2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jan 112010

Grand Cherokee

Please save the children! the front passenger side and both rear passenger interior door handle latches don't function and no one can get out of the vehicle. Only the driver can exit the vehicle. My husband carpools our child and neighborhood children to school. We took our car into get it repaired at tallahassee Dodge Chrysler Jeep today and they quoted us $650 per door or $1,950. The blue book value of the car is less than that. Why is there not an nhtsb recall on these? I've seen thousands of complains online. Please help! this is madness! it is an obvious defect. If you review the complaints, you will see that most of those affected have lost functionality in all four doors and the driver can't even get out of the car. We are, unfortunately, waiting for that to happen, as well. Thank you, kindly, for your consideration. The vehicle was stationary, as we were trying to exit the car.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Dec 232016

Grand Cherokee

Issue 1 - all the internal door handled have broken. This limits passenger egress in the even of an accident. Issue 2 - this past weekend all the lights on the car flickered and briefly turned off while driving at night on the highway. This includes the headlights, parking lights, fog lights, and all interior lights. It appears there is a known problem with the light switch mechanism in the multi function turn signal assembly. This present a very dangerous situation if traveling on a two lane rural road.

- Lorton, VA, USA

Dec 012016

Grand Cherokee

The interior door handles broke on all 4 doors.three out of 4 doors no longer open.I have to put down my window to open the door from the outside or I have someone open it for me from the outside.I feel this is a safety issue because I can't get out of my vehicle quickly if there is ever an emergency.

- East Longmeadow, MA, USA

Jul 062016

Grand Cherokee

All of our interior door handles have cracked and the drivers side no longer works. Each is cracking in the same way leading me to believe it is an engineering problem not just a regular use problem. We can no longer get in or out of the vehicle from the drivers positiion.

- Parker, CO, USA

Aug 012016

Grand Cherokee

All four interior door handles have cracked and broken from regular wear. Rear passenger door will now only open from the outside. I have spoken to several other Jeep Cherokee 2005-2006 owners who have had the same exact thing happen.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Sep 012012

Grand Cherokee

Interior door latch on rear driver and passenger side door completely broke off and drivers side front door latch beginning to crack around plastic and incur same problem. This is a huge safety issue in case of accident or fire one would be trapped inside vehicle unable to exit presumably dying from injuries. This is an obvious on going problem with the Jeep Cherokee and I feel Chrysler needs to own responsibility for this and incur the expense of all repairs.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 132016

Grand Cherokee

The plastic surrounding the interior door handles on 3 of the doors has broken away. One of those doors now cannot be opened from inside the vehicle. This issue could be very dangerous if there is a wreck and/or fire that the occupant needs to exit the vehicle quickly. A quick search on the internet reveals that this is a huge problems in models 2005-2010

- Lexington, NC, USA

Jun 102014

Grand Cherokee

3 out of the 4 interior door handles in my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited have severely cracked and are even missing parts of the panel. During my research online I have found that I am no where near the only one having this issue with these models and it appears to be a manufacturer defect.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jun 202016

Grand Cherokee

Interior door handle assembly has cracked on all 4 doors (handle has completely fallen off on right rear passenger door) and handles are now inoperable. This is a huge safety hazaard. Driver and passengers are unable to open doors from the inside. If in an accident there would be no way for the occupants of this vehicle to easily exit. Jeep/Chrysler does not acknowledge that this is a known problem on this vehicle. The only option available is to replace the entire interior door panel which is approximately $700+ per door. This is absolutely absurd. Jeep/Chrysler needs to recall these vehicles and fix this issue before someone is killed because they are trapped inside a vehicle whose doors will not open from the inside.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

May 072013

Grand Cherokee

The trunk door for this car does not stay open and hits your head of can close on your hand if you are not careful. I have taken it to the dealer and they told me that the parts that hold the door open need to be changed (they look like hydraulic arms).

- Oakland, CA, USA

Apr 302016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the front driver's side interior door handle completely fractured with numerous cracks. The contact lowered the window glass to access the exterior door handle in order to exit the vehicle. The front passenger's side interior door handle and both rear interior door handles exhibited excessive cracks. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 163,415.

- Wheat Ridge, IN, USA

May 052015

Grand Cherokee

Driver and passenger interior door handle broke off in our hand will trying to open the door, these happend 4 months apart, this is a high priorty saftey issue have to roll down the window to open the door, god forbid we get in an accident and cant roll down the windows to get out, help

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Jan 222016

Grand Cherokee

When opening up the right rear passenger door, the door latch broke off in my daughters hand. No force able opening had been done, this was in a parked position stopped in a parking lot stall. I do not allow any passengers on this side for fear of not being able to get out in case of an emergency.

- Marietta, OH, USA

Jan 052015

Grand Cherokee

Driver's side door handle came apart. Replaced door handle. Now the two back seat door handles are coming apart. This is a safety hazard in that if there is an accident, there is no way for the passengers in the back to get out. Especially a problem if there are children sitting in the back. It never should be that all door handles on a car come apart.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Nov 152015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the door handle was fractured. In addition, the contact mentioned that water was entering the vehicle through the range door gasket. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 139,718.

- Milford, DE, USA

Jan 192016

Grand Cherokee

Three of my inside door handles broke off, called Jeep thay only sell the door panel about $600 for one door panel installed I think Jeep needs to recall to fix this problem thanks wally tubilewicz.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Sep 012015

Grand Cherokee

The right rear door handle has broken off making it impossible to open the door from the inside. The plastic that the handle mounts to has completely disintegrated and the right front door is starting to do the same thing. The vehicle is otherwise in excellent condition and has been impeccably maintained. After researching this issue I found that this appears to be a chronic problem. This is a serious safety concern as it is impossible to exit the vehicle from these doors.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 192011

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

All 4 door handles of my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee are broken. The 2 rear handles are completely broken off so the doors don't open from the inside. The 2 front handles are basically hanging by a thread. It's definitely a safety issue-if anyone, especially kids, were in the backseat they would not be able to escape during an accident. While researching the recent ignition recall, I stumbled on many, many people with the same door handle problem - I thought our car was just a lemon! the cost to fix one door is $700 and certainly not in the budget so we've had to live with it! the potential safety risk of this should be of great concern and Jeep should be required to fix it!! thank you.

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

Oct 232015

Grand Cherokee

3 of the interior door handles are cracked, the driver and passenger door handles and rear driver side passenger, this is a dangerous safety issue, if handle completely breaks in an emergency situation passengers would not be able to exit the vehicle causing serious injury or death. www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/grand_cherokee/2005/accessories-interior/door_handles_have_broken_from_interior_door_panels.shtml

- Dublin, CA, USA

Sep 102015

Grand Cherokee

My inside door handles are cracking and collapsing. The plastic is defective and does not last. I now open my driver door by rolling my window down and opening it from the outside. I went to moore Chrysler Jeep in peoria AZ and they took pictures but they came back and said they will not be fixing this because its out of there good will period. This is not ok, there are 1000's of people with the same exact problem! I believe they should fix this for free!

- Glendale, AZ, USA