2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 272015

Grand Cherokee

I drove into an advance auto parking and when I was driving the car seem to accelerated and I could not turn the wheel on the car I tried to push the brakes to stop the car but the braking system was not working. I could not turn the wheel and the braking system was not working and I started to panic. My car ran right into a metal pole and totaled my car. The police at the seen told me and my husband that the impact that the vehicle took, the airbags should of came out, but they did not. My car is totaled and the body of the car in the front is split in half.

- Newton, NC, USA

Jul 162015

Grand Cherokee

I was driving down the highway going approximately 65 mph when, without warning, the vehicle shut down completely. Engine shut down, all power steering, braking, and power systems were lost. Luckily, I was in the far right lane and was able to pull safely to the side of the road. Once the vehicle came to a complete stop I was able to restart the vehicle and continue on. This is an extremely dangerous issue. After calling the dealer was told there was a recall for the symptoms described but no parts available to fix it and it could be months before it could be fixed. No offer was made to provide me with a vehicle to drive while the issue remained open. I am not going to endanger my life, my family's lives, or the lives of other drivers by continuing to operate this vehicle. The dealer should be required to provide an alternate mode of transportation to the customer if the issue cannot be resolved in a timely manor.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Jul 222015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. After several attempts, the vehicle was able to start. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle shut of and the power steering and power brakes failed. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the parts were unavailable to perform the repairs. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall remedy. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Piedmont, SD, USA

Jun 182015

Grand Cherokee

I had my vehicle valet parked with a single key in the ignition. Upon receiving my car I got into the drive seat and proceeded to push my seat forward since I had a passenger behind me and was providing extra leg room. We proceeded to leave the parking area of the hotel and at a speed of about 15 mph I turn to adjust and item on the rear floor when my knee hit the key and the entire car was switched off. I had no steering since it was in locked position and the brakes was difficult to stop. The engine was off. I am just glad I was not on the freeway at 65 mph. Why is it taking Chrysler (Fiat) one year to get a fix for this recall?

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Oct 192014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 30 mph, the brakes and the steering wheel seized. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The vehicle sustained significant damage to the front end, but the air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The driver suffered a fractured right foot and a forehead laceration that required medical attention. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact stated that the recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) was received in September of 2014, but the parts were not available. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Duncan, OK, USA

May 152015

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle began uncontrolled acceleration after being put in drive into a tree

- Niles, OH, USA

Mar 272015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a recall notification for an unspecified NHTSA campaign number. The vehicle was not repaired due to the parts not being available. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact's wife experienced difficulty steering, braking, and unexplained acceleration, which resulted in a head on collision with a tree. The vehicle was destroyed and towed from the scene. The contact's wife struck her head and suffered loss of consciousness, which required medical attention. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The approximate failure mileage was 83,799.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 102014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle failed to stop. The failure recurred several times. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Seymore, WI, USA

Apr 042015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My 200 Jeep Grand Cherokee is affected by the manufacturer recall number: P41. While driving this past weekend with my wife and two small children. The ignition switch changed positions causing the engine to shut off with steering and braking greatly reduced. Thankfully I was not on the highway traveling at high speeds. This occurred in a residential neighborhood while driving 25mph. Thankfully no other vehicle or pedestrian was in our path. This was extremely scary and could have been extremely dangerous and deadly. I am completely unsatisfied with Chrysler responsiveness to this issue. Our Jeep is my wife's primary vehicle and drives my children around daily. I feel this vehicle is unfit and unsafe to drive. Chrysler promised a solution by the end of the first fiscal quarter which is months past. When will a solution be available" I fell Chrysler is responsible to provide my family with a safe vehicle, is a rental or loaner vehicle an option until a solution is provided" please help...

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 142014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled and the check engine light and the ABS light illuminated. Also, the contact stated that the brakes engaged independently. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000. Updated 5/11/15

- West Minster, CO, USA

Mar 112015

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

While getting on the freeway about to merge on the middle left lane my vehicle all the sudden flick on all the dashboards lights - did not loose any power, but got my very concerned. 3 days later 3/14/2015 while I was putting to a parking space about to make another left turn the steering lock and lost all power. Lights were on, but I had no breaks and no steering. When tried to start the vehicle the engine had a hard time starting. Per the recalled online it says to adjust seat and not to have any other keys with the vehicle key. There were no other keys on this. I called my local dealer and there was no information on this.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 012005

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the contact noticed an intermittent knocking noise. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle jerked. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The contact was unsure about what needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. However, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 012014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the brake pedal was depressed and remained depressed. The contact had to depress the brake pedal repeatedly before it released in order to move the vehicle forward. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to repairer the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 4/7/15 the consumer stated the vehicle stalled several times. Updated 04/14/15

- St Rose, LA, USA

Feb 162015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

When I was driving my 2005 Grand Cherokee, the vehicle turned itself off causing me to lose braking and steering power. The ignition recall is what is going on however Chrysler/Jeep does not have the parts to fix the problem nor are the offering any possible solutions. They are refusing a rental car due to the issue not being life threatening. However, having a vehicle shut itself off while driving is very life threatening to myself, passengers in the vehicle and innocent bystanders around me on the road. I am highly dissatisfied with Chrysler.

- Phillipsburg , NJ, USA

Feb 152015

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle loses power, power steering and power brakes and then shuts off while driving. Believe this is related to recall P41 which has no parts available at the present time. I feel my car is not safe to drive and am requesting a rental vehicle until part becomes available. Since I have to have the car towed to the dealership for a diagnosis I want to make sure the part is available. I am expecting Chrysler to reimburse me for all my expenses relating to this fix.this problem has occurred 5 other times besides this last occurr- ence.

- Burien, WA, USA

Feb 022015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the air bag warning indicator continuously illuminated. The contact drove approximately 5 miles and the warning indicator went off. In addition, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (service brakes, air) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Cayuga, NY, USA

Jul 152014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the steering wheel seized and the brake pedal was depressed but failed to respond. The contact had to apply excessive force to the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 8,000.

- Shinnston, WV, USA

Jun 182010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving to the work, a semi truck was front of my Jeep, it was a stop sign and the semi truck was stopping and I was slowing down to stop, but my Jeep didn't slow down. Even I was pressing the brake, didn't stop on time and I crashed to the semi truck. Luckily, didn't give any damage to the semi truck, but my Jeep end up total lost. After I got this recall from mail, I realize, the accident wasn't my fault, the Jeep had a factory defected. I need some one to answer this for me. Because I lost my Jeep and got another car to go to work. Till now I was asking myself how I couldn't stop the Jeep and it was only 15 to 20 miles an hours. Now I know it wasn't me.

- Watsela, IL, USA

Dec 062014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel seized and the brakes failed causing the contact to crash. The specifics of the crash were not available. The air bags failed to deploy. The front passenger sustained unknown injuries that required medical attention. A police report was not filed. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the parts to do the repair was unavailable. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 185,000.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. In addition, the contact stated that two batteries were replaced within three years.the contact also stated that the instrument panel become inoperable. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was unknown.

- North Miami, FL, USA