2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Oct 192014

Grand Cherokee

I was on the freeway stopped in traffic but driving slowly as traffic moved when I tried to drive the steering wheel the brake and gas pedal felt really stiff so when that happened I just put the truck on park and turned it off and back on and after doing that it drove normally.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 052014

Grand Cherokee

During a recent brake job, I removed my brake rotors. My Jeep Grand Cherokee (2005) has a combination disk and drum brake system in the rear in a single rotor. The drum brakes are for the emergency brake system. When I removed the rear rotors one of the drum brake pads fell off on the floor. I checked the other three pads from both rear tires and all of them were on the verge of coming off. They appear to be glued on and glue failed. These are factory installed brake pads. This seems like a safety issue. I should also note that these drum brake pads had virtually no wear.

- Fuquay Varina, NC, USA

Sep 052011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the engine stalled without warning. Also, when the brakes were applied, there was a delay before the vehicle could stop. The failures have occurred for the past three years. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system:ignition:switch); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Salem, OR, USA

Sep 192013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact heard an abnormal noise when the brake pedal was depressed. While the vehicle was shut off, the brake light, rear tail light, and windshield wipers activated independently. The dealer stated that the brake bar links, the bar brushes, and the front and rear differential pinion seals needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Aurora , IL, USA

Jul 022014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph making a right turn, an abnormal sound emitted from the wheels and the brakes failed. The air bag and traction control light illuminated the contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician was unable to find a failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,000.

- Eunice, LA, USA

Aug 152012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 65 mph, the entire instrument panel illuminated intermittently and the messages "service electrical brake system" and "service electrical system" appeared on the information panel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Richfield, MN, USA

Aug 062014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Driving 16 miles per hour entering in to a left turn when engine shut down, lost control of vehicle, no power steering and no brakes.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Apr 242014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while reversing at unknown speeds, the vehicle failed to accelerate a loud noise emitted from the rear wheels. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who stated that the rear brakes had seized. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 79,443. The VIN was unavailable.

- Greer, SC, USA

Jan 262014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I was driving on the highway and the truck just shut off completely for no reason then restarted itself this happen 3 times that day and has happen 2 more times after that.

- Essex, MD, USA

Oct 072013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Emergency brake shoes (rear) delaminated from caliper and jammed up in the brake drum preventing the vehicle from rolling. This could have occurred while vehicle was at speed and caused an uncontrolled braking situation. After reading several posts on numerous Jeep blogs I see that my vehicle was not an exception.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Aug 082013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

As I pulled into my apartment complex around 5:30am on 8/08/2013, I noticed a loud "thud" sound and my Jeep became stalled in the driveway. I pressed gently on the gas pedal to move my vehicle out of oncoming traffic, but the Jeep wouldn't move and then finally jolted into drive without me pressing on the gas pedal. I was able to coast to a parking spot. The service 4-wheel drive indicator light came on the dash before I shut the ignition off. The vehicle has been serviced appropriately and efficiently over the past 2 years since I purchased it. I called shore tire on 8/9/2013 to set up an appointment for a mechanic to look at my vehicle. I was able to drive the Jeep at 10mph a mile down the road on 8/12/2013 to the service shop. I was informed the parking brake ad dislodged itself from the shaft, dismantling the rear backing plate system, left rear ABS sensor, left rear axle/hub and damaged the rear rotors. I had to pay $1,320.30 for parts and labor.

- Lenexa, KS, USA