest themselves when the wiring harness in the driver's door went bad. The plastic coating on the wires became brittle and cracked in the hinge area causing shorts and disconnections. Windows not functioning was just one of the many minor pain in the but things that this problem caused.

- , Claremont, NH, USA

Jan 152008

Grand Cherokee Special Edition V8

It was the middle of winter, very cold and snowing and as I was driving the passenger side front window slowly proceeded to go down and would not go back up. Could not use vehicle until repairs were made. Had to cancel appointments and cover the window with plastic to keep the snow out.

- , Moon Township, PA, USA

Sep 092011

Grand Cherokee Special Edition V8

Unable to use vehicle until the window was repaired as the issue was with the drivers side front window and it had been raining and weather forcast was for rain for the next several days.

- , Moon Township, PA, USA

Jul 012011

Grand Cherokee Special Edition I6

The problem was a simple small plastic piece cracked and failed where the "up" regulator cable attaches. I have found MANY identical complaints via Google search. The failure occurred while we were traveling and of course it rained that day (no rain damage luckily).

I found instructions online, bought the replacement part, and made the repair in two hours myself. My cost/claim is $121.83 + 2hours of my time @ $75/hr.

My biggest concern is that my other windows will probably also fail. Jeep needs to extend the warranty indefinitely on this problem.

- , Mason, OH, USA