2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Jun 102015

Grand Cherokee

The inside driver door handle assembly has cracked and broken thus rendering the door a safety hazard should the driver need to exit the vehicle quickly. I contacted Jeep and the only solution is to replace the entire interior door panel at a cost of $700 plus. This seems to be a pretty common defect with this model as well as the Jeep commanders.

- Richmond, VA, USA

May 012014

Grand Cherokee

There is a known issue on the Jeep Grand Cherokee 2005 model where the interior door handle housing cracks and the handle falls and becomes unusable. This happens on all doors of car but the first one to go in my case was the drivers side door. Once the handle falls you are unable to get out of the car using that door. In the event of an emergency this could be extremely hazardous. Jeep has not provided a fix except to replace the entire door. A recall is needed as almost everyone with this model of car is having the same issue.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 172012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Approx. 2012, the casing that the inside door handle sits on cracked and broke apart; and, as a result, the door could no longer be opened from the inside because the handle was no longer secured and just hanged. I noticed approx. A year ago that the handle's casing was cracked on both the back driver and front passenger sides. Since, the back driver's side has broken and the door cannot be opened from the inside. I just noticed that the driver's side is also cracked and with time it will also break and the door can no longer be opened. This is a dangerous because once the casings break it does not allow anyone to exit from the vehicle. I am in awe that the issue has not been resolved when many others have the same safety concern. This is not a matter of wear and tear because very seldom does anyone sit in my back seats. No design or defect should compromise the handle where a passenger is not able to exit a car.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Apr 172012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Interior, front, right and left door handles inoperable due to plastic mount breaking. Make egress with window up impossible. Our side door handle must be used to exit vehicle.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Feb 012010

Grand Cherokee

Door handle broke off on the driver door and every door handle is about to break. Due to very weak and dry plastic used to make from Jeep. Extreme safety hazard for all of the occupants of the vehicle especially in an emergency situation. Children or adults in seats not knowing how to get out of car in an emergency could be deadly. Jeep should have a recall on this situation.

- Sedona, AZ, USA

Mar 272015

Grand Cherokee

I was pulling into my driveway and the vehicle shut off and the brakes would not stop and my car ran into my pump house.

- Wrens, GA, USA

Dec 012014

Grand Cherokee

The two back inside door handles are cracked and broken. The rear passenger side door cannot be opened from the inside. The passenger side door handle is also cracked and its a matter of time before all doors cannot be opened from the inside.

- Pierson, FL, USA

Mar 032009

Grand Cherokee

Lo compre en el aŅO 2009 marzo quiero saber si ES legal la camioneta.

- Ami Gardens, FL, USA

Jan 232012

Grand Cherokee

The interior driver door panel is broken by the interior door handle. It started as a crack in the plastic by the handle. Now there is a hole in the plastic behind the handle. Because of this, the door handle has to be used very carefully. The whole panel has to be replaced at a cost of over $900. I am concerned that in an emergency, I would not be able to open the door from the inside. The back seat driver side door handle is also starting to crack. I feel this is a design flaw with the Jeep.

- Kamuela, HI, USA

Dec 232014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The interior door handles are all broken because Jeep decided to go with the cheap route instead of using quality parts. The door handles crumble with very little effort and make it impossible to get out of the car from the inside. This is a very serious problem because if there were an accident or if the car were to become submerged, I would not be able to open my door from the inside and I would die. I've seen many complaints from other Jeep owners online and it is ridiculous that a factory defective part like this would not be recalled when it can cause a safety concern like this.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Jun 112012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the front driver, front passenger, and rear passenger side door handles fractured. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,000. Updated 10/30/14 the consumer stated 3 out of 4 door locks were broken and cannot be opened from the inside. Updated 04/27/2015

- Sun City Center, FL, USA

Feb 072013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I was sitting at a red light and a Florida state trooper was behind me, also stopped. When the light turned green, the cars in front of me started to move forward so I took my foot off of the brake to ease forward, awaiting to hit the gas when the trooper hit his gas, slamming into the back of my Jeep so hard that it lifted the back of my Jeep up and forced the front end to hit the vehicle in front of me at the bottom of his rear bumper - pushing me forward into the car in front of me approximately 7 feet. My Jeep stalled during the hit but the air bags did not deploy.

- North Port, FL, USA

Jun 172014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

When backing into parking space the car took off like a rocket ship/full throttle (5.7 hemi) like it had a mind of it's own. The result was property damage (unknown amount) and car damage over $7600 not including car rental for 2 weeks. Chrysler sent inspector to body shop and their determination was they found nothing wrong and said the case is closed. A Jeep/Chrysler dealership replaced the throttle body January 31, 2014 under warranty. We know this was not driver error. It was the scariest 15 seconds of our lives and could have easily killed someone. Now we wonder when will it happen again" we would like to know, has there ever been an engine going to full throttle accident involving a 2005 Jeep/Chrysler product"

- Bullhead City, AZ, USA

Jul 012012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the interior door handle housing on all of the doors fractured. The vehicle was taken to dealer who confirmed the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and no repairs were made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 127,000 and the current mileage was 150,000.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jun 242014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

In route to open gym for my 3yr old, after exiting expressway in traffic approx 5-7mins, SUV shuts off. After it shut off it would nt start for approx 4 mins, it did not fully crank yet cranked, in a putting pattern, I was able to pull it out of traffic into an office park located at 3525 piedmont rd ne atl, ga 30308 in front of building 7 entering from piedmont rd. Once parked, my temp gauge was on hot panned hard right, the SUV would not start, I allowed it to cool down to halfway, during that time I made 4 attempts to start the SUV. Each time it would putter, or sound as if it was out of gas. Once SUV cooled to half I attempted to start and it started in the same putter fashion as before, yet appearing to catch as if it was start normal, all the while smoking out the back a slight pop could be heard coming from underneath the front of the vehicle, yet as it appeared to start I would give it gas with hopes that it would catch and then it just shut off and started smoking and there was a noticeably different odor that my 3 yr old and I smelled, from there I got out of the truck to see if the smoke was coming from the radiator, since the temp gauge was just on hot, I notice there was a fire burning in the lower back of the engine region, I immediately lowered the hood due to not having anything to prop it open with, I immediately got my 3 yr old son out of the vehicle to safety, I return to get his car seat and anything to hopefully salvage, I then return to the SUV to put out the fire out as best I could, I appeared to out on both sides and just smoking badly. Called a ride to take me and my 3yr old home. The following day I checked the SUV, the engine area, hood, front windshield had completely burned, there is no hood area, the hood is in the windshield, and everything else forward chard and melted, to the yellow pieces, I was able to take photos, and a video.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 032014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Rear door of vehicle-trunk door-will sometimes not stay in place and has hit my fiance in the head a couple of times. Unsure of cause, or how to fix.

- Seaford, DE, USA

Apr 122011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the plastic door panel area that was surrounding the handle became cracked on all four doors. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but the technician was unable to diagnose a reason for the failure. No repairs were done to the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified about the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 97,000.

- Solana Beach, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the plastic interior doors handles were cracked. The front driver's side and both rear doors exhibited the failure and could not be engaged. The contact and passenger's would have to open the window and engage the rear door handles in order to exit the vehicle. In addition, there were shards of the door handle breaking off and falling into the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was advised that the door handles, the molding and the frame of the door would need replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Mar 162014

Grand Cherokee

Since we purchased this vehicle, the rear door handles and the passenger door handles have been cracked. Over the course of us owning the vehicle for the past year the rear door handles no longer open from the inside. This is a not only a problem but a safety issue because if there would be an accident or a fire or anything people in the back seats would be stuck in the vehicle. I have read many, many similar issues regarding this issue and how Jeep refuses to fix it unless you buy a whole new door panel which can be up to $600 a door. Chrysler should really recall these vehicles, it is a terrible design and something needs to be done.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Mar 102010

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that all four interior door handles were fractured. The occupants would have to engage the exterior door handles by to exit the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Dresden, TN, USA